A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Soft Script? - See message

Posted: Aug 31, 2012

Benefits:

We offer 401K, and paid time off! Outstanding medical/dental/vision/life benefits available, discounted Dell computers, employee referral bonus program, minimum line requirements lower than industry average, MT Mentoring, production incentives; account variety; direct deposit.

Anyone care to elaborate on the above?  TIA

Do they run out of work? - Inquiring minds

[ In Reply To ..]
Even the best benefits are useless if there is no work availalble.

Currently work for SS and overall happy with them. - SM

[ In Reply To ..]
All of the above is true, except I wouldn't say their benefits package is "outstanding," and I'm speaking mainly of the major medical, which I have not been happy with, but that may be just the nature of what's available these days. They do offer all of it, though, just as the ad states.

They do have a reputation of running out of work a lot, and the transcription platform they use, while easy to learn and use, is sometimes frustratingly slow. As far as the work availability, I solved that issue with supplementing part time as an IC with another company. Don't like having all my eggs in one basket these days anyway, so that aspect is manageable for anyone who really wants to make it work. Right now they are in major overtime mode. They say it is from taking on new business, which I know for a fact they are because I just got one of the new accounts, but it could be from attrition as well.

Been with them for just over 2 years and have been overall happy except for the low work issues, which as I said led me to a better situation in the long run anyway. They do not mess with speech recognition, as company philosophy is that it is just a way to take advantage of the MT, which is absolutely true. The technology is dead in the water unless we make it work, and no one is being paid fairly to do so in my opinion, so I like that they recognize that about that technology and avoid it.

There have been issues in the past with management/supervisor/QA attitudes, but I don't see that anymore. Their minimums are very reasonable, and as long as you produce quality work they are pleased.

I have always heard (and still do) that if you don't get your minimum lines in even when the work has not been there they immediately get on your case. That has not been my experience. I have never had anyone bother me about that. I did get an email one time because I did not meet the minimums for the pay period, but when I pointed out that was because I had missed a lot of time due to there being no work, they recanted and never bothered me again, which is as it should be.

Overall, I like SS. Any place is what you make it for the most part. Not every place is for everybody, so there will be those who don't like this or that company for very good personal reasons. But those experiences of theirs do not necessarily represent the overall attitude as much as it represents a bad fit in that particular instance. There are bad companies. I've been around this business for over 2 decades, and I can tell you the bad ones are out there. I do not categorize SS as one of them. They have their pros and cons just like everyone else.

Bottom line, everything they claim they offer is accurate, and the work issue is improving and manageable irregardless. There is no way to know whether any one company will be a good fit for you or not until you jump in and get your feet wet. What I can guarantee is that you will not get screwed jumping in with SS. You may choose to move on at some point, but you will be paid for the work you do fairly (by comparison to industry standards) and on time.

Thank You So Much for taking time - to give specifics/nm

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

If no VR at SS what does an "acute care editor" do? I see they're advertising for thi - wondering

[ In Reply To ..]
x

Editors work with the reports that go on hold for whatever reason - blanks, missing demos, etc. NM

[ In Reply To ..]
XX

I do have a question for you. Is the sound still so bad on their system and do they hire PT. nm - PAMT

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

Question answered - inside

[ In Reply To ..]
Sound seems just fine to me. In my experience, sound problems typically are the result of clueless dictators using cell phones, speaker phones, etc. I work part time for a second company, and the audio is no better or worse for one than the other. I do take steps to enhance the sound quality on my end. I hooked up a little 3-band equilizer called the EQ50 I purchased from Koss on line. It gives me added volume when I need it and allows me to manipulate bass, mid, and treble ranges to enhance clarity. Definitely worth the $20 investment and a piece of cake to plug in. Goes through a couple of AAA batteries every 4-6 weeks (unless I forget to turn it off when I'm finished working).

I know they have part-time people working because I see emails all the time telling the part timers they can jump on for extra work. Whether or not they are currently taking on part-time people I couldn't say, although I would imagine they are since they are hiring.
That sounds good. I have some whisperers too. How do - PAMT
[ In Reply To ..]
you plug that into your computer.
EQ50 equilizer. How it works - See message
[ In Reply To ..]
The EQ50 is a small unit, about 4 x 2 inches, that sits on my desk. I use Velcro to keep it from sliding around. On one end it has an "out" jack and on the other end an "in" jack. You run a line from your computer sound jack (front or back)to the "in" jack on the EQ50. Then you plug your head set into the "out" jack on the EQ and you're good to go. Very simple. I also run it through my external stereo speakers to get the additional volume boost they can provide. To do that, you need stereo speakers with a headset plug on them, which most have. Then, instead of running the line from your computer to the "in" jack on the EQ, you run the line from the headset jack on your speaker to the "in" jack on the EQ. Since the speakers are already plugged into the computer and giving you sound, you are just including them in the loop instead of bypassing them and going from your computer straight to the EQ. You then have the additional volume that your speaker volume knob can provide.

