A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Found this very interesting but how can we bring attention to our industry? - Hiya07

Posted: Dec 22, 2013

I've included a link about a bill that proposes stricter definition/penalties for misclassifying employees/ICs.   We all know this is rampant in this industry; who would you contact about this?

http://www.pepperlaw.com/publications_update.aspx?ArticleKey=2792

I thought this part particularly interesting - Hiya07

[ In Reply To ..]
The new bill also would also:

�pierce the so-called �corporate veil� by including in the definition of �non-employees� those who provide services through a corporation or LLC, if they are required to create or maintain such entities as a �condition for the provision of such labor or services�
�impose triple damages for willful violations of the minimum wage or overtime laws where the employer has misclassified the worker
�direct the Secretary of Labor to establish a misclassification Web site
�authorizes the Secretary of Labor to impose additional penalties upon employers that misclassify employees for unemployment compensation purposes
�authorize the DOL to report misclassification information to the Internal Revenue Service (IRS), and
�direct the DOL to conduct �targeted audits� of certain industries �with frequent incidence of misclassifying employees as non-employees.�

Sorry about previous post, maybe this is better - Hiya07

[ In Reply To ..]
Sorry, I can't edit my posts because I forget to write down password!

Anyway, I tried to clean it up a little. This is from the link I posted above.

The new bill also would also:

pierce the so-called âcorporate veilâ by including in the definition of ânon-employeesâ those who provide services through a corporation or LLC, if they are required to create or maintain such entities as a âcondition for the provision of such labor or servicesâ

impose triple damages for willful violations of the minimum wage or overtime laws where the employer has misclassified the worker

direct the Secretary of Labor to establish a misclassification Web site
authorizes the Secretary of Labor to impose additional penalties upon employers that misclassify employees for unemployment compensation purposes

authorize the DOL to report misclassification information to the Internal Revenue Service (IRS), and direct the DOL to conduct âtargeted auditsâ of certain industries âwith frequent incidence of misclassifying employees as non-employees.â

Password advice - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
Choose a simple password and use it every time you post. That way, you won't have to write it down.

It isn't like you are passwording your bank account.

Names are listed at the top - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
I wouldn't contact the authors, since they are advertising for their software that appears to be for companies which use ICs.

The names of the bill's sponsors are listed at the top of the article. You could contact them.

You should also find out when the legislation is coming up for a vote, then write your state's legislators to ask them to support it.

Similar Messages:

Question Before I Bring This To TSM Attention
Jan 08, 2014

This is my first time posting, but I hope you can be of help. Is the glucose in the CMP ever expressed as a decimal?  I have always thought it a whole number.  I left a blank after the glucose value where there  was a definite audio blip ending in "point 1."   I assumed this was the calcium value and doc cut the beginning off.  The account auto sends all blanks regardless of reason to QA.  ...

Everytime I Bring Consistent ASR Errors To The Attention Of Those Who
Nov 22, 2012

they blame it on the transcriptionists. I get told that this must be the way the transcriptions are editing the output. Are there really that may bad/horrible transcriptionists in the company??? I don't believe there are that many poor transcriptions..... unless they are using ILP's to train the ASR. Maybe that is the question I should be asking: Is the output so poor because you (the software techs) including ILP editing?? ...

A Link With A Number Of Interesting Things Affecting Our Industry.
Mar 09, 2012

http://www.npr.org/blogs/health/2012/03/09/148230883/forget-the-robots-venture-capitalists-change-their-health-care-investments ...

Something That I Found Very Interesting
Nov 21, 2009

Just for the heck of it, I went to the resume section of this board, and noticed there were quite a few MTs with "entry-level or less than 5 year's experience" wanting to be compensated 10-15 cpl  -- I really seriously doubt that is going to happen, especially for a "newer" MT.  I would suggest that if you are really serious about finding a job in MT, then revise your expected compensation rate to something a bit more realistic. ...

