A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Goodbye, AHDI! - earlymusicus

Posted: Jan 13, 2011

When I was a medical transcription student last winter at a local two-year college, most of us students joined AHDI at the encouragement of our instructors.

My membership has expired and in today's mail was a membership renewal request from AHDI.

I tossed it in the trash. I can't afford the membership because I can't get a job because AHDI supports offshoring of medical transcription jobs. Goodbye, AHDI.

Good for you! I wish all American MTs who were - flim-flammed into joining AHDI would quit, too.

[ In Reply To ..]

I agree-- don't be suckered in! - Old and Tired MT

[ In Reply To ..]
I spent 18 years of my life supporting AAMT (now AHDI) with my time and money to obtain and keep my CMT. I wish I had all that time and money back. They did not do one thing that helped me as an MT in all those years. All they care about is getting their money and don't care where it comes from, i.e. all the Indian MTs,sales of their beloved BOS, etc.

MQ equates AHDI with "development of - professional goals"

[ In Reply To ..]
To me, they're just a bunch of double-talking pseudo-intellectual profiteers exploiting American MTs. Never been a CMT, never saw the need for it, certainly never will. A bunch of initials behind your name doesn't prove your worth, but experience and a sterling track record in transcription does.
Amen to that!! - nm
[ In Reply To ..]
x

Great going...if enough MTs stood against AHDI (sm) - Yochana

[ In Reply To ..]
and refused to become certified to pad their pockets I think the issue of having to become certified in order to work would die out (fingers crossed anyway).

That's why those harpies are lobbying in DC - - theyre trying to force us to join. nm

[ In Reply To ..]

Goodbye, AHDI - sc

[ In Reply To ..]
Yes! I'd like to see those bloodsuckers fade away.

Paying dues? - tired of taking a cut in pay

[ In Reply To ..]
How can we pay our dues when most of us make 4 cpl or less in the current MT environment? UGH...I went to one of the ACE conferences, had to rob the piggybank blind for that! Dont get me wrong, I learned a lot of stuff, but it was disappointing stuff - like where are jobs are really going.

What will you do when credentialing is mandatory to work in MT? - TiredMT

[ In Reply To ..]
AHDI is pushing to make transcription have mandatory credentialing, which means that you will have to be an RMT or CMT to work in the transcription industry. This is similar to having to have your RN or CNA. They want to regulate who has access to medical records, and this probably going to pass because HIPAA is such a big deal now, and much more public than in the past. If that happens, I think dues will go even higher but we will have to pay them to be able to licensed as an MT.

AHDI supporting offshore has nothing to do with you not being able to get a job. You can't get a job because the economy is in the toilet and people in all fields are looking for work. Unemployment is at some of the highest levels ever, and that does not include people who have already run out of unemployment benefits.

I'm sorry for your trouble finding a job, but college graduates everywhere are having that problem, with many degrees. My stepson graduated from a prestigious university in May summa cum laude with a bachelor's degree in engineering. He still cannot find a job in his field, almost 8 months later. He has a great personality and a top education, but there are no openings, and when there is one, hundreds of people apply who have 10 to 30 years of experience. He is thinking of going back to school just to ride out the recession.

So don't blame AHDI for not having a job and don't give up; you'll find a job, will get the necessary experience and then will have options. Take the first one you can get to get that all-important experience, and the rest will fall into place.

Credentialing? - Grumpy

[ In Reply To ..]
It is much too early in the morning for me to be reading this. I almost snorted the coffee I was drinking, I was laughing so hard when I read this! Take the first job you can get? Get experience, the rest will fall into place? Too true, unfortunately. Newbies who don't know better, getting hired to do VR at 4 cpl. What about those of us with 20 plus years in this field who have been downsized, outsourced, suffered paycuts, and then shown the door? Everything will fall into place? Yeah right! The only thing falling now is by bank balance. Been looking for new MT gig and no one is biting. Apparently, experienced MTs are no longer desirable in this market. No, I don't blame AHDI alone. But supporting offshoring, that is not at all helpful. They have been fiddling while the industry has been burning.

