A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

I thought I was the only one - who did not care.

Posted: May 13, 2011

I just realized that no one cares about the quality of medical records anymore.  I have had to go to VR and I am now making anywhere between 4 and 12 dollars/hour.  I guess people care more about the quality of their hamburgers than they do peoples' healthcare. I have started to just send them through.  I don't even really listen to the work.  I look at it and change any major spelling errors, but other than that, what the VR says is what they get.  The funny part is that I have not even been called on it.  No one is looking.  I guess that they are going to get what they pay for.  The sad part is that if they left well enough alone, people could get accurate documents, but big companies and VR are taking over and the healthcare system would rather pay people to send me 10,000 emails about new specs, etc. than to pay good hard working transcriptionists to do a good job.  The funny part is I do not even open the emails.  No one is paying me to spend time to read them, so I am not going to.

You are a disgrace to MTs/Editors everywhere. - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
You are dealing with a patient's medical information. If you are unhappy with your employer or VR, that is no excuse for your actions. Leave the industry and get a job elsewhere.

You stated, "I have started to just send them through. I don't even really listen to the work. I look at it and change any major spelling errors, but other than that, what the VR says is what they get."

VR will never be perfect and it takes our skills to correct medical ERRORS.

How would you feel if someone was editing YOUR medical record and just let the report "go through" without "really listening" to the dictation.

I pray you are not editing the reports of one of my family members.

re: disgrace - imo

[ In Reply To ..]
Please! It's like the Cyrano de Bergerac story! We are Cyrano and the MTSO's are the handsome lover speaking the lovely words!

Do you realize that when the doctors, clinics, hospitals get their reports that they are picture perfect because of our EDITING? NOT because the "machine" is working, but because we are working and being paid pennies a day to mask over what a horrible, horrible system it really is?!!

I absolutely understand and relate to the way the OP feels! No, I don't do it, but I sure have thought about it.

As long as we are willing to be the door mat, this industry is going to keep stepping on us.

VR/ ASR was a horrible, ill-convieved notion and I cannot see how it is ever, ever, ever going to be a flawless system. We will always be needed, but what I would love to see change is that the MTSO's give full disclosure and explain to their clients the WHOLE process of them getting their beautifully error-free reports.

I went to my orthopedist not too long ago and he was dictating while in the exam room (yeah... what a jerk). I told him that I transcribed and he told me that I "should find a different line of work because this new system is taking over". OMG!!!! I took the opportunity to enlighten him.

Initially he didn't believe me. He called his PA in and told him what I had explained. I told him if they didn't believe it they should ask their providers! I hope that teeny weeny bug in the ear eventually makes its way around their office so at least they will have a minute appreciation for the MT.

Pipe dream I realize, but nonetheless, I put the bug there.

So yeah, it's sad that she feels compelled to do so, but you cannot honestly say that you haven't wanted to do the same once in a blue moon...

Heaven forbid you make a drastic change on a "verbatim" account though. Were darned if we do and darned if we don't. We are nothing in the scheme of things. We have become a dime a dozen. sad sad sad...

re: IMO - me too

[ In Reply To ..]
You are soooo right! We've all thought about it. I think I'll tell my doc all about it next time I have an appointment. At least he'll have an understanding about the process!
I agree with the OP - LTDN
[ In Reply To ..]
Do I do what she does? No. Have I thought about it? You're GD right I have. I get the same emails she does too, trying to make us better at this editing business. It's a joke. I do NOT have time to sit and sort through emails trying to perfect a system that is far from being perfected. They implemented the VR before they should have. Plain and simple. They needed to implement it and then let it go for about 6 months while still paying us the same amount. Let's face it, it takes most of us the same amount of time or more to edit than it did to type. They weren't willing to let the majority of the glitches get worked out and we're the ones suffering in the end. I know, I know, some of you are making more. But the general consensus is, if you're making more, you must not have been a lightning fast typist like I was. It's hurting me, because I was an excellent typist/transcriptionist, more than 20 years at it. Again, do I send reports without editing? Absolutely not. My initials are on there and I take pride in my work, no matter if it's for more than a half cut in pay or not. However, if you think I haven't thought about it, you'd be dead wrong.

Oh, geez.... get a grip. Look at all the errors the - doctors make every single day.

[ In Reply To ..]
If they'd take the time to dictate more clearly, there would hardly be any errors at all. If we didn't have to fly through reports like mad in order to make minimum wage, there would be more time for proofing & double-checking. And the final signature and okay of the report is done by the doctor. So the ball is back in his court, again.