Something I Found Interesting
Nov 21, 2009

I also posted this on the main board, but here goes. Just for the heck of it, I went to the resume section of this board, and noticed there were quite a few MTs with "entry-level or less than 5 year's experience" wanting to be compensated 10-15 cpl  -- I really seriously doubt that is going to happen, especially for a "newer" MT.  I would suggest that if you are really serious about finding a job in MT, then revise your expected compensation rate to something a bit more realistic ...

Found This Interesting
Nov 10, 2011

Time to do something, nja, not enough money, will not allow me to schedule so I can find part time employment to supplement. This company is abusing us without question.   Doing some research and found these two articles:   http://www.mediate.com/articles/davenport.cfm and http://minoritysurvival.com/2011/07/15/six-ways-employers-abuse-workers/     ...

Found Out Something Interesting....
Jan 08, 2013

I was looking for job openings at our local hospital and it's a long story but, found out that they have taken their transcription back in-house.  Too many mistakes, not enough quality work, bad turn around times, et al.  I am applying today, in person with them.  I will offer to scrub their floors if that is what it takes to get back in to transcribing.  I know folks who work there and they get a very fair wage, benefits and time off!  ...

I Found This Very Interesting Post On The MModal Board...sm
Dec 12, 2012

and thought it would be of interest to all MTs. This filing is incredibly long, but the most - interesting read concerning Posted: Dec 8th, 2012 - 8:44 am In Reply to: Found this statement in the SEC filings. - ARE YOU KIDDING ME??M-Modal I have read including many eye-opening facts about the offshore component of business. I didn't know that M-Modal uses "cloud" technology. "Speech recognition and natural language understanding technologies, including our own, ar ...

Payday--bring On The Tears
Feb 11, 2011

I really had hopes this payday after really pouring it on every shift, adding to expansions every shift, using all the "handy hints" they gave us.  Still not cutting it.  Please God answer my prayers and get me out of this stress factory.  And God, if it's not time to get out of here, please, oh please get MQ to do the right thing and "fix" ASR.  Don't make us keep changing dangerous abbreviations.  Don't make us keep fixing "headings" that were not dic ...

Can You Bring And Use Your Own Keyboard For CMT Test?
Apr 04, 2011

I have been typing on a kinesis freestyle keyboard for so long that I can't even type on a regular straight keyboard AT ALL.  Does anyone who has taken this test know if you are allowed to use your own keyboard during the test?  Thanks in Advance! ...

Think They'll Ever Bring Back The Fuzzy
Jun 04, 2013

I really liked it. ...

Bring Back The Money
Oct 05, 2013

Link to an article about companies stashing money overseas, like my job. ...

Bring It Back Up= Conflict Of Interest
Aug 29, 2010

Why not just read your contract and find out for yourself instead of relying on the opinions of other people? In the end, neither company will care what someone told you; they will only care about a contract YOU  signed. The company I worked for had specifically stated in their contract that we could not work for any company that is in competition with them (any other MTSO) so in this case I would be in violation of that contract. We could work for a hospital, a clinic, a physician, etc, di ...

F5 Not Working. Will Not Bring Up Client Profile..
Oct 31, 2010

Anyone else having this problem? ...

Attention All Primadonna MTS
Feb 09, 2011

I am really amazed at the mentality of people on this board regarding testing.  "Geez my personal identity will be stolen etc., yet you are MTs and most of you use cell phones, etc, but have no worries about sending or receiving text messages and having your identity stolen, but you are PARANOID about taking a test  -- ie personal information being given.  Well yes, my computer was "hacked" but I do not believe it was from MTTEST.  If you go into the private sector ...

Attention Moderator?
Apr 21, 2014

Please note the posts in re:  KEYS THAT PLEASE. This company *may* be legitimate but they are requesting as part of a test process files up to 32 minutes long, that I believe are *also* current files. A lot of newer MTs (and even not so new) may not realize this can be a red flag for scammers - people looking to get a backlog cleared up for 'free' under the guise of hiring for a true position. Could you consider posting a warning to all posters to be careful about t ...

