A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

friend of mine fell for one of those "BIG BUCKS (MT-ing) FROM HOME" ads - readonthisisagoodone

Posted: Mar 05, 2010

So she signed up for this teach yourself transcription course, captured and enraptured by all its 'carnival barking' about the money, the prestige, and the convenience of working at home and being your own (uh-huh) boss...offering the world on a platter and stopping just shy of suggesting she could meet/marry a doctor.

Flashcards in a box.  Albeit medical words...but...flashcards in a box. 

Whats really disgusting is some of those ads are showing - up on this forum, which is pretty darned low.

[ In Reply To ..]

I just saw on on this forum an ad for a course saying - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
medical transcriptonists can earn up to $60,000/year. I want that job.

Similar Messages:

A Friend Of Mine Wants To Try This, Can She Make $30.00 An Hour Doing Transcription
Nov 02, 2009

A lady I have talked with wants to train in this kind of work and is planning on going to Andrews. Would she be making at least $30.00 an hour when she gets a job? Thanks. ...

A Friend Of Mine Asked About MTing Recently ....
Dec 20, 2010

I told her to give it not a second thought, it was a waste of money and time for the schooling required, and, even as an IC, she'd be LUCKY to make $.09 a line and have zero benefits.  I told her she'd be MUCH better off working for McDonald's. Who is going to enter this profession of low pay and no benefits in the future?  Who will stay when, even the transcriptionists who are fortunate enough to be doing straight transcription now, are gone after the switch to VR and ...

A Letter From A Doctor Friend Of Mine To His Congressman
Apr 18, 2013

The following is from a Facebook post from a physician friend of mine.  This is a letter he sent to his congressman.  I got permission from him to post it here.  Long read, but I feel galvanized by this:    I have been dealing with 2 electronic health record (EHR) systems and it is clear that the technology is not ready for implementation. I feel they will increse cost, decrese access, and decrease quality of care in their current state. I encourage anyone reading thi ...

Drug Sounds Like "vernan A Fell" Or "run An A Fell"
Oct 14, 2011

Acyclovir, Azithromycin, Bactrim, Fluconazole, Lortab, Omeprazole, Terazosin, Tetracycline, "vrenanafel", Zolpidem, Multivitamin. ...

Big Bucks
Nov 03, 2009

This profession is awesome.  You can make big bucks.  Not unheard of to start out making about $14/hour.  If you work hard and really plug away at it, you may be making twice that in a few years.  :<{   ...

Go For The Big Bucks
Jul 04, 2013

Quality Control Editors Now Offering an Incentive Program! Are you tired of reviewing documents with multiple blanks and multiple errors and being reimbursed the same as you are for reviewing documents with a couple blanks? How would you like to increase your earning potential just for doing what you do best? Nuance Transcription Services (NTS) is looking for high producing, high quality Quality Control Editors who have the ability and drive to add significant value to reviewed documents ...

Fell For It....
Nov 11, 2011

Well, I fell for it hook, line, and sinker.  Saw the ad on MT Jobs.  Did the pre-evaluaiton test for the company called Cognition Health Partner.  It even had my hometown as their location so I jumped on it.  Then when I finished the test and the message said I did not meet minimum score and then a recommendation to receive more training and a suggestion to try Career Step, I knew I had been fooled.  I thought it was too good to be true that a transcrpition company was a ...

TO THOSE MAKING THE BUCKS
Nov 12, 2009

To those making 50+ K a year: I'm glad to know that in this industry it is still possible to make a decent living! I LOVE transcription!  I've been an at-home MT for about 5 years and see the potential, but seem to get easily distracted being at home and get restless and can't sit still.  What is it that you are doing to stay focused on your work?  Is it really about working weekends and second, third shifts?  Please share! I'm stuck at around 25K, when ...

You CAN Make Big Bucks With VR!! NOT
Apr 18, 2010

Poster below crows about how much money they make with VR.  What are these big bucks, you struggling VR people ask?  Poster states they clear $1000 a pay period--A whole $24,000 a year!  THOSE ARE THE BIG BUCKS??????  Sad, truly, truly sad.  ...

Those Of You Making Big Bucks With VR
Apr 14, 2014

To being prductive? I need to do at minimum 3000 lines per 8-hour shift.  Anyone have experience with VR on Dolbey Fusion. Do you guys read ahead of the voice? ...

This Is Why They Get Paid The Big Bucks
May 15, 2014

Another first today. In the HPI, the patient was white. In the physical examination the patient was an African American. At the end in summary, she was Hispanic. The good news is, she stayed a female the entire report. Sigh. ...

MT Schools Promising Big Bucks
Feb 25, 2012

First, don't get me wrong; I'm not trying to be negative about this in any way and wish any new MT success. However, with this profession dying like it is and even very experienced MTs just trying to eke out even $10 an hour . . . It really aggravates me all of these MT schools and courses trying to suck innocent people in with their high tuition costs, etc. The fact is that nowadays it is akin to going and paying x amount of money to go work for $10 or less an hour. These schools/c ...

