A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

any advice for dictator who is loud and soft - frustrated

Posted: Apr 07, 2012

I can't find a happy medium.  It is too loud when he is loud and too soft when he is soft.  It's horrible and hurts and slows me down. 

Thanks for any suggestions offered.  UGH. 

oh, I hate those. I crank them up and pull the ear buds, - or whatever, out a little.

[ In Reply To ..]
good luck.

I had a couple of those last night. :( - (sm) - Meerkat

[ In Reply To ..]
One of them kept walking around the room, away from the microphone. So I'd turn it up. Then he'd sit down, put the mic right in front of his mouth, and speak loudly. After recovering from that shock, I'd turn it down again, only to have it go faint again. Arrrggghhhh!

I used to have this one doctor who would always dictate very softly, almost inaudibly. I had to have the sound cranked all the way up. But always, at some point in virtually every dictation, this woman would COUGH into the microphone as loud as is humanly possible. There was never any warning. It was nerve-jangling and physically painful, and usually resulted in ringing in my ears.

Never mind just leaving a blank wherever she coughed. I would of course flag it for QA, and send it to them so it blew THEIR evil ears out, too.

I got so fed up with that doctor, that whenever she delivered one of her ear-shattering coughs, I didn't care if more dictation followed. The report ended RIGHT THERE, as far as I was concerned! and that's as far as I would transcribe it.

too loud/soft - ssss

[ In Reply To ..]
I have a keyboard with volume controls - that helps lots!! My headphones also have a volume control but then have to take fingers off keyboard.

thanks for your suggestions - and commiseration/OP

[ In Reply To ..]
Just one more thing to add to the pile of complaints, I reckon.

I think I will turn the volume up and put the earphones outside my ears but right next to the holes. It shouldn't hurt as much then.

I also have a cougher, and that is so distressing to deal with, not knowing when it's going to happen.

ps , helps when stuck on a blank, too, sometimes. - NM

[ In Reply To ..]

LOUD and soft - What I do

[ In Reply To ..]
My hearing is precious to me. I've spent a lifetime trying to avoid painful and debilitating noises. Ordinarily, I hook my headset up to an old set of computer speakers (Acer) with volume and tone control and adjust every dictator for comfort if necessary. When I get these idiot loud/soft dictators, I unplug my headset and just listen to the dictation out loud through the speakers, adjusting for every sentence (or more often). Sometimes I'll mark those softspoken areas for closer scrutiny with my headset if required. I do my work right next to a window. Is this a HIPAA violation, the possibility that someone may overhear it? I DO NOT CARE.

I also handle most cellphone dictations this way; the underwater/electric shock quality gives me headaches, and the majority of these reports have to be re-listened to at least twice all the way through for accuracy. HIPAA? WhatEVER. Some docs dictate their records without the first consideration for privacy. I feel that they deserve the same from me.

good advice, thanks - frustrated

[ In Reply To ..]
Never thought about speakers before.

Similar Messages:

OMG, Loud Frogs Are Drowning Out Dictator!
May 18, 2012

This is a first-- loud croaking frogs are drowning out the surgeon. I mean really loud frogs!!! He is on a landline, so this is really, really weird. ...

Listening To Dictator - And Loud Cartoons
May 13, 2015

Today I had the misfortune to have 2 lo-o-o-ng reports by the same dictator - I suspect someone else had him before me and said No Thanks and passed him on to me.  He wouldn't have been bad at all if he'd just speeded up about 5 times faster, and if his son had not been listening to cartoons about 3 feet away.  Actually, his mentation was so slow, it was probably his grandson listening to cartoons.  At one point, he turned around and asked the kid to turn it down some, a ...

Just Thinking Out Loud!!!
Oct 14, 2010

I have been reading the daily posts for weeks now of MTs applying for jobs with MTSOs, large and small, leaving their sometimes current positions to go with a company who advertise they have new accounts, always steady work, never have to worry about NJA. Then, the MTs join these companies/service owners and within a day/sometimes hours, they have now fallen into the category of another day without work/waiting for work, etc. I just don't understand this. I would think this would be a ...

Loud Doctors
Mar 24, 2012

I have an account where nearly all the doctors seem to be yelling in the microphone or the recording volume is cranked up causing severe distortion of the audio, where turning my own volume down makes them quieter but then I can't make out what they are saying.  My CCM has brought this to the facility's attention and some have corrected their ways, but she named a couple of doctors who had refused.  Refused!?  Why?  Because someone is telling you what to d ...

I Probably Shouldn't Ask This Too Loud
Jul 24, 2013

Particularly on the review of systems and physical examination, now stacking up to the left if it is supposed to do so, with headings and colons? ...

Please Help! You Know That LOUD Bell Sound That
Aug 28, 2010

happens right after you upload a job and right before you get the "spellcheck complete" message?  I know someone described how to stop that sound before but I can't find it.  I would be so appreciative if someone could let me know.......this thing is driving me CRAZY.  Thanks!  :) ...

Do You Talk Out Loud To Your Dictators
Jul 26, 2012

I do.  My faithful dog who sits beside me all day must think I am talking to him, but sometimes when they say the most idiotic things I just feel compelled to respond out loud.  It does make me feel better.  On the flipside of that, I wonder if the dictators are thinking to themselves while dictating that they sure hope I don't leave any blanks so they have to fill them in. It would be fun (?) to get together with some doctors and have a session of "To Tell The Truth A ...

At Least We Get To Laugh Out Loud While Working
May 06, 2014

MEDICATIONS: New pigeon. Don't you just love it? ...

