A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Has anyone thought about writing a letter to the President? - Tired

Posted: Jun 22, 2014

Not necessarily pen and paper, but I saw where one can email the President.  I don't know if anyone has done this or not regarding the sad state of affairs our profession has become, but it might be worth a try.  I will do it even if no one else does.  I mean, what could it hurt?  Of course, it would be in a respectful way and all.  Otherwise, I will see the men in the dark suits at my door.  I will explain about what it used to be like and then what it has become, offshoring, crappy voice recognition, etc.  I'm all for electronic medical records, but don't give up the quality of the reports done by dedicated transcriptionists for VR and point-and-click disasters.  The docs that do Dragon where I worked, their reports looked horrible.  Could not make head nor tails of some.  I think I will write the POTUS and see where it goes.  Again, can't hurt.

Do you think letter writing campaign would have help phone - operators way back when? sm

[ In Reply To ..]
Or the ice man, or the guy that lit the street lights? But go ahead and write your letter. Like you said, it can't hurt.

Or, you could use your time wisely in - learning a new field.

[ In Reply To ..]
Just move on! If you could do MT, you are smart enough to learn something else!

The problem is not that patient care is suffering because of VR or point and click. It is that you have hit on this idea to support your interest in turning back the clock to the way things were.

There are many things you could do that would use your knowledge. Why not find something to learn so that you can get a better job?

Good advice if one is 35, not worth much if - one is almost 65.

[ In Reply To ..]
Getting more education is a good thing, but in terms of getting a new job as a senior, it's too much of a longshot to risk my money on.

Oh I have written the President many times! sm - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
You can write him and I got responses but probably not from him. The responses were websites to go to help me get a job.

I told him about outsourcing and how it cost us our jobs, etc. I don't write anymore and they don't send me emails about news, etc. I decided I had enough and asked them to stop. But you can actually write to the White House!

Good luck!

Not only can you write the White House, I called the - White House myself

[ In Reply To ..]
When New Orleans was hit by Katrina I sat here day after day with the TV on watching the misery caused. This lasted about a week and Friday morning I called the White House. My thoughts were if the US could drop food and water to countries from helicopters or planes, then why not our own country? It was extremely early, supposed got the WH switchboard and then I typed up and faxed a letter there. I never got a reply of any kind (during last Bush admininstration) but I just could not stand by and fill my throat almost closing on me and not say how I felt about the people's situation there.

so bottom line is you got nowhere calling/writing. - but sure felt good. NM

[ In Reply To ..]
and that sucks.
Actually, was not as bad as you are thinking it - was
[ In Reply To ..]
More than anything else I got it off my chest and that felt good for me. I really never expected someone to answer the call and put me thru, just like I never expected a response to my letter but like I said, good for me to say what I wanted.

You know, you're right - just think

[ In Reply To ..]
if all the employees at the buggy-whip factories had just written to the president, the tide of technology would have been stopped in its tracks, we'd all be riding around in horse-drawn carriages, and all the buggy-whip makers would still have their jobs just exactly the way they always were.

This is exactly why I don't post much on here... - Tired

[ In Reply To ..]
I had an honest idea and was asking for an opinion, not spouting my right-wing or left-wing thoughts. The only thing this post had to do with politics is I mentioned the President. Thank you to those that didn't have negative things to say. To the others, thanks for nothing.

I have heard he chooses a letter to respond - to every day

[ In Reply To ..]
I will give it a go one day if I ever get the time.

I am frankly amazed at so many people who think our profession is dying, yet who seem to have so much time to spend telling people to get out of our profession on our professional board.

What's with that, anyway? I know if I thought this profession was so bad and found myself a new one, this is the last place I would be hanging around telling people to get out. Very suspect, IMHO.

I have a second MT job which is from another country. That country consistently rates better than the US in many social issues and standard of living, health care, etc. I get paid more by that one and it is straight typing.

So maybe this talk of being obsolete might not be happening as quickly as so many seem to want it to? Honestly, I don't know, but I do think ours is a profession worth saving and may not be as hopeless as many seem to think.
I think a lot of us who are out of MT come back - out of curiosity. (sm)
[ In Reply To ..]
We know the field is dying. The only question now is when it takes its last breath. I come back to see how it all goes down. To see what kind of lies and spin the MTSOs come up with, and to hear about how other MTs got out, or what they're doing after being out. I've also been very interested in the Nuance lawsuit, and how that will all play out.
I would probably do that too - to look that is - but NOT to chicken little
[ In Reply To ..]
This stuff about the end of times! and get out while you can! is what is suspect to me and frankly annoying.

