A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

President of AHDI advises us to train as coders or in EHR. - MTforNow

Posted: Mar 20, 2012

The latest issue of Plexus (MT industry journal) makes reference to the fact that the president of AHDI told a group of MTs to start training either as coders or in some EHR capacity. 

Her point is having a broad base is our best bet at keeping/getting a good job in rapidly changing HIM these days.

coding - non

[ In Reply To ..]
Coding will be taking the same direction transcription as taken. That sounds like something they would recommend.....so helpful!

Exactly. What an ill-informed recommendation. - nm

[ In Reply To ..]

Do your due diligence. (sm) - MTforNow

[ In Reply To ..]
Familiarize yourself with what RAC auditing is. Familiarize yourself with CDI. These are already essential jobs, and their importance (and demand) is only expected to grow. In fact, AHIMA recently created a new certification just for CDI ("CDIP"). These jobs -- and many more -- require a solid coding background. We are talking jobs that pay in the range of $80-$100K+. The gateway to get them is through the CCS (inpatient coding certification). As Coder correctly pointed out below, those with backgrounds in MT are particularly well suited for CDI -- clinical documentation improvement.

You're doing yourself a disservice to dismiss so quickly without first investigating.

I think those who keep insisting they will fail in coding as they did in MT will be correct - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
As we've heard all our lives, those who are convinced they will fail, will most likely be right. The reverse is also true if you get proper training, the best of credentials, and put yourself in the right place for employment.

I know plenty of MTs who are doing just fine. I read here about other MTs who are not doing just fine. Sometimes it's because they got poor training. Sometimes it's because they work for the wrong company or have a poor attitude. Occasionally, but not always---because plenty of people are still doing fine---it's because of changes in the industry.

It's the same with coding. There are plenty of opportunities there, but those who just know it's going to end badly will be right. It will end badly for them and for those they drag down with them.
Plus, hospital ICD-9/10 coding requires more smarts than MT. There's a lot of - research and analysis. Fact is,
[ In Reply To ..]
a fair number of people just wouldn't be able to hack it, no matter how good their attitude.
I would disagree with you - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
I think the problem is, there have always been people doing MT who didn't have the knowledge or skills to do it. They've been hanging on all this time, but not because they had the "smarts" to do it. Coding doesn't take any more "smarts" than MT. It's just that it's harder to fake it.
Itt's harder to fake it because credentials are required - If only AHDI had made that happen for MT
[ In Reply To ..]
If MTs had been required to have credentials the way coding does, we would have fewer people pretending they were MTs when they never really had the skills or knowledge to do it.
Correct--inpatient coding is more difficult than MT - Most cannot do it successfully
[ In Reply To ..]
Coding is considerably more difficult than MT and inpatient coding is especially so. Why do you think so many people fail certification tests? Why do you think so many MTs who learn coding stay in MT jobs even though the pay is so much lower? Itis because coding is complicated and it is WORK, especially early on.

This isn't saying anything bad about MT. It is just that coding is more involved, more complicated, changes more often, is subject to many different rules and guidelines, and certainly requires a much deeper knowledge of the basic medical sciences. Far more hinges on it, from thousands of dollars to huge fines for error, and there is a very high expectation for acuracy in the ballpark of 98%.

The level of knowledge required is more than "recognition." In MT, you are ok if you recognize what you hear. In coding, recognition doesn't cut it. You have to be able to describe the anatomy or recognize a broad-spectrum antibiotic and know what lab results indicate, and identify anything missing from the record that should be added. You need to hve a much more extensive knowledge of pathophysiology.

Some MTs here keep saying that software can just see medical words and code them, like ASR writes them. It can, but that isn't what coders do. There s a lot more decision-making and analysis. We do not just parrot-code medical words.
Besides, coding is boring! - n/m
[ In Reply To ..]
n/m
Definitely not the job for you, then. :) - Gotta find the lid to fit your pot. NM
[ In Reply To ..]
nm
Inpatient coding more difficult - Anonymous
[ In Reply To ..]
Yes, inpatient coding is difficult. One thing that coders seem to forget is that without MTs, they'd be nowhere, you can't code it if it isn't documented first. ASR software rarely gets it right, that's where our judgment and decision making come into play. Coding recognition software is out there, too, and in the future some coders will be "editors" too. I'm one of those who learned coding but chose to stay in MT for a number of reasons, never because I thought it was "easy", but mainly because I am good at what I do and enjoy doing it, much more than I think I would enjoy coding. In regard to wages, I make the same or more as an MT than I would as a coder (I don't work for an MTSO). Whoever it was who told you that MT was not WORK was mistaken.