If you don't read your e-mails, you may find out you've been - fired only when you cannot sign on, so your

[ In Reply To ..]
would probably be smart to copy any documents, etc., you want to keep from the company site as soon as possible.

Also, people fired for cause don't get unemployment insurance, and the next employer will be calling this one to inquire about the circumstances of your departure--hopefully saving you from any opportunity for further self-abuse in this industry.

BTW, there's now the remote chance that you'll pave new ground by being one of the first MTs sued and/or prosecuted for negligence leading to patient injury. Unfortunate for your current dangerous-to-self and dangerous-to-others mood, but fortunate for everyone else, it's not even close to true that no one cares about quality.

VR - OP

[ In Reply To ..]
I am pretty sure that no MD has to sign off on any report before reading it. If they are counting on someone who makes 5 bucks an hour to ensure proper medical care, that might be the problem. As far as being sued or prosecuted, go ahead and sue me, I make 5 bucks an hour and you can't get blood from a stone. I have been in this buisness for 20 years and used to make a good living, comensurate with the quality of my work. I am only going to work for as much as I am getting paid. One of the problems in this industry is that people are willing to work for nothing.

I agree to some extent about getting what you pay for, sm - jmn

[ In Reply To ..]
but some of the jobs I have had to edit were just filled with all kinds of off the wall stuff. Words that were never said and omission of words at times. There is no telling what you are sending through. Since my initials on the report, I would never send something over and intentially embarrass myself that way. Putting aside any anger that I may have for my decreased wages, my pride for my work just simply would not allow that!!!!

That works for me...... - LOL

[ In Reply To ..]

What a Waste of Space - stubby

[ In Reply To ..]
You are the lowest form of humanity. How dare you accept (by continuing to be employed) the wage given and then determine that you are some how "above" that wage and therefore don't have to provide more that YOU determine to be enough! What a self-inflated ego you have. You are no more important than the doctors who, after managed care, no longer set a price and get paid; they have to work many more hours and see many more patients to make the same living their or even a portion that their predecessors made and they have many more regulations, paperwork, etc. You have accepted a job at a certain wage; the employer determines what that wage pays for; you get to decide if you are willing to do that job for that amount of money - you don't get to decide how much of that job you are willing to do. The expectations are laid out beforehand; if you think the wage is too low for your skill set, find another job. Maybe the cook who makes $7 an hour should use his wage to determine how much quality you and your family are ENTITLED to for that wage - clean utensils, safe food handling, all optional based on your logic. Maybe the guy working in a dairy for $8 an hour and knows milk is $4/gallon decides that when he has to pee, he'll just do in the vat where he's working - what do they expect for that piddly $8/hr when they are getting half that for one gallon of milk and he is processing thousands of gallons in an hour - why does he care, he doesn't drink milk! You need to get over yourself - you are not that important in the overall scheme of things - do the job you're being paid to do.

Very well said! Agree, there are regular transcription jobs still out there to prevent this from ha - jmn

[ In Reply To ..]

I wish I knew where all of them were - SM

[ In Reply To ..]
The ones that do or have done straight transcription are no longer in existence or have been swindled into VR including the company I sub with. It's only a matter of time before they go under.

I hope that a patient is not mistreated or wrongly - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
diagnosed because you are not doing your job. If you don't like the job, find another, but don't endanger a patient's life because you just don't care.

I understand your frustration - Just escaped VR

[ In Reply To ..]
HOWEVER, the majority of the posters are right. If you went to the grocery store and paid $3.00 on sale for a whole chicken that was normally $8.00, would you expect to come home and cook a rotten chicken?

There are jobs out there that don't do VR. My hospital signed on with DQS VR and quit it after only a year - it was just costing them too much. So, I was able to escape it. And like you, I absolutely loathed it. But please, try to remember - that patient you're typing is someone's child, grandmother, father, etc. Put yourself in their shoes.

My grandmother went to visit family in Wisconsin shortly before her death. She had to have a lengthy hospital stay there, and upon her return, I obtained her medical records and I was mortified at how little the transcriptionists either cared or knew about what they were doing. There were wrong medication dosages, words completely out of context, etc. There is no excuse in it, whether you're being paid $4 or $25 an hour.

My daddy always used to tell me he didn't care what I chose to do with my life. If I chose to be a ditch digger, he'd be as proud as he ever was, as long as I strove to be the best ditch digger possible. If they drop your pay to $2 an hour, you should still do the absolute best you can as a medical transcriptionist. It's a matter of pride in your work, which sadly, most people don't even know the meaning of anymore.

