A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Would anyone mind sharing how much they bring home weekly? - curious

Posted: Mar 25, 2010

Not trying to be nosey, just curious.

Paid every 2 weeks, working FT, average 1400 (after taxes). - NM

[ In Reply To ..]
x

3 accounts, pay periods overlap - but about 5000 monthly

[ In Reply To ..]
IC, so paying own taxes and insurance.

can't wait to see what kind of answers are posted. - n/m

[ In Reply To ..]

After taxes, about $300-350/week. Which sucks. nm - Zircon

[ In Reply To ..]

money - mine horrible

[ In Reply To ..]
My last check for 2 weeks after taxes was $598. I used to make $1200 every 2 weeks working for the big MQ in 2004, and I quit that job in 2008 because my pay was dropping $400+ per paycheck. I think I am every worse at the job I tarted in 2008.

I am starting a new job in April so hopefully it will pick up a little. I have gone from $900 to $598 every weeks, steadily down hill for the last 3 pay checks. Can't live on that.

Zircon's answer is more believable than these "$ 5,000.--* - nm

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

If you are making that little, it's time to do something else - I would not work for that.

[ In Reply To ..]
Is there any reason why you are still doing it, since you aren't making any money at it? Are you just a beginner? If so, that's reasonable, but otherwise, this isn't working for you, is it?

I'd better also say that what is reasonable pay for one person isn't for another, and what is a pathetic amount of money for one person is a blessing to someone else.

PAY - SSSS

[ In Reply To ..]
About 1500.00 a week - approximately 55 hours

You make $78,000 a year doing MT? - LK

[ In Reply To ..]
How is that possible?

There is NO WAY thats possible. Pure B.S. Even - $40,000 is a stretch these days. nm

[ In Reply To ..]
I believe her - sm - LK
[ In Reply To ..]
She's working the equivalent of 8 hours a day, 7 days a week, a lot of hours. My guess is that she's getting a pretty big chunk in incentive pay, and probably also works an account or accounts that are relatively "easy" and that she's very used to. She may also have a lot of standards on her account that really ramp up the line count. Just speculation, but I think if I had all those circumstances and really kept my nose to the grindstone 55 hours a week, I could make pretty close to that. I made a bit over 30K last year working maybe 30 hours a week, and with a fairly difficult acute care account with over 100 dictators, with no standards. I don't really think people are coming to this board lying about what they make.
I know for a fact $60,000 is reachable by quite a few, so more than that is possible - I agree
[ In Reply To ..]
Someone with all the right skills and a good business attitude can make $60,000, although most people probably don't make more than $30,000. It's entirely possible to make more than $60,000, particularly if you have someone else working for you, but if you have the right circumstances, it can be done.
Please, not everyone who IS making money is lying - Soon to be Ex-Transcend employee
[ In Reply To ..]
I think that's possible...not everyone in this industry works at national, which you have to admit, is where the slave labor mentality is. Just because you're not making it or I'm not making it doesn't mean someone else isn't. Grow up and stop acting like if an MT isn't crying poverty she's lying. I'm getting out of this industry altogether so it's not like I'm saying I made it either in the last year but seriously people--not everyone who is stil making money doing MT is a liar.

??? - maiden_canada

[ In Reply To ..]
I'd also like to know how that is possible! Are you with the US or Canadian side???

It is possible - ssss

[ In Reply To ..]
perhaps i could send you my 1099 and then you would believe - get over yourself
it is possible - I believe her too
[ In Reply To ..]
It's quite doable---say she makes 10 cpl, that's 272 lph if my calculations are correct. I took $1500.00 per week divided by 0.10 cpl = 15,000 lines divided by 55 (hours)= 272 lph roughly. That's if my math is correct which is always a crap shoot.

Do you work IC, employee and what hours? - Typin_away

[ In Reply To ..]
I think a more accurate poll would include if the work was IC or employee and how many hours (PT or FT) to receive that money.

If instance some are saying that 300-350 a week sucks, but that is more than my fiance makes 45 hours a week saving people's lives as a EMT. It would be interesting to see how many hours it takes them to achieve that.

About $2200 a month ... - zlover

[ In Reply To ..]
but I'm an IC and no taxes taken out. I work about 6-7 hours a day, 5 days a week. My pay has only decreased since I started transcription 8 years ago (same account for past 8 years).

