A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Maybe I'm just getting soft-hearted in my older - years.

Posted: Jun 05, 2014

More and more I find it difficult to not shed tears during a report of a baby being sick or of a spouse who is struggling and depressed after losing their loved one. Especially hard when the dictator has to pause to gain composure before continuing.  

not just you - wow2

[ In Reply To ..]
The older I get the more fragile I realize we all are. My husband and I cannot even watch television w/o shedding a tear for something that is going on. Think as we get older we gain a little compassion for tough times and I myself more humble than I was 30 years ago...

I have cried for terminal cancer patients and - their spouses

[ In Reply To ..]
The saddest reports for me are when the patient and their spouse receive their prognosis. One usually is calm and the other gets upset. They're like two halves that balance each other out, and they've just learned they're going to lose half of themselves.

Oh, God. :(

My saddest one was the newborn that failed to survive. - softhearted

[ In Reply To ..]
Baby lived for about 20 minutes while the dad and aunt held her. Mother couldn't hold her due to sedation from C section. Also, had a report today where a man refused antidepressants as he wanted to mourn the loss of his wife 2 years ago because he felt closer to her when he did. Doctor even got choked up on this one.

I have cried over the years - criertoo

[ In Reply To ..]
for situations while doing reports. Just last week I shed some tears when a 61 YO mother/grandmother was extubated and gave 2 thumbs up and a smile before dying. Her family was gathered around her. Like a previous poster said, even the doctor was touched by this.
I think the saddest one for me was... - criertoo
[ In Reply To ..]
when a 21 YO man was shot point-blank range several times with a shotgun and went through emergency surgery but died. Doctor was up in the ICU dictating when I heard the doors to the ICU open after he stated through the speakers he was the grandfather of patient so-and-so. He went to the nurses station asking to see his grandson/what room. The doctor whispered "oh my God". The doctor put the phone down and went over and told the grandfather his grandson had passed. My heart literally broke in half listening to him screaming. I'm trying not to cry right now thinking about it.

Two memorable dictations - over the years

[ In Reply To ..]
About 20 years ago, I was working as an MT in an office (no remote MT then) late at night. A surgeon was dictating several reports and finally finished. About 10 minutes after he left the hospital, he was in an MVA, and I got all the ER reports when he was brought in. He was air-lifted to a major hospital because his injuries were so devastating. Two years later, I got his first dictation when he returned to work after rehab. I still cry when I think of it. He was a changed man, for sure.

The 2nd memorable dictation was by an ESL who operated on a teenage boy brought into the ER following an MVA. The boy died on the operating table, and the surgeon ended the report by saying, "I hope God gives this family peace." So genuine,so honest. I always gave his reports special attention after that.

OMG I'm tearing up right now reading these - ...

[ In Reply To ..]
This is why I'm not a nurse, I just could not deal with that in person. More power to them and my utmost respect.

My very first live report as an MT was an elderly woman in hospice who passed away. The first heading was "date of death." I had to take a few minutes to compose myself just to start typing. I never had to type a death report in school.

One report was a woman in her 30s undergoing fertility treatments and IVF who was diagnosed with breast cancer. Same age as me. I was undergoing IUI at that time and it scared me to death. I cried to my husband when he got home.

Another report was of a pregnant woman about 25 weeks or so along who gave birth on the toilet in the hospital. The baby did not survive. I took my glasses and headphones off, and just sat there and bawled for a good 10 minutes. (dude, tears)

How do doctors and nurses do it?

the one that made me cry - MTMT

[ In Reply To ..]
My first transcription job was in-house for a mental health agency. I was typing the psychiatrist's report where he was talking about his patient who, as a child, would be beaten with a belt by his father in the front yard! I just sat there with tears running down my face as I tried to type. I was also the front desk receptionist, so I had direct personal contact with these patients; they weren't just a name on the page to me. There was also a woman coming in for counseling as part of her probation. She had spent 10 years in jail for killing her abusive husband. She was defending herself, so unfair! She did not deserve to be in jail after what he did to her!

tear jerkers - me

[ In Reply To ..]
Yep, the one that got me the most...I was a newbie, (EEKS) 30 years ago, and the doctor was dictating a death summary, oncology patient, and he was crying. He could barely get through it. By the end, we were both crying. He didn't practice, at least at our hospital, much longer. I'm not sure he made it with oncology.