If it pays that much, hospitals will try to find a - way to cheapen (ruin) it. nm

[ In Reply To ..]
Right, so we should all dig a hole, crawl in it, and stay safe - see message
[ In Reply To ..]
I know that's not what you're saying, but we do need to get out of the habit of turning everything into a negative. That's a bad habit to have. People who do that are in failure mode while other people are out there making things work instead of thinking of all the reasons it won't work.
You tell me ONE positive thing about this godforsaken - scam of a "profession". Just ONE.
[ In Reply To ..]
You cannot stop obsessing about it, can you! - Something for you to read
[ In Reply To ..]
You cannot stop obsessing about this! It isn't even about MT and you STILL keep harping about it!

There is a classification for people like you. It is known as "Stage One."

Everybody is against you. They're all against all of us. Life stinks. Nobody can make it. It's all about the flippin' suits and all they do is kill us. It's a crock that we can ever get anywhere with education. The suits will screw us again. You all are stupid, not me! I see it for what it is! You wait! you'll spend all that money on coding training and then WHAM! They'll hit you up for more bogus credentials and a pile of stupid references guaranteed to change yearly to screw you out of more money! And then you'll be out of another job and wishing you had listened to me!

Well, the books DO change yearly because there are annual code set updates. Part of the cost of doing business.

My credentials cost around a thousand a year. Not all coders have this much expense, but again it is part of the cost of doing business. I am happy to spend it because I am one of those people with a salary up the wazoo.

YOU should not go into coding or into informatics because you are overwhelmingly negative in a most objectionable way. That is incompatible with employment in those fields. Probably all fields.

It may be that you cannot see yourself. I recommend that you read a book called "Tribal Leadership" by Logan, King, and Fischer-Wright. Look for yourself in Stage 1.

some real psychos on this board, maybe - thats why they
[ In Reply To ..]
work from home because they cant function any place else with other people. Not talking about coding, just all the negativity I see on this board period...its never ending.

A group of people could be carrying on a reasonable conversation and then someone will come along with their negative attitude and totally de-rail the entire thread.
LOL. Wow. Talk about "obsessing". - Pot, meet Kettle.
[ In Reply To ..]

My question is what has AHDI done for us lately? - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
I have almost convinced myself to go to Andrews for coding and now AHDI is telling us that is the route to take? IMO, they certainly have not steered us in the right direction so far, so now what?

Thanks to them, the MT "profession" is in the toilet - Old and Tired MT

[ In Reply To ..]
They were in favor of sending the work overseas so they could get the Indians and Pakistanis to get their CMT and get more money. They put out the new BOS every year and change commas, etc., so the current version is obsolete-- and get more money. They have done NOTHING to help the MT in the US in any way, shape, or form. I would not listen to one word these so-called "experts" had to say about anything. As for coding, we all know that it, too, will go the way of the MT once the EMR gets up and running, so we are supposed to invest in learning that so we can be out of a job in coding as well as MT? How many coding books will they be selling to make even more money from us? They must think we are all really stupid. I supported them with my CMT for many years until I got sick of them selling us down the river and I'm not about to do it again with coding!

It is a sensible recommendation - Coder

[ In Reply To ..]
Don't let the fact that they suggested it hold you back. Truly, coding is a field in which you can use your existing knowledge and skills. It s a broad field with many job types at different levels, allowing room for growth and movement.

As we have pointed out before, MT is one job. Coding is many jobs. Those jobs are not all sitting and copying codes off of charge tickets (which can be done by an EHR. There are many jobs which do not consist of looking up codes all day but which require a knowledge of coding.

What Debbie Downer over there doesn't grasp is that there are jobs in auditing, compliance, documentation improvement (think you might have some skills there???), EHR code maintenance, and a bunch of other things. Or, maybe she does get it, but finds that level of committment more than she prefers and can't stand the thought of anyone else benefitting from what she didn't want.

