A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

orthopedic surgery, is it perineal post or peroneal post? NM - OrthoOP

Posted: Feb 10, 2012

xx

definition, - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
Perineal relates to the pelvic floor. It is the region between the pubic arch and anus.

perineal fistula
perineal hernia
perineal reconstruction
perineal sling

Peroneal relates to fibula or outer part of the leg.

peroneal muscles
peroneal nerve block

or, easy way to remember - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
perINeal (IN) INtroitus

perOneal (O) Orthopedic

perineal post - anne

[ In Reply To ..]
for hip arthroscopy, you can google it and see pictures of it. It is also in Stedman's Ortho Word book.

perineal post, more info - anne

[ In Reply To ..]
What the above posters wrote is correct, ALMOST always peroneal is the correct term for ortho. However, in this case, especially if you look at the pictures, the perineal post is for protection of the perineal area, and it is also found in the Stedmans word book. Googling peroneal post will come up with lots of hits also, but in this case those are incorrect (can't always trust Google) and perineal is the correct choice.

should be peroneal not perineal, - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
A peroneal post is commonly
used with a fracture table in both the supine and lateral positions to provide lateralization and traction
of the femur. Adequate distraction of the hip joint may be difficult without the peroneal post. We
achieved an effect similar to that of a peroneal post using a simple technique of peroneal padding.
A long cushioning jelly bag is first wrapped around the peroneal post. It is then fixed by taping and
further secured by bandaging. The patient is positioned so that the femur lies against this peroneal
padding to provide optimal lateralization of the femur. Distraction of the hip joint is then performed
by traction of the femur. We believe peroneal padding is a simple technique that allows adequate
lateralization and good positioning of the femur.
The perOneal post attaches to the side rail of the OR - table,nm
[ In Reply To ..]
sorry I disagree perineal - anne
[ In Reply To ..]
I also saw the Google results with "peroneal" posts. I also know sometimes *GASP LOL" Stedman's books are wrong. But, it is listed in the word book as "perineal" and I have a sister-in-law who is an OR nurse and does a ton of ortho and hip cases who also verified this. There are also brand names and pictures of the "perineal post" this is what it says under Oasis perineal post: " The Oasis Perineal Post Pad reduces pressure on the patient in the groin area and is attached quickly and easily with Velcro.
Its universal shape and size allows it to be used on most operating room fracture tables."

And this is from Arthrex listing supplies:
Perineal Post for Hip Arthroscopy

Company Type: Manufacturer

The Perineal Post for the Hip Distractor System will allow for optimized femoral head distraction from the acetabulum by providing counterforce. It attaches to the surgical table via standard Clark Rail Adaptors. The Perineal Post Pad is made from soft, atraumatic foam to protect the patient from trauma during positioning and prolonged leg distraction. The Perineal Post is meant to accent the Hip Distractor System and is not intended to be used alone as an alternate means of hip distraction.
follow up now I am not sure either! - anne
[ In Reply To ..]
My sis-in-law says the equipment is labeled "perineal" in her OR, I will ask her to get the brand. I did more research and saw "peroneal" post listed with Innovative systems and it looked like a different part than the pics and description I saw for perineal. Totally confusing! Stedman's does not list peroneal post, but does list perineal post, but we know they can be wrong!
Innovative Orthopedic Technologies has peroneal post - perhaps 2 different things?nm
[ In Reply To ..]
I think 2 different products doing different things - anne
[ In Reply To ..]
This drove me nuts, and I kept researching. I think yes, there are 2 products, the one you can see the image and is pink and is a "post" pad thing that fits between the legs up to the perineum, called a "perineal" post, and is to protect that area during surgery, and it is used with hip procedures.

The one by Innovative, the "peroneal" post, looks like it attaches to the side of bed and protects the area of the "peroneal" nerve. That would make sense, but they are both used with hip surgeries, how would you know which one?

I sure don't know! I was sure I was right, but I think we both are!

Similar Messages:

Perineal Or Peroneal
Dec 16, 2009

Sensation shows a little right lateral calf tingling (history of perinoplasty), which could be perineal or L5.     do I have this right?  Perineal versus peroneal.  I assume it is right because I could not find a peroneoplasty procedure anywhere.   wasn't sure perineal would have to do with calf tingling??   thanks ...

Anyone Receive A Reply From The Transcription Doctors Job Post On Their Post For Editscript MTs?
Mar 24, 2010

nm ...

RE: New Post Replies, Do They All Go To The Bottom Of The Original Post?
Jan 23, 2010

I don't remember that yet when I post lately it goes all the way to the bottom rather than immediately after the original post.  Perhaps I just never noticed it before.  Oh well... ...

The Patient Is Status Post Revision Knee Surgery. Her Gait Shows A Slightly Shortened (s/l Shy) Dis
Sep 29, 2010

TIA ...

Question On Post Vs Status Post
Oct 22, 2009

Sometimes I'm not sure what to do when they say "post" ... something. I know if it is postauricular (for example), it is attached ... but how about post aneurysmal surgery?  It does not seem like it would be attached.  - Is it proper to leave it stand-alone or should I change it to status post ... or actually attach it? Thanks in advance!!  ...

Carotid Surgery, Status Post S/l "IUL" Implantation. Nm
Feb 23, 2011

xx ...

Orthopedic Knee Surgery
Feb 05, 2011

sounds like planka syndrome, or plankton? ...

Orthopedic Surgery - 2 Words
Sep 19, 2011

Report is a total knee arthroplasty.... A  (S/L "4/10 stilus" (or stylus) was used.  Next, once the cutting block was locked in position, the (S/L "Gorbitrough" ) was placed in the posterior aspect of the joint to protect the neurovascular bundle.  Thanks in Advance... ...

