A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Lines/spaces question - EJ

Posted: Apr 11, 2013

I do not get paid for spaces and I am wondering how many more lines per day I would get if spaces were included.  If I type 1200 lines without spaces included in the line count, what would be a rough estimate on how many that would be if spaces were included?

lines/spaces - mtic

[ In Reply To ..]
guessing quite a bit. if you average 14 words per line (with same amount of spaces as words), that's 16,800, and divide by 65 character line it equals 258

My experience - is

[ In Reply To ..]
about 15% to 20% more, and that would depend on whether or not you use 2 spaces after a period and whether or not the count included headers and footers.

No pay for spaces, REVOLT - 2bz2sleep

[ In Reply To ..]
I do not think anybody should accept jobs like these. If we do, that is saying it is OK to not get paid for work we do. We hit that spacebar just like any other key. Or do they want their work to look like:Thepatientcameintotheofficetodaycomplainingofchestpainandindigestion.

They are ripping you off. Shoot, I pay for headers/footers, headings (2 characters for bold, underlining, page number, etc., and normals, and I set that up. It just is not ethically moral.

I think it's about 6 spaces per line...sm - Old Anon

[ In Reply To ..]
That's an extra 7200 characters divided by 65 and would be an extra 110 lines. If it's 8, it would be an extra 9600 characters divided by 65 which would be an extra 148 lines. By rights, your line rate should be just a bit higher when not being paid with spaces to compensate. What's your line rate without spaces? If my math is screwy, please feel free to jump in.

My line rate is... sm - EJ

[ In Reply To ..]
8 cents/line without spaces. UGH

How many characters per line, 55 or 65 or some other? - sm

[ In Reply To ..]

Accentus used to not pay for spaces (they're now part of Nuance), but it was on a 55-character line, so essentially equivalent to a 65-char line with spaces.

http://www.mtstars.com/c-I-39ve-always-heard-sm-58390.html

http://forum.mtstars.com/391186.html

Similar Messages:

65-char. With Spaces Excluding Blank Lines
Dec 06, 2010

I was offered a job by The Transcription Doctors, Inc. with the pay being 8cpl or 3cpl for editing, 65-characters with spaces excluding blank lines.  My question is ... Is the excluding blank lines part normal or is that super cheap of them?  I know 3cpl for editing is already cheap...Do most companies include even blank lines?  I hope someone knows...Thank you. ...

Lines Based On Characters With No Spaces, Throughts?
Jul 19, 2013

I just got a transcription job and am being paid with Word Count characters without spaces. I was told I would be making 9 cpl but when I figure out the spaces, it's around 7 cpl. Your thoughts on this please. Thanks. ...

Line Counts - When Figuring Lines, Do Most People Include Spaces?
Jul 24, 2012

When figuring lines, do most people include spaces? ...

10 Cpl With No Spaces, Is That A Good Wage Or No? I Have Always Been Paid With Spaces, Thx, Nm
Jun 03, 2011

nm ...

Does Anyone Know What 0.08 Line Without Spaces Equals Out To With Spaces?
Nov 25, 2010

Does anyone know what 0.08 line without spaces equals out to with spaces? ...

Escription - 250 Line Count Minimum - Median Lines Or Average Lines?
Dec 20, 2014

Does anybody know which column companies look at to decide if you are meeting the minimum 250 requirement in Escription? When I look at the metrics there are 2 columns...median lines per hour and average lines per hour. ...

Is It True That FOCUS, Only Counts Half Of Your Lines When Calculating VR Lines?
Jan 30, 2012

if you make 4 cents per line at 1000 lines a day, they really calculate it at 500 lines per day x 4 cents, making it really 2 cents per line for the full 1000.   I heard this, and I am really interested in knowing if it is true. ...

Told Nuance Was Overcharging For Lines, Now Lines Drastically Reduced
May 02, 2012

My main account was a good one, and the lines were very good, mostly ER work. I have been on this account for over a year and a half now. We recently received an e-mail stating that Nuance had discovered that the line count was charging incorrectly, as instituted by them, and they had been crediting us with MORE lines than we were actually doing and overcharging the client. Now get this, they informed us that they would not make US pay it back, for their mistake, but that our new lines would re ...

TransTech Lines - Required Hours But Are Short Lines?
Jun 10, 2011

What do you do when you have the required hours but are short lines? I got an email that I need to "make plans to have my shortage made up." The only problem is that I'm up to date with my hours for the pay period so far. The other problem is that I have plans Saturday night and Sunday (both being my scheduled time off) that don't include TransTech. It's getting harder and harder to defend this company when they can't hold up their end of the agreement and continually ...