Sadly, only $350 or so after taxes, just because my dictators are SO -- - SM

[ In Reply To ..]
horrible, so poor (both ESL and incapable of stringing a sentence together, and 90% or more of them residents, as well, so they dictate every sentence 3-4 times and we don't get credit for all of that hemming and hawing). It's sad because with a decent dictator I can easily do 300+ lph straight typing, but all of our good dictators are gone and we're left struggling with our lousy new VR platform, which has actually slowed us down.

In short, I'm working twice as hard as ever and making about 1/3 what I used to.

Me too ... - zlover

[ In Reply To ..]
lots of residents and several ESL residents. It's very irritating because they mispronounce, re-dictate, and are very, very slow sometimes.

My company moved me to a VR platform last year. I hated it and insisted on going back to the regular transcription system - especially when I was told my pay would be cut in half! Yay, I'd be bringing home $200 at week that rate!

Not only did they cut our line rate for VR, they eliminated all benefits. - NM

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

22 years acute care experience: $300/wk (sm) - Very Angry

[ In Reply To ..]
after taxes, full time. I'm wondering why some people on this board cannot understand why we are so angry! We aren't "whining." Disclaimer: My rant refers to things posted on this board previously, not this particular thread.

...and that's WITHOUT benefits (sm) - Very Angry

[ In Reply To ..]
I work for Webmedx and their health insurance is so bad that I had to drop it and get a private policy for myself which I can barely afford, but better than having money taken out of my check for an insurance plan that I can't use. Not asking for the big bucks, but I would sure like to get back to the days when I could count on averaging $17/hour which I was content with and covered my expenses and mortgage. Am actively trying to break back into clerical and leave MT behind (a shame because I loved MT). Anyway, time to get to work!

My experience is just like yours. Accounts and software - are so bad, its a struggle to make 100 lph. nm

[ In Reply To ..]

POV on pay - Alice

[ In Reply To ..]
Judging from some of these figures, it appears that point of view can vary when one says "I'm not making any money" doing MT. I guess the "no money" has a wide interpretation.

If I work hard at it, I can make at least $2400 a month before taxes, and I guess that's much better than working for minimum wage with the requirement for a wardrobe and gas/car or a snow plow required to get there.

However, I know there are more stable career choices for working at home, such as selling and earning commission on a great product that practically sells itself, via telephone, mail, internet, where no "meetings" are required in person...That would be my dream career.

WORKING HARDER - radtran

[ In Reply To ..]
Made 50K for 2009 but worked 12+ hours a day, 6-7 days a week. This is still 20K less from my 2004 1099. Every year since 2004, I noticed that I have been putting more hours and my pay seems to decrease. I was looking online for the average pay for in-house transcription and it is 28K. When I worked at the hospital 12 years ago, we were at that 37K. At this rate, I think we are making minimum wage only.

In-house job offer at 27-30,000 year. SM - DJ

[ In Reply To ..]
Just yesterday I had a phone interview with a prestigious research hospital in the midwest. The position was for a medical secretary II with 80% transcription. I was very disappointed at the low salary. Hourly range between 12-15. Great benefits tho.

I make around $400 weekly and I guess that is the norm - me also

[ In Reply To ..]
Wish it was more but happy for what I have.

I don't think that's the norm, but if it works for you - 'Okay' is relative - Okay is different for each of us

[ In Reply To ..]
What is okay for one person is outstanding for another and pathetic for someone else. More than that, what is okay right now may not be the amount you consider okay 5 years from now. There is no 'norm' in MT.

The $400/week is probably fine for someone working for a doctor or a few doctors. It would be very low for someone doing acute care working for an MTSO. It's all relative. Pay is definitely not something that can be put in a box. What's okay for you is not okay for me at this time in my life, but it used to be okay. Does that make sense?

I average $500 a week after taxes - LK

[ In Reply To ..]
Employee status, work a bit less than 40 hours a week, probably about 35, though I don't track it closely. Seems I'm getting lazier and lazier all the time. Just doesn't seem worth the effort to make that kind of money.

As an in-house hospital employee - me

[ In Reply To ..]
Last year I brought in about 37,000, and I had great benifits too.

