A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Thought ya'll were kidding (and/or exaggerating) about the Previous Reports - anon

Posted: Mar 24, 2010

Pulled up an old report to get a heads-up on the physical exam.  The report listed W2 and HK for Wt and Ht (among other errors).  I was dumbfounded. 

I have been wondering lately how - Tired

[ In Reply To ..]
some of these MTs actually got hired.

How did they pass the testing?

The kind of errors I have seen in reports makes me shudder. Starting sentences with numbers, wrong spelling, wrong acronyms, incorrect formatting, etc., etc., etc.

I don't know how some of these MTs are actually MTs. Did they even go to school?

Even that is no excuse - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
I didn't go to MT school (except school of hard knocks), but I can still put out a fairly decent report!!! Some people who go to school are just more highly educated idiots.

Every Tom, Dick and Harry - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
I can't count how many people, when they are faced with some sort of job crisis, have asked me about becoming a medical transcriptionist. Off the top of my head, one worked as a veterinary assistant, one was a nurse (and not a very good one), several from various medical office situations, and one was a stay-at-home babysitter. Every one of them seemed to think that they could become a medical transcriptionist and "make $40,000 a year" since apparently their vocation of first choice didn't pan out. I always tried to be civil, but I just wanted to slap them for their condescending attitude towards what we do. Apparently everybody thinks any fool can do transcription? Uh oh, after looking at some of these previous reports, maybe they are correct and the egg is on my face ~~

I have to respond to this, as I understand... - Leo

[ In Reply To ..]
I know exactly what you're talking about. I did go to school for it way back when...early '90s, and it was an excellent program. Then I went on and worked in an acute care setting at a hospital for 4 years. After that I got on with a company to work from home. It was wonderful! However, shortly after I started working from home, I got many phone calls from people saying, "well, I want to do that," thinking they could start in a week! I would laugh to myself and explain to them that yes, I went to school, and then to be able to work at home, I had to have at least 3 years experience in an acute care setting. They were all like "oh, well, then..." and not one went through. These days, they probably could with about a month's training, and it sickens me to no end! Most outside the "real" MT world are truly absolutely clueless as to what we put into it, and now the struggle that we have just to try to get a decent pay check! Ugh!! I have actually had somebody tell me (several years ago, but I won't forget)after they asked me what I do, and when I explained it to them, they said, "oh, so you just type all day." Talk about wanting to smack someone! I was extremely PO'd. They just had no clue.

Well, as far as the Q is concerned, I have had enough. I feel that my career has ultimately been spit on, and it offends me completely, so I am moving on, and my days are shortened, and I am very excited to lift this heavy burden from my shoulders as it has done nothing but bring me down.

I know that it's not easy for everyone to leave, trust me, I completely understand...not in this still current unsteady economy. It's hard to leave something you've known for a while too. It wasn't an easy decision for me, but it just came down to state of mind and family.

Good luck to all who continue on.
State of mind-agree - adios
[ In Reply To ..]
Can't agree with you more. Has come down to my state of mind. This is not a healthy work environment no matter what kind of spin they put on it. And the fact we all work from home has a lot to do with how they get away with the mind games.

So tired of the spin on everything.

So tired of the paychecks just being a slap in the face.

Please God, let that new job come soon. I want to save what I have left of my mind.

Been wondering - Nature

[ In Reply To ..]
I wonder how they are passing audits. I have seen reports where the MT uses abbreviations in the Diagnosis, typing out numbers, mispelled drugs, and I saw 1 report where the drugs were numbered, and some of them were not capitalized. How did they get that to happen? When you put a period, then the next letter should automatically capitalize. It is as if someone just got a job without any education at all.

I hate to say it, but those reports with those - Kiki

[ In Reply To ..]
typos/mistakes you see are probably from a normally very good MT who, under normal circumstances, would not make those kind of mistakes. However, they have pretty much been forced to speed up and sacrifice quality in order to make a decent living--all forced and encouraged by MQ

abbreviations in Diagnosis - Julie

[ In Reply To ..]
Funny you should mention the abbreviations in Diagnosis sections. My training was also very precise regarding this.... NO ABBREVIATIONS in CC, Diagnosis, headings. BUT my last QA said they were okay unless it was the actual diagnosis, abbreviating tests (LFT, PT, PTT, ACE inhibitors, etc) was okay! BOS and M-Tec evidently have it all wrong. I'm convinced you can't win as far as QA is concerned.

Be aware . . . - Please read . . . .

[ In Reply To ..]
Please, please be careful of any reports in MQs system. MANY MANY are coming straight from India. My old QATL and my old CCM (both gone now) gave me that information on a conference call one time. Right before they were let go. My CCM argued in her meetings with the suits about it, but they said too bad. That is the way it is going to be.

Watch the reports. Especially now you have newbies using the FTR rules.

Use your own better judgement and just send a blank to the client if you really don't know what it is.

I wouldn't trust too many reports in the system now.

Harsh Reality - txcatgirl

[ In Reply To ..]
We continue to warn everyone we know about this. I wonder how many "folks" actually have their reports. I reiterated this to a friend recently who plays the "bliss card," which I never do anymore.