If it is such a dire profession and headed down the tubes (we all know our work situations have become pretty unacceptable, but then many of us don't have a lot of choices), let us losers find out for ourselves.

Some have made it out and somehow think everyone now has to quit and find something else. This job is still a job and is still better than other jobs, especially when you are limited by where you live and other modifiers.

So I have no objection to people coming here "out of curiosity" - I just wish all the admonitions about better run, better get out, etc., would stop.

If the end of MT times is this year, like so many people have been saying (for the last 10 years), I hope then, if we are completely automated or completely offshored, we might at least be able to finally be given uncontested UE for six months and that, to me, is worth holding out for rather than quitting and working for McDonald's.
So what exactly do you consider to be a reason - for staying in MT? It seems - S/M
[ In Reply To ..]
there are little to no reasons these days. Could you in good conscience recommend this dying field to a naive newbie/wannabe? I sure couldn't.

And it IS dying. It's not happening slowly enough for some, or fast enough for others. But it's creeping inexorably along, just like the San Andreas Fault. Every so often, there is a jolt, but it never goes back in the direction from which it came. Just slowly, inevitably, forward towards the next catastrophe.
Oh no, I could not recommend it - I can only give my reason
[ In Reply To ..]
Despite the fact that my salary has been halved, it is still more than I could make in the outside world where I live right now.

Living in the one horse town where I ended up, if I did get any job it would be half an hour away with the costs of transportation, clothes, and the salaries are abysmal, meaning I would be probably making even less than I am with MT.

The tradeoff would be paid holidays and maybe some self respect, but I have really never had a "real" job that didn't involve working with some jerks, and that's another perk of this one.

I wish I had more choices, I wish there were tons of jobs out there that paid as well or better for our distinct set of skills, but I think we all know they don't exist.

So all these posters egging others to leave this profession kind of bug me (not you, obviously).

Sometimes I wonder if people get paid to post these, I do know there are sites offering that you can get paid a couple of cents per post or more, and pardon my paranoia, but wouldn't it suit the MTSOs to creepily get in there and try to nudge us out the door so they don't have to pay UI or justify their offshoring?

I am going to do some more research and find out of that is why there seems to be really a lot of these posters on here lately urging people to get out and get out fast, learn something new, don't be a burden on the unemployment, blah blah, etc. Frankly, the reasons they give of trying to "help" and "warn others" just don't ring true to me.
Some come back to help others get out - Also got out years ago
[ In Reply To ..]
I got out years ago, but come back to help others get out and to discourage wannabees from pursuing this. Now, though, it has become a waste of time. the ones who were going to get out have gotten out. With the exception of an increasing number of hospital employees who must have had their head in the sand and got blindsided by the whole concept of EHRs, it seems that most of those remaining think they are too old or that they don't have any marketable skills, or they hate being around other people in a workplace, or they waited so long they are now destitute, or they want to be fired so they can collect unemployment. It all speaks for itself.

If I ever get out of here - I will never be back to this site
[ In Reply To ..]
I won't even want to THINK about MT when I'm gone (24 months, God willing).
Well, then - waste of time for you
[ In Reply To ..]
We obviously are not deserving of your "help" so I hope you can find greener pastures somewhere to partake of your wisdom.

It does speak for itself. Again, if I escaped and thought this was such a horrible profession, I would never be caught dead spending hours on this board trying to advise us dummies.
I got let go in my sixties, and in all honesty, - sm- Manual Typewriter Original
[ In Reply To ..]
I'm enjoying it. I do odd jobs on the side, and am getting by. I'm still looking for and applying for work, but the writing on the wall there is that no one seems to want a 62-year-old new employee, regardless of skill set.