Agree with OP - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
While this isn't something I could ever bring myself to do, I certainly sympathize with the OP's situation. Many of us are now struggling to make minimum wage doing a highly repetitive, mind-numbing job that wreaks havoc on the human psyche. The cries about patient care are both misguided and hypocritical.

Misguided because the ultimate responsibility in patient care falls with those directly involved with the patients, not the lowly MT. If the doctor caring for a patient is negligent in his/her dictation and fails to verify that the report is accurate, any resultant harm that befalls the patient is his/her responsibility alone. The MT has a responsibility to his/her employer to make an effort at producing an accurate report, but that doesn't absolve the doctors of their responsibility to verify that the information is correct. The oft-repeated claim that patients will die and it will be your fault is simply a tool used to instill fear and keep the worker bees in their place. There are countless ways to improve the quality of reports, from better sound systems to more selective use of VR technology, but that means reduced profits and hence they will never be implemented.

Hypocritical because the value of the MT as a human being in this picture goes unconsidered or is deemed as somehow inferior to the value of all others involved. How would I feel if it were my medical records at stake? I don't know, because my employer refuses to pay me enough to be able to afford healthcare, but if I had the luxury of being able to see a doctor, I'd assume he or she would be looking out for my interests and making sure my reports were accurate. If I learned that my reports were being typed by people making less than a Wal-Mart employee here in the US and pennies over in India, not only would I have no expectation that the information be accurate, I'd be outraged at my doctor's complicity in such an injustice. The claim that the MT is somehow being selfish in this matter is simply absurd. Those who own these companies are making obscene profits off the backs of their MTs and leaving them a pittance, and yet the assumption seems to be that if the MT won't work for slave wages or live in the street, he/she is a scumbag. How can one claim to have compassion for patients while treating one's fellow workers with such contempt?

This visceral reaction to what the OP has admitted to reveals a deep-seated self-hatred among those who do this type of work. Many of you recognize that the doctors don't care, the employers don't care, the patients are in the dark, and so, rather than challenge a broken system, you take on the burden of all that responsibility for yourselves, justify the behavior of those higher up or simply accept it as the way things should be, lash out at anyone who dares stand up for his/her dignity. The fact is, nobody willingly chooses to work for a wage that can't guarantee survival, to say nothing of happiness. When such a job and death are increasingly the only options available, the problem lies with the type of society we have created, not the victims of it. The treatment of workers at the lower rungs both here and abroad is immoral, and I applaud anyone who fights against this type of exploitation, including the OP, as change cannot be effected by any other means.

"...reveals a deep-seated self-hatred..." in us? SM, you - could not be more off base.

[ In Reply To ..]
It's pride in self, concern for others, and integrity to principles that you are not understanding. Adversity does not create bad character, it merely fosters what is already there.

That is correct - sm

[ In Reply To ..]

Pride? Those who allow their time and hard labor to be exploited by the wealthy who care nothing for them have nothing to be prideful about; it is their passive acceptance of such conditions that opens the way to further exploitation of themselves and others. Concern for whom? Certainly not one's co-workers who are struggling to survive. Your assumption that anyone who protests his/her exploitation is inherently of "bad character" belies any compassion you claim to have. The unquestioning acceptance of adversity is a result of self-hatred, a deference to power, a belief that one has an obligation to endure these externally imposed hardships. Professed pride and moral superiority may keep you sane in the face of such abuse, but they only mask the fear and lack of self-worth that underlie the situation.

Bravo - FL MT

[ In Reply To ..]
When and if I can afford to see my doctor, I always check my own records, as some is all VR without even correction with MLS. For instance, radiology reports seem to have a lot of hospitals relying on just doctors correcting their reports. To make a long story short, I once picked up x-rays to have read by another radiologist that I trusted and he said "When did you have open heart surgery" and he showed me the film with my name on it and the hardware in my chest that does not exist!!! I always check my records, as well as your family member̢۪s records.

You're right about the self-hatred - I feel it every - single day in this nightmare profession.

[ In Reply To ..]
I hate that I chose it - that I was too lazy to spend the extra years in school it would've taken to become a court reporter.

I hate that I wanted to work from home, left a good onsite job to do so, and was gullible enough to believe that I could make a living being paid only pennies per line.

I hate that I've been looking for a better MT job for better than 2 years now, and can only find jobs that are the same as mine, or worse.

I hate that I'm realistic enough to know that there comes a point in life when going back to school isn't going to make a difference anymore, and for me that time has come.

I hate that I get so frustrated and depressed trying to work with all the stumbling blocks my company throws in our paths, continually slowing us down and making our job harder, and resulting in less pay, that I have trouble concentrating anymore. Thus compounding the problem.

