A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

bring it back up= conflict of interest - cj

Posted: Aug 29, 2010

Why not just read your contract and find out for yourself instead of relying on the opinions of other people? In the end, neither company will care what someone told you; they will only care about a contract YOU  signed. The company I worked for had specifically stated in their contract that we could not work for any company that is in competition with them (any other MTSO) so in this case I would be in violation of that contract. We could work for a hospital, a clinic, a physician, etc, directly, but not another MTSO and not for any entity with whom this MTSO had an agreement in place.  In other words, we could't take the company's work from them.  It's a noncompete clause.  Yes, you need to look out for yourself so READ YOUR CONTRACT AND KNOW WHAT YOU LEGALLY AGREED TO, and for those of you who offered opinions, before you give or accept advice, know what you are talking about. Unless you actually know what her contract says, don't be the one who tells this MT she is okay when in fact she may be violating a legally binding agreement and opening herself up for big problems.  

Noncomplete - mt2long

[ In Reply To ..]
"The company I worked for had specifically stated in their contract that we could not work for any company that is in competition with them (any other MTSO) so in this case I would be in violation of that contract. "

Except whether you signed it or not, it won't hold up in court. A company cannot stop you, especially in the lowly profession of MT, from supporting yourself. As an AT HOME professional, that means they can't stop you from working for another MTSO at home.

I agree with the sentiment that you should really READ and agree with or edit what you are signing.

But an MTSO can't keep you from working for someone else.

And an MTSO is not in control of what you do with your hours you're not working for them save for soliciting THEIR current clients.

They may not be able to stop you, but they can for legal fees - Happy MT Robin

[ In Reply To ..]
Having been involved with people who were on the "sued" end of a non-compete, specifically my sister and her boss who left an insurance agency to start their own, non-competes absolutely can be held up in court, depending on the way it was written. If it ends up getting thrown out or arbitrated, you still end up spending a small fortune in legal fees, not to mention the time involved.

I've rarely heard of non competes in this business, but as the first poster says, it behooves anyone to read their employee/IC paperwork that they signed when they went to work. There is usually language in there that pertains to not going to a client directly and cutting out the MTSO, but I haven't personally experienced anything that said I couldn't work for another MTSO at the same time I was working for another one.

Okay, sorry that title made no sense - Happy MT Robin

[ In Reply To ..]
Meant to say "they can force legal fees."

This is what I get for typing when I'm sitting down recovering from working in the backyard! ;)

Agreed - mt2long

[ In Reply To ..]
In other businesses non-competes can and are often enforced. In MT they are rarely, if ever enforced. Insurance and MT are two vastly different animals and I wouldn't presume to speak for anything 'cept what I know.

Hope your sister made out okay.
Found this - interesting - mt2long
[ In Reply To ..]
http://www.lawknowledge.org/employment-labor-law/50599/

Since it specifically addresses MT, but also addresses a single state (Georgia with Texas addressed farther down). General concensus is that yes, you should ALWAYS be reading what you're signing but at least in GA, you have very specific things that must be addressed-- including the LENGTH OF TIME the contract is enforceable. If it's "at will" then the non-compete is not applicable (again, in Georgia)

Your sister and her boss is completely different. And did - they take clients? IC is different NM

[ In Reply To ..]
x

noncompete - cj

[ In Reply To ..]
Well, actually, they can and do hold up in court. They are not stopping you from making a living; they are stopping you from working for their competition. As I said, we could work directly for a hospital, a clinic, a physician, etc., just not a direct competitor of theirs, which would be another MTSO, so it does not stop you from supporting yourself. It simply limits (usually for a predefined period of time) the places where you can do so. That contract is a legal document, and if it has a noncompete that is worded as such, it absolutely will hold up in court. A person who signs a contract should think about its implications before signing on that line.

Noncompete clauses - Nick

[ In Reply To ..]
I am an old guy who has been in this business for many, many years, and virtually every case I have seen regarding noncomplete issues has been nonforceable. Of course, you should consult your own attorney (I am not a lawyer), but I wouldn't worry about it as long as you are not soliticing the clients of the MTSO you are already working for. Anything beyond that is restraing of trade regarding your making a living.

noncompete - dnh

[ In Reply To ..]
You do get what a contract is, right? If you aren't an attorney then stop dispensing legal advice, especially since your info is wrong. A noncompete clause is legally enforceable. It is upheld all the time. I can't help but wonder how many cases you have seen that were not enforceable and why they weren't. Do you know the actual facts about them or are you spouting "I have heard....." Like the OP said, everyone should read their contracts, and I would add, if you are uncomfortable with something in it, don't sign it. Look for employment with a company who doesn't include noncompete in their agreement. No one put a gun to your head and made you agree to a noncompete clause, but if you signed, then you are obliged to live with the consequences. Even if (big if) it doesn't hold up in court, who wants the hassle and expense of fighting it?
Been on both sides of the fence - MTSOandMT
[ In Reply To ..]
And I can tell you, for MEDICAL TRANSCRIPTION, *UNLESS YOU DIRECTLY SOLICIT CLIENTS OF YOUR EMPLOYER* the likelihood of a non-compete clause being enforced is next to none.

