A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Attention California Employees - Contact Labor Commission

Posted: Apr 14, 2015

Nuance is required to pay for your 10-minute rest breaks separately and clearly display it on your pay stub.  You are owed 1 hour of pay for every day PAID breaks are not provided going back 3 years.  Their nonsense of stating breaks are figured into your line pay is illegal since when you log out to take a break, your production stops.  Contact your local labor commission. 

It's not only California. - ....

[ In Reply To ..]
good luck with that though.

Labor Board - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
It's pretty easy to file a claim. You can print it from home. Liquid damages (interest) is a little tricky, but even just the penalty for 3 years at an hour a day is 780 hours of pay.

It isn't ONE HOUR of break time per day ??? - Dont you mean 15 mins? n/m

[ In Reply To ..]
x
Sorry, NEVERMIND...I just read the post below - That explains this...thx n/m
[ In Reply To ..]
x

Pennsylvania requires breaks to be paid as well - sm

[ In Reply To ..]

Per the pa.gov Labor Law Compliance section:

"What is the Law Regarding Breaks and Meal Periods?

Pennsylvania employers are required to provide break periods of at least 30 minutes for minors ages 14 through 17 who work five or more consecutive hours. Employers are not required to give breaks for employees 18 and over. If your employer allows breaks, and they last less than 20 minutes, you must be paid for the break. If your employer allows meal periods, the employer is not required to pay you for your meal period if you do not work during your meal period and it lasts more than 20 minutes. A collective bargaining agreement may also govern this issue."

I'm in CA - but the only way I'll get a "lawyer" - and try to get this going back 3 years

[ In Reply To ..]
is if they fire me or lay me off. Can't afford to jeopardize my job otherwise. And BTW, it's NOT 1 HOUR per day; I think it's more like 15 minutes.

Hear that Nuance? Fire me or lay me off and I'll get a lawyer and sue you not only for 3 years' worth of non-paid break time BUT I will also sue for 3 years' of monthly internet--something else they are required to pay for in CA. For now I'd rather just keep my job. I am sure if they were ever forced to pay this (or internet) they'd simply force out all CA MTs (there are other states too). Sucks but it is how it is.

Don't need a lawyer - labor board

[ In Reply To ..]
You don't need a lawyer for a wage claim with the labor board. They just set up a hearing and even it did go past that, Nuance is required to pay your lawyer fees. I think most people assume they'll need a lawyer. Call the labor board and just let them know. They're definitely on your side.

Internet - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
The Labor Board will handle your internet claim also.

1 hour penalty - whistle-blower protection

[ In Reply To ..]
Their penalty is 1 hour per day breaks are not paid. You don't get 1 hour off and it's not 1 hour for each break. It totals 1 hour per day of penalty they owe you. You are protected by labor codes 98.6 and 1102.5. They can't fire you or retaliate in any way if you enforce this law.

Preying on misinformed - Fedup

[ In Reply To ..]
They are counting on people not knowing the laws. I think it's already clear they're forcing us all out.

Question - sm - mt2

[ In Reply To ..]
My shift is 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. - requiring me to take a 30-minute break, which I'd rather not and just be done 1/2 hour earlier. So you're saying I should be scheduled 8-4 with my 30-minute break included? I'm not in CA.
Meal vs rest period - anon
[ In Reply To ..]
No. Your meal break is separate and is not required to be paid. There is a requirement for a 10-minute rest period in Ca every 4 hours, or major portion thereof, to be paid and not deducted from your total hours. Nuance's policy of requiring California employees to log out if they want to take a break is not legal. There are only a few states that this is a requirement though.

At least we in California get internet paid now, - even if it is

[ In Reply To ..]
only going back to August of last year. It is a start.

Internet - xo

[ In Reply To ..]
Congratulations are in order! I'm thrilled for the CA residents. There is a long way to go to make all the wrongs right, but it is, as you said, a start. It infuriates me to think of how may thousands (or more) of dollars Nuance has unfairly pocketed just with this one aspect alone. The money they line their pockets with from the various ways they steal from us must be astronomical.

