A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Friend wants to know...Where to begin? - Rachel

Posted: Jun 25, 2013

I have a friend who is a nurse who wants to get into medical transcripting. Since she has a lot of background, she doesn’t think it would take her long. 

I had a bad experience with the company that trained me, so I was wondering what you guys would recommend for her? Do you know of any companies that train then give live work or know of a low-cost school?

I let her know that most companies require 3 years experience, so do you know of anyone who hires fresh MTs?

Thanks in advance!

On-The-Spot Transcription hires newbies, but the pay is - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
very low (for anyone regardless of experience) at 4 cpl:(

on-the-spot - ep

[ In Reply To ..]
HOw do you find them?

Nurses don't have anymore experience than someone who is a regular Joe... - nm

[ In Reply To ..]
I love how they think they do just because they're in the medical. They also think they're at physician level. She needs take medical terminology for correct spelling and capitalization like everyone else. I have found that nurses are not very good transcriptionists. They think they kind of know it all coming into the profession. Not saying all, but 75 percent of the ones I have had to QA.

What exactly is the point of this snarky reply? It does not pertain to her question at all. - nm

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

it totally pertained - did not sound snarky to me

[ In Reply To ..]
She asked for advice on companies that hire new MTs not whether her friend would "cut it" - nm
[ In Reply To ..]
NM
So, she got a - bonus
[ In Reply To ..]

I heard the same thing about - nurses

[ In Reply To ..]
Not being snarky at all, but I've heard other people say the same thing. They basically start from square 1 like any new MT because of how differently things are done.

Also had a relative ask me how to get started with this because her brother's wife wanted to stay home with their new baby. She didn't think it would be hard for her because she had all kinds of LEGAL STUFF in college....? Like they're interchangeable?

You obviously don't QA my work. nm - justpassingthrough

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

You are part of the 25 percent then ;) - nm

[ In Reply To ..]
;)

what a gross generalization i hope nobody takes - mtr

[ In Reply To ..]
this to heart
every person is different gee wiz!!!

I think it is disturbing how unsupportive and rude people are to each other on this board. :( - nm

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

Most Nurses Quit. (sm) - Rose

[ In Reply To ..]
Having been in the business over 25 years I personally know nurses who have tried to do MT and they are brought to tears trying to understand what the doctors are saying. The recorded dictation is NOT what they hear in person from the doctors. They do have a lot of medical training but not all that is required to do this job. Plus they would be taking a pay cut to minimum wage or below. They would start out at less than a dollar an hour. Unless some disability requires they take a sedentary position, AND they have another form of support, i.e. disability, spousal income, etc. they will not be able to survive on the current wages which are one third to one fourth what they were in the 1980s.

Your friend might want to look into working for insurance companies interpreting medical reports. I'm not sure what the current situation is with that type of work, but it may be something she can do now without having to retrain.

" They would start out at less than a dollar an hour." How do - justpassingthrough

[ In Reply To ..]
you figure that? Even at 4 cpl, they would have to do less than 25 lph to make less than a dollar than hour.

As you learn how to do all the associated unpaid labor (sm) - Rose

[ In Reply To ..]
that we are required to perform, i.e.
Research demographics, research for first name, spelling and title of "copy to Henderson," search drug sites to see if the mispronunciation is just that or a new drug, check previous reports to try to decipher a slurred ROS or PE, check account specs to see who needs a second signature, check schedule to see who signs that day, refer to specs that are opposite of the BOS, etc., etc.,

Rachel - Nick

[ In Reply To ..]
Please, what is medical "transcripting?"

she should just apply with MModal - try to take the test

[ In Reply To ..]
either she passes or she doesn't.

Why does she want to go from nursing - to MT?

[ In Reply To ..]
My best friend is an RN -- not even one of those with a bachelor's degree. She just retired early (59) but was making $110K-$120K at the point she retired.

I, on the other hand, am an MT... and while I'm one of the very few MTs still making a good living, I'm going to be laid off before the end of the year -- at which point I plan to go back to school and learn something else, because I can't live on minimum wage, which is what I'd be looking at with another MT job.

Why on earth would your friend want to go from a field where she can make a good living to one where she's looking at minimum wage?! I know health care providers are squeezing all of their employees to breaking point and beyond -- nurses included -- but she needs to realize that going into MT is no way to get away from that. Yeah, she'll be getting the pressure, impossible expectations, and disrespect in email instead of face to face, which I'll admit IS easier to deal with... but she'll be dealing with it for minimum wage!

If she's willing to spend some money and time training, suggest to her that she go into a more viable field! Maybe something where her nursing background would be useful, like polysom tech, or...?

Anyway, she has MUCH better options than MT!!!

they need nurses for quality review and compliance - a much better choice

[ In Reply To ..]
a choice I might add that many of us would kill for, would have to take coding classes for and even then would probably not get the job, whereas a nurse will get the job no questions asked. This poster is right. Any nurse who goes into MT thinking it's oh so wonderful to work at home, or believing recruiters who talk about the big demand and the great pay, would be making a huge mistake.