Similar Messages:

Older Folks
Oct 26, 2011

Anyone in their 60's (I'm 66) who is studying to become a coder?  If I begin with Andrews, I will be probably 68 when I'm ready to apply for a job.  Is this realistic, or should I save my money?  Thanks. ...

Testing For Older MTs
Mar 26, 2013

Okay. I've been out of MT school for 40 years (seriously). That was when it was Secretarial School. Now the new testing on some sites SUCKS.. Instead of just having us transcribe in the objective - they have those idiot grammar questions. Well after all these years I find some of the things on that stupid. I have passed two and failed two. How can I have different results for different companies. Run on sentence, fragmented sentence - really - we type and edit (if allowed) as they d ...

Re: Companies Discriminating Against Older MTs...
Oct 18, 2010

I don't know any young people who are even slightly interested in MTing.  Don't you think the companies have very little to choose from except old people to do MT anymore? ...

Have Any Of You Found That As You've Gotten Older, Other Variables Aside... Sm
Oct 13, 2011

that it's harder to pull these lines? Don't get me wrong, my speed has also been impacted by some of the changes that we've seen in the industry over the last few years, but I just don't have the energy, so to speak, that I had when I was younger to crank out lines in a high-producer range.  It's so tiring to try to maintain a steady frenzied pace for eight hours.  I'm not a machine.  Just don't know what to do. I need the money, but I just can& ...

Older (age) MTs Leaving Questions
Sep 20, 2012

Okay, I have a question for those of you 55+ that have or are considering leaving the MT world.  I have been considering it myself but I'm afraid at this age to go back to school for anything else.  Already did that for MT and well everyone knows how that is going these days for most, so very scared to jump on that again along with the cost versus expectations of working, getting hired, and length of employment, etc.  (Not to mention at this point my memory is terrible as wel ...

I Am On An Older Version Of DQS With A Hospital And I Am Having
Oct 31, 2012

tremendous lag in upload and download.  Not sure what to do.  I am having Comcast out here and call MQ but so far no luck finding out what caused this. ...

How Do You View Older Messages?
Apr 24, 2013

(Like, say, from yesterday). ...

Express Scribe - Anyone Know Where I Can Get An Older Version Of This?
Mar 26, 2010

got new computer and uploaded express scribe but the new version seems to take FOREVER to load up my dss files.  I miss my old version!!!  Anyone know where I can find an older version to download?   Thanks!!! ...

Older Rheumatoid Arthritis Medication?
Sep 23, 2010

Does anyone know of an older RA medication that s/l kolt?  The only reason it was stopped is b/c there were newer medications available and I can't find anything, given that she sould be saying just about anything that starts with a "k" sound and has one syllable.  Thanks! ...

Wiping Older XP Computer Clean
Dec 30, 2011

I have an XP computer that I no longer use.  I have a Vista I am currently using.  The XP had gotten slow, was freezing up constantly, etc.  On Vista, you can wipe the hard drive clean back to its condition when it was new, but I believe you have to have the CD to do this on XP.  Does anyone have any suggestions of how I can start over with the XP if I don't have a CD to do it?  I would like to get the computer hooked back up and have 2 computers.  ...

Express Scribe Older Versions
Jul 29, 2013

I've read posts that suggest downloading older versions if the newest version causes trouble with files (which it is).  Yesterday I tested with a really great company that I hope to work for.  There were 4 test files on MTTest that I used Express Scribe 5.57 (newest version, free 14-day trial).  One test made it through, but the other 3 did not.  I did keep getting kicked out of the company's website after test dictation.  Then I'd come back in and go thro ...

Does Anyone Have An Older Version Of Express Scribe
Aug 28, 2014

Mine got deleted after I had to get a complete reinstall. It's not on either of my flash drives, it's gone. Does anyone have a copy of an older version with less complicated features and crap that I can get a copy from you, please? This program is no longer truly free. You download the "free" version and in 14 days you are locked out of it unless you pay. You can't use "all the features" which simply means the foot pedal option does not work anymore. This company d ...