Ya, I got that email too (I'm in CA) - You know Nuance HATES to have to do this

[ In Reply To ..]
They only reluctantly are doing it of course; some MT in CA probably pointed it out to them and they decided they better do it before too many more find out. Thanks to that MT! BUT I have a feeling it will be bittersweet. They will just NOT hire from CA or other states that require this as well. I don't think MM hires from CA anymore. They will have to lay me off or fire me bc I'm not letting them get rid of me so easy. I'm getting unemployment while I look for another job. Also, if they lay me off/fire me I will also sue them for back internet/mandatory break times. Nuance, you can't afford to let me go. LOL. Ya right

You and me both. Break time pay is next on my - agenda. The crooks.

[ In Reply To ..]
x
Me too!! nm - AnotherAnon
[ In Reply To ..]

They do it because they can - Time to stand up

[ In Reply To ..]
:) I've had enough of their wage theft. I am questioning everything that I let slide for so many years. Most people assume you need a lawyer and many years in court....YOU DON'T!!! Contact the Labor Commission....also called the DLSE.

Why August? - Why do they get to choose?

[ In Reply To ..]
You should question this. Labor code 2802 is not new. Why do they get to choose only a few months they have to follow the law?

Probably has to do with the lawsuit. The court ruling came - in August or September.

[ In Reply To ..]
Leave is to Nuance to try to pass off that date as the date the went in to effect.
Labor code 2802 section b - Interest owed
[ In Reply To ..]

"All awards made by a court or by the Division of Labor Standards Enforcement for reimbursement of necessary expenditures under this section shall carry interest at the same rate as judgments in civil actions. Interest shall accrue from the date on which the employee incurred the necessary expenditure or loss."
Division of Labor Standard Enforcement - No lawyer needed
[ In Reply To ..]
http://www.dir.ca.gov/dlse/HowToFileWageClaim.htm
google your state's labor laws, then - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
notify your HR Department of the law. If your state has a law for paid breaks, you should be getting it on every paycheck. The other MTSO has been providing this for several years.
HR says it's factored in - fedup
[ In Reply To ..]
HR refused to look at the issue. They state breaks are factored into the line rate, even though their own handbook states you are entitled to two 15-minute breaks
Please, challenge that - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
It MUST be factored separately and clearly stated on your pay stub!

Golly, they should pay for all their employees internet - nm

[ In Reply To ..]
xx

Other states get paid breaks, too - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
I work for the other large MTSO. Been getting this for years, clearly stated on my pay stubs. It works out to about $30 for a 2-week period. Definitely CHECK IT OUT!

Similar Messages:

Attention Employees... We Need Friday Hours. If You Do Not Volunteer,
Mar 19, 2010

Good thing I signed up for those Friday hours, only to get NJA.   What a bunch of Butt Face Jerks. ...

Attention All Primadonna MTS
Feb 09, 2011

I am really amazed at the mentality of people on this board regarding testing.  "Geez my personal identity will be stolen etc., yet you are MTs and most of you use cell phones, etc, but have no worries about sending or receiving text messages and having your identity stolen, but you are PARANOID about taking a test  -- ie personal information being given.  Well yes, my computer was "hacked" but I do not believe it was from MTTEST.  If you go into the private sector ...

Attention Moderator?
Apr 21, 2014

Please note the posts in re:  KEYS THAT PLEASE. This company *may* be legitimate but they are requesting as part of a test process files up to 32 minutes long, that I believe are *also* current files. A lot of newer MTs (and even not so new) may not realize this can be a red flag for scammers - people looking to get a backlog cleared up for 'free' under the guise of hiring for a true position. Could you consider posting a warning to all posters to be careful about t ...

Pay Attention, MTSOs!
Feb 19, 2015

Hey MTSOs, I think you need to pay attention.  According to a news release, Wal-Mart is INCREASING their minimum wage pay to $9 by April of this year and then no less than $10 by February 2016.  Pretty bad when a local grocery chain knows how to treat their employees better than you do...not bring then down like you do.  They are trying to shed their bad image.  MTSOs...I bet you dont have the grapes to do the same thing WITHOUT raising production requirements.  No grape ...

