A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

This is from a previous post. But I thought - it would make for great

Posted: Apr 15, 2012

discussion and wanted to bring it to the top where everyone would get a chance to see it. The post stemmed from an ad where they were offering to pay $10 to $11 an hour for MTs. It dawned on me that if they can afford to pay that hourly then they can afford to raise rates. This is the reality of many MTs right now. How many on here do you read about griping over min wage pay? LOTS! The calculations that I make just lays it all out there. I used these figures as an example to show that if they can pay someone $10 to $11 an hour then they CAN CERTAINLY PAY 5 or 6cpl. 1600 x 0.05 = $80 ($10hr per 8hr shift) 1600 x 0.06 = $96 ($12hr per 8hr shift) 1700 x 0.05 = $85 ($10.62 per 8hr shift) 1700 x 0.06 = $102 ($12.75 per 8hr shift) And again I say that many of us can produce more than 1600 to 1700 lines per day, but this is an example and is probably pretty much standard for many. I said all that to say this - Industry rates for Speech recognition NEEDS TO BE RAISED ACROSS THE BOARD for everyone. This ad of offering hourly pay is proof, that they CAN pay us 5 to 6cpl for editing. The posts I made are strictly referencing editing pay, not straight typing. Since editing *IS* the new norm. And having said all this - People PLEASE quit accepting jobs for 3cpl. Thank you.

You made an excellent point - ICManiac

[ In Reply To ..]
To see it in a comparison chart really brings home the point. Good post.

PS - I left 3-4cpl out of the equation, but if anyone - is interested, here they are:

[ In Reply To ..]
These are the rates that I WANT TO SEE GO AWAY:

1600 x 0.03 = $48 ($6hr per 8hr shift)
1600 x 0.04 = $64 ($8hr per 8hr shift)

1700 x 0.03 = $51 ($6.37 hr per 8hr shift)

1700 x 0.04 = $68 ($8.50 hr per 8hr shift)

This needs to change.

you are - so right

[ In Reply To ..]
We should refuse to accept this. The only problem is, and dare I say it? it? Someone will come along behind us and accept that pay.

My company is so concerned for legal reasons that my time sheet looks like I am getting minimum pay. I listen, uh huh, uh huh, do they think I am stupid? It's about them, not me. They don't care if I am making minimum wage. If they paid me more cpl, then they wouldn't have to waste my time showing me how they divide my hours by "industry standard" and WAH LA! It's magic. I am not really making minimum wage, I am making $10. Really? Goodie for me. I be your fool. I don't see that in my paycheck or the hours I sat here looking up words and patients and cc's and editing a urology report to look like a urology report and not a combo neuro-podiatry report!!! Help me!!!!

question from soon-to-be editor. - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
so with the lph given, what would your average straight transcription lph be? Am trying to figure out, if my straight typing is averaging 200 lph, what might my editing production be on a "decent" platform? thank you.

to find out your lines per hour you would - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
Take your total lines for the day and divide them by the hours worked.

For example if you did 1800 lines in an 8hr shift you would do:

1800 divided by 8 = 225 line per hour average.

Is that what you mean?

sorry if I was confusing (ty for answering) - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
I realize it would be a guestimate, but if I only transcribe an average of 200 lph, and move over to editing, how many lines might I average editing an hour?
Info taken from job ads - ICManiac
[ In Reply To ..]
I see a common requirement for VR per hour, which is 250 lph (2000 lines a day). That is an average of $7.50 an hour for pay at 3 cents per line. We all know that MTSOs don't run of out work (cough, cough) so you should factor in some down time to pad your average hourly line count up to offset those times, say maybe 400 lph. I don't hear of a majority of editors saying that is their typical average.

It is no mistake that this figure becomes the hiring trend - 250 lph I mean - as it closely coincides to the level of minimum wage pay required in most of these United States.
I will answer as soon as I get a chance, but gotta - go for now. Will get back on later.
[ In Reply To ..]
real answer - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
If you only transcribe 200 lph, IMO, you are an average-speed MT. This means you realistically will be looking at 50% increase in lines when you move to editing. The really slow MTs usually do better with VR because they are actually able to produce the product faster.

Those of us who transcribe at conversational speed or faster, totally struggle with VR because you can't do it any faster than faster. So our wages generally go down thanks to the pay cut for VR lines.
thank you, that is what I needed to know. - nm
[ In Reply To ..]
xxxx

Pay is a joke! - FrustratedMT/Editor

[ In Reply To ..]
I made a post the other day about this very topic, but it seems to have been deleted.
Basically it comes down to this... speech recognition (it drives me nuts when people call it VR... VR is a security software to verify you are who you say you are... SR recognizes your speech and turns it into text) is a TOOL. It is not meant to replace it. And it should not have caused our pay to be slashed in half!