I hate how small my life has become on an MT's income. The only time I get to go anywhere is my twice-monthly trip to the discount supermarket after payday.

I hate how I'm letting my health go to h=ll because I spend most of my waking hours sitting at this *%+5# computer, waiting for work to come in, or wrestling with our joke of a transcription program, or looking up demographics the docs could have easily dictated, instead of leaving them out. I hate how I have to bypass buying healthy food in order to buy cheaper food. I hate how I have to cut my pills in half to stretch out my medications, because our crappy insurance doesn't have them in their formulary. (One of the pills I'm cutting in half is my antidepressant... not hard to tell, is it!?)

I hate how I constantly have to turn down friends' invitations to do things in town, because I just don't have the money. Some know why I can't, others think I'm just unsociable.

I hate how I let these con-artist MTSOs paint me into a corner financially, physically and emotionally, to where now there is really no realistically viable way out. I hate how I squandered my "golden years" by not having enough for retirement, healthcare, housing, etc. in the future, by staying with MT for decades. I should have gotten out 20 years ago.

I couldn't have said it better myself. - too little too late

[ In Reply To ..]
x

I do still care about quality, but so very tired - of working harder and

[ In Reply To ..]
smarter while ASR gets worse, the doctors are so much worse than in years past, and all the while making less than I did 10-15 years ago. I get the Social Security summary of my working years, and there is it plain as day -- I make what I did back in 1991?

VR can't get better with the likes of the original poster - stubby

[ In Reply To ..]
Because as the VR technology evolves, it "depends" on the MT to correct the errors before sending it back so that it can "learn" the right way, which will improve the quality of the VR documents and EVENTUALLY hopefully create a system that will allow us to not have to spend as much time editing - according to the original poster we can all thank her and the others like her that figure it's too much trouble and she's worth more, so she just sends it through, thus creating more work for the rest of us who are making the same wage for VR work that she is - the difference is we are now having to work harder for it. Let's face it - times have changed. As I said earlier - everyone is having to work harder for the same dollar - doctors, nurses, secretaries, restaurant managers, waitresses - lots of industries are facing the need to adapt to a fluid economy. It is what it is - sitting here whimpering about how hard we have it doesn't change it - and certainly refusing to do the job your are being paid to do is not the way to change it. Let's face it - we have it pretty good in a lot of ways - we don't have to fight traffic every day to and from work, we don't have to spend a tank of gas a week getting to work, we don't have to drive in bad weather to get to and from work or wait at a bus stop, etc. We don't have to buy uniforms, work clothes, business suits, business casual. We don't have to spend an hour getting ready to go to work. Yeah it ain't all rainbows, but it ain't all bad. As I said, those waitress, cooks, dairy workers, etc., they all have those additional headaches as listed above, yet still do it for the piddly wage - not of all of them are good at their jobs (or even try to be for that matter), and you can bet we let them know when their not. We are not immune, more important or less important than any of them. The truth is that if you accept a wage and know the expectations of that wage before you start or continue to work after you find out, then if you refuse to do the job as outlined, anything you are being paid is too much - none of us what to pay for something that we are not getting. At the end of the day, it is as other posters here have said - it is about integrity, principle, self respect. We are not the WHEEL, we are COGS in the wheel - part of an intricate system that depends all parts working simultaneously and well - we must do our part just as the others should do theirs, but we as individuals are responsible for our own behavior and behaving badly doesn't help our cause - as my mother used to say - "two wrongs don't make a right".

VR only learns the voice of person speaking to it. The dictionary can - have new words added to it, but