If You Have Jury Duty Pay Attention
Mar 12, 2013

Make sure you enter it as jury duty and not "excused no pay."  Your CCM may tell you to enter it as the latter but in most if not all states, your employer is required to pay you.  ...

Attention UNM Manager - No Names Used.
Sep 05, 2013

Just need to let off some steam in case a UNM Manager happens to read this board.  So tired of all your perky little emails about how the team has to "pull together" on the weekends and show UNM "what this great team is made of."  FYI...this team is made of tired MTs typing their fingers to the bone, already having given up on reaching that bonus that barely exists.  Getting repeatedly warned about answering emails you send to us DEMANDING overtime responses, while ...

Question Before I Bring This To TSM Attention
Jan 08, 2014

This is my first time posting, but I hope you can be of help. Is the glucose in the CMP ever expressed as a decimal?  I have always thought it a whole number.  I left a blank after the glucose value where there  was a definite audio blip ending in "point 1."   I assumed this was the calcium value and doc cut the beginning off.  The account auto sends all blanks regardless of reason to QA.  ...

OMG How Funny - Read Glassdoor Opinion Of Employees, US Versus Indian Employees!
Aug 05, 2013

I was just curious about what employees thought of Nuance on Glassdoor.  You read several US employee opinions and they reflect the morale listed on MTStars.  Scroll further down and read the opinions of the transcriptionists from India.  What a difference.  They are highly satisfied with their jobs and most have been working with Nuance for 6 to 7 years.  The US transcriptionists are very sad!!  What a difference..... ...

Attention: LK - Changing Background Color
May 10, 2011

I have a PC with Vista and a PC with Windows 7 and it is done differently than Windows XP.  Thought I would never figure it out.  Here goes.... Go to <control panel>  Click on <Ease of Access Center> Click on <Set up High Contrast> Click on <Choose a High Contrast Color Scheme> A box labeled <Appearance Settings> will come up.  There will be a drop down box with different choices.  I don't think it matters which theme you choose.&n ...

Been Paying Close Attention To My ASR Reports
Feb 07, 2012

not been ONE SINGLE LINE so far in any report that has not needed editing in some fashion.  Not ONE SINGLE LINE.  Usually multiple things in every line including stupid little words it leaves out, stupid things it adds, repetition by the doctor that it cannot discern, blatant errors of the ASR, punctuation, numbering, and on and on and on --- for 60% of my line rate?  If there are folks who have great ASR and can just breeze through with a cursory proofread, more power t ...

TTSers, QA Time, How Much Attention Are You Paying
Feb 08, 2013

to the endless QAing is done. Do you read intensely, do you learn much, is it tossed, is it sort of a maze for you to go through? Have worked a lot of years, never seen any company this intense on putting its workers through a wringer. I would say some there have the confidence of a slug with all this baloney. ...

Everytime I Bring Consistent ASR Errors To The Attention Of Those Who
Nov 22, 2012

they blame it on the transcriptionists. I get told that this must be the way the transcriptions are editing the output. Are there really that may bad/horrible transcriptionists in the company??? I don't believe there are that many poor transcriptions..... unless they are using ILP's to train the ASR. Maybe that is the question I should be asking: Is the output so poor because you (the software techs) including ILP editing?? ...

Found This Very Interesting But How Can We Bring Attention To Our Industry?
Dec 22, 2013

I've included a link about a bill that proposes stricter definition/penalties for misclassifying employees/ICs.   We all know this is rampant in this industry; who would you contact about this?   http://www.pepperlaw.com/publications_update.aspx?ArticleKey=2792 ...

California MTs......Is There Anyone Out There Who Has
Jan 30, 2011

had difficulty finding a job with an MTSO and suspect it is because you live in CA (they probably don't like the fair worker's laws we have here, ie, having to pay our benefit rate for OT, having to pay for NJA, etc). I'm addressing any MTs who have RECENTLY gotten hired by an MTSO AND live in CA.  Not ones who live in CA (like me) who have had their jobs for over 3 years or so........       ...