You wrote: So don't blame AHDI for not having a job and don't give up; you'll find a job, will get the necessary experience and then will have options. Take the first one you can get to get that all-important experience, and the rest will fall into place.

I have never had a problem finding a job and my total pay last year was my highest ever. - 20+ years

[ In Reply To ..]
If you are not making money where you are currently working, you are obviously working for the wrong company. If no one is hiring you, you may need to brush up on your skills.

There is no reason that a good transcriptionist should make less than $50,000 per year. To do this, you need to work hard and smart, not taking calls, having coffeee with your neighbors, taking care of your kids. I am tired of everyone whining about our industry; I love what I do and make a great living. I don't do anything special. I sit down at my desk 5 minutes before I am supposed to start working, work 4 hours, take a lunch break and finish out another 4 hours. I look up words, make sure my reports are accurate and end my day by closing my office door until the next work day.

I am not special; I just do my job and do it well, something everyone should be able to do.
Credentialing - whipworm
[ In Reply To ..]
Help me find one then. I've been transcribing medical and legal for 30 years and 2010 was my worst year ever. 2011 is not panning out so well either. Need a job bad -FT,PT, PRN - ANYTHING!
I took a cut in pay due to no work available to type, sm - jmn
[ In Reply To ..]
I sit at my desk and do exactly as you say, unfortunately, I have lost about $10,000 compared to last year and years before (50,000+) now down in the 40s. I agree that hard work will make you money, but having no work to type isn't a reflection on whether I have been sitting at my desk doing my job or not. As stated, overhiring means the company I work for still gets their money and I get less because there are so many of us now making the lines (cannot make the bucks if someone else is typing the work).

Conspiracy theory of experienced MTs cannot get work - is wrong

[ In Reply To ..]
I have over 30 years experience and don't have any problem whatsoever getting call backs, interviews, or jobs. If you have multiple years experience and you're not getting offers, time to look at what that experience is really saying. I have a well-rounded background and frankly speaking, am a huge asset as an MT to any company. My resume reflects this.

So please don't think just because you have experience there are no jobs. You have to be diligent in your search, network, network, network.

AND re credentialing- it WILL become mandatory in the next few years. Then you'll see the availability of US MTs drop by at least 50% as those MTs who THINK they are great find out they aren't so much.
[sigh] - another poor soul brainwashed by AHDI's - snake-oil salesmen...... so sad, really.
[ In Reply To ..]
x
Huh? - Shirley U. Jest
[ In Reply To ..]
Not a member of AHDI, and tuned into the REALITY of AAMT many years ago. Too many times sat in confidential meetings with TPTB and listened to them try to figure out how to screw MTs. Not at ALL a supporter and so far from brain-washed your response is laughable.

BUT- credentialing will be passed. Just my prediction :)
absolutely we can get work- for minimum wage - NJA Queen
[ In Reply To ..]
MQ right now is hiring newbies at 5 cpl typing and 4 cpl SR. Their logic is to get 2 newbies (or Indians who work for much cheaper) to replace each older experienced MT. They have cut the compensation on SR from 80% down to 60%, reduced the shift differential, make the MTs pay to have QA take a second listen, etc. Every other company just follows along what MQ does. Starting in February everyone hired will be at 8 cpl typing and 4 cpl SR. Its only a matter of time before that is all they pay to anyone. At 4 cpl at 200 lph that is only $8, barely above minimum wage in most states. I don't think that is even close to what experienced MTs are worth. AHDI is not fighting for us, they are fighting against us.
I have right at 20 years' experience SM - Well...
[ In Reply To ..]
and have had many job offers. I am very good at what I do and would be an assest to any company that hired me. However, I refuse to work for 4 cpl and sit without work, or better yet, get shoveled the crappy dictators because I can do them.

AHDI could've gotten just as rich by fighting offshoring - and going to bat for American MTs. -sm

[ In Reply To ..]
Instead, they chose to take the low road.

I hope their bad kharma will do them in, someday.

CMT wont help MTs get a job any more than that BA - is helping your stepson. It aint a magic wand.