Orthopedic Surgery Word
Sep 30, 2011

I am stumped on a surgical report.  It talks about an Achilles rupture, and states that it has 3-months quinicity (sp?).  Totally stumped on this word and it is driving me nuts!  Any ideas???   Thanks in advance,   Denise ...

Postdischarge, Post-discharge, Or Post Discharge?
Nov 14, 2011

Which one do you guys use?  I find it all 3 ways on the net, with no clear indication as to what's correct.  Thx.   ...

Post Audit And Now A Post Audit M Report!!
Jan 19, 2015

Has anybody gotten the above email stating now there are 2 post audit reports that we have to pull?  The regular one and now a post audit m report???  What is this for???  This gets crazier every day ...

Post Op?
Nov 21, 2009

Hi everyone!  Just a quick question.  Is it post op or postop?  Have had this changed both ways recently and have never had this questioned before and am now second guessing myself.  Thanks! ...

There Was A Post Regarding IC/Emp And IRS That Was
May 11, 2010

It was a post that very clearly stated some IRS stuff and some case law, I believe?  There is a group of us who worked for a company and pretty much all of us got burned!  And we're talking tens of thousands of dollars collectively in one month!  So, I am doing some reasearch to see if this former company violated the IC status by paying an hourly wage and need some concrete stuff to make my case.  I tried an archive search, but that didn't work.  It was just w ...

PTO And My Former Post
Jul 13, 2011

After so many questioned my former post, I reviewed MQ's PTO policy.  They state a maximum of 18 days for full-time employees which is 3 days more than I was offered when I last worked full-time (after 30 years).  For those of you who say you are getting 22 or 28 days - I don't know how you managed it but consider yourselves lucky.  I  hope you continue to get it.  And by the way, when I take time off now it is unpaid (as a flexible part-time employee) and was ...

Not Sure Where To Post This, But I Need To Know
Oct 04, 2011

how to stop an abbreviation from expanding in Emdat.  I cannot find it in the manual or on the help screen.  Please help!!  TIA ...

Where To Post?
Jul 18, 2012

I have a 3rd edition BOS W/ electronic version that I want to get rid of. I can't seem to find a for sale board. Where would I post it or is that not allowed here? ...

From The Post Below, About MTs
Aug 17, 2012

http://hdstoday.com/?tag=mmodal Below are highlights of the news article In light of the One Equity Partners purchase of M*Modal, I predicted that within the next 12 to 18 months we may see OEP turn around and sell off M*Modal’s speech recognition technology to the likes of Microsoft, especially if Apple spends some of its cache of cash on Nuance. A $12 billion buyout of Nuance by Apple would dwarf the $1.2 billion M*Modal acquisition, and it would also put control of a huge chunk o ...

Had To Post This One
Feb 05, 2013

ASR respirations 17 culprit organism Dicatate respiratons 17 per minute you just cant make this stuff up ...

BOS Job Post
Mar 27, 2014

anyone heard back from them.   ...

Don't Look At This Post!!!
Mar 29, 2014

Now that I have your attention, does anyone know of any good (if there is such a thing) transcription companies looking for workers?  My current company is always running out of work and I'm getting tired of waiting around.  I'm eligible for early retirement in a couple of months and could take that way out, but I'm really hoping to keep on working for a little while longer.  ...

What Happened To My Post?
Oct 19, 2009

I had a post about how much to ask for my Stedman's books & Infinity USB foot pedal, and now it is gone. It has not been moved anywhere. Where is it? ...

Admin (?) Re Post 3:13 Pm
Oct 20, 2009

I just spotted this post under "latest messages posted", but when I try to find it on the "Word Help" board, it isn't there.  Is that odd?   Thanks! http://forum.mtstars.com/151913.html ...

Regarding Post Below About Not Enough Fed Taxes
Jan 28, 2010

out, see your federal tax booklet, Schedule M, Making Work Pay.  This should help you in not having to pay as much in to the IRS.  HTH ...

Saw A Post And Can't Find It Now About
Feb 17, 2010

I know exactly the company you are talking about and have wondered the same thing. The person who wrote the rules must not have a full understanding of the VR program. At this company, we are supposed to adhere to the account specifics to a T if we type on the account, but if we get a VR job on that same account we are supposed to ignore the account specifics and leave it as VR puts it unless there are blatant errors. That makes NO SENSE. Why not train VR correctly in the first place so the repo ...

Sometimes This Board Will Not Let Me Post Anywhere.
Feb 20, 2010

No matter how carefully I type the "code" to prove I'm a real person or whatever, it just keeps asking me to type it again and again, and won't accept it.  ...

Job Board Post
Jun 05, 2010

anyone know who posted the mental health position on the job board?? ...

What Happened To The Post From The MT
Jun 07, 2010

There were several replies to it also. ...

Pre- And Post Bronchoscopy
Jun 19, 2010

Is it pre- and postbronchoscopy or pre- and post-bronchoscopy? Thank you for help. AB ...

Do Any Of You Remember This Post!
Aug 21, 2010

The unconstitutional employment practices of MedQuist and CBay - ACalfornian Posted: Mar 17th, 2010 - 2:30 pm I'm NOT an attorney; therefore, cannot give any legal advice.  If you want to pursue the issues addressed below, please consult an attorney.   In the case of Department of State v. Washington Post Co., 456 US 595 (1982), the Department of State refused to disclose private information of individuals to an "American" corporation, "Washington Post", citing the polic ...

Why Is It That Transcend ALWAYS Post 5 Or 6 Ads At Once??? (sm)
Jun 23, 2011

Are they that desperate for MTs and editors?  It seems like on a daily basis they are posting this many at once. ...