I'm a nurse turned MT - MT

[ In Reply To ..]
I am an LPN and worked at a multispecialty clinic for 13 years. I worked in internal medicine, gastroenterology, physiatry (PM&R), neurology, urology, pedi, ortho, surgery, and neph.

I have now been an MT for almost 7 years. I thought it would be an easy transition. I had a lot to learn (grins) :)

I did have a lot of the terminology and medication names, but that's about it. There are still so many new terms I learn every day and diseases I have never heard of. Also, there are so many new meds all the time and dosages.

I've learned so much by transcribing. I gained respect for transcriptionists immediately when I realized I had no idea what I was doing :) I've learned a lot these last 7 years, but one thing I really learned was to never underestimate someone else's job. I'm not saying she is, but the transition will be harder than she realizes.

Also, companies will not hire you just because you are a nurse. She needs to training before ever applying.

I'm glad I made the decision to switch careers. I have a more flexible schedule for what I need to do for my daughter and with a lot less stress. I got tired of office politics and dealing with coworkers.

The way MT is going is concerning though and I'm not sure how things will be in a few years. I will always have my nursing license to fall back on just in case.

what hours do you work? - Rachel

[ In Reply To ..]
If you don't mind me asking what are your hours. Mine are a set shift. Do you just have a turnaround time for all your files?

First shift - MT

[ In Reply To ..]
My hours right now are 6:00 am to 2:00 pm. I love it that I can pick my daughter up from school and I'm here at home when she's out of school. At the clinic I worked at I could hardly even get off work to take her to the dentist or doctor without problems. It's not much better anywhere else in this town for nurses. Most places work with a skeleton crew. Gotta save that money you know ;)

When my daughter is older I may consider another job change. I want out of the medical field altogether. For now, this schedule works great for me. I just hope this job holds out

Similar Messages:

Let Me Be Your Refer-a-friend
Mar 26, 2013

I am in serious need of a new transcription job, straight typing.  If your job offers a bonus for signing on a new employee, let me be your bonus.. if they don't and but still need help, please contact me.  I'm seriously on the verge of not being able to make my house payment in the near future.  Nine years transcription experience, basic 4, acute care, psychiatry.. you name it.. if I haven't done it, I can learn.  Current job switched to VR and ...

Got An E-mail From MQ Friend. She Gave Her
Aug 15, 2010

Another one bites the dust.  She said she didn't have anything lined up yet; just couldn't stand the stress any longer.  ...

Asking For A Friend. How Many Hours Are Needed To Keep
Feb 18, 2013

x ...

Needing Advise For My Friend
Oct 25, 2013

My friend has worked at a local hospital for the past 6 years and within the last year they have gone to voice recognition. Now because of this they are running out of work on a daily basis and she has to use her vacation time when this happens (she takes at least 3 days of vacation per week). She is starting to run low on vacation time and then has to take it without pay. Did I read on here that she can apply for unemployment because of lack of work? I went to her house last night and helped h ...

Opinion Please: Friend Changing From Inhouse To MQ
Jan 08, 2012

Ok, I have a friend who has worked inhouse for a few years for a large hospital.  She makes $14 an hour with shift differential.  They have pretty much cut the incentive pay out.  She really doesn't get that I don't think anymore.  She is fustrated with her boss and is considering going to Medquist radiology transcription.  Another friend who works on the radiology side of MQ said she has not ran of work before and has 5 accounts to work on, etc.  She says ...

A Friend Of Mine Wants To Try This, Can She Make $30.00 An Hour Doing Transcription
Nov 02, 2009

A lady I have talked with wants to train in this kind of work and is planning on going to Andrews. Would she be making at least $30.00 an hour when she gets a job? Thanks. ...

A Friend Of Mine Asked About MTing Recently ....
Dec 20, 2010

I told her to give it not a second thought, it was a waste of money and time for the schooling required, and, even as an IC, she'd be LUCKY to make $.09 a line and have zero benefits.  I told her she'd be MUCH better off working for McDonald's. Who is going to enter this profession of low pay and no benefits in the future?  Who will stay when, even the transcriptionists who are fortunate enough to be doing straight transcription now, are gone after the switch to VR and ...

Friend Wants To Quit Inhouse Job To Work MedQuist
Jan 08, 2012

Someone who works at Medquist on the radiology side said that radiology isn't as bad as the acute care side.  She said she has not ran out of work yet, and she has been there several months.  I know what I see on these boards about the acute care side.  Does this pertain to the radiology side too or is it different?  ...

A Letter From A Doctor Friend Of Mine To His Congressman
Apr 18, 2013

The following is from a Facebook post from a physician friend of mine.  This is a letter he sent to his congressman.  I got permission from him to post it here.  Long read, but I feel galvanized by this:    I have been dealing with 2 electronic health record (EHR) systems and it is clear that the technology is not ready for implementation. I feel they will increse cost, decrese access, and decrease quality of care in their current state. I encourage anyone reading thi ...

When Does This Locking Out Begin?
Feb 25, 2010

Is it just for the North right now? ...

Begin S/l Defiw
Jun 03, 2010

xx ...