For that reason, I think Unemployment should only have a limited run for younger recipients. If a company is going to fire a senior, then that senior should be eligible for LIFETIME unemployment benefits. It might make some companies think twice about laying off good, hard-working seniors just because of their age, their higher pay rate, or their seniority on the job.
62 is nothing- phooey, baloney on what you - said
[ In Reply To ..]
Might be the "I'm over the hill" attitude that is doing it for you. I got the present job I now have (am 71 at this time) at probably around 65 or a little over. Age never has played a part with me.
I think you're right. At 62, she might want/need to work for 10 more years. - nm
[ In Reply To ..]
x
62 is nothiing- - If you are 71
[ In Reply To ..]
and got your job at 65 that was 6 years ago. Unfortunately the job market has changed drastically over the last 6 years. How many new accounts have the MTSO taken over during that period of time. How many other changes have been made in the employment world during that time? If you have been there 6 years, then you have not experienced what the poster has looking for a job.
Seriously, the market has not changed that - dramatically, read older postings here
[ In Reply To ..]
You would see the same thing over and over and over, the age issue, the lack of work issue and others. I have read these postings for years now. They do not change. I have lost 2 jobs to outsourcing, one in my 40s, one in my 50s and another job I quit in my 60s. You do not have to put down your age so how do people know how old you are and it has never mattered in my case.
Why do people think that their own experience - is the same for everyone?
[ In Reply To ..]
It works for me, therefore, it must work for you. Bah!

What can he do? Commiserate? No law has - been broken.

[ In Reply To ..]
We, for the most part, are independently contracting, self-employed business associates. (Yes, we are basically treated like employees with shift work, required to use certain tools, and are given stringent rules to follow and told how to conduct our work/business and when. Technically, we should be considered employees - complain to the department of labor/hour and wage board but get your whistle ready.) It's like the roofer or carpenter who underbids the job and loses money. Too many of those and he isn't in business anymore.

Unfortunately, if the majority choose to work for free or nearly free and under ridiculous conditions... there is no law against it and the MTSOs would be nuts to pay more money since they obviously don't have to, and there isn't anything anybody can do about it.

They are having their cake and eating it, too. We used to know what that felt like. :) People are able to post jobs for 6.5 or 5 cents per line and not be embarassed about it and actually make a very decent living sub subcontracting. You can get an American now, where you used to only could get an Indian and all that that entailed. You can double your money and if you hire enough, if someone slacks/flakes you can cover it. Very, very shrewd. It's nickel and dime but it adds up to $. You only need a few accouns at 9 cpl or so and enough PT MTs to do the work. You double your income. The changing face of medical records documentation. I don't think they like call us MTs anymore.

Well, that's one of the problems. The laws - should be changed. (nm)

[ In Reply To ..]

I emailed Obama and he took care of the problem - Nancy

[ In Reply To ..]
I did not go into a lot of detail about the MT situation, but did explain the financial hardship and how IRS attached my disability for taxes owed in a previous year. Explained all I did to communicate with IRS, how you could NOT get a human on the phone, how I set up an auto debit to my checking account for $25. per month (all I could afford) and how they completely ignored that and continued to add penalties for non-payment, refusing to accept what I could afford. A month later I got a call from a supervisor with IRS, first very nice person to talk to, who said that Obama ordered the lien against my disability check removed and they would like to do an installment agreement for what I can afford to pay. This was about 9 months ago and I've had no problems with them since. Before this it dragged out for over a year without resolution.

I am so glad your issue was taken care of - Also wrote higher up 1 time and got help myself

[ In Reply To ..]
Years ago my step-grandchildren came to live at my home for 2 years. Their grandfather died (my husband), they went to live elsewhere and eventually picked up by DFACs. I tried to see them, could not so wrote the governor's office and within about a week had numerous calls helping me out all because of my letter. Sometimes it helps to go to the top. You did, I did.

Similar Messages:

My Letter To President O'Bama
Oct 13, 2009

Dear President Obama:How's the new job?  Keeping busy?  Financial security?  I'll bet.  Are the American people keeping the mortgage on the White House up to date?  Great.  Kids have everything they need?  Wonderful.  The American dream.Me?  I lost another job to offshoring - AGAIN!   It's funny, I can't seem to find any concrete figures on just how many U.S. jobs are offshored.  There are only estimations by different a ...

Direct Action Letter Writing Campaign For
May 18, 2012

MT Week (that begins Sunday) and what working MTs actually bring to "patient safety." Let us take meaningful action today and this weekend to regain MT Week as a week that TRULY recognizes the working MT. Ship Letters to the Editor off electronically and by snail mail to your local papers for publication in their print and online editions. AHDIs theme this year is "patient safety" in case you didn't know. What a joke and so self-serving! How about a theme of "The MTSO How-To Guide To Ensu ...