SoftScript is the Best of 5 for me - Tin ear

[ In Reply To ..]
I was bought out twice by the M*Oddal once with Spheris and once with ETransPlus. I have been with SS for nearly a yr (Thanksgiving) and right now we are swamped with work at SS even with some mandatory OT. The only thing I dislike is I work for both West and East Coast accounts including a trauma ctr in NYC, and I get tired of doing 98% ESL and foreign patients for reasons we all know of, mostly that I would make a lot more money if I could work faster. My mother recently passed away, and my PM and HR were very nice and they paid me days of bereavement. Two last things. I really love the way their reference site is organized around the work platform. Truly everything is right at your fingertips and they use the same demographic format for all accounts. Plus I like straight transcription because I have a dynamite expander dictionary. I could make this home, but am always paranoid about the M* taking me over again.

THANK YOU! - MedTrans2012

[ In Reply To ..]
This was a very well-written and unbiased review! I am applying as I type this right now to SS; will see what happens. Thank you!

SoftScript specifics - WorkerBee

[ In Reply To ..]
The Good: 1. They pay on time and offer direct deposit. 2. I have had only 1 really bad experience with management. Since then I have never received a demeaning email as some of my fellow SSers have. Several hard to work with people (and 1 psycho!) aren't there anymore. My PM is great. 3. Right now there is plenty of work as they have picked up a new account.

The Bad: 1. Outdated software and a platform so creaky it sounds like someone opened King Tut's tomb when you log on. Hard to make money when you're mousing around and not typing. 2. Tech support is slow to respond and completely absent on weekends. 3. Skimpy time off for full time and 10 hours a year for part time (it's probably legal, but it's for sure immoral). 4. No work has been the norm for the past year and a half.

3. The Iffy: 1. Until the last 3 weeks I have run out of work every shift. Since benefits depend on meeting line counts as another poster said, you're taking a chance with SS if you need bennies as the no work situation could easily return. 2. What incentive program?? 3. For some reason they have a hard time hanging on to new accounts, so the work from these often dries up after a few weeks. 4. They're kind of sneaky/less than forthcoming about policies and how much work there is. Maybe that's true everywhere now.

Similar Messages:

Re: Soft Script
Dec 24, 2010

I am curious if anybody has had any experience with this company whether applying or working for them. I find it disturbing that the school I graduated from lists them as one of the possible employers to apply for work since they hire new grads. I applied a few days ago, and they said I didn't have the amount of experience they were looking for. I have 2 years experience doing family practice reports plus just graduated recently. I would have thought I qualified. This is so discouraging. I ...

Does Anybody Know Anything About Soft Script?
Jul 10, 2013

Soft Script MTs
Apr 19, 2014

SS currently has an ad, from what I read on here I think I would like to join you.  Two questions:  How many accounts must you work to stay in work and is there any training pay?  Thank you so much! ...

Soft Script Always Out Of Work !
Jan 20, 2011

Hi everyone.  I have been with Soft Script for 3-1/2 years.  Lately I am ALWAYS, ALWAYS out of work.  What is going on ??  Does anyone know ??  Also, they implemented "production managers" now and mine took nearly all my accounts away !!! I called her and asked for some of them back.  Is anyone else always out of work or having issues with their "production manager" ? ...

Soft Script Radiology
May 14, 2011

Anyone currently work for Soft Script doing radiology?  Good, bad and ugly about company, platform, management, pay etc?   Thanks Emma ...

Soft Script - Anyone Satisfied???
May 31, 2011

I'm curious to know if anyone CURRENTLY is happy with this company.  Is work steady?  I was under the impression they are 100% straight typing despite the letter I got today for testing which mentioned editing.  I've not heard many positives about them.  Does anyone have anything positive to say?  ...

Anybody Know Anything About Soft Script And Nuance?
Mar 28, 2013

Anyone Interviewed Recently With Soft Script And Found The
Oct 01, 2012

an isolated experience I had.  Maybe she was having a bad day?  I was just really turned off and think I will decline a position with them based on this experience.  Don't these companies realize the recruiter experience is the first face we see in your company?  Very disappointed here.  ...

Are OSI And Opti-Script The Same Company?? Need Info On Opti-Script
Nov 22, 2009

Can someone please email me priviately about Opti-Script.   I would like current info on what this company is like to work for and what line rate they start at.  Also, do they have any type of incentive pay?   Thanks so much! ...

Soft Call?
Nov 12, 2009

Her EMG about six months ago by Dr. _____ showed some left soft call 6-7 radicular suggestion but more importantly no peripheral nerve entrapment, injury or disease.   is this soft call? ...