Does There Really Have To Be A Loud Ding In Our Ears When There Is No Match For ADT??
Jan 05, 2011

This doctor not only mumbles the name, but mumbles the spelling of the name.  I try every which way to spell what I hear, but I get that "no matching results found for the chosen criteria" ALONG WITH THAT *$#$ DING.  Its not enough to get that message of not finding the patient, but to hear that ding is driving me crazy....especially with report after report of this same name mumbling man... ...

I'm Just Happy Enough With Life Tonight To Wonder This Out Loud....
Jan 27, 2012

If I read along regularly and reply only sporadically, who the heck is following my posts enough to stalk me?  Really?  ...

This Is Weird. Does Anyone Else Ever Hear Like A Loud Buzz In The
Jun 03, 2015

background.  It seems to happen when I am typing fast and maybe the keys get going to fast and then I hear this loud buzz so not sure what that is.  It isnt all the time just every now and then.  Rather difficult to explain. ...

Loud Buzz After Lifting Foot Pedal
Jul 17, 2014

Hello everyone, I have downloaded .wav files and tried to play them in Express Scribe and also in Transcription Buddy.  They both play great when first pressing the foot pedal.  But when I let up on the pedal, there is a VERY loud buzz that won't go away until I delete the file, and not even after I exit the software.   Each successive time I press and release the foot pedal, the quality of the buzzing changes - loud, soft, different tones - but it never goes away.  ...

Getting Sick Of The Loud Snappy Cracky Sounds Of Late
Oct 08, 2010

x ...

Soft Call?
Nov 12, 2009

Her EMG about six months ago by Dr. _____ showed some left soft call 6-7 radicular suggestion but more importantly no peripheral nerve entrapment, injury or disease.   is this soft call? ...

Soft Looking Tissues?
Dec 08, 2010

would it be "soft-looking tissues" or "soft looking tissues"? I am usually pretty good with hyphen rules, but am drawing a blank here. Do you still hyphenate when you have an -ing word? ...

Re: Soft Script
Dec 24, 2010

I am curious if anybody has had any experience with this company whether applying or working for them. I find it disturbing that the school I graduated from lists them as one of the possible employers to apply for work since they hire new grads. I applied a few days ago, and they said I didn't have the amount of experience they were looking for. I have 2 years experience doing family practice reports plus just graduated recently. I would have thought I qualified. This is so discouraging. I ...

Soft Script?
Aug 31, 2012

Benefits: We offer 401K, and paid time off! Outstanding medical/dental/vision/life benefits available, discounted Dell computers, employee referral bonus program, minimum line requirements lower than industry average, MT Mentoring, production incentives; account variety; direct deposit. Anyone care to elaborate on the above?  TIA ...

Does Anybody Know Anything About Soft Script?
Jul 10, 2013

Soft Script MTs
Apr 19, 2014

SS currently has an ad, from what I read on here I think I would like to join you.  Two questions:  How many accounts must you work to stay in work and is there any training pay?  Thank you so much! ...

Soft Script Always Out Of Work !
Jan 20, 2011

Hi everyone.  I have been with Soft Script for 3-1/2 years.  Lately I am ALWAYS, ALWAYS out of work.  What is going on ??  Does anyone know ??  Also, they implemented "production managers" now and mine took nearly all my accounts away !!! I called her and asked for some of them back.  Is anyone else always out of work or having issues with their "production manager" ? ...

QA ? Soft-tissue Calcifications
Apr 21, 2011

I put   soft-tissue calcifications   and in another report put   soft-tissue swelling   and an editor changed it to  soft tissue calcifications    soft tissue swelling.    Was I wrong?  I thought it needed a hyphen.   ...

Soft Script Radiology
May 14, 2011

Anyone currently work for Soft Script doing radiology?  Good, bad and ugly about company, platform, management, pay etc?   Thanks Emma ...

Soft Script - Anyone Satisfied???
May 31, 2011

I'm curious to know if anyone CURRENTLY is happy with this company.  Is work steady?  I was under the impression they are 100% straight typing despite the letter I got today for testing which mentioned editing.  I've not heard many positives about them.  Does anyone have anything positive to say?  ...

Abdomen Soft, A Brief Smash
Jul 13, 2012

sounds like doctor says, "Abdomen soft, a brief smash shows a corinthin neck." Is this right?.... ...

Anybody Know Anything About Soft Script And Nuance?
Mar 28, 2013

Maybe I'm Just Getting Soft-hearted In My Older
Jun 05, 2014

More and more I find it difficult to not shed tears during a report of a baby being sick or of a spouse who is struggling and depressed after losing their loved one. Especially hard when the dictator has to pause to gain composure before continuing.   ...

IStim Soft Tissue Mobilization?
May 21, 2010

Patient has lateral epicondylitis.  Doc is recommending "soft tissue mobilization techniques such as iStim and formal physical therapy"   Doc clearly says iStim, but the only thing I can find by that name is a TENS unit sex toy....and I doubt that will do much for his elbow. ...

Don't You Just Love Soft-spoken Dictators Who
Jan 14, 2012

speak very softy whilst dictating but then, without warning.......                     will cough very loudly and quite capably into the mike, rattling your inner core. Thanks, Bub.  I didn't need my tympanic membranes anymore since I am already headed into Oldladyville, and I have my eye on a fashionable rhinestone-studded ear horn.    ...

Give Him Some Soft Water And Peroxide *lavoshes* In The Right Ear. Thanks. Nm
Dec 09, 2009

nm ...

Soft Touch Keyboard For Excessive Typing
Aug 31, 2011

I need some of your opinions on soft touch keyboard for excessive typing.  Anyone have a favorite? ...