[ In Reply To ..]
X

Non-CMT on purpose - SouthernBelle

[ In Reply To ..]
The ONLY reason ADHI would love for everyone to have to be CMT or RMT certified is because they make money off of selling the test. Being a CMT or RMT doesn't mean you'll abide by HIPAA any more than a non-CMT or RMT would. AHDI back when they were AAMT tried to push for everyone to be certified and it didn't work.

Is this true?? - CMB333

[ In Reply To ..]
My impression (as a current MT student) is that AHDI is does not encourage off-shore hiring.

For nearly 2 decades - they have SUPPORTED it

[ In Reply To ..]
So not sure where you got that impression but it's definitely a wrong one. Old board members were instrumental in bringing India on board. And the rest saw the dollar signs.

Nonsense. MTSOs and providers brought offshore - on board. AHDI is just running behind. NM

[ In Reply To ..]
x
MQ and AHDI are bedfellows - Know your facts.
[ In Reply To ..]
In one of the latest lawsuits of MTs against MQ, guilt was admitted by MQ but the award was paid to AHDI, not the MTs. The lawsuit was over MQ tweaking their program slowly over a period of years in order to cut back on the amount they paid the MT. I thought I was paranoid that I was working harder and harder with less and less of a paycheck, but if it weren't for this board, I would have never known that other MQ MTs had the same problem. The judge decided there wasn't enough evidence but MQ admitted guilt. The judgment: MQ paid about $100,000 to AHDI. WHAT THE? I personally lost $70,000 over those years and the money should go back in the pockets of MTs, not AHDI so don't go saying MTSOs and AHDI aren't in cahoots.
That was outrageous, but the industry does not - exist to benefit AHDI. They are just
[ In Reply To ..]
trying to maintain passage on a ship that sails with or without them.
au contraire - BTDT
[ In Reply To ..]
I sat in meetings and heard first hand how they began the plan to sell out the MTs. Don't forget, some of the women who were in the clique at AAMT *were* MTSOs

And now they've got their sights set on CHINA. - Heaven help us all..... n/m

[ In Reply To ..]
x

AHDI USED to be AAMT and they went to India - IMANMT2

[ In Reply To ..]
and certfied Indian MTs at the schools US Companies and a few independents helped set up over there CHEAPER than they would certify US MTs. ARE YOU KIDDING ME? DO THEY SUPPORT IT? HECK, THEY INVENTED IT. Well, they fell in line with it. There is another website that caters to MTs and really, really kickstarted offshore outsourcing.

Alas, as medical transcriptionists we don't really have a voice speaking for us. AHDI is a wider net, they can catch coders and all aspects of health information management and billing. MT just wasn't enough for them.

Actually, they didn't try to hide it. AAMT stood for American Association of Transcription and no, that's not a typographical error. That's transcription not transcriptionIST. Meaning, I don't know, the industry and not the lowly MT. And when I say industry you think... what? MTSOs. BIG MTSOs.

For decades disgruntled MTs have been sick of the "only game in town" (but they have a lovely help desk and 800 numbers and all and a website with flash) and tried repeatedly to build up an organization by MTs, for MTs, and they all fell apart.

You know, fish do a better job of going in the same direction than we do. ;)

Posting separately in case it gets deleted - IMANMT2

[ In Reply To ..]
I was doing a google search one day and came across some dialogue from "the other MT website" I don't know if I can say it on here. It was from 1996. I copied and pasted it into a word document... I save a lot of seemingly meaningless things - then can't find them when I need them. Must be on an old hard drive. Anyway.

It was circa 1996 and vintage rhetoric of that era (although it seems the rhetoric is still plentiful even in the face of fact - MT today, MT offshored today, and WHO is certifying these MTs and who is behind MTIA).

So, I did another google search and came up with this from a year later. Really not as good as that other thread, though.

http://www.mtdaily.com/mt1/world.html

In the year before the postings were more interesting and shocking, now looking back. There is one paragraph that says that she only sees a shortage of MTs and, of course, that was the argument back then to shut the naysayers up.