[ In Reply To ..]
on the VR end, it is not going to decipher that you changed one word from another whenever it is listening to a physician. It will only type what it thinks it hears. When are you guys going to get a clue about VR. VR=voice recognition. They might be able to program a system and new words so that the system can search for those words when spoken, but come on, once it reaches you, the VR has nothing to do with it. It is no longer listening to a voice. It's that simple. I wish you people would realize that VR is not learning what you have corrected. It is no longer in the document listening to the transcriptionist when you are in there typing. The VR learns from the dictator. I cannot believe how many people think that after they correct something, it is going to teach the VR. You can correct it 100 times, but that doesn't mean it will figure it out, not until it learns the physician. The physician needs to lean how to speak to the VR to get a clear copy of what he is saying. This is just something you have chosen to believe I guess because it somehow gives you some kind of hope about VR!!!
You are Misinformed - stubby
[ In Reply To ..]
What you are speaking of is true when the technology first started; the new technology is "front-end and back-end" which means that when you submit the note back, the VR system notes the changes specific to that dictator and makes adjustments based on our corrections - not based on the fact that the dictator starts dictating any differently and so it is a constantly evolving system. It is not going to correct it after one submission, but looks for the pattern of corrections/changes and then makes the change to its "template". That is the truth of the technology. The better we are on our end, the better it will be on its end. Don't get me wrong - I'd much rather be typing all day long than have to edit one job, but that is not the reality of this industry any longer; it was great while it lasted.
front-end=physician interacts with VR back-end=physicain can dictate from anywhere and - then it is added to the VR
[ In Reply To ..]
The physician doesn't even have to know it is VR. Front-end/back-end,it all still relates to the physician not the transcriptionist. They are working on trying to elminate some of the ummms and ahhs that VR may pick up, but really, you actually think that is what front-end/back-end means??? You really should do some research on VR, perhaps that would better enlighten you!!!! We could all be great, but as stated previously, that is not going to teach the VR, the physician is the one who does that.
It all boils down to this: If the physician is using front-end VR, he himself - can correct his report, if
[ In Reply To ..]
using back-end VR, then the transcriptionist has to correct the report, and the compensation for doing so should not change as some of those physicians do not even know they are using voice recognition. The compensation to the MT should equal the amount of work being done and as stated on this board over and over again, the workload is not being made easier for the for the MT by using VR to justify the small amount of pay some of these companies are willing to give.
But that is what we were told. There was supposed - to be a re-listen on the back end
[ In Reply To ..]
and if we corrected properly, it was supposed to LEARN.
That's what I was told too - Shirl
[ In Reply To ..]
I don't know how many sleep studies I've edited now where it says - Axis assessment: instead of Axis A:

Any time the doc talks about someone coming in for a follow-up exam or similar, if there's exam anywhere in the sentence, it puts in PHYSICAL EXAMINATION:

One today was pretty much like this:

blah blah blah blah

PHYSICAL EXAMINATION:

blah blah blah blah blah.

PHYSICAL EXAMINATION: Blah blah.

PHYSICAL EXAMINATION: The. Patient will. Return. in 4 to. 6 weeks for repeat.

PHYSICAL EXAMINATION: as patient psychosis is allergic to insomnia.

And they have to nerve to say we'll do twice as many lines in a day? HA!
Putting it back through on the back end would be less money for the time - spent on it
[ In Reply To ..]
I cannot imagine that any company would want to take the time to make this happen. It would be 3 times the effort, first the doctor goes through VR, then editing gets a hold of it, and then they put through VR again. It going through VR a third time, I would think it would be retyping the job all over again, after all that is what VR does, it types what it hears. I know on Dragon VR, you have to repeatedly say the word until the VR gets the word correct and that is how you train it with your voice and the way you speak, so this putting a completed document through VR on the back-end makes no sense to me.

I can't even believe this is real - Bettie_Bgood

[ In Reply To ..]
Sounds too unbelievable - maybe an MTSO is fishing around, expecting us MTs to chime in...oh, we all do the same thing?

Wrong...I can't even believe this is true...I have NEVER known an MT to willingly blow off reports...people are mad BECAUSE they are NOT just blowing off the work they do...they are producing QUALITY documents as they were HIRED to do...and getting the low pay!!!!

Sorry, I'm "not a believer."

I cannot believe that stubby thinks the edited VR is being sent back - through the VR after the corrections

[ In Reply To ..]
have been made. What has that person been told? Talk about pulling the wool over someone's eyes.

RE: I cannot believe that stubby thinks the edited VR is being sent back - through the VR after the - stubby

[ In Reply To ..]
No one has pulled the wool over my eyes; I have done a lot of research on this technology and am very aware of how it works. You and the other poster who stated the "voice" engine is not "listening" to our changes are correct; however, the "brain" of the system that supports VR is tracking our corrections and making changes that specifically correlate with our corrections; again, it seeks the pattern in the changes/corrections and then finally "realizes" that after the same thing has been changed xx number of times (every platform/system has their own set of numbers) for the same dictator, it then "corrects" it for that dictator. I am not a supporter of VR, but I do think it is important to understand how it works (or doesn't as the case may be); as I said before, like it or not, it is here and if we choose to stay employed in this field, it is a necessary evil. The whole thing that started this topic is that the original poster feels she doesn't get paid enough to "edit" and therefore doesn't; I reiterate my point that if she accepted the position knowing what the job paid and chooses not to do what she has been hired to do, then she is being overpaid - period. She has options; to choose to do a job poorly shouldn't be a choice and, thankfully, for most us it isn't.

what I can't believe - noni

[ In Reply To ..]
is that MTs actually believe they have patients' lives in their hands. Talk about delusions of grandeur.