Sorry if that sounded mean, but it bothers me that she continues to spew that drivel in order to discourage others from doing something worthwhile. Enough is enough, ya know?

I agree with you that the same person continues to put out that same negative message - Also tired of hearing it

[ In Reply To ..]
Apparently she gets great pleasure out of constantly running down coding. I don't know if it's because she's convinced herself she can't do it for some reason or if she's had some really poor training and can't find a job, or what. It is tiresome though.

UNBELIEVABLE that somebody actually believes - anything fork-tongued AHDI says. (nm)

[ In Reply To ..]
It has nothing to do with AHDI! - Coder
[ In Reply To ..]
I believed it before AHDI said anything about it. Been hearing about it from industry sources for years.
Thank you! (sm) - MTforNow
[ In Reply To ..]
The HIM director (my manager's boss) where I work is actively encouraging the MTs to retrain in coding.

To Coder - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
Thank you. This is exactly why I am sticking to my original plan to go to Andrews for coding. I am a CMT with an Associate's Degree and 26+ years experience as an MT/supervisor/QA (with my favorite still being an MT). Of course, I have not had to do VR YET and that's probably why I still enjoy being an MT so much. In my opinion, these skills will certainly help me as I transition to coding and whatever else I decide to do in the future.

I feel that you can never be "too educated," especially in this ever changing medical field. Don't get me wrong, I am very nervous about going back to school at my age (47) but I am definitely looking forward to the challenges ahead of me.

Sorry, this got a little long. I am very excited to enter this next chapter in my life!
OMG! 47! You will . . . - Coder
[ In Reply To ..]
. . . fit right in. I think that is about the average age or something. Mid-40s.

Heh

My thoughts exactly! I still think coding - meggy

[ In Reply To ..]
is the way to go for me, but I hope AHDI doesn't ruin it for us!

They can't ruin coding for you because they know little to nothing about it - Please see message

[ In Reply To ..]
Coding is far out of the area of expertise of AHDI. They have no power over it, no control over anyone who does it. Apparently one person gave her opinion. I wouldn't lose sleep over that.
You're right, of course. From what I'm - meggy
[ In Reply To ..]
learning as I explore coding/healthcare information, it is a much bigger, broader field than medical transcription, and AHDI probably wouldn't be able to effectively get their arms around that. It seems like the career options for coding/healthcare information are vast, which I find both daunting and exciting at the same time.
Good points. I've been noticing a trend in the coders who are having trouble though - My thoughts
[ In Reply To ..]
I'm seeing lots of coders who are just getting basic coding training and then wondering why they aren't doing well. They aren't learning enough to even think about passing a CCS exam, for example, and employers don't have time to come along behind them and fix their mistakes.
Wondering where they got their training. - meggy
[ In Reply To ..]
I imagine I will end up going with Andrews, for starters, just to get into coding. If I like it and do well, I will try to branch out into other areas of health information via additional courses/degrees/certifications or whatever is required.
Many of the community colleges give intro courses which leave the students hanging - see message
[ In Reply To ..]
If a course says it just prepares you for a CPC, for instance or maybe a CCA, that's not enough. You're going to be starting out with no experience, so you need the highest level of coding credentials, the CCS. When you call a school to talk to them, see if you can actually talk to someone who is familiar with the course, not just an admissions clerk who gets money for signing you up. Then ask them what credentials their graduates are able to pass. Ask specifically about the CCS exam. Does that course prepare the student well enough to pass the CCS exam? That's what you're looking for.
We all said the same thing about AHDI & transcription. - Ah, how soon we all forget.
[ In Reply To ..]
We thought because they were just a bunch of suit-wearing pencil-pushers, and knew zip about what we did for a living (MT), and because the hospitals NEEDED us, we were *safe*. And look where that got us.

I was looking at coding, although the cost of school was pretty prohibitive. Still, it looked like something I'd be good at. Then, I saw my first ad for "work-at-home" coding by an MTSO, and I knew it would just be a matter of time before AHDI got their slimy hands on that, as well.