I think another profession that is being gutted by offshore outsourcing is software development - oh I don't know for large upscale department store chains like you would find in a mall. What was that parade on Thanksgiving? I think the name is different, now. I like parades. With the floats and the balloons. I wonder, if when they bring their Indians over here for training, do they take them to any parades?

I do like the One Day Sale, though.

I FOUND IT ON THE WEB!!!!!!!!!

And the misinformation just don't stop!!!!

http://www.mtdaily.com/mt2/world.html

Similar Messages:

Saying Goodbye
Feb 21, 2013

I was an MT for over 40 years and loved it, first working in physician’s offices, then hospitals, and when hospitals shut down MT department I worked at home. Unfortunately over time, this phased out for me too, as I sat by the hour waiting for work, not making enough to get by. Jobs outside the home were difficult and discriminating, I felt, because of my age. Even retirees as Walmart greeters aren’t so plentiful. Trying to find an answer wasn’t easy with bills piling up and rent o ...

GOODBYE MT/ME
Feb 11, 2015

After nearly 30 years of MT/ME, I have seen this profession circle the drain, going down the proverbial toilet, and I don't even recognize it any more. It's not fun anymore. It saddens me to think how some of the greedy big MT companies totally messed things up for many of us (can you say OUTSOURCING?). True, there are a few that are still making a decent living; consider yourselves very fortunate.  I'm glad I have something else to fall back on and not settle for peanuts.&n ...

I Did It! I Finally Did It! Saying Goodbye To MT! (sm)
Oct 22, 2009

I was notified today that I have been chosen for a job with the local hospital - not doing transcription.  I finally get to say goodbye to no vacation, no sick pay, working 24/7, no pay increase, no recognition for a job well done, having to worry about my own taxes, and just everything that goes along with it, like the lying and back-stabbing from managers *** and owners ***, and having to deal with QA who says they follow BOS, but then makes things up as they go.  Its an 8 to 5 job ...

Goodbye Transcend!
Feb 01, 2011

Well I did it finally.  I quit Transcend.  I hope they will eventually wake up and realize that VR does not enable you to double your production, but I doubt they ever will.  I realized that after they switched all my accounts over, I really cared so little about my accounts and if I was making mistakes that it was time I left.  I felt absoloutely no loyalty to this company anymore.  They don't care about me, why should I care about them.   I am leavi ...

Goodbye DTS...sorry To See You Sell Out.
Jun 30, 2011

I dread this change to Transcend and doubt very highly it will work out at all for me. Good luck to all the MTs. ...

Time To Say Goodbye....
Dec 15, 2011

I lucked upon my first MT position because of a friend.  The clinic where we worked was closing.  I was a nurse and had just found out I was pregnant and she was our office transcriptionist.  Not many places want to hire a pregnant nurse, so doing transcription seemed to be the answer to my prayers.  Just about the time I was ready to go back to nursing.....ooops pregnant again.  So, I stayed doing transcription for eight years (not nearly as long as most of you on here) ...

Goodbye Snowflakes
Jan 01, 2013

See you again in 11 months!  ...

Goodbye Nuance ..
Jan 04, 2013

I'm going back to full-time at M*Modal.  Maybe not the perfect situation, but they pay 25% more, I never run out of work, and I'm always treated with kindness and respect. Nuance reeks.  Goodbye QA losers.  Goodbye hateful supervisors.  I hope you all rot. Maybe I'll even turn you in to the Labor Board for your illegal practices.  Don't think since you are so big you can't hurt.  The bigger they come, the harder they fall.   ...

Goodbye Meridian
Jan 05, 2013

Meridian was probably one of the last MT companies in the industry with integrity.  They had very flexible schedules, above average pay, always plenty of work, wonderful QA, very reasonable expectations, and respect for their employees.  I had hoped to retire there.  It was very comfortable.  The future does not seem as bright now.  Even if this profession does not completely die, companies like Meridian will soon cease to exist.  It was a good run while it las ...

Goodbye - Nuance
Feb 11, 2013

Goodbye Nuance, cant say its been nice. 4 and 8 just aint so great! 5 and 9 is more inline. Every Sunday is just a drag. One weekend a month has more swag. Your QA is awful, degrading and sad, I'm just plain tired of being mad. Every comma, dot and dash, point me ugly e-mails, stealing my cash! I've had enough so farewell and goodbye. I am going to give an American Company a try. ...