Knowing what you're signing is a good idea, but the services who present you with little more than a minor non-compete have next to no leg to stand on.

Non-compete clauses are entirely legal - MTSER

[ In Reply To ..]
Noncompete clauses do hold up in court, don't know where you are getting your information from.

People, don't take legal advise from the board. Either research it yourself or contact an attorney. I would rather spend a little money to keep myself out of trouble than a boatload after I'm in deep!

Yes, they DO get held up in court. - SM

[ In Reply To ..]
I worked for some time for an attorney whose "specialties" were union busting and enforcing noncompete clauses; in other words, he was not a friend to the average working Joe.

His firm lost very few noncompete cases.

NEVER get your legal advice from a layman. It's like asking your gardener to remove your appendix because his wife once had hers removed so he knows all about it. Uh huh.
But were his clients IC? Employee and IC 2 different things - when told they cannot compete. nm
[ In Reply To ..]
x

Similar Messages:

Along The Same Idea Of Conflict Of Interest, A Person In
Aug 28, 2010

They really have no bite.  She said the courts dont like to tell people they cannot work.  Also,  you couldnt tell a plumber he could do your work, but not the Smith's work.  Same thing applies to MT/Ed ICs. ...

Think They'll Ever Bring Back The Fuzzy
Jun 04, 2013

I really liked it. ...

Bring Back The Money
Oct 05, 2013

Link to an article about companies stashing money overseas, like my job. ...

Internet News Of Bring Back Made In America
May 14, 2011

We are all now looking for products to promote USA jobs as we are all suffering greatly, and especially in this job and with the services.  Maybe those who claim they do not Offshore should have a line that says TIA--Typed In America.    ...

Conflict In Policy
May 29, 2012

A couple weeks ago someone on here mentioned that we do not have to use our PTO for NSA. She advised me to contact HR, which I did, who also told me the policy is we do NOT have to use our PTO for NSA. The conflict is, my SM sends out emails prior to time card approval stating we have to use PTO if we have it, or submit PTO for unpaid if we have no balance. I am curious to know if my SM just isnt aware of the policy, or if she just wants us to use our PTO so our hours will all be accounted for. ...

Is It Okay To Have A Conflict On Timecard?
Apr 18, 2013

I am using the excused absence - out of work leave type.  Since it is happening during my shift, it shows as a conflict.  Do I need to change it so there is no conflict? I think they should change their system so that it doesn't show a conflict, but then I think a lot of things that are not going to happen. ...

Website That Would Be Of Interest To
May 28, 2010

I think it was Kiki who was considering taking on op notes ?  This is a great website to look up standard procedures and become familiar with the vocab:  http://mtsamples.com/ ...

Math Whiz Help Needed. $25,000 At 3.00% Interest.
Jan 04, 2011

x ...

This Blog Might Interest Those That Work For Nuance Or M*Modal
Jul 11, 2012

Is There A Market Reshuffling On The Horizon For The Medical Transcription Industry? Today I’m going to indulge in something I rarely do, much to the exasperation of my wife Carol. A goodly number of our conversations begin with her asking me, “What do you suppose…” and end with me saying, “I don’t have a clue.” I’m not sure if this reluctance to speculate is a guy thing or just a facet of my own particular personality, but for once I’m g ...

Survey Of Interest For Department Of Labor Suit.
May 07, 2015

I've been observing Medquist/M*modal for the past number of years since their previous law suit. The technologies they have employed as of late are widely viewed as intentionally inhibiting, many employees stating that this speech recognition program, as well as constant shuffling of work pools, or "pods" prevent the familiarity that is central to profit,accuracy, and productivity. I intend to gauge the interest and willingness of participation in the current M*modal employee community. Pl ...

Payday--bring On The Tears
Feb 11, 2011

I really had hopes this payday after really pouring it on every shift, adding to expansions every shift, using all the "handy hints" they gave us.  Still not cutting it.  Please God answer my prayers and get me out of this stress factory.  And God, if it's not time to get out of here, please, oh please get MQ to do the right thing and "fix" ASR.  Don't make us keep changing dangerous abbreviations.  Don't make us keep fixing "headings" that were not dic ...

Can You Bring And Use Your Own Keyboard For CMT Test?
Apr 04, 2011

I have been typing on a kinesis freestyle keyboard for so long that I can't even type on a regular straight keyboard AT ALL.  Does anyone who has taken this test know if you are allowed to use your own keyboard during the test?  Thanks in Advance! ...