Noni, these reports are read repeatedly by busy people - as they make patient care decisions. Of course a

[ In Reply To ..]
inserted by one of us, or a physician's mistake we might have caught, could result in injury or death to a patient. It DOES happen.

Plus, we know many of them are not functioning as well as required, either, whether sloppy, exhausted, stupid, in a tearing hurry, whatever. Many mistakes are made because they miss or misunderstand information in these reports. We have a moral duty to make the information dictated as clear and accessible as possible within the scope of our work. That's something I never forget, not never think of.

Your attitude is every bit as scary as the original poster's.

I'm with you, Do-Not-Care! When they pay us - less and less, and keep giving - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
us more busy-work to do with all the emails, IMs, demographics, countless spec changes, and so-called "software upgrades", I don't have time to read much of it anymore, let alone proofread. So, I just don't bother anymore. (And my QA is still over 98%).

This is the OP... - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
All the responses to my post are interesting. I love the people who stand on their moral highground and feel that they are the be all and end all of patient care. Guess what...you're not. If you were, you would be treated with the respect (and pay scale) that comes along with that. What we really have become is subhuman in the eyes of the healthcare system. We are given the scraps that the VR can't get right or the garbage even a computer won't deal with and then we are paid what amounts to below minimum wage. I really hope someday that transcription returns to something I can be pround of, but at this point, as I said before, as long as they don't care, I don't care. All those who said patient care suffers, I agree with you, but it is not my problem, and this was not the job I was hired for, it was one that was handed to me when my healthcare system went to VR. The transcriptionists who happily continue to work for less and less are just as much the problem as the MTSOs, hospital systems, etc. I really don't have any answers, but I also have a family to feed, so I am going make as many lines an hour as I can and if that means not pouring over every dictation as though my life depended on it, so be it. The MD signs the report and is ultimately responsible, not me.

I have been starting to think that this has been allowed to happen to us because this field is predominantly women and we are just not as valued in the working world. I don't know, just a thought. I wonder if transcription was mostly men what the outcome would be.

go ahead and flame me again, but - mt

[ In Reply To ..]
I have said this repeatedly on here - I make more money with VR. Period. I have learned every available keyboard shortcut (on 2 different platforms now) and edit almost twice as fast as I transcribe. And before you jump to the conclusion that I must be a slow transcriptionist, I am not - I have made an excellent living at this both part time (3 years) and then full time (3 years) at home and, before that, for 25+ years on site. I listen to every single word and my quality is always above 99%.

Speech recognition has actually been around for almost 25 years now - it just recently made the big time for large MTSOs in the past 5 years or so. It is here to stay, and skilled editors will be needed for it for a long time to come. I am fine with being one of them.

Are you serious? - not a flame

[ In Reply To ..]
I'm single mom, mouths to feed, no money coming in other than what my fingers generate. I am REALLY freaking about all work's accounts switching to VR. Typing, I'm hitting about 25-27/hour. There is NO way in the world I can make it on less than that without some public assistance. My limited experience - about 3 weeks - with VR thus far has been, at most, 1/2 of my current hourly pay.

I would love to hear success stories, how long it took you to reach your level of pay, and get more of an idea of what that is. I have no idea what I'm working with here (other than at least 1/2 of my current income according to most posts).

Feel free to email me: david_poe91@hotmail.com

Shame on YOU! - H8 Voice Wreck 2

[ In Reply To ..]
How in the world do you get away with it? You must realize this is only a temporary job for you because your accuracy has to be 98% or better or you'll get canned, or you must have some great dictators. Certainly not the nightmare ones that I or thousands others must have. Takes me more time to correct than if I were to type it the "old fashioned" way. I still am holding on to my other job that does traditional transcription but is low on work and we had to take a rate cut, but I only supplement that with the wreck job. How is it that you still even have a job? A friend of mine works for a company that fired over 60% of their MTs because they were doing the exact same thing that you are doing now - and that's wrong. I don't know how long that went on, but eventually stuff like this catches up. If you hate what you're doing, do something else or even find another company that still does straight transcription (I know it's like looking for a needle in a haystack anymore), but this is just wrong and you will be terminated. Have fun looking for another job even in today's MT market.

Not caring - an

[ In Reply To ..]
Oh honey. Get out now. You have to be burned out. As someone who has had cancer, my medical records are extremely important to me. At least have the courtesy of leaving the MT business before you really hurt someone.