Goodbye Nuance
May 02, 2013

Looking back at working for this scum company, you cannot believe how when I get an email from my new company that I shudder to open it because of the almighty fear of Fiesa that was put in me with Nuance.  I hated opening my email from that company.  It was only about my errors from Fiesa or something TL wanted us to do or just griping about who was or was not working their hours, blah, blah, blah.  I hate to admit this to anyone but I even started smoking again just because it was an outlet ...

Goodbye MModal
Jan 29, 2014

I care too much about what we do as MTs to continue working for this company. If you care too, do what I've done...find someplace else to work where integrity, character, and quality really mean something. If you are an MT that cares about what you do, you are too good for MModal. Go somewhere you will be appreciated for your knowledge and expertise in this field. I'm doing it...so can you. ...

My Turn To Say Goodbye
Feb 20, 2014

I have been envying all of you who have already left, and now it is my turn to say goodbye. I regret leaving all the nice people I worked with but do not regret leaving this company.  I give Nuance a 65% quality score as an employer (failed audit, no bonus, needs mentoring!!) Thank you for all who have posted on this forum. Hearing your stories helped me when I was struggling and thought I was alone.  I hope you all find yourselves in a better place soon!! ...

Saying Goodbye To Nuance
Sep 11, 2014

It's time to move on.  There are things I have learned while at Nuance, and I am grateful to have a job when I really needed it, but I am happy to be moving on. I will not miss editing/retyping a whole report for pretty much nothing, I will not miss fiesa, I will not miss MUP, I will not miss having a million log ins for all the different things Nuance has, I will not miss having to switch between screens when typing a report to verify age, gender, location, dr etc, and I will not miss ...

Goodbye Nuance (and MT)!
Sep 25, 2014

Just finished my last shift with Nuance! I have taken early retirement and "hung up" my keyboard and earphones for good.  Had a great time deleting all the Nuance stuff off my computer!  I've been in this business 42 years; downhill the last 10.  I fell into a great opportunity to do sewing alterations for a bridal shop (which I love) and it's paying better than what MT was, with none of the aggravations.  No more timeclock, no more shifts, no more asking for time o ...

Goodbye, Diskriter
Nov 28, 2014

The S-account is fully functional and also going with another vendor as of next week and we got, what was it, 5 days' notice?  We knew it was coming but thanks much (not), Diskriter, for giving us that notice, it being holiday time and all.  Oh well, on to plan B.  Good luck coworkers.  It's my last night tonight, probably my last night transcribing after 38 years.  Can't wait to pack up this company PC and get rid of it.  I could really party if ...

Goodbye M*Modal
Jun 23, 2015

Good morning everyone. I am happy to report that on June 12th I gave my resignation to BR. No 2-wk. notice, and not even 1-day notice. I didn't feel they deserved a 2-wk. notice, afterall, they gave me no notice when they pulled me from an account I'd worked on for years to a "pod" where my pay was severely cut. I am taking 3 wks. off and starting my new job after my 3 wks. off. I'm giving myself a well deserved vacation! I will be doing transcription in-house, among other clerica ...

GOODBYE, SO LONG, AUDIOS!!
Mar 19, 2010

No more going from account to account.  No more nasty QA.  No more pay cuts.  No more VR.  No more off-shoring.  No more testing.  After being in this business for 20 years, no more being told you are not good enough!!!  No more running out of work.  No more sitting at the computer for 10 hours a day for 4 hours worth of work.  No more demands for night and weekend work.  No more OT without OT pay.  No more, no more, no more!  I do not ...

Goodbye MT World, Hello College
Jun 25, 2012

After being an MT for 12 years and wanting to go back to college for the past 2 years, I have finally done it!  I will no longer be an MT as of July 1st, and I couldn't be happier!  I applied and was accepted to WGU and will be getting my BS in Health Informatics. This is a very unique program and my goal is to finish in a year and a half (I had credits transfer in which helps).  Anyone who is interested in going back to college and wants to work in health care with IT, check ...