It varies. I work for Transcend and the work is - The Lorax

[ In Reply To ..]
just not there. Last pay period it was less than $500 and that is with multiple accounts. I do believe that some do still make the money. But they are the exception.

Similar Messages:

Do You All Mind Sharing With Me How Much You Take Home
Jul 10, 2012

I was laid off last week from my in-house MT job.  I have an interview this week at Nuance.  I am wondering how much you all bring home in a 2-week period?  I've never worked production so I don't know what to expect.  And could you please tell me if you're part-time or full. Thanks! ...

If You Wouldn't Mind Sharing...
Oct 02, 2012

I have seen a few posts where someone mentions another job board.  I know we cannot post them here, but if you wouldn't mind emailing me I would appreciate it.  Seems like a google search is like a wild goose chase with schools and such and I just want a few real job boards to watch. Thank you so much in advance. ...

I Made A Total Of $19,000 For 2011. Would Anyone Mind Sharing What They Made For The Year. I Am Ju
Jan 27, 2012

hopeful ...

For Those Interested In Weekly Pay, J&M Transcription Also Pays Weekly. Nm
Feb 09, 2011

ppp ...

JUST SHARING
Aug 05, 2010

Well, I didn't want to totally quit being an MT, just in case things changed and some wonderful job pops up someday.  So, I found a day job, not MT, but data entry for a car repossession service.  It pays only $10 per hour, but it is a guaranteed 40 hours per week and offers some employee benefits such as health insurance and PTO.  No, I don't like what they are doing, but it is legal and it IS a job.  I used to turn down jobs based on principle, but I was the ...

Sharing At Tip...
Jun 17, 2015

I just wanted to share something that I discovered that works well for me. Aside from my typing skills, I am also a graphic artist.  I love to draw and do drawings on my computer.  For this, I use a TracBall-style mouse.  It is a stationary mouse that has the ball on the top.  It is used for precision when working with graphics.   While it definitely takes some time to get used to, it has also proven to be a great way to speed up pointing and clicking in my working wit ...

Sharing Thoughts
Jan 27, 2014

I check MT Stars frequently just to see what people are saying.  I'm a QA person.  I'm at the tail end of my career (38 years) and I must admit, I'm fairly happy with Nuance.  I have a great boss and thankful that I can work from home, get fairly decent health insurance and have working hours that fit my lifestyle.  I HAVE taken a drastic cut in pay which is a bit disheartening.  The "Good Old Days" are long gone.  I'm very thankful for ...

Payday--bring On The Tears
Feb 11, 2011

I really had hopes this payday after really pouring it on every shift, adding to expansions every shift, using all the "handy hints" they gave us.  Still not cutting it.  Please God answer my prayers and get me out of this stress factory.  And God, if it's not time to get out of here, please, oh please get MQ to do the right thing and "fix" ASR.  Don't make us keep changing dangerous abbreviations.  Don't make us keep fixing "headings" that were not dic ...

Can You Bring And Use Your Own Keyboard For CMT Test?
Apr 04, 2011

I have been typing on a kinesis freestyle keyboard for so long that I can't even type on a regular straight keyboard AT ALL.  Does anyone who has taken this test know if you are allowed to use your own keyboard during the test?  Thanks in Advance! ...

Think They'll Ever Bring Back The Fuzzy
Jun 04, 2013

I really liked it. ...

Bring Back The Money
Oct 05, 2013

Link to an article about companies stashing money overseas, like my job. ...

Question Before I Bring This To TSM Attention
Jan 08, 2014

This is my first time posting, but I hope you can be of help. Is the glucose in the CMP ever expressed as a decimal?  I have always thought it a whole number.  I left a blank after the glucose value where there  was a definite audio blip ending in "point 1."   I assumed this was the calcium value and doc cut the beginning off.  The account auto sends all blanks regardless of reason to QA.  ...

Companies That Provide 401Ks And Profit-sharing:
Oct 20, 2009

There's just ONE, eensy-weensy little problem with MT companies providing their employees with a 401K as one of their benefits: What person on a measly MT's earnings can afford to put anything into it?????  I can't spare even a dollar at the end of each pay period, and haven't been able to put anything into even a savings account for years.  Did it ever occur to them that a retirement account is USELESS if you don't pay your employees enough to fund it? ...