I'm new to SR, and I know I will get faster with time, but I went from making $32K a year straight transcribing for a clinic to now averaging anywhere from $2.75 an HOUR to just over $7 an HOUR... That is not even minimum wage!

We have GOT to do something... and quick!
It's no wonder these larger corporations that either created SR to begin with or who got their foot in the door early are able to gobble up the smaller companies. If you only pay your employees half their usual pay, and you didn't pay them that well to begin with, you definitely have money in the bank!
I mean, think about it! You purchase a piece of software... even if it costs you $50,000! That is the salary of a couple MT's... but that is a one-time cost! Even if there are license fees, they are making BANK!

So, to answer the original poster's question... YES, they can afford to not only pay us 4 and 5 CPL... they can afford to pay us double that! And not just for straight typing!

Similar Messages:

Thought Ya'll Were Kidding (and/or Exaggerating) About The Previous Reports
Mar 24, 2010

Pulled up an old report to get a heads-up on the physical exam.  The report listed W2 and HK for Wt and Ht (among other errors).  I was dumbfounded.  ...

CORRECTION To Previous Post
Sep 29, 2012

The company I saw an ad for was Administrative "Assistance"  (out of Michigan) - not Administrative "Associates" - my mistake! ...

Posted This Link Below In Another Post But Thought Others
Apr 19, 2014

would be interested also. A panel discussion hosted by Career Step about the MT industry with Shaw as a panelist. ...

I Thought I Saw A Post On Here Recently About MQ No Longer Using Their Own Computers.
Sep 27, 2011

Now I can't find it.  Can anyone help me here?  I wonder what I have to look forward to. ...

Previous Report Look Up
Mar 08, 2010

In spite of everything else, I was determined that THIS was going to be a good thing; however, after E-mails to supervisor to get password and then jumping through about 20 hoops was informed that there were no reports available for this dictator for the last month.  I guess this was his first day on the job? Good grief.  More cr*ap.  ...

How To Look Up Previous Reports On Chartnet?
Nov 09, 2012

Can someone please tell me how to look up previous reports on chartnet?  Thanks! ...

Bad Mouthing Previous Boss
Apr 16, 2013

Just found out that indeed my old boss is stating that I walked out and gave her no notice; which is NOT true... OMG... I'm speechless. ...

*ITS T-nail* From A Previous ORIF Of Hip
Sep 20, 2013

The patient had a previous ORIF with a *ITS T-nail* of the right hip for an intertrochanteric fracture.  I can't verify.  Thanks. ...

Paycheck Less Even Though Transcribed More Lines Than Previous
Nov 10, 2009

It is beyond me how I made less on my pay check, but typed over 1500 more lines than last pay period.   ?  Anyone else notice that?  ...

Previous Report Lookup Is Ridiculous
Mar 07, 2010

Another idea of MQ's that might sound good in theory but in practice this is totally ridiculous. First off, I can't even get any reports to come up....I tried different variations of entering info into the search, only to get nothing back.....so stupid.   Second, do they really think we can do this with how LONG it takes.....first you have to sign out of DQS, then sign back in with a different password to get to DQM?  Get out of here!    I was hoping that maybe ...

After 9 Months Of Unemployment My Previous MTSO (sm)
Mar 19, 2011

has rehired me.  Just wanted to thank everyone for sharing info about the MTSOs they worked for, job leads, etc.  I am praying for all who still need a job. ...

Previous Mergers With Nuance (Webmedx, Etc.)
Apr 19, 2012

MTs who worked previously for companies bought out by Nuance I was wondering did any of you work using satellite internet?  If so, what happened when you Nuance took over as Nuance says no satellite?  I use satellite internet so I'm wondering what will happen with Nuance when they take over Transcend.  Initially, I'm sure I would be able to use it, but if the platform is changed, then what?  I'm just wondering should I find another job now that accepts sat. or ...

The Previous Couple Of Transcend Mergers That I Have Read About On Here... Sm
Nov 23, 2009

Have had me feeling as if some of us who have been at Transcend longer were not offered what they have been offering recently, maybe that is why I have seen so many people leave.  It was 8 cents per line for transcribing and 4 cents for VR.  When you cannot make your 900 dollars every two weeks you are then moved to part time, bennies are taken away and you do not get PTO.  I was feeling pretty devalued, but then I thought maybe later on they may tell the new people some excu ...