Just Said Goodbye To Most Of My Accounts With OTI That Went To Mercedes.
Sep 30, 2014

d ...

Goodbye Exclusives - It Has Begun.
Oct 29, 2014

Kiss your exclusives goodbye.  As of right now, I am seeing other people's exclusives and they are seeing mine in their pool as well. The way it works is your exclusives will feed in at the top with higher priority, and then after those, you will see other people's exclusives feeding in at lower priority. So, if someone's exclusives don't dictate one day, or they only dictate a little bit, then that MLS will be all over YOUR exclusives. Yay.  So excited. ...

Goodbye Nuance. And Oh Yeah. You Can SUCK IT. Sm
Oct 21, 2012

I am writing this email to inform you that tonight will be my last night with Nuance Transcription Services. Over my many years in the workforce, I must say this is the first resignation letter I have penned without any sense of melancholy fondness for the job I am leaving behind. No, instead, it is a feeling of liberation from "time served." For the past 7 months, I have put in my time here at Nuance, suffered through many countless hours of horrible voice recognition files, made next to ...

Did Anybody Else Get A Goodbye Letter To The Nuance Family?
Jan 01, 2014

nm ...

Goodbye You Crappy Company. You DON'T Want To Work For Nuance
Nov 22, 2013

I've been gone for a month now.  I feel like bricks have been taken off my chest.  I don't feel the vomit rise in my throat when I checked Fiesa.  I work somewhere else for a little bit less money (about $20 day less), but it is so worth it.  There are companies hiring now. The pay might be a little less than Nuance, but take it.  In other small companies, the people you work for are nice and they care like the company I came from before Nuance.  ...

Just Typed My Last Report Ever And Have Officially Said Goodbye To Nuance - Bitter Sweet
May 07, 2015

Today ends an era of an 18-year career as a medical transcriptionist.  I resigned a couple weeks' back to accept a position outside of the transcription industry.  It is bitter sweet because transcription has been such a huge part of my life and became a part of my way of living.  I won't trash talk Nuance today because it has absolutely no benefit.  After all, I was able to muddle through the changes as well as what I see as unethical policies and procedures and wa ...

AHDI BOS
Dec 04, 2010

What is the most recent AHDI BOS?  Is it the 3rd edition?  What has changed from the 2nd to the 3rd edition.  When will a new edition come out and will it be AHDI? Thanks in advance, Barb ...

What I Want From AHDI
Jun 14, 2012

People ask me what I want from AHDI or if it's worth being a member. I am a member. I ask myself why I still pay my membership dues and what I hope to get in return for that money. That's a tough question. Years ago I learned from their journal. I met lots of great people at conventions and seminars. Then the journal and web site started being more promotional instead of educational or professional. There was always something new that was going to change our lives if we would just sig ...

Thank You AHDI
Sep 10, 2013

MMODAL for taking my profession of being a skilled worker making a living rate, and turning it into a menial, pull them off the street, minimum wage worker. We are the new gutter rats. I have no good will toward this company any longer, and as for AHDI (only a fool joins them), I think you know what you can do, ditto MM. ...

AHDI BOS 3
Oct 10, 2014

I recently began a new position where they adhere to the AHDI Book of Style 3 guidelines.  Obviously, not having used this version before I was not aware one of the wonderful changes AHDI has made.  I understand AHDI exists to set the standards as one of their main objectives.  I also was under the assumption that AHDI had been made up primarily of MTs (at least that is who made them to start with) and has grown to include MTSOs.  What I find so infuriating and baffling at t ...

Here Is My Correspondence With AHDI
Mar 03, 2010

I got this note from a guy named Doggett in response to a note I sent to ADHI about throwing roadblocks in front of MTs to getting work and earning a decent living: "On March 24, AHDI members and staff will go to Capitol Hill to speak with their federal legislators, key members of the House and Senate, and administrative agency officials about the critical need for “meaningful use” and EHR certification regulations to recognize how medical transcriptionists work hard to ensure the a ...