Similar Messages:

I Just Thought Of Something!
Mar 31, 2010

Do you wonder how much the person makes who is sitting there reading all the First Time Right Essays?  Sure would love to know that!  How do I get that job?  I guess I would qualify as I have reading skills.  ...

Wmx - Another Thought On This
Sep 02, 2010

I think this was a very large account and they could have divided the MTs who had this as their primary and put them on various other accounts.  Yes, this would have overstaffed those accounts and more MTs would be getting NJA as we all scrambled for what work there was.  Also, this way WMX would not be putting out unemployement for anyone and soon most of us would not have benefits because we couldn't keep our line counts up with NJA all the time.  All in all, looks like the ...

HEY... I JUST THOUGHT OF SOMETHING
Oct 26, 2010

What the heck happened to that 6.1 upgrade drawing with the TV and all????? Did anyone ask support or their CCM? ...

Just Thought I'd Ask..
Mar 28, 2011

I'm just wondering what is with companies not calling you after you have passed a test and said they will? I don't understand it. Yes,  I realize that they may have several people, but is it too much to ask for a phone call to do an interview or something? I am looking for a job and when I do pass tests and get excited that I actually did and no one contacts me like they said they would, it really bothers me. ...

Just Had A Thought...
Mar 17, 2012

Could it be that the MModal and Nuance are buying all of these smaller, better MTSOs because they want to limit our employment options?  If MModal (the Q) and Nuance are the monopolizing companies, and an MT who works for them just had all she/he could take, where could she/he go?   Just a thought....   ...

Thought Everybody Would Like To See This
May 01, 2012

This phrase was added at the end of an advertisement for employment.  Obviously it was in-house, but found it.... well.... rude, I guess.  Although I understand their position and their experiences, to include something like this in an advertisement would certainly send me running elsewhere.  Any opinions???   one last comment, and from prior experiences we have to make this statement: if you have had mutiple jobs a year, have gaps in time in your resume without explana ...

Just Thought I Would Let You All Know...
Oct 22, 2012

that Alliance Medical Transcription in Houston TX is hiring for acute care account with a large teaching hospital with mostly VR but some straight typing and mostly OP notes.  Good luck to those who apply. just passing this on because I have very little experience with OP notes and this was not a good fit for me.  No "ulterior motives" for me.  Just trying to help those in need.  ...

I Just Had A Thought!!!
Nov 15, 2012

What if we asked for stocks in the company as a benefit?  I know Wal-Mart does this for their employees, because my SIL, who has worked for Wal-Mart for a long time, drew from her stock and traveled a distance and paid for a  birthday party for her 3-year-old grandson and went shopping at our local mall and bought herself a wonderful new set of pots and pans (that new kind that is green and made out of ceramic) and just lived it up more than she could have done otherwise.  Si ...

Just A Thought Here...but...
Apr 11, 2013

Have you all ever thought of letting your own doctor/s know that you will no longer have a physician who sends his or her work to a company to be done overseas and that you will now demand that your medical records be done in the US or you will seek medical attention elsewhere?  Maybe start making a lot of noise on the doctor/hospital level? Just a thought. ...

An ASR Thought
Oct 20, 2013

I am making stupid, idiotic mistakes that I never made before. Yes I know I am older than when I started this mess of a job. But, I think with this ASR garbage, first being so wrong all the time, then trying to remember what keystrokes to use, blah blah it actually kind of puts you in a "trance." Its like you see but you don't see. Does that make sense or maybe I am just going insane? ...

Thought It Was
Feb 25, 2014

Uploaded, now stuck downloading ...

Just A Thought.
Mar 17, 2014

As my husband pointed out (he sees how stressed I get) our local grocery store employs people with mental and physical disabiltiies as grocery baggers and they get paid more than I do with less hassle, better benefits and more time off.  Not saying everyone should work in a grocery store but it is something to think about when you are getting grief for maybe being 1 point off on a BP supposedly putting a patient's life at risk or getting a major error for not including "include" w ...

Here's A Thought
Oct 06, 2014

If it impacted the physicians being able to dicate, would be having all these problems? ...

Just A Thought
Jan 18, 2015

what will happen when the doctors start using templates and no longer have us to edit their reports.  at some point they still have to dictate text, right.  or will they be using templates for everything and just pulling information from the EHR. just curious how that is going to be with doctors completely being left on their own and accountable for their own records... for example, take the worst dictator you have and try to imagine them seeing their reports without any of the editin ...

A Thought About MOT
May 13, 2015

Wouldn't it be nice if they increased our PTO accrual since worling all the MOT?  Oh, I can dream can't I? ...