Let Me Be Your Refer-a-friend
Mar 26, 2013

I am in serious need of a new transcription job, straight typing.  If your job offers a bonus for signing on a new employee, let me be your bonus.. if they don't and but still need help, please contact me.  I'm seriously on the verge of not being able to make my house payment in the near future.  Nine years transcription experience, basic 4, acute care, psychiatry.. you name it.. if I haven't done it, I can learn.  Current job switched to VR and ...

Friend Wants To Know...Where To Begin?
Jun 25, 2013

I have a friend who is a nurse who wants to get into medical transcripting. Since she has a lot of background, she doesn’t think it would take her long. I had a bad experience with the company that trained me, so I was wondering what you guys would recommend for her? Do you know of any companies that train then give live work or know of a low-cost school?I let her know that most companies require 3 years experience, so do you know of anyone who hires fresh MTs?Thanks in advance! ...

Fell Off The Grid....
Feb 12, 2015

This is the first time on this new pay plan that I've fallen below 99%.  I have had two reports audited so far.  Usually I have three or four, so maybe there is still hope.  The two reports I have had audited each had a tiny 0.25 point error -- enough to drop me down to a 98.75!!  ~sigh~ ...

Got An E-mail From MQ Friend. She Gave Her
Aug 15, 2010

Another one bites the dust.  She said she didn't have anything lined up yet; just couldn't stand the stress any longer.  ...

WHERE Is TTS? It Appears As Though They Fell Off The Planet!!!
Jul 29, 2011

Applied, was offered a position and NEVER heard another word.  Emailed and left message for recruiter and no acknowledgement that they ever existed.  Did I dream this?  It was just last week? ...

Dictator Fell Asleep
Jan 15, 2013

Just had a report where the dictator fell asleep and started snoring! ...

Asking For A Friend. How Many Hours Are Needed To Keep
Feb 18, 2013

x ...

Needing Advise For My Friend
Oct 25, 2013

My friend has worked at a local hospital for the past 6 years and within the last year they have gone to voice recognition. Now because of this they are running out of work on a daily basis and she has to use her vacation time when this happens (she takes at least 3 days of vacation per week). She is starting to run low on vacation time and then has to take it without pay. Did I read on here that she can apply for unemployment because of lack of work? I went to her house last night and helped h ...

Offering A Whopping 5 Bucks An Hour If You Do Overtime
Jun 03, 2013

They are offering a whopping 5 bucks an hour if you do overtime. Just another slap in the face. ...

Opinion Please: Friend Changing From Inhouse To MQ
Jan 08, 2012

Ok, I have a friend who has worked inhouse for a few years for a large hospital.  She makes $14 an hour with shift differential.  They have pretty much cut the incentive pay out.  She really doesn't get that I don't think anymore.  She is fustrated with her boss and is considering going to Medquist radiology transcription.  Another friend who works on the radiology side of MQ said she has not ran of work before and has 5 accounts to work on, etc.  She says ...

He Fell While Snowboarding And Suffered An Impact And ....
Jan 02, 2013

*foos* type mechanism onto the left hand and wrist. Review of x-rays a small cortical breach of the radius or the perhaps ulna.   ...

He Fell On His Pacemaker Recently And Bruised His Face?
Dec 03, 2009

He fell on his pacemaker recently and bruised his face?? That's what she said, but it sounds strange to me.  Would you leave it as is? ...

Friend Wants To Quit Inhouse Job To Work MedQuist
Jan 08, 2012

Someone who works at Medquist on the radiology side said that radiology isn't as bad as the acute care side.  She said she has not ran out of work yet, and she has been there several months.  I know what I see on these boards about the acute care side.  Does this pertain to the radiology side too or is it different?  ...

Help! Medication S/l Dompivil??? Patient Is Elderly And Fell Sm
Apr 14, 2012

really not much medical history accept a pacemaker. ...

Nuance MT Compensation...fell Out Of My Chair Laughing!
Dec 19, 2014

This is their "official" statement I found about their wonderful platform and the ability of MTs to increase their compensation up to 100%!!!  Wow!!!  Spitting my coke all over the computer screen    http://www.nuance.com/for-healthcare/resources/mt-compensation/index.htm ...

Which Verbatim Is It? Your's, Mine Or Their's?
Oct 30, 2010

Just worked on an ESL report (with unfortunately for me very, very, very little English).  This is a VERBATIM account.  Sent it to QA and it was "transformed" into English with little regard for that pesky word VERBATIM.  Does verbatim mean different things to different people? ...

W-2 - Got Mine In The Mail
Jan 22, 2013

Just got mine in the mail. ...

Anybody Else's TW Timesheet Look Like Mine?
Jan 29, 2013

It's longer than the constitution for Pete's sake! I end up with so many entries because I get a job, one that usually takes 2 minutes to type, send it off, then NJA, wait a minute, here comes another job, type it, takes 2 minutes, and on and on.  Craziness! ...