Need Info On MTS Of Texas - Older Posts Are In Archive
Jul 28, 2010

Need to know if the situation has improved at MTS?   Would appreciate any elaboration by MTs who are there and making this company work for them.   Thank you - MT is Me ...

Any Current Info On Inscribe? All I See Are Older Posts
Aug 14, 2014

nm ...

Soft Call?
Nov 12, 2009

Her EMG about six months ago by Dr. _____ showed some left soft call 6-7 radicular suggestion but more importantly no peripheral nerve entrapment, injury or disease.   is this soft call? ...

Soft Looking Tissues?
Dec 08, 2010

would it be "soft-looking tissues" or "soft looking tissues"? I am usually pretty good with hyphen rules, but am drawing a blank here. Do you still hyphenate when you have an -ing word? ...

Re: Soft Script
Dec 24, 2010

I am curious if anybody has had any experience with this company whether applying or working for them. I find it disturbing that the school I graduated from lists them as one of the possible employers to apply for work since they hire new grads. I applied a few days ago, and they said I didn't have the amount of experience they were looking for. I have 2 years experience doing family practice reports plus just graduated recently. I would have thought I qualified. This is so discouraging. I ...

Soft Script?
Aug 31, 2012

Benefits: We offer 401K, and paid time off! Outstanding medical/dental/vision/life benefits available, discounted Dell computers, employee referral bonus program, minimum line requirements lower than industry average, MT Mentoring, production incentives; account variety; direct deposit. Anyone care to elaborate on the above?  TIA ...

Does Anybody Know Anything About Soft Script?
Jul 10, 2013

Soft Script MTs
Apr 19, 2014

SS currently has an ad, from what I read on here I think I would like to join you.  Two questions:  How many accounts must you work to stay in work and is there any training pay?  Thank you so much! ...

Soft Script Always Out Of Work !
Jan 20, 2011

Hi everyone.  I have been with Soft Script for 3-1/2 years.  Lately I am ALWAYS, ALWAYS out of work.  What is going on ??  Does anyone know ??  Also, they implemented "production managers" now and mine took nearly all my accounts away !!! I called her and asked for some of them back.  Is anyone else always out of work or having issues with their "production manager" ? ...

QA ? Soft-tissue Calcifications
Apr 21, 2011

I put   soft-tissue calcifications   and in another report put   soft-tissue swelling   and an editor changed it to  soft tissue calcifications    soft tissue swelling.    Was I wrong?  I thought it needed a hyphen.   ...

Soft Script Radiology
May 14, 2011

Anyone currently work for Soft Script doing radiology?  Good, bad and ugly about company, platform, management, pay etc?   Thanks Emma ...

Soft Script - Anyone Satisfied???
May 31, 2011

I'm curious to know if anyone CURRENTLY is happy with this company.  Is work steady?  I was under the impression they are 100% straight typing despite the letter I got today for testing which mentioned editing.  I've not heard many positives about them.  Does anyone have anything positive to say?  ...

Abdomen Soft, A Brief Smash
Jul 13, 2012

sounds like doctor says, "Abdomen soft, a brief smash shows a corinthin neck." Is this right?.... ...

Anybody Know Anything About Soft Script And Nuance?
Mar 28, 2013

IStim Soft Tissue Mobilization?
May 21, 2010

Patient has lateral epicondylitis.  Doc is recommending "soft tissue mobilization techniques such as iStim and formal physical therapy"   Doc clearly says iStim, but the only thing I can find by that name is a TENS unit sex toy....and I doubt that will do much for his elbow. ...

Don't You Just Love Soft-spoken Dictators Who
Jan 14, 2012

speak very softy whilst dictating but then, without warning.......                     will cough very loudly and quite capably into the mike, rattling your inner core. Thanks, Bub.  I didn't need my tympanic membranes anymore since I am already headed into Oldladyville, and I have my eye on a fashionable rhinestone-studded ear horn.    ...

Any Advice For Dictator Who Is Loud And Soft
Apr 07, 2012

I can't find a happy medium.  It is too loud when he is loud and too soft when he is soft.  It's horrible and hurts and slows me down.  Thanks for any suggestions offered.  UGH.  ...

Give Him Some Soft Water And Peroxide *lavoshes* In The Right Ear. Thanks. Nm
Dec 09, 2009

nm ...