I think the best way to go is to get out of healthcare altogether, because it's going to get a lot worse before (if ever) it gets better.
There are a couple of things you said that indicate you would not be very good at coding - see message
[ In Reply To ..]
There are several things you said that are giant red flags that you would not be very good at coding.

First, you are swayed one way, then another, all by what 'others' think and say. Then, you jump to giant conclusions because of an ad you saw. Even worse, you decide to 'blame' others for something that hasn't happened and won't happen. Finally, you come up with a conclusion not based on fact, that all healthcare is doomed.

There is not one indication anywhere that you have cognitive skills required to be a coder. I agree with you. It would not be a good choice for you. That doesn't mean it wouldn't be for others who can think for themselves though.

AHDI should butt out - They see

[ In Reply To ..]
many, many MTs turning to coding. Are they now going to try and catch the coattails of coding to get in on the ride? Maybe change their name to AHDI and CODING? Please just stop. It's embarrassing.

If AHDI gets its greedy fingers on coding, you - can kiss another good job goodbye. (nm)

[ In Reply To ..]

Now that's just silly - Not an AHDI Fan

[ In Reply To ..]
I'm not exactly an AHDI fan, but the idea they are all out to make things bad for us is just silly. There were people in the past, not all of AHDI, but a few people, who made bad decisions. They have all moved on, so there isn't anyone left there to blame. It's time to grow up and take responsibility for ourselves, because no organization is going to take care of us. They also aren't going to destroy coding. That's just silly.
If I were a betting person (which I'm not) I'd be - willing to bet coding is the next MT fiasco.
[ In Reply To ..]
It's a done deal -- Despite the fantasies of the ostriches here. - HeadNotInSand nm
[ In Reply To ..]
nm

If AHDI *recommends* something, then we all - know its something to be AVOIDED! (nm)

[ In Reply To ..]

What a hysterical reaction! - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
When I read all that you've written over and over again, I wonder what in the world happened to you to make you so hysterical. The problem isn't MT or coding or AHDI, CDIA, AHIMA, HIPAA, or even IRS. The problem is something you're going to have to fix within yourself.

What has the AHDI done for us? - JW

[ In Reply To ..]
Darned if I know. Sorry can't answer your question.

Who cares about AHDI and what they think or don't think about anything? - Wondering why it is so important to you

[ In Reply To ..]
Why is it so important to you what AHDI thinks or doesn't think about any topic? I'm confused about why that's so important to you.

I believe they have it wrong - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
There are all sorts of directions coders can go in HIM, so coding is probably a very smart idea. Their idea is wrong though because they have some idea that MTs will be doing both MT and coding. They probably think that because the big MTSOs want that to happen, a fantasy they have been having for years. AHDI seems to believe anything the big MTSOs say. Coding to the point that it is worth doing takes credentialed coders spending 100% of their time coding, not part of it transcribing it and part coding, a ridiculous idea dreamed up by people who want to think that will happen for their own benefit.

Coding/AHDI - Anonymous

[ In Reply To ..]
AHDI does not publish coding books. Ingenix publishes the ICD-9 book and the CPT code book is an AMA publication, so I doubt if AHDI sees any of that money. New editions are issued regularly, though, and they are expensive, but it is not done to bilk people of their money, they are necessary for facility reimbursement. There are more options for coders than MTs, and I agree that doing both at the same time is not doable. If all the MTs jumped on the coding bandwagon, I don't think there would be enough jobs for everyone. The EMR is going to affect the way coders do their jobs,
regardless of what some people say. If I were younger, I'd pursue it. I actually completed a program but am not working as a coder and chose to stay in MT as I'm only a few years from retirement. Something that the people at AHDI did not mention is that coding is not for everyone. Not everyone will enjoy it. Not everyone can become a good coder, just as not everyone can become a good MT. MT and coding are not interchangeable. I say, if you want to learn coding, go for it, and take anything AHDI says with a grain of salt.

SURE she wants us to become coders! Her income - source (MTs) is drying up, and - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
coding is likely to become the next work-at-home scam/exploit for those criminal MTSO middlemen. I'm sure AHDI will find a way to invent a fake credential for that, too, so that their cash cow can keep on getting milked.

GOOD TRY, AHDI, but we can see right through it.

No, but many of us are tired of all of your conspiracy theories - nm

[ In Reply To ..]
Your conspiracy theories are creative, but not helpful, and very tiresome.

