A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Wrote my senators, congressman, AND the President - MarineMom

Posted: Jun 15, 2010

Well, we will see what kind of response I get back.  I'm not expecting much, but I thought it was high time i did my part in contacting my representatives and the White House about the sad state of OUR union :)

Letter - nan

[ In Reply To ..]
Good job! I've done that and will continue doing that. That's what everybody needs to do but probably won't because it's easier to sit back and complain but not do anything about it. People don't seem to realize that it takes a flood of letters to get them to listen, not just one or two. Some say they have done that and it did no good. People need to keep writing and many people need to write in order for them to listen. You also need to write Dateline, 60 minutes, etc., and keep writing. At some point, the issue will get addressed. If things don't happen overnight, people tend to give up and that is not how it works. You have to keep at them.

call your congressional rep too - MT2stay

[ In Reply To ..]
I emailed my representatives, then one of them called me back. I discussed offshoring as well as the use of ICs. She was very interested and seemed to take a lot of notes. Had no idea medical documentation was being done offshore with no US jurisdiction. I don't know if it will help but if all of us speak up, that's the least we can do.

call - nan

[ In Reply To ..]
Many of the people who represent us are unaware of how bad things are. My senator responded to my letter by stating that he is fighting to change the trade policies to have companies be required the same standards and pay that is in the US when they send work overseas. Personally, I believe this would keep companies from having a need to go overseas. They are doing it because of the substandard quality and slave wages they can get away with by having the work done in other countries. If they can no longer do this, why ship our jobs away. There are 50 states with many senators and representatives, many of which who are uninformed like the one you wrote. We need to write and keep writing so all of them in all 50 states know what is going on and maybe something will be done.

What is your problem with IC's? - 1mt

[ In Reply To ..]
I am an IC. I am an American. I work in the United States. I pay my taxes, even more than you pay out of your pocket, assuming you are an "employee" based on your comment. What is the problem with having IC's doing MT?

I think she means the MTSOs that blur the line between IC and employee. - nm

[ In Reply To ..]
X

May not be helping our cause - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
Just remember when talking to our government leaders that it is being pushed for all facilities to have electronic medical records. Since I am a clinic transcriptionist, this is a very big deal. I think offshoring is awful, and I think there are a lot of companies using ICs in maybe a not so correct manner, but I am afraid us complaining to these people about it is just going to make that electronic medical record push harder. Guess maybe this is a good thing for the patient, but not for me the MT.

cause - nan

[ In Reply To ..]
Sorry, but I disagree. The EMR is going to happen or not happen whether we complain or not. Yes, we are worried about our jobs in the transcription field, but it is not just our jobs that are leaving. Companies in general are sending more and more jobs overseas and this in general needs to be stopped. It needs to be made less profitable for companies to continue to do it. You certainly have a right to your opinion, but in my opinion, this country is going down the tubes because people won't get involved in letting our elected officials know that we are not happy with what is going on and demand changes be made. We can all sit around and complain about things like we do here, but we pay our elected officials to do what is right for our country and they are not doing a good job of that and we need to let them know. Again, you can do what you want, but I will continue to write.
EMR - MarineMom
[ In Reply To ..]
Regarding EMR. EVERY single doctor that I have worked for in the last 8 years, or been to, or taken my grandson to, absolutely HATES EMR and wants their MT back. I know that they really don't have a choice, unless they work in "their own" office, but I would think that someone would listen to the doctors who are actually brining the money into the hospitals/clinics?? After doing this job for 8 years, in the last few months this board has made me realize I'm probably not going to be doing this job that I love and fits my personality to a "T" very much longer, and that really saddens me....

US Passport creation is off-shored, too!!!! - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
I was watching CNN at the gym yesterday and they had a segment on this. U.S. Passports are created in the Phillipines!!! They even said there is no way to ensure that fake ones weren't being created and sold to the highest bidder - WTH!!!! They interviewed some yahoo from some governmental department who said they believe safeguards are in place. Yeah, right. We are friggin' doomed! I'm sure they don't think corruption exists in the Phillipines.. WAKE UP USA!!!! How can the government justify outsourcing the most important identification document in our country? Oh yeah, it's because they said "there is no company here in the U.S. that can make them." I call total BS on that one! Folks, we really need to rally together on keeping our country and our information OURS.