I would rather hear "the patient" tell me that he/she already has such sensitive info. I am not interested in somebody's personal data, but I would fight like the dickens to ensure it stayed private. That's just what we do.

Probably from the MT the other day - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
who liked ASR because "she could read fast." She undoubtedly didn't catch the part that you have to CORRECT the jibberish that ASR produces!!!!!

And obviously some of them dont read it. - I can image what is going to the client.

[ In Reply To ..]
HaaaHaaa. MQ is gonna eat this FTR load of dung idea big time.

No-win situation in our industry - txcatgirl

[ In Reply To ..]
I have not been on this board in awhile. Curiosity led me to see what was being posted publicly. It is interesting to see how many anonymous posters are on here. However, it does not surprise me.

Watching our industry being swallowed from within is very sad.

Kudos to those who still rally around the base as Medquist adds more CBay layers.

Ouch!

Similar Messages:

This Is From A Previous Post. But I Thought
Apr 15, 2012

discussion and wanted to bring it to the top where everyone would get a chance to see it. The post stemmed from an ad where they were offering to pay $10 to $11 an hour for MTs. It dawned on me that if they can afford to pay that hourly then they can afford to raise rates. This is the reality of many MTs right now. How many on here do you read about griping over min wage pay? LOTS! The calculations that I make just lays it all out there. I used these figures as an example to show t ...

How To Look Up Previous Reports On Chartnet?
Nov 09, 2012

Can someone please tell me how to look up previous reports on chartnet?  Thanks! ...

Previous Report Look Up
Mar 08, 2010

In spite of everything else, I was determined that THIS was going to be a good thing; however, after E-mails to supervisor to get password and then jumping through about 20 hoops was informed that there were no reports available for this dictator for the last month.  I guess this was his first day on the job? Good grief.  More cr*ap.  ...

CORRECTION To Previous Post
Sep 29, 2012

The company I saw an ad for was Administrative "Assistance"  (out of Michigan) - not Administrative "Associates" - my mistake! ...

Bad Mouthing Previous Boss
Apr 16, 2013

Just found out that indeed my old boss is stating that I walked out and gave her no notice; which is NOT true... OMG... I'm speechless. ...

*ITS T-nail* From A Previous ORIF Of Hip
Sep 20, 2013

The patient had a previous ORIF with a *ITS T-nail* of the right hip for an intertrochanteric fracture.  I can't verify.  Thanks. ...

Paycheck Less Even Though Transcribed More Lines Than Previous
Nov 10, 2009

It is beyond me how I made less on my pay check, but typed over 1500 more lines than last pay period.   ?  Anyone else notice that?  ...

Previous Report Lookup Is Ridiculous
Mar 07, 2010

Another idea of MQ's that might sound good in theory but in practice this is totally ridiculous. First off, I can't even get any reports to come up....I tried different variations of entering info into the search, only to get nothing back.....so stupid.   Second, do they really think we can do this with how LONG it takes.....first you have to sign out of DQS, then sign back in with a different password to get to DQM?  Get out of here!    I was hoping that maybe ...

After 9 Months Of Unemployment My Previous MTSO (sm)
Mar 19, 2011

has rehired me.  Just wanted to thank everyone for sharing info about the MTSOs they worked for, job leads, etc.  I am praying for all who still need a job. ...

Previous Mergers With Nuance (Webmedx, Etc.)
Apr 19, 2012

MTs who worked previously for companies bought out by Nuance I was wondering did any of you work using satellite internet?  If so, what happened when you Nuance took over as Nuance says no satellite?  I use satellite internet so I'm wondering what will happen with Nuance when they take over Transcend.  Initially, I'm sure I would be able to use it, but if the platform is changed, then what?  I'm just wondering should I find another job now that accepts sat. or ...

The Previous Couple Of Transcend Mergers That I Have Read About On Here... Sm
Nov 23, 2009

Have had me feeling as if some of us who have been at Transcend longer were not offered what they have been offering recently, maybe that is why I have seen so many people leave.  It was 8 cents per line for transcribing and 4 cents for VR.  When you cannot make your 900 dollars every two weeks you are then moved to part time, bennies are taken away and you do not get PTO.  I was feeling pretty devalued, but then I thought maybe later on they may tell the new people some excu ...

Going Solo-concerned About Some Previous Posts Ive Read
Jan 05, 2010

I am working on starting up my own MT business (as you have maybe seen by some of the other posts I have sent) and I have been reading some of the latest posts and have seen discussions about this being a dying business and I have seen many people are getting out of this field and venturing elsewhere.  Up until the  holidays, I was making a great living and I guess with the holidays underway, I am still waiting on work.  I thought that this would have picked up by now but I have n ...

Cardiology Workup S/l Showed No Previous Apices
Aug 08, 2010

s/l showed no previous apices.  ...