Question Before I Bring This To TSM Attention
Jan 08, 2014

This is my first time posting, but I hope you can be of help. Is the glucose in the CMP ever expressed as a decimal?  I have always thought it a whole number.  I left a blank after the glucose value where there  was a definite audio blip ending in "point 1."   I assumed this was the calcium value and doc cut the beginning off.  The account auto sends all blanks regardless of reason to QA.  ...

F5 Not Working. Will Not Bring Up Client Profile..
Oct 31, 2010

Anyone else having this problem? ...

Would Anyone Mind Sharing How Much They Bring Home Weekly?
Mar 25, 2010

Not trying to be nosey, just curious. ...

Everytime I Bring Consistent ASR Errors To The Attention Of Those Who
Nov 22, 2012

they blame it on the transcriptionists. I get told that this must be the way the transcriptions are editing the output. Are there really that may bad/horrible transcriptionists in the company??? I don't believe there are that many poor transcriptions..... unless they are using ILP's to train the ASR. Maybe that is the question I should be asking: Is the output so poor because you (the software techs) including ILP editing?? ...

Found This Very Interesting But How Can We Bring Attention To Our Industry?
Dec 22, 2013

I've included a link about a bill that proposes stricter definition/penalties for misclassifying employees/ICs.   We all know this is rampant in this industry; who would you contact about this?   http://www.pepperlaw.com/publications_update.aspx?ArticleKey=2792 ...

On ROS, Genitourinary: She Has S/l "dys Pur A Mee A", As Well As No Sexual Interest.
Nov 16, 2010

On ROS, Genitourinary:  She has s/l "dys pur a mee a", as well as no sexual interest and dryness.  ...

Does Anyone Ever Hear Back Anymore From Jobs Posted? In The Past I Always Heard Back Even If I Was N
Dec 10, 2012

Back To Work After Back Surgery
Aug 23, 2012

Hello, I would like to transcribe from home again. However, I HAVE to get up and walk for a few minutes at least once an hour. You see, I had to have 2 back surgeries in the last 18 months. I've been a transcriptionist for many years and this is my profession. Does anyone have a suggestion what to tell these companies that will hire you to work from home when you have to get up so much? The last company I tried had a "pop-up" box that appeared on my screen if you were up longer than 10 min ...

Dang It - DQS Back Up But My Job Did Not Come Back To Me.
Mar 31, 2011

. ...

I'm Back...I'm Back In The Saddle Again!!!!
Jul 02, 2014

Back to being an MT, and yes, I am excited about that. ...

Well, Back To NJA Again..
Oct 27, 2009

Oh dear, here it goes again. ...NJA and a whole week to go on this pay period.  Due to my sickness I had to take off my 3a-5a shift, but now cannot get work to make up.   I long ago used up all my PTO.   Arrgggghhh.  Arggghhhh.   Argghhhh.  Argghhh.  I am practicing my pirate sounds for Halloween.  I've already got the screaming banshee routine down so much I have nothing but low growly voice left. ...

I Wonder If They'd Take Me Back.
Jun 22, 2011

I quit last July because they couldn't keep me "transcriptioning," sent my resignation to my supervisor, and then received a letter in October stating that I was terminated.   Loved it!  And I'm thinking of reapplying.  Ought to be an interesting experience.. lol..  just love it!  I don't have anything else to do, and what other company would let you not work for 3 months before they terminated you?   Did I mention how much I love this ...

I Got Back Into DQS
Nov 04, 2010

I just got back in so maybe problem is fixed?! ...

Getting Back In To MT
Dec 06, 2010

Thanks so much for any advice! I am newly divorced and working at a call center, and I have an MT certificate from Everett Community College, and even though I have lost 1/2 of my stuff thanks to my ex, I seem to have held on to my foot pedal, software, and that is about it. I would like to start over and try to find an MT job. I had an excellent GPA in school but have never worked. I graduated in 2007. Am I crazy to try? I figure it is now or never, anyway. If someone here is optimistic enough ...

Getting Back Into The Biz
Mar 15, 2011

Hi all, I'm getting back into editing after a 5-year hiatus.  I'm being offered .06 cpl at this time.  Back in the day, it was an hourly wage I made.. so, am trying to figure out what it's going to take volume wise to make a decent paycheck.  Anyone have any suggestions for me?  Thanks, I appreciate this site  and your input very much! ...

DQS Back Up For Me...nm
Jun 11, 2012

nm ...

MM Wants Me Back
Sep 17, 2012

ok so after 13 years, having to resort to food stamps and borrowing money to make my rent, I leave MM approx 2-1/2 months ago to to type for 2 docs and 2 PAs in a private practice at $15/hr, no weekends, no holidays, beautiful office building, 1 hour lunch...and I get a call asking if I would consider coming back to MM ... AND I wouldn't even have to test for them!. ha....ha ha....ha ha ha....ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ...

Anyone Back In Yet?
Oct 31, 2012

Just wanna take a nap. ...