As tired as we are of your rose-colored glasses? - s/m

[ In Reply To ..]
With the *schools* now gearing up to crank out coders from their learning-factories, do you really think a glut of coders in the future is going to keep wages at a fair level?

Think again.
Something else to think about - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
Sure, there are schools cranking out so-called coders, but most of the schools are only giving them enough to make them think they are employable when they aren't. It isn't going to do a thing to the market for coders, because unless they can get a CCS credential, they aren't going to be employable.

You are mistaken - Anonymous

[ In Reply To ..]
The first thing you need to understand is that AHDI has NOTHING to do with coding. Coders have their own professional organizations, AAPC and AHIMA. AHDI makes no profit from coders' dues, they are strictly an MT organization. The woman from AHDI voiced an opinion, that is all, don't take it as gospel, you are over reacting.

The fly in the conspiracy theory - RHIA

[ In Reply To ..]
Just from a personal development perspective, I think the advice is sound. Those two areas are projected to expand and increase in importance as EHRs are implemented and as ICD-10 comes on board. Revenue and data are more important now than ever. MTs do have transferrable skills in those areas--lots of them.

Many MTs feel burnt right now. Mistrust of advice coming from an organization that many disliked since its inception is perhaps to be
expected, but there are some aspects of this that MTs here might not be aware of.

One thing is that this is not solely the opinion of one person or organization, so fears that this person or organization has cooked this up with ill intent are not well-founded. While this may be the first time you have heard the expectation that jobs in those areas will increase and that training in those areas will be beneficial, it is not the first time I have heard it.

Another thing is that there are already organizations that support these fields. All have a very strong member base, years of lobbying experience (one has many decades) and well-established credentialing programs. AHIMA, HIMSS, AAPC, ACDIS already have the market.

The speculation that AHDI intends this as a way to cook up a market for presumably unnecessary books is not particularly plausible. There is already a requirement for rather a lot of books and references. No need to invent another wheel in that regard. Other organizations and publishers do a good job already.

I do not think anyone should worry that this advice might mislead or cause harm. There is never anything wrong with learning more, particularly if improved job prospects could result.

So surprised that you all are missing the point here (sm) - MTforNow

[ In Reply To ..]
The head of the transcription industry is telling us we'd better start training in something else.

Did you read the news that MTIA has just folded?

Hello?!

If you want to stand by the water cooler and complain about AHDI as a means to avoid facing the real issue here -- that it's time to do what you need to do to CYA and get out of the field -- then so be it.

Agree - Anonymous

[ In Reply To ..]
It makes sense to have multiple skills and to be able to do more than one thing. Coding is not for everyone, but training to do something else never hurt anyone. I went back and re-read the original post. The comment was taken out of context, and without reading the entire article, none of us know what else was said, the woman never said that she "wanted us to become coders," someone was jumping to conclusions. AHDI is obviously a red flag to many but I still don't know what they have to with coding. I passed the CMT exam years ago but dropped my certification. I'm not a fan of AHDI either, but I think this issue was carried to extremes by a couple of people here. Those of us who want to pursue coding will do so. If you don't want to code, so be it, but don't assume that it's gloom and doom for everyone else.

And why, exactly, would AHDI give a darn about - all of us it has screwed so royally? n/m

[ In Reply To ..]
?

Similar Messages:

A Question For Coders: Has AHDI Wriggled Its
Aug 16, 2010

? ...

Is It Really Possible To Self-train?
Dec 26, 2010

I have been an MT for over 20 years, but during that time I've also done both inpatient and physician office coding, and also managed a physician's office for a number of years.  Is it possible, by purchasing the right materials, to hone my skills sufficiently to pass one of the certification exams?  ...

How Do You Train If You Are Already FT On Another Job?
Sep 07, 2011

If you are FT days and want to get a part time job that requires a day or 2 of training, how the heck do you do it?  Do some companies have trainers that work evening and/or week hours to help schedule these people in or do you have to take time off from FT job to train? ...

Any Companies That Actually Train You In VR?
Jun 14, 2010

Are they any companies that give you *good* training in voice recognition, and not just expects you to know how to do it. Say a full day or several days of good, thoroguh training. ...