Direct Action Letter Writing Campaign
May 20, 2012

It looks like I will be the 1st to post a letter to the editor that is going out. I will be hitting everywhere from the East Coast to the West coast and everywhere in between! Read on and feel free to edit for your own letters. Medical Transcriptionist Week (MT Week) began this past Sunday, May 20, 2012. The idea is to recognize and reward MTs over the course of a single week. The theme this year is Patient Safety. MTs all across the country, and in fact, around the world are transcribing your ...

Writing Letter Of Apology To Client On Behalf
Jul 11, 2013

I have decided that I am going to write a letter directly to my account. I want to apologize to them for the decreased quality of my work and the potential negative impact that it might have on patient care.  (We are afterall told constantly how we need to improve) I plan on touching base on the increased demand for more lines per hour and how it negatively impacts our accuracy.  Also, the decrease in our pay and how that has forced us to produce more and more  ...

Direct Action Letter Writing Campaign Mt Week
May 22, 2012

By the way you have me mixed up with someone else who wrote a LTTE. The post you critiqued was the first draft of this particular letter. Thanks again for your constructive criticism. I loved it!  Version 2 and I'm sure you'll enjoy it even more than you enjoyed Version 1 Medical Transcriptionist Week began May 20th to recognize MTs over a week. The theme this year: Patient Safety. MTs across the country are transcribing medical records and are dedicated to being a 1st-line d ...

MS WORD HELP. Will Not Begin Sentence With First Letter In All Caps Anymore, Also The Letter "
Dec 20, 2009

A few weeks ago, for no reason that I can find, I cannot get the first letter of a sentence to be in all caps automatically, (unless I do it manually.)  The same for the letter " I " by itself when typed.   It was always automatic and now all of a sudden it is doing this and I cannot figure out how to change it back. Has anybody else had this problem, if so, how did you fix it? Thanks, appreciate the help ...

President's Day
Feb 19, 2014

Didn't realize it would affect my workflow so much. ...

So Tired Of Everyone, EVEN THE PRESIDENT,
Oct 05, 2012

mixing up the words "offshore" and "outsource."  Outsource is what the hospitals do when they send transcription to M-Modal or whomever.  Offshore is when it goes to our "international labor partners" in India.  Outsourcing jobs we can live with; offshoring is starving us to death.  Get it right already!!!!!!!!! ...

KS Pay Question About President's Day
Feb 12, 2013

We normally get paid on the 17th - but it falls on a Sunday this time, which means we SHOULD get paid 2/18/13.  Got an email that we have to wait until 2/19/13 to get paid now.  I have an email from WAYYYYYYYYYYYY long time ago from the owner that if this happened, we would get paid the previous Friday - anybody else have that email?  Is this legal? ...

President Obama In India
Nov 08, 2010

While President Obama is touring India, I sure hope he finds our jobs, loads them onto Air Force One, and brings them back to us...along with the wages that we once earned.  Instead though, we'll probably just get T-shirts (made in China) that say "I are a global MT." ...

President's Day On Monday And Softscript
Feb 20, 2011

It means that if you do ACH you get your pay 9 days after you should have gotten your pay.  Think about what that means for your bank account versus what it means for their bank account.  It is significant when multiplied by hundreds of employees.  It means much worse if you get an actual check in the mail. ...

Wrote My Senators, Congressman, AND The President
Jun 15, 2010

Well, we will see what kind of response I get back.  I'm not expecting much, but I thought it was high time i did my part in contacting my representatives and the White House about the sad state of OUR union :) ...

Webmedxers, Did Any Of You Write The CEO, President, Etc. About Things? Sm
May 03, 2011

I have already written them a very "level-headed but concerned" toned email about the way my job has changed. I included the "round-robin" work where we get work from lots of different accounts. I also mentioned that, in my opinion, the new MT director isn't treating people the way she should. All of this is affecting the quality and quantity of our work and will lead to patient error and damage our relations with clients. I mentioned how Webmedx seems to have changed. And then I gave some ...

The President's Speech About Independent Contractors
Jan 25, 2012

The President gave a speech today/yesterday (work the midnight shift so it is still today).  He was talking about the independent contractor thing.  Here is that part of the speech.  Is there any hope for me?   Helping Middle-Class Families Win the Future .....blah....blah....blah.... and then: Ensure Proper Classification of Employees to Protect Benefits.  When employees are misclassified as independent contractors, they are deprived of benefits and protections to w ...