My Countdown Will Soon Begin
Sep 04, 2012

I'm very excited to venture out of the home, moving in a direction I will be appreciated by someone and feel I have a purpose.  It is not a pleasant job for most, but I am pleased and excited I chose it.  I have finished my CNA course and take my state test tomorrow bright and early.  If I pass, I will be on a journey for new employment in about two weeks.  From there, my education will continue and most likely it will be paid.  I will also have the opportunity to g ...

Let The Nickpicking Begin.
Jan 10, 2013

well, I have now begun to experience the petty QA dings.   A lab value "of" vs lab value "is", and removal of a comma.  And in one report, three terms that are easily found were blanked as if QA did not know what they were.  Well I knew!  Man, I am so glad I am out of here. ...

Our Lives Begin To End The Day We Become
Jan 21, 2013

Silent about things that matter." - Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. ...

I Cannot Begin To Tell You How Bad I Hate The
Apr 05, 2013

Especially when they are done by Offshore QA - auditing me - and marking errors that I really do not think I would make and/or miss. A drug dosage off by 700 MG?? I don't think so - not after 20 years!!! UGH - If this is what is going to happen the next few days, I may just not check my email! ...

This Is How They Will Begin Dumping US MTs.
Dec 04, 2014

Those getting 99.49 or not getting line count will be out the door.  This is how they will dump us.  In comparison to India and Korea, we are over paid numbers, not people.  This company has lost all values where their US employees are concerned.  Wonder what the CEOs bonus will be this year for running the company into the ground?  Good work Sir.  Can you say greed? ...

Let The Debate Begin
Mar 20, 2015

Here's my dilemma.  QA/audit/whatever says that Alzheimer disease is the proper usage.  Webmd, Mayo, NIH, and the disease webites, alz.com Alzheimer's website says it is Alzheimer's disease.  Same thing with Parkinson's (pdf.org), Crohn's (CCFA.org) etc., etc.  Always the apostrophe regardless.  What is everyone else doing and have you been corrected one way or the other?  ...

Let The MT Week BS Begin
May 15, 2015

I'm assuming we'll be asked to play a cutsie game every day and we'll be told ad nauseum how wonderful we are and how much we're appreciated. BLAH-BLAH-BLAH. Here's an idea: We already know we don't rate a bonus or a gift card so honor us by paying us a freakin' LIVING WAGE! My metrics accuracy score was 98.9% this week so I was told I need to work on my quality LOL. Yeah, that 0.1%--possibly due to not crossing a 'T' or dotting an 'I' ( ...

Advice On How To Begin MT Career
Jan 04, 2010

I would greatly appreciate any advice on how to get trained, the best training programs & how to eventually get hired as an MT.  I have zero medical background, so the right training program is critical & this is a huge commitment & the training is pricey so I want to get it right. Thanks in advance......... ...

Does Anyone Know When Andrews Will Begin Their ICD-10 Program?
Jul 12, 2011

I was wondering if anyone has heard the date when Andrews will begin their ICD-10 program. I also have been told that is critically important to know both ICD-9 and ICD-10. Do you agree, and why? ...

Where To Even Begin? New Vern Email
Aug 17, 2012

I just could not even get through the email without throwing up a little in my mouth.  Cadence of communications?  Is that why we have no comp plan yet? Future priorities?  Like what a new office space or more team building exercises?  Are we the MTs even on that list of priorities?  And my absolute favorite- Proud to work for Mmodal?  No.  Not even close.  Try embarrassed and ashamed and when people ask what I do I usually lie. If thi ...

Patient First - When They Might Begin Hiring Again?
Mar 10, 2015

Any insider info on when they might begin hiring again? Still hoping ... ...

S/l Suttar Approach To Begin A Craniectomy
Aug 07, 2013

nm ...

Do You Think That As The Economy Improves That Industry Wide Salaries Will Begin To Improve?
Sep 22, 2010

I know and accept the fact (albeit grudgingly) that ASR and offshoring are the wave of the future, but do you think that as the economy improves that things will cycle and what we do will once again become valued with the recognition of our value being reflected in higher salaries?  Or do you think that the unhappy reality is that regardless of the economy salaries will either remain stagnant or continue to trend downward? Thanks in advance for your input. ...

Friend Of Mine Fell For One Of Those "BIG BUCKS (MT-ing) FROM HOME" Ads
Mar 05, 2010

So she signed up for this teach yourself transcription course, captured and enraptured by all its 'carnival barking' about the money, the prestige, and the convenience of working at home and being your own (uh-huh) boss...offering the world on a platter and stopping just shy of suggesting she could meet/marry a doctor.   Flashcards in a box.  Albeit medical words...but...flashcards in a box.     ...

MS WORD HELP. Will Not Begin Sentence With First Letter In All Caps Anymore, Also The Letter "
Dec 20, 2009

A few weeks ago, for no reason that I can find, I cannot get the first letter of a sentence to be in all caps automatically, (unless I do it manually.)  The same for the letter " I " by itself when typed.   It was always automatic and now all of a sudden it is doing this and I cannot figure out how to change it back. Has anybody else had this problem, if so, how did you fix it? Thanks, appreciate the help ...