Companies Who Train MTs
Feb 27, 2014

I have been an MT for almost 18 years and know some of the older companies used to train people in transcription then keep them on after they'd completed the course.  Does anyone know if there is a company that still does this and who my friend can contact? ...

RE-TRAIN ACUTE CARE
May 10, 2013

I have been a transcriptionist for the past 22 years.  I have worked in hospitals and clinics as well as an IC.  Early in my career, I transcribed acute care, autopsy, pathology and radiology reports.   For the past 15 years I have concentrated on transcribing radiology reports which has been profitable for me since I did not mind typing difficult dictators and ESL physicians.   Currently, am fortunate to be working as a full-time employee and have my hourly rate.&n ...

Patient Has Train Morse. ASR Apparently Thinks
Aug 26, 2010

Silent Type - Having To Pay Up Front To Train In Jersey!
Jul 08, 2011

Thanks for letting me know about having to pay up front to train in Jersey! I wouldn't even do that if we had the money when you don't know how awful of an account you may get or horrible platform. I was just getting ready to test. Thanks for the info! ...

President's Day
Feb 19, 2014

Didn't realize it would affect my workflow so much. ...

So Tired Of Everyone, EVEN THE PRESIDENT,
Oct 05, 2012

mixing up the words "offshore" and "outsource."  Outsource is what the hospitals do when they send transcription to M-Modal or whomever.  Offshore is when it goes to our "international labor partners" in India.  Outsourcing jobs we can live with; offshoring is starving us to death.  Get it right already!!!!!!!!! ...

KS Pay Question About President's Day
Feb 12, 2013

We normally get paid on the 17th - but it falls on a Sunday this time, which means we SHOULD get paid 2/18/13.  Got an email that we have to wait until 2/19/13 to get paid now.  I have an email from WAYYYYYYYYYYYY long time ago from the owner that if this happened, we would get paid the previous Friday - anybody else have that email?  Is this legal? ...

My Letter To President O'Bama
Oct 13, 2009

Dear President Obama:How's the new job?  Keeping busy?  Financial security?  I'll bet.  Are the American people keeping the mortgage on the White House up to date?  Great.  Kids have everything they need?  Wonderful.  The American dream.Me?  I lost another job to offshoring - AGAIN!   It's funny, I can't seem to find any concrete figures on just how many U.S. jobs are offshored.  There are only estimations by different a ...

President Obama In India
Nov 08, 2010

While President Obama is touring India, I sure hope he finds our jobs, loads them onto Air Force One, and brings them back to us...along with the wages that we once earned.  Instead though, we'll probably just get T-shirts (made in China) that say "I are a global MT." ...

President's Day On Monday And Softscript
Feb 20, 2011

It means that if you do ACH you get your pay 9 days after you should have gotten your pay.  Think about what that means for your bank account versus what it means for their bank account.  It is significant when multiplied by hundreds of employees.  It means much worse if you get an actual check in the mail. ...

Wrote My Senators, Congressman, AND The President
Jun 15, 2010

Well, we will see what kind of response I get back.  I'm not expecting much, but I thought it was high time i did my part in contacting my representatives and the White House about the sad state of OUR union :) ...

Webmedxers, Did Any Of You Write The CEO, President, Etc. About Things? Sm
May 03, 2011

I have already written them a very "level-headed but concerned" toned email about the way my job has changed. I included the "round-robin" work where we get work from lots of different accounts. I also mentioned that, in my opinion, the new MT director isn't treating people the way she should. All of this is affecting the quality and quantity of our work and will lead to patient error and damage our relations with clients. I mentioned how Webmedx seems to have changed. And then I gave some ...

The President's Speech About Independent Contractors
Jan 25, 2012

The President gave a speech today/yesterday (work the midnight shift so it is still today).  He was talking about the independent contractor thing.  Here is that part of the speech.  Is there any hope for me?   Helping Middle-Class Families Win the Future .....blah....blah....blah.... and then: Ensure Proper Classification of Employees to Protect Benefits.  When employees are misclassified as independent contractors, they are deprived of benefits and protections to w ...

The President Last Night Encouraged CEOs
Jan 29, 2014

to pay their employees more of a living wage. Does anyone think he will listen to the President? ...