The President Last Night Encouraged CEOs
Jan 29, 2014

to pay their employees more of a living wage. Does anyone think he will listen to the President? ...

President Of AHDI Advises Us To Train As Coders Or In EHR.
Mar 20, 2012

The latest issue of Plexus (MT industry journal) makes reference to the fact that the president of AHDI told a group of MTs to start training either as coders or in some EHR capacity.  Her point is having a broad base is our best bet at keeping/getting a good job in rapidly changing HIM these days. ...

Writing Prn
Jan 13, 2015

what is the correct way to write prn? I seen it as prn, PRN, and p.r.n.? ...

Technical Writing- SM
Oct 05, 2010

Does anyone know about the field of technical writing?  It seems like it would be a logical next step for us.  Just wonder if anyone knows how hard it would be to get into that field, do you get to work at home, and so on.  I'm 50 years old and wonder if its just too late for a career change, but doing this MT/editing stuff for the next 15 years. . . ???? ...

Who Is Writing An Essay
Apr 24, 2012

I don't write essays very well, but this could get interesting. I'm mostly interested in the "How I Do It" essay. Maybe I could learn how to do this more efficiently...I don't particularly want to be mentored, so reading an essay might give me some better ideas. ...

Writing Times
May 08, 2012

Doctor dictated: Start time: 03/21/2012, 091446. What would be the correct way to write the time portion? ...

I Think The Writing Is On The Wall For Me
Dec 04, 2012

Okay, so I know what has been happening the past few months, but since it didn't affect me directly, I just kinda put it out of my mind.  But since the first of the month, my BOB is out of work during my shift (late afternoon/early evening).  This has never happened before.  Wondering if it is because daytime people are switching to later hours or my work is going overseas?  Not NJA yet, just unfamiliar work for the majority of my shift.  If this is how it's go ...

Writing A Number
Sep 16, 2014

Okay doctor states "white count is 13.8 thousand"  Any input on how that should be written?  Looks so strange to me.  Thanks peeps :) ...

Writing Out Gravida, Para
May 24, 2010

Doctor says:  G2, P2-0-0-2. How would it be written out? Do I have the format correct, or would it be: G2, P 2-0-0-2? ...

DocQScribe 6.1 - The Writing Is On The Wall!
Sep 03, 2010

I just took the online training today and did my first reports using 6.1.  The writing is definitely on the wall.  They are on their way to eliminating the need for MT's.  It's just a matter of time.  We are tightening our own noose every time we edit one of those reports.  This is definitely a catch-22. ...

Writing Axis Numbers
Dec 05, 2011

is  it six o'clock axis or 6 o'clock axis and then what is the correct way of 6:30 o'clock axis or six-thirty o'clock axis or is it 6:30 axis or six-thirty axis?????  Whew!!! ...

Would Someone With Writing Skills Please Create A -sm
Mar 04, 2015

descriptive narrative for the MTs who have or will be leaving this company, to go along with the ones we recieve when the VP and such leave.  I mean really..we need to be ackowledged for our committment, dedication, accomplishments, etc.  Sarcasim is encouraged! ...

When Writing A Medication List Do I Put Commas?
Aug 26, 2010

When writing a medication list do I put commas? 1. Xanax 1 mg dispensed #64 sig one tablet three times a day no refills. 2. Prozac 40 mg #30 sig one tablet daily no refills. 3. Stelazine 2 mg #60 sig one tablet twice a day with no refills. ...

Company Unwilling To Put Compensation In Writing
Dec 17, 2011

Nuance is stating that they are unable to put their new compensation/incentive program in writing because it is "propriety information." Is that even legal? Don't you have the right to have your compensation in writing? ...

Blank S/l Writing, Riding, Raggeding ??
Jan 05, 2013

He has been _________ down his diabetes in a staggered fashion now and is doing fairly well there. He comes in with a high blood pressure which is improved after repeat check. ...

Hey, Forget All You Guys, I Am Writing Me One Heck Of An Essay.
Mar 22, 2010

Hey, MQ, Oh I love FRT this week, but after April 2, 2010 all bets are off baby!!!!!    I love FTR.  I love it.  No really.  I do.  I like it because, um, it is like a bright shiny star in the sky.  Or, um, maybe, I like it because it rolls like a bowling ball!!  Yeah!! That's the ticket!  Rollin along with FTR, like a bowling ball, like a pool ball, like the big blue ball that is earth, like the round ball classic, like the wheels on an 1 ...