Search Previous Dates Like This...if Your Page Only Lets You
Aug 03, 2014

I saw a question the other day asking how to get back farther in the message posts. The board is listed in date order, so what I do if I want to reread, for instance, something from late July, I use the search key above and type in a date the way the dates are shown... 2014-07-23,  then just tap the little search tab! At the bottom of your screen you can scroll through page after page of posts on that day from all the boards. There is good information about Nuance on alot of the boards her ...

New Specs Posted On Fiesa With NO Notification. Previous
Oct 18, 2014

...I suppose because I said the account names. So, here goes, large city account in CT, and small city outside Seattle. Supe is LG on the AB (COM) team. Found these new specs on 10/15 and have no idea what the changes are because we were never even told about them. Heads up, folks! ...

Labor Board Contact On Previous MTSO
Dec 09, 2014

Anyone else hear from a wages & hours investigator from a Labor Board on a well known MTSO?  I do not want to reveal the name, as I think all should worry about this and don't want to tip off the one they are investigating.   ...

Prefer Short Reports Or Long Reports? Sm
Jun 13, 2012

Hi all. I was just wondering what other MTs prefer...little short reports or very long reports? Do too many of either affect your line count (and therefore your pay)?   I definitely prefer very long reports!  ...

ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!!!!!!!!
Sep 26, 2010

I get an e-mail from CCM saying OT is approved and not to forget about the incentive this weekend.  Yeah, that would be really nice if the system wasn't down!!!!!  GEEZ!!!!! ...

TT Are You Kidding Me?!
Feb 17, 2011

We were starving for work these past few weeks and now TransTech is hiring 10 more MTs?  This is really starting to tick me off! To the suits at TT who read the board:   Please stop hiring more MTs! We can handle the workload and do it well within TAT.  You always tell us that we are the best, we rock, etc., so why not just trust us to do the job? We really, really don't want to sit at our desks for 10 to 12 hours a day waiting for work and just barely making our 1500 lines ...

CMT Now $305 To Take? Are They Kidding?
Apr 15, 2011

After debating about whether I should take this test or not, I went to the site and found out that they are charging $305 (not the 150 it used to be) to sit for the CMT test if you are an MT who doesn't already have their RMT? I've been working for 10 plus years and I have to pay to take the RMT, which is a test for people just out of school?  I was going to bite the bullet and take the test as my company gives a small pay incentive for CMT status, but I think I may have to forge ...

Are You Kidding Me
Apr 27, 2012

"Hello, this is Dr. ____.  I have laryngitis.  I am going to see if you can hear me." And then this lovely doctor, who is usually one of my favorites, continues on with her dictation in a raspy whisper.  Oh.  Dear.  God.  ...

Just Kidding
Apr 28, 2012

His head was placed on a donut roll.  (I hope it wasn't a jelly donut). ...

Are You Kidding?
Aug 22, 2013

Feedback from QA (MME?)  not enough space between state and zip code.  Mind you, this was pulled in from the database.  Maybe the person entering this info should take a little more time and check.  This is not the first time, nor the last time I suspect, that I have found errors when pulling in an address.  Really? BE CAREFUL fellow MT/ME's.  ...

Are You Kidding???
Feb 25, 2014

Stuck uploading a job.  What a wonderful way to start the day.  At this rate, I will be working till all hours of the night.  Can't they get this fixed?????????? ...

You Have Got To Be Kidding Me
Feb 24, 2015

If sales are so good and business is booming why not pay your grunts (MTs) better?  We are the ones who do all the dirty work so you can take the credit and the benefits and the pay.  We are the ones who listen and relisten to the mushmouth, careless dictators who eat, spit, cough, sneeze, pee, mumble, yawn, and more while they dictate.  MTs are the ones who get busted for a wrong lab value or missing an incorrectly dictated medication dosage or typing "th ...

YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME!!!!
Mar 22, 2015

Started at 2 a.m., and hour early, to get my "mandatory OT " in for the day....no NJA???  Why are they not calling off the mandatory OT this weekend???  This is insane!!!! ...

Previous Surgery - Appendectomy With S/l Stem-peed Extraction
Aug 25, 2011

x ...

DQS Slowing Down AGAIN? You're Kidding, Right? Nm
Jul 27, 2010

. ...

What The Heck? Are You Kidding Me?
Sep 08, 2010

So I get this report, a LONG REPORT.  I type it, I download it, and it is sent off and I get the next job.  I start typing away and in 2 minutes I get this error message stating you will lose this file or something and boom, everything goes away and I am out of the system.  I am supposed to be typing during my shift.   Then I go back in again and I get 3 jobs reserved to me and the is the same dang report LONG REPORT that I just did and they want me to do it all over again? ...

It's Dangerous To Sit All Day-- No Kidding
Aug 31, 2011

Very interesting article-- I just wish the MTSOs would read it.  They expect the MTs to sit for 8 solid hours pounding away like robots and even track "inactivity time" on your computer if you stop for a minute or two.  I am finally free from the MT rat race and found another job where I can actually move around and interact with real people instead of staring at a computer screen for 8 solid hours.  I only hope the scar on my leg from the shackle I have had to wear for years will ...