Going Solo-concerned About Some Previous Posts Ive Read
Jan 05, 2010

I am working on starting up my own MT business (as you have maybe seen by some of the other posts I have sent) and I have been reading some of the latest posts and have seen discussions about this being a dying business and I have seen many people are getting out of this field and venturing elsewhere.  Up until the  holidays, I was making a great living and I guess with the holidays underway, I am still waiting on work.  I thought that this would have picked up by now but I have n ...

Cardiology Workup S/l Showed No Previous Apices
Aug 08, 2010

s/l showed no previous apices.  ...

Search Previous Dates Like This...if Your Page Only Lets You
Aug 03, 2014

I saw a question the other day asking how to get back farther in the message posts. The board is listed in date order, so what I do if I want to reread, for instance, something from late July, I use the search key above and type in a date the way the dates are shown... 2014-07-23,  then just tap the little search tab! At the bottom of your screen you can scroll through page after page of posts on that day from all the boards. There is good information about Nuance on alot of the boards her ...

New Specs Posted On Fiesa With NO Notification. Previous
Oct 18, 2014

...I suppose because I said the account names. So, here goes, large city account in CT, and small city outside Seattle. Supe is LG on the AB (COM) team. Found these new specs on 10/15 and have no idea what the changes are because we were never even told about them. Heads up, folks! ...

Labor Board Contact On Previous MTSO
Dec 09, 2014

Anyone else hear from a wages & hours investigator from a Labor Board on a well known MTSO?  I do not want to reveal the name, as I think all should worry about this and don't want to tip off the one they are investigating.   ...

Anyone Receive A Reply From The Transcription Doctors Job Post On Their Post For Editscript MTs?
Mar 24, 2010

nm ...

Previous Surgery - Appendectomy With S/l Stem-peed Extraction
Aug 25, 2011

x ...

Orthopedic Surgery, Is It Perineal Post Or Peroneal Post? NM
Feb 10, 2012

xx ...

RE: New Post Replies, Do They All Go To The Bottom Of The Original Post?
Jan 23, 2010

I don't remember that yet when I post lately it goes all the way to the bottom rather than immediately after the original post.  Perhaps I just never noticed it before.  Oh well... ...

Question On Post Vs Status Post
Oct 22, 2009

Sometimes I'm not sure what to do when they say "post" ... something. I know if it is postauricular (for example), it is attached ... but how about post aneurysmal surgery?  It does not seem like it would be attached.  - Is it proper to leave it stand-alone or should I change it to status post ... or actually attach it? Thanks in advance!!  ...

Lid Lag On The Left Side After Previous "drag Utalectomy"
Oct 12, 2011

? ...

I Just Thought Of Something!
Mar 31, 2010

Do you wonder how much the person makes who is sitting there reading all the First Time Right Essays?  Sure would love to know that!  How do I get that job?  I guess I would qualify as I have reading skills.  ...

Wmx - Another Thought On This
Sep 02, 2010

I think this was a very large account and they could have divided the MTs who had this as their primary and put them on various other accounts.  Yes, this would have overstaffed those accounts and more MTs would be getting NJA as we all scrambled for what work there was.  Also, this way WMX would not be putting out unemployement for anyone and soon most of us would not have benefits because we couldn't keep our line counts up with NJA all the time.  All in all, looks like the ...

HEY... I JUST THOUGHT OF SOMETHING
Oct 26, 2010

What the heck happened to that 6.1 upgrade drawing with the TV and all????? Did anyone ask support or their CCM? ...

Just Thought I'd Ask..
Mar 28, 2011

I'm just wondering what is with companies not calling you after you have passed a test and said they will? I don't understand it. Yes,  I realize that they may have several people, but is it too much to ask for a phone call to do an interview or something? I am looking for a job and when I do pass tests and get excited that I actually did and no one contacts me like they said they would, it really bothers me. ...

I Thought I Was The Only One
May 13, 2011

I just realized that no one cares about the quality of medical records anymore.  I have had to go to VR and I am now making anywhere between 4 and 12 dollars/hour.  I guess people care more about the quality of their hamburgers than they do peoples' healthcare. I have started to just send them through.  I don't even really listen to the work.  I look at it and change any major spelling errors, but other than that, what the VR says is what they get.  The fu ...

Just Had A Thought...
Mar 17, 2012

Could it be that the MModal and Nuance are buying all of these smaller, better MTSOs because they want to limit our employment options?  If MModal (the Q) and Nuance are the monopolizing companies, and an MT who works for them just had all she/he could take, where could she/he go?   Just a thought....   ...