TransTech Lines - How Many Lines Do You Average During The Day/week?
Jan 19, 2011

Just wondering if the TT MTs would like share ... how many lines do you average during the day/week?  I'm doing about 9,000 to 10,000 a week and wonder if I should be pushing myself more.  How much of your count is VR?  I do probably 15% traditional and 85% VR but that, of course, varies week to week.   ...

Custom Lines Versus Standard Lines
Jan 08, 2013

Which do you use - custom lines - 65 character lines with spaces or standard lines - seems like so much more for standard lines????   Cathy ...

Are MS Word Lines The Same As Medquist Lines?
Jan 18, 2011

I am having a discrepancy issue with lines....wondered if MS Word and Medquist use a different number of characters per line.  Thanks.... ...

TransTech Lines - How Many Lines Do You Average Per Day
Jul 13, 2011

How many lines do you average per day - VR and traditional?  I know it's been VERY slow lately, but when things are going well, how many lines do you normally get? I'm trying to figure out where the average numbers are.  For me, I do about 350 trad and about 1400 VR in 8 hours. Well, my timesheet says 8 hours, but my clock says that number MAY(!) be a little higher.  Again, these are numbers I pull when things are going well and I'm not waiting for work to download. I'v ...

Without Spaces
May 31, 2010

How are you supposed to be able to count characters without spaces? This just seems odd to me.  Guess you learn something new every day. ...

Pay For Spaces
Sep 15, 2010

Does anyone know if Diskriter, Amphion, Etransplus pay for spaces?  Need help asap so I can accept or reject offer.  Thanks in advance. ...

Pay Without Spaces Is...?
Jan 10, 2011

If a position offers pay without spaces, would that pretty much cut pay in half when compared to pay with spaces? ...

Does Acusis Pay For Spaces, Or Only By VBC?
Nov 21, 2009

X ...

Just Saw A New Ad ... .07 Cpl, Without Spaces, IC, No Benefits And Want (sm)
Jan 16, 2010

Five years experience and especially experience in basic 4.  Surely you jest! ...

5 Cpl/43 Vbc Only = About 6 Cpl/65 Char W/spaces...sm
Apr 16, 2010

and the explanation is that they are trying to compete with other companies who pay their MTs 2 cpl.  Has anyone seen any companies who pay 2 cpl?  sad, sad, sad... ...

K&R Consulting Don't Pay For Spaces?
May 02, 2010

Does anyone know anything about K&R, other than they don't pay for spaces?  Do they pay more per line to compensate?  I was thinking about picking up some extra work and have done VA work in the past, so was just wondering.  Thanks. MJ ...

Who Uses Two Spaces After Punctuation Other Than Me?
Sep 07, 2010

I was reading and found it is okay to use one space after punctuation.  This is going to be a hard habit to break.  I am old school and was taught to use two spaces after punctuation in typing class.   Thanks for any comments.   Mel ...

Does It Matter If There Are 2 Spaces After A
Sep 08, 2010

this one of those fabulous things that is taken care of on the back-end?  That would save me a few strokes.  ...

Does Anyone Know What 8 Cpl W/O Spaces Is Comparable To?
Nov 12, 2010

TIA :-) ...

VBC Pay Versus With Spaces Pay
Jun 15, 2011

What would 4.4 cents editing VBC average out to if compared to transcribing with spaces? ...

NOT GETTING PAID FOR SPACES
Jan 22, 2011

Ithinkitisnotfairtonotpayforthespacebarkey!! ...

Escription Pay For Spaces
Mar 21, 2011

I was wondering if there is someone who could answer a question about Escription.  I am currently an Escription editor and do not get paid spaces.  Does anyone know if this is true with all Escription accounts, or if it is a company-specific thing?  TIA! ...

Does SoftScript Pay For Spaces? Nm
Jul 15, 2011

x ...

How Can You Tell If You Are Not Being Paid For Spaces?
Jul 20, 2011

but now I can't find it.  Thanks.  ...

Keystrokes - Does KS Pay For Spaces, Etc?
Jan 26, 2012

Does KS pay for spaces, etc?  Any info is appreciated good, bad or ugly.  TIA! ...

Does Synernet Pay For Spaces?
Jun 05, 2012

Just curious, I'm trying to decide between a few companies and I totally forgot to ask the interviewer.  I think the whole VBC thing is criminal.  It's bad enough not being paid for all of the research, demographics and CCs we do, but to not pay for characters that we actually type just because they don't print out in black and white is OUTRAGEOUS!!!  ...