I agree..this is ridiculous although not surprising - I heard it was being

[ In Reply To ..]
semi-processed (as in the microchip) in Thailand.

Why would we trust our elected leaders and gov't to help us with outsourcing MT jobs when the federal gov't itself has no problem outsourcing our passports and other supposedly confidential and secure documents. Whatever!

Find link? - I cannot find it.

[ In Reply To ..]
Could you possibly find a link to the CNN story and post it? I cannot find it. It was yesterday?

Found it - myself.

[ In Reply To ..]
Previous post helped. It's Thailand, not Phillipines.
Whooops - - sorry..
[ In Reply To ..]
I was at the gym when I saw the piece on CNN on TV. I didn't have the link and obviously got the country wrong :( - but I knew it wasn't done here LOL

make copies -- send monthly or more. SM - not sick, just tired

[ In Reply To ..]
find more places to send them, and offer them to us! I would send to my state and others, but I have no time or skill to write the damn thing.

Similar Messages:

Every Person Here Should Be Calling Their Congressman And Asking Why
Apr 09, 2013

Its one thing when private business with private equity sends jobs overseas.  It is entirely another when Medicare and Medicaid is supporting job growth in India.  Why are we not emassing in the halls of Congress????   This affects every American, not just MTs. ...

A Letter From A Doctor Friend Of Mine To His Congressman
Apr 18, 2013

The following is from a Facebook post from a physician friend of mine.  This is a letter he sent to his congressman.  I got permission from him to post it here.  Long read, but I feel galvanized by this:    I have been dealing with 2 electronic health record (EHR) systems and it is clear that the technology is not ready for implementation. I feel they will increse cost, decrese access, and decrease quality of care in their current state. I encourage anyone reading thi ...

.......And That's All She Wrote Folks!!!!
Mar 10, 2014

After a buy-out, pay cuts, more pay cuts, lies, PTO that never gets approved, mandatory overtime, working 7 days a week, empty accounts, and finally an accuracy rate of 99.6% (soon to be 99.7%).... many tears, sleepless nights, worrying, and making myself sick - I finally have made the move.... and I'm outta here!!!!!!   And with the new CEO letter that came out today... perfect timing!!   I wish you all well if you stick it out with this miserable company.  I hope ...

Got Out And Wrote A Book!
May 19, 2015

Hi everyone! I had to come here to share the good news.  I've been an MT for 19 years and just got out last November.  I was really getting tired of the way the industry was going, and wrote when the work was slow to none.  I've finally made my dream come true and published on Amazon just today! I hope you don't mind me coming here and sharing this. If I can do this, so can you!  Self-publishing on Kindle Direct Publishing is easy when you follow their guide ...

Here's What I Just Wrote To My Gubernatorial Candidate
Apr 06, 2010

I just wrote Meg Whitman, gubernatorial candidate in California, this letter.   Meg:   As another full-time working woman, please let me ask for your help.    I am only one of thousands of highly trained and experienced American medical transcriptionists being exploited by our company, Medquist, the largest employer of medical transcriptionists.  We are not unionized and so are suffering the relentless, unattainable demands of our employer, and if not met, we are f ...

I Wrote To The USMLE Exam People Today And Asked A
Jul 18, 2013

Namely, why US hospitals are being turned into Towers of Babel because there is no SPOKEN English testing of foreign physicians.   As it is, they only need to be able to read/write English sufficiently well to take the exam, which is a very different thing entirely from being able to speak English. It's passing strange to me that when I'm doing the most difficult work that I do with some of the most abysmal dictators that I deal with, who cannot string 3 English words togeth ...