California Dreamin
Dec 12, 2009

Does anyone know if MQ has "cost of living adjustments" in different parts of the country or if everyone in the US makes about the same line rate range?  We were thinking of moving to Ca from Texas.  I know I make barely enough to keep my head above water here in Texas.  Wondering if the Ca MQ transcripitionists make more?  ...

California Transcription?
Feb 19, 2010

Anyone have experience with this company?  Know much about it?    Thanks! ...

Hey, Kiki, And Other California MTs
Mar 02, 2010

I, too, live in California.  I'm a level-3 MT, getting mostly ESLs and other difficult dictators.  I've brought my QA percentage down from 22 to 20% but it's impossible for me to go any lower with what I'm being routed.  It looks like our job description has changed dramatically.  Because of these new changes imposed by corporate, I'll now be getting paid 3 cents less through no fault of my own, but a different job description, not what I was hired to ...

Financial Help In California
Apr 28, 2010

Because of our situation with MQ if anyone finds that utility, rent has a shut off notice you can dial 2-1-1 and they will assist you on taking care of this immediate need.  ...

FutureNet In California
May 13, 2010

Does anyone presently work for or in the recent past worked for FutureNet out of California? They are currently hiring and I would like to know of anyone's experience working for them either as an MT or an Editor. Do they have plenty of work, pay on time, nice to work for, is the pay rate decent, etc.  Yes, I have searched the Archives, but would like more recent information if available. Thanks in advance to anyone who can supply this. ...

California Transcription
May 15, 2010

What is wrong with these people??? I am looking for anyone who has had or does have experience with this husband/wife team.  I am having a very hard time working at this place and I need to know what the deal is with these people.  Are they just RUDE or what?? ...

MTs In California - Question
Oct 20, 2010

I need to know if Keystrokes hires California MTs.  I am unable to get OT because of the generous OT laws in California so want to know which companies hire California MTs before I waste my time.   Are there MTs in California who work for Keystrokes Transcription Service?  ...

Medwrite Of California
Apr 10, 2013

Looking for information on Medwrite of California such as do they pay on time, plenty of work, etc., or should I even bother.  Thanks! ...

California NJA Compensation
Aug 07, 2013

To whoever it was that said they are compensated for NJA in California, can you give me some more info on how you found out about CA compensation for NJA?  Did your TSM or HR confirm?  How exactly do you enter it in Teamwork?  I am also a California MT with NJA almost every day.  Thanks. ...

Discrimination Against California?
Feb 06, 2014

I've seen where some companies are not interested in hiring MLSs from California (presumably because of labor laws). I'm wondering if any Nuance MLSs from California have felt some bad vibes lately? I'm wondering if they want to get rid of us. ...

Hahaha! California
May 30, 2014

Minimum wage is now $13 an hour.  That may put an end to MTSOs hiring from CA. ...

Any MTs From California Still Working At MM?
Oct 03, 2014

If so, are you FT or PT?  Just wondering if they have gotten rid of all the PTers in CA.  ...

California Residents?
Apr 02, 2015

I am just curious how many other MTs are in California.  We may need to join forces.  ...

Update Regarding California Transcription
Oct 11, 2009

Finally received my last paycheck from this company YESTERDAY . . . of course I've been waiting since JULY.  Oh, and the check is dated for next Tuesday . . . ...

Any Experience With ProScript Out Of California
Feb 02, 2010

After 18+ years of transcribing, I am flat out of work.  For the last 12 years I have worked for a small transcription company with multi-speciality clinics.  So my previous hospital experience is not current.  That seems to really be hurting.   I hopefully have an interview with ProScript this week and was wondering if anyone out there knew anything about ProScript.   Thanks for your help.   itypeit ...

CHRONICLE TRANSCRIPTS In California. Can Someone
Mar 21, 2010

platform, types of accounts they have, QA, management, pay, etc.?  TIA ...