Pay Attention, MTSOs!
Feb 19, 2015

Hey MTSOs, I think you need to pay attention.  According to a news release, Wal-Mart is INCREASING their minimum wage pay to $9 by April of this year and then no less than $10 by February 2016.  Pretty bad when a local grocery chain knows how to treat their employees better than you do...not bring then down like you do.  They are trying to shed their bad image.  MTSOs...I bet you dont have the grapes to do the same thing WITHOUT raising production requirements.  No grape ...

Would Anyone Mind Sharing How Much They Bring Home Weekly?
Mar 25, 2010

Not trying to be nosey, just curious. ...

If You Have Jury Duty Pay Attention
Mar 12, 2013

Make sure you enter it as jury duty and not "excused no pay."  Your CCM may tell you to enter it as the latter but in most if not all states, your employer is required to pay you.  ...

Attention UNM Manager - No Names Used.
Sep 05, 2013

Just need to let off some steam in case a UNM Manager happens to read this board.  So tired of all your perky little emails about how the team has to "pull together" on the weekends and show UNM "what this great team is made of."  FYI...this team is made of tired MTs typing their fingers to the bone, already having given up on reaching that bonus that barely exists.  Getting repeatedly warned about answering emails you send to us DEMANDING overtime responses, while ...

Attention California Employees
Apr 14, 2015

Nuance is required to pay for your 10-minute rest breaks separately and clearly display it on your pay stub.  You are owed 1 hour of pay for every day PAID breaks are not provided going back 3 years.  Their nonsense of stating breaks are figured into your line pay is illegal since when you log out to take a break, your production stops.  Contact your local labor commission.  ...

Internet News Of Bring Back Made In America
May 14, 2011

We are all now looking for products to promote USA jobs as we are all suffering greatly, and especially in this job and with the services.  Maybe those who claim they do not Offshore should have a line that says TIA--Typed In America.    ...

Attention: LK - Changing Background Color
May 10, 2011

I have a PC with Vista and a PC with Windows 7 and it is done differently than Windows XP.  Thought I would never figure it out.  Here goes.... Go to <control panel>  Click on <Ease of Access Center> Click on <Set up High Contrast> Click on <Choose a High Contrast Color Scheme> A box labeled <Appearance Settings> will come up.  There will be a drop down box with different choices.  I don't think it matters which theme you choose.&n ...

Been Paying Close Attention To My ASR Reports
Feb 07, 2012

not been ONE SINGLE LINE so far in any report that has not needed editing in some fashion.  Not ONE SINGLE LINE.  Usually multiple things in every line including stupid little words it leaves out, stupid things it adds, repetition by the doctor that it cannot discern, blatant errors of the ASR, punctuation, numbering, and on and on and on --- for 60% of my line rate?  If there are folks who have great ASR and can just breeze through with a cursory proofread, more power t ...

TTSers, QA Time, How Much Attention Are You Paying
Feb 08, 2013

to the endless QAing is done. Do you read intensely, do you learn much, is it tossed, is it sort of a maze for you to go through? Have worked a lot of years, never seen any company this intense on putting its workers through a wringer. I would say some there have the confidence of a slug with all this baloney. ...

Attention Employees... We Need Friday Hours. If You Do Not Volunteer,
Mar 19, 2010

Good thing I signed up for those Friday hours, only to get NJA.   What a bunch of Butt Face Jerks. ...

New To The Industry
Jan 18, 2010

Hi, I am a recent graduate of a Med. Transcript program and am unable to find work for someone with less than one year experiance.  Any suggestions? ...

MT Industry
Feb 17, 2011

As a group, we need to talk, fax, email our state representatives to explain what is going on in our industry. Give them your personal story.  We should all do this 3/1/2010 and the first of every month until something is done.  If they get enough complaints/responses, they will help us.  They will start and talk to each other and realize how many of us are being abused.  We need to have state and federal regulations to protect us from these companies. Due to&n ...

Is It Still Possible To Get A PT Job In This Industry. Nm
Nov 04, 2012

nm ...

This Whole Industry
Aug 22, 2013

Here's the problem with MT's who work at home:  There's not one out of six of you that have ever grown a pair of cajones. ...