President's Day
Feb 19, 2014

Didn't realize it would affect my workflow so much. ...

Patient Wrote This On His Chart - Grispang For Ringworm. ?? I Looked On Google And Unless I'm
Dec 14, 2009

x ...

Can't Find Word Doctor Even Wrote It Out Pancreatobiliary Tract??? Ever Heard Of This??
Jun 04, 2010

So Tired Of Everyone, EVEN THE PRESIDENT,
Oct 05, 2012

mixing up the words "offshore" and "outsource."  Outsource is what the hospitals do when they send transcription to M-Modal or whomever.  Offshore is when it goes to our "international labor partners" in India.  Outsourcing jobs we can live with; offshoring is starving us to death.  Get it right already!!!!!!!!! ...

KS Pay Question About President's Day
Feb 12, 2013

We normally get paid on the 17th - but it falls on a Sunday this time, which means we SHOULD get paid 2/18/13.  Got an email that we have to wait until 2/19/13 to get paid now.  I have an email from WAYYYYYYYYYYYY long time ago from the owner that if this happened, we would get paid the previous Friday - anybody else have that email?  Is this legal? ...

My Letter To President O'Bama
Oct 13, 2009

Dear President Obama:How's the new job?  Keeping busy?  Financial security?  I'll bet.  Are the American people keeping the mortgage on the White House up to date?  Great.  Kids have everything they need?  Wonderful.  The American dream.Me?  I lost another job to offshoring - AGAIN!   It's funny, I can't seem to find any concrete figures on just how many U.S. jobs are offshored.  There are only estimations by different a ...

President Obama In India
Nov 08, 2010

While President Obama is touring India, I sure hope he finds our jobs, loads them onto Air Force One, and brings them back to us...along with the wages that we once earned.  Instead though, we'll probably just get T-shirts (made in China) that say "I are a global MT." ...

President's Day On Monday And Softscript
Feb 20, 2011

It means that if you do ACH you get your pay 9 days after you should have gotten your pay.  Think about what that means for your bank account versus what it means for their bank account.  It is significant when multiplied by hundreds of employees.  It means much worse if you get an actual check in the mail. ...

Webmedxers, Did Any Of You Write The CEO, President, Etc. About Things? Sm
May 03, 2011

I have already written them a very "level-headed but concerned" toned email about the way my job has changed. I included the "round-robin" work where we get work from lots of different accounts. I also mentioned that, in my opinion, the new MT director isn't treating people the way she should. All of this is affecting the quality and quantity of our work and will lead to patient error and damage our relations with clients. I mentioned how Webmedx seems to have changed. And then I gave some ...

The President's Speech About Independent Contractors
Jan 25, 2012

The President gave a speech today/yesterday (work the midnight shift so it is still today).  He was talking about the independent contractor thing.  Here is that part of the speech.  Is there any hope for me?   Helping Middle-Class Families Win the Future .....blah....blah....blah.... and then: Ensure Proper Classification of Employees to Protect Benefits.  When employees are misclassified as independent contractors, they are deprived of benefits and protections to w ...

The President Last Night Encouraged CEOs
Jan 29, 2014

to pay their employees more of a living wage. Does anyone think he will listen to the President? ...

Has Anyone Thought About Writing A Letter To The President?
Jun 22, 2014

Not necessarily pen and paper, but I saw where one can email the President.  I don't know if anyone has done this or not regarding the sad state of affairs our profession has become, but it might be worth a try.  I will do it even if no one else does.  I mean, what could it hurt?  Of course, it would be in a respectful way and all.  Otherwise, I will see the men in the dark suits at my door.  I will explain about what it used to be like and then what it has bec ...

President Of AHDI Advises Us To Train As Coders Or In EHR.
Mar 20, 2012

The latest issue of Plexus (MT industry journal) makes reference to the fact that the president of AHDI told a group of MTs to start training either as coders or in some EHR capacity.  Her point is having a broad base is our best bet at keeping/getting a good job in rapidly changing HIM these days. ...