Has Anyone Thought About Writing A Letter To The President?
Jun 22, 2014

Not necessarily pen and paper, but I saw where one can email the President.  I don't know if anyone has done this or not regarding the sad state of affairs our profession has become, but it might be worth a try.  I will do it even if no one else does.  I mean, what could it hurt?  Of course, it would be in a respectful way and all.  Otherwise, I will see the men in the dark suits at my door.  I will explain about what it used to be like and then what it has bec ...

AHDI BOS
Dec 04, 2010

What is the most recent AHDI BOS?  Is it the 3rd edition?  What has changed from the 2nd to the 3rd edition.  When will a new edition come out and will it be AHDI? Thanks in advance, Barb ...

What I Want From AHDI
Jun 14, 2012

People ask me what I want from AHDI or if it's worth being a member. I am a member. I ask myself why I still pay my membership dues and what I hope to get in return for that money. That's a tough question. Years ago I learned from their journal. I met lots of great people at conventions and seminars. Then the journal and web site started being more promotional instead of educational or professional. There was always something new that was going to change our lives if we would just sig ...

Thank You AHDI
Sep 10, 2013

MMODAL for taking my profession of being a skilled worker making a living rate, and turning it into a menial, pull them off the street, minimum wage worker. We are the new gutter rats. I have no good will toward this company any longer, and as for AHDI (only a fool joins them), I think you know what you can do, ditto MM. ...

AHDI BOS 3
Oct 10, 2014

I recently began a new position where they adhere to the AHDI Book of Style 3 guidelines.  Obviously, not having used this version before I was not aware one of the wonderful changes AHDI has made.  I understand AHDI exists to set the standards as one of their main objectives.  I also was under the assumption that AHDI had been made up primarily of MTs (at least that is who made them to start with) and has grown to include MTSOs.  What I find so infuriating and baffling at t ...

Here Is My Correspondence With AHDI
Mar 03, 2010

I got this note from a guy named Doggett in response to a note I sent to ADHI about throwing roadblocks in front of MTs to getting work and earning a decent living: "On March 24, AHDI members and staff will go to Capitol Hill to speak with their federal legislators, key members of the House and Senate, and administrative agency officials about the critical need for “meaningful use” and EHR certification regulations to recognize how medical transcriptionists work hard to ensure the a ...

AHDI Membership
Apr 19, 2010

Can anyone help me register for the AHDI membership.  I haven't done this yet and can't figure it out.  I'm so confused.  When I go to the web page and try to register it keeps wanting me to pay $135.  Isn't this supposed to be free now with MQ? ...

AHDI An Advocate?
May 24, 2010

I went to the AHDI web site to see if they might actually be an advocate for transcriptionists, who are always at the bottom of the ladder in most companies.  We are the worker bees and there all the queens, who reign supreme.  Imagine my surprise when at the top of the screen, there is a banner for Transcend, advertising that "they are always looking"   ... How can an organization that espouses to care about transcriptionists advocate for a specific company ... I k ...

AHDI RENEWAL
Jul 11, 2010

??  Is it worth it?  At $135 I think they are getting a bit greedy......I'm just sending out feelers.  Money is tight and I just don't know if it is worth it at this point in time. ...

How Does Ahdi Want July 4th?
Aug 30, 2010

When a Dr is dictating about "July 4th" is it correct to say July 4th? or should it be transcribed as July Fourth? ...

AHDI And RMT Exam
Dec 05, 2010

I will be graduating from TTC's Medical Transcription class soon so I am now wondering if I should join AHDI and if I should take the RMT.  I have read the information on the AHDI site which of course points to the pros of both. But I have also read posts from seasoned MTs who have not joined AHDI and some of them say that taking the RMT (or CMT for that matter) carries very little, if any, weight when locating a job. I know if you join AHDI while in school you get a discount on member ...

Goodbye, AHDI!
Jan 13, 2011

When I was a medical transcription student last winter at a local two-year college, most of us students joined AHDI at the encouragement of our instructors. My membership has expired and in today's mail was a membership renewal request from AHDI. I tossed it in the trash. I can't afford the membership because I can't get a job because AHDI supports offshoring of medical transcription jobs. Goodbye, AHDI. ...