Soft Looking Tissues?
Dec 08, 2010

would it be "soft-looking tissues" or "soft looking tissues"? I am usually pretty good with hyphen rules, but am drawing a blank here. Do you still hyphenate when you have an -ing word? ...

QA ? Soft-tissue Calcifications
Apr 21, 2011

I put   soft-tissue calcifications   and in another report put   soft-tissue swelling   and an editor changed it to  soft tissue calcifications    soft tissue swelling.    Was I wrong?  I thought it needed a hyphen.   ...

Abdomen Soft, A Brief Smash
Jul 13, 2012

sounds like doctor says, "Abdomen soft, a brief smash shows a corinthin neck." Is this right?.... ...

Maybe I'm Just Getting Soft-hearted In My Older
Jun 05, 2014

More and more I find it difficult to not shed tears during a report of a baby being sick or of a spouse who is struggling and depressed after losing their loved one. Especially hard when the dictator has to pause to gain composure before continuing.   ...

IStim Soft Tissue Mobilization?
May 21, 2010

Patient has lateral epicondylitis.  Doc is recommending "soft tissue mobilization techniques such as iStim and formal physical therapy"   Doc clearly says iStim, but the only thing I can find by that name is a TENS unit sex toy....and I doubt that will do much for his elbow. ...

Don't You Just Love Soft-spoken Dictators Who
Jan 14, 2012

speak very softy whilst dictating but then, without warning.......                     will cough very loudly and quite capably into the mike, rattling your inner core. Thanks, Bub.  I didn't need my tympanic membranes anymore since I am already headed into Oldladyville, and I have my eye on a fashionable rhinestone-studded ear horn.    ...

Any Advice For Dictator Who Is Loud And Soft
Apr 07, 2012

I can't find a happy medium.  It is too loud when he is loud and too soft when he is soft.  It's horrible and hurts and slows me down.  Thanks for any suggestions offered.  UGH.  ...

Give Him Some Soft Water And Peroxide *lavoshes* In The Right Ear. Thanks. Nm
Dec 09, 2009

nm ...

Soft Touch Keyboard For Excessive Typing
Aug 31, 2011

I need some of your opinions on soft touch keyboard for excessive typing.  Anyone have a favorite? ...

Microsoft Used To Make A Soft Touch Keyboard But Stopped...
May 20, 2010

really miss that keyboard, I can't remember its name but they quit making it about 5-6 years ago.  Does ayone know of a comparable one?  Where you barely touch the keys and there is no click?    ...

Osteotomy Of The Metatarsal And Soft Tissue Reconstruction With An ___(s/l Add-a-tor) Release Of The
Mar 18, 2015

Surgery would involve an osteotomy of the metatarsal and soft tissue reconstruction with an ___(s/l add-a-tor) release of the great toe   TIA ...

Specimen Is S/l Receipt S/l Informa And Consists Of 2 Fragments Of Soft Tissue
Oct 24, 2009

Maybe someone can help. The specimen is s/l receipt s/l informa and consists of 2 fragments of soft tissue.  The larger is a gray-white rubbery piece of epidermal tissue with a central yellow to gray slightly hemorrhagic ulcer. ...

Thank You, Opti-Script!
Dec 20, 2010

Nice surprise to receive my Christmas gift.  Although I know times are tough for everyone in our industry right now, it's great to work to work for a company that treats MTs well.  It's scary when I read postings on this board, but it makes me very thankful for the best company I've ever worked for.  They're not perfect but they try really hard.  Merry Christmas to all of you, and I hope 2011 is a good year for all of us who work v ...

Cs.net/voice Script
Nov 22, 2011

Anyone know anything about or used cs.net, voice script? ...

Cs.net, Voice Script
Jan 16, 2012

Can someone tell me what kind of software/platform this is?  TIA ...

Script For Prescription?
Mar 21, 2013

Is it OK to use script instead of prescription when the dictator says script? ...

Chart Script
Mar 03, 2014

Does anyone currently working with Chart Script know if it works using a satellite internet connection?  Thank you!!!  ...

Opti-Script - PT
May 01, 2014

Do part-timers have to work on the weekend?  I know FT, you have to rotate or be scheduled M-Th, T-Fri.  Thanks in advance!  ...

E-Script Platform At TTS
Jun 12, 2014

I have been offered  a position with TTS and wondering about the E-Script platform.  Is it user friendly, hard to learn, can you make any money on it.  This will be 98% VR work but the beginning wage for full-time sounds kind of low at 3.3 c/l.  Also, want to be sure there are plenty of backup accounts if primary is out of work.  ...

Opti-Script What Is Up With That? 
Nov 05, 2014

I see Optiscript is hiring and they havent kept their promise of calling the employees they laid off to come back.      ...