Wanna Know Who Thought Up VBC?
Feb 16, 2010

Something smacks of anti-trust here. Excerpt: It’s been a little more than two years since the AHIMA and the Medical Transcription Industry Association (MTIA) recommended the visual black character (VBC) method be used as the standard unit of measure for medical transcription. Based on research from the Joint Task Force on Standards Development, the announcement came in the form of a white paper that made quite a splash. Defining a VBC as a “character that can be seen with the nake ...

I Thought The Cold War Was Over...
Feb 17, 2010

Dictated:  No bruising, petechiae or rashing. VR:  No bruising, petechiae or Russians. ...

Please Help.....I Thought We Were Supposed To Be
May 04, 2010

able to choose 3 specialty books to search from on Benchmark?  When I go there and try to choose I am unable to do so, doesn't let you.  Has anyone actually been able to choose these 3 books.  CCM says I should be able to, but I've tried numerous times.  ...

Wow! Just Thought Of How CBAY
Jul 29, 2010

CBAY could get rid of a lot of board of directors.  Does CBAY have any idea how much money it could save them?  In fact, why we are at it, get rid of the United States board of directors and bring in their own India board of directors.  They could probably pay their suits half or even less than it would cost for United States board of directors.  Plus!  Would not have to pay incentives, benefits, bonuses, gas for their cars, credit expenses for lunches and golfing, e ...

I Thought This 6.1 Could Differentiate
Sep 08, 2010

For instance, q.h.s. versus nightly.  Was I dreaming during that part of the training? ...

Thought I Saw On Here Somewhere - The Q Does Not Pay For Downtime??
Feb 06, 2011

Wanting to "approve" my timesheet and leader (whatever the initials are) has not put me in for it  or whatever the process is???? ...

Wow, What A Disappointment I Have Had. I Thought That I Had (sm)
May 27, 2011

found a really decent company to work for as an IC only to finally receive the "offer" this morning.  It is .06 CPL and .03 for VR and that is with 25 years experience.  Again, this is as an IC!  Sickening, just sickening.  And the search continues .... ...

Sorry, Have To Share. Thought I Had Seen Everything.
Feb 28, 2012

ASR:  CAT of Eric vein  Dictated:  Cadaveric vein.  ...

Random Thought
Jun 29, 2012

I do both medical and general transcription. I know there is much discussion about MTs standing a bit above GTs in the Invisible Hierarchy of Transcription because of the responsibility involved and amount of training required. I get that. I also know that general transcription is hard work and requires a lot of knowledge about a lot of things in order to do it well. What I JUST got, though, is the fact that a good general transcriptionist (one who can think and knows how to research unfamiliar ...

A Disgusting Thought!!
Jun 29, 2012

You know how we supposedly don't get paid something or other about the headers being the mandatory headers on the left side of the document in DocQScribe?  Now that they are putting already typed standards over there on the side do for the physical exam and review of systems do we not get paid for that?  I notice they have the little || signs when you pull them in.  I have a sickening feeling this means we are not going to be getting paid to do the PE and ROS anymore.  C ...

I Thought When They Retrofit
Jul 16, 2012

that all accounts were supposed to be roughly the same.  It's right back to where it was with a bijillion CPs. ...

Scary Thought...
Oct 03, 2012

First, VR was going to replace us.  When that didn't work, now we -- American MTs -- are fine-tuning VR so the Indian MTs can replace us.  And to make sure this happens, MTSOs are paying us unfair, unlivable wages to force us out, thus forcing clients to accept what they get from the Indian MTs because there won't be enough qualified American MTs left. I know this really isn't news, but I thought I'd share anyway. ...

A Thought On Outsourcing
Dec 08, 2012

Just a thought...if they are going to outsource our US jobs to India, then give THEM the ESL dictators from India!!  I don't care for them. ...

Hmmm, Just Had A Thought.
Feb 26, 2013

you pulled up a blank Word document while you were in Fluency and just typed nonsense letters while the voice file was running?  Or while it is not running?  If you have two computers, could you do that on your working computer while you did research on the other?  Just how would this mess with their production emails we get?   LOL.  This brings a whole other deminsion to transcription.  How can we mess with their numbers like they messed with ours? ...

Had A Thought Today
Jun 28, 2013

As I was working this afternoon I got to thinking about somethings...first and foremost is the state of our profession.  We are are paid mere pennies to transform physician "gobbeldygook" into a written document.  We are expected to adhere to strict schedules, make NO mistakes! And produce high volume.  Our benefits are a joke when we can afford them.  If there is no work, we do not get paid yet are reqired to hang around waiting for it for free.  Most of us have not had ...