Bring It Back Up= Conflict Of Interest
Aug 29, 2010

Why not just read your contract and find out for yourself instead of relying on the opinions of other people? In the end, neither company will care what someone told you; they will only care about a contract YOU  signed. The company I worked for had specifically stated in their contract that we could not work for any company that is in competition with them (any other MTSO) so in this case I would be in violation of that contract. We could work for a hospital, a clinic, a physician, etc, di ...

F5 Not Working. Will Not Bring Up Client Profile..
Oct 31, 2010

Anyone else having this problem? ...

Sharing Patient Records Is Still A Digital Dilemma For Doctors
Mar 06, 2015

link below ...

Everytime I Bring Consistent ASR Errors To The Attention Of Those Who
Nov 22, 2012

they blame it on the transcriptionists. I get told that this must be the way the transcriptions are editing the output. Are there really that may bad/horrible transcriptionists in the company??? I don't believe there are that many poor transcriptions..... unless they are using ILP's to train the ASR. Maybe that is the question I should be asking: Is the output so poor because you (the software techs) including ILP editing?? ...

Found This Very Interesting But How Can We Bring Attention To Our Industry?
Dec 22, 2013

I've included a link about a bill that proposes stricter definition/penalties for misclassifying employees/ICs.   We all know this is rampant in this industry; who would you contact about this?   http://www.pepperlaw.com/publications_update.aspx?ArticleKey=2792 ...

Very Nice, Very Secure, & FREE File-synching & -sharing Website
Aug 30, 2010

This is outstanding.  Now I don't have to keep e-mailing myself stuff.  I can imagine all kinds of MT-related applications. First 2 GB free but you can pay for more. https://www.dropbox.com/referrals/NTEwNjg1NzkwOQ ...

Internet News Of Bring Back Made In America
May 14, 2011

We are all now looking for products to promote USA jobs as we are all suffering greatly, and especially in this job and with the services.  Maybe those who claim they do not Offshore should have a line that says TIA--Typed In America.    ...

Weekly Pay
Sep 15, 2011

What are some companies that pay weekly, anyone know of any? ...

Anyone Know Of Companies That Pay Weekly?
Jul 26, 2011

Not sure if this is the correct place to ask this question, so please redirect me if not.  Thanks in advance. ...

Weekly Hours
Dec 30, 2011

Hey, got a whole 8 hours this week...Aren't I the lucky one?  8 out of 40?  Give me a break already...where's the work? Can't blame it on the holidays this time. This is getting old, and I'm going for disability ! ...

Any Companies Still Pay Weekly? NM
Jan 07, 2012

. ...

Is Anyone Else Getting Audited Weekly??
Jun 13, 2012

Was audited the week before memorial day for 4 days mind you, and made 98.8 and left alone for a few days and bam started all over again and was told my group was being audited weekly.  Been here since 1996.  I can hardly think straight anymore and feel like I am all thumbs on the keyboard.  I am ready to call it quits and seriously go to my unemployment agency and see if they can help find something decent.  I feel like I am going nowhere fast. ...

Companies That Pay Weekly?
May 17, 2013

Can you give me names of companies that pay weekly? ...

Weekly Lines
Jun 29, 2013

Has anyone ever done 15,000 lines in a week and if so how much was your weekly pay?  Please no bashing on this question.  I know there are some that reach high lines and for those of you who don't I am truly sorry but please don't respond in a negative way.  Thanks! ...

What Do You Have To Do To Get Weekly Bonus If PT
Aug 05, 2014

Gotta figure a way to build this puny paycheck up and those quarterly bonuses are just a heartache.  Had 99.7 for 2 months, then ZAP 99.4 and missed it again. Thought maybe I would be better off focusing on weekly bonuses.  Any explanations helpful. ...

Weekly Bonus ?
Aug 14, 2014

So if you have over 99% QA score and less than 3% sent in for blanks, how many lines do you have to do in order to receive the weekly bonus or is it offered to PT people at all? ...

Weekly Bonus
Nov 10, 2014

Can anyone tell me what percentage you get for weekly bonuses and how it is figured out?? ...