A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

NOT GETTING PAID FOR SPACES - kim

Posted: Jan 22, 2011

Ithinkitisnotfairtonotpayforthespacebarkey!!

to Kim - Frustrated

[ In Reply To ..]
Youhavetherightidea.Weshoudplaytheirgame.Itwouldsaveourthumbs!!!

By character pay can be figured to pay more for characters - than would be paid for characters in sm

[ In Reply To ..]
a job where you get paid for spaces. Say you get paid 0.1 cent per character in a 65 count line with spaces. In a job that doesnt pay for spaces, it can be configured to pay 0.1.5 cent per character in a 56 count line with no spaces. Clear as mud, huh? Maybe someone else can explain it better.

But must say, not many MTSO pay the extra. Most pay VBC - on a 65 char. line with no spaces. nm

[ In Reply To ..]
x
Really? I thought VBC was the less common way - There Is a Hole in my SpaceBar
[ In Reply To ..]
How do you know "most" MTSO pay that way?
No, what I meant was of the MTSOs that pay VBC, most do - it on 65 chara line and dont SM
[ In Reply To ..]
figure it with a higher rate paid per character and on a 56 chara line. But all you have to do is ask and will be told how you are getting paid, but of course, you did this before you hired on, right?
"MOST" don't - just the skeevy ones! IMHO (nm) - hecknojoe!
[ In Reply To ..]
asdf
What in the world do you mean? Do you have any idea what - post that you seem SM
[ In Reply To ..]
to be replying to is saying? It is scary to think that some posters work with words when they seem to have trouble understanding them.
here's your definition - - hecknojoe!
[ In Reply To ..]
from disgusting or distasteful; nasty, sleazy

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/skeevy

i know EXACTLY what it means and I meant what I said - disagree if you like but don't start word wars with me because i can back my words up missy
Missy?? ROFL - Really?? nm
[ In Reply To ..]
x
Not talking about the word, talking about the entire - post. Seems rather irrelevant. nm
[ In Reply To ..]
x
this whole tiff is irrelevant, subject is VBC. - justsayin NM
[ In Reply To ..]
x

you must have accepted the Teletrak position? (nm) - hecknojoe!

[ In Reply To ..]
asdf

VBC and VR - xmtso

[ In Reply To ..]
When you are negotiating pay (if you're an IC) for a new transcription gig, make sure you negotiate an HONEST VBC for straight transcription. You should be paid MORE than the 7-9 cpl generally being paid.

HOWEVER

If you are doing VR and being told you will not be paid for spaces, there *IS* some logic in that. You aren't putting the spaces in more often than not. If a document has 10 spaces per line, includes 40 lines, that's 400 spaces. However, you're READING 90% of that document. So you need to negotiate a VBC rate for VR that is fair to both you and the service.

Personally, I think we should be paid per keystroke! - NKC

[ In Reply To ..]
Data entry clerks are paid per keystroke, why shouldn't we be? That is what we do --- stroke keys all day long. They could count all key strokes except the back space and delete keys, and the cursor movement keys.

It's not about what prints out on the paper, it's about the workout our hands get on the keyboard every day. I've been in this biz for 20 years and have been fairly lucky with respect to carpal tunnel and other repetitive injuries, but I'm getting older now and all those thousands of miles my hands have ran across the keyboard are starting to catch up to me. I have got arthritis. I have developed carpal tunnel that has starting getting worse rather rapidly since I took on a second job, and have neck and shoulder arthritis and spasms.

When MTSOs starting doing crap like stop paying for spaces, it's like telling a marathon runner after the cross the finish line that for every mile they ran, they are going to be deducted a half mile, so they need run farther to make up the difference.

It is a bunch hooey!

Not me baby! - ShortcutShirley

[ In Reply To ..]
I often type a few keystrokes and get paragraphs of text, so NO THANK YOU for this lame-brained idea!

This would only work if you didnt use an expander. - nm

[ In Reply To ..]
x

Not necessarily... - SM

[ In Reply To ..]
I get paid by the keystroke, but they count shortcut expansions as though they were typed manually.
Thank you! I guess some people need everything spelled out for them. - NKC
[ In Reply To ..]
For the purpose of medical transcription, a keystroke is defined literally and figuratively. Meaning that each printed character on a page constitutes a keystroke and each literal stroke of a key constitutes a keystroke -- ommitting of course the backspace, delete, and cursor movement keys as I stated in my earlier post.

I would hardly call the concept of paying per keystroke as a "lame brain idea." It actually makes perfect sense in relation to what we do for a living.

thank you - kim

[ In Reply To ..]
First of all, I was really so surprised to receive so many responses. I actually meant my post to be a little FUNNY. I also use expanders. I just thought it looked funny and actually is a selling point as to why we should be paid for the spacebar. Thanks again for all he responses and sorry to the ones that found this irrelevant.

Kim - in my experience, - How VBC works out

[ In Reply To ..]
On a 65-character line, VBC works out to be almost exactly 2 cpl less than being paid for spaces. When my company went VBC per the client's request, we all got a 2 cpl raise. When I calculated this on my usual 2,000 lines per day, it worked out to be the same.

Similar Messages:

10 Cpl With No Spaces, Is That A Good Wage Or No? I Have Always Been Paid With Spaces, Thx, Nm
Jun 03, 2011

nm ...

How Can You Tell If You Are Not Being Paid For Spaces?
Jul 20, 2011

but now I can't find it.  Thanks.  ...

Jobs Where You're Not Paid For Spaces...
Jun 27, 2011

Please don't take a job where you're not paid for spaces. You are better than that and deserve more. It takes a good chunk out of your pay, especially when these MT companies don't pay you much anyway. If you have to do it out of desperation, please keep your eye on another job where you ARE paid for spaces and take it the first chance you get.  Just a piece of friendly advice. ...

Seeing A New Influx Of VBC Or Being Paid For No Spaces
Jul 22, 2011

Not sure if it helps to know or not but if you are doing VR, it's 99% likely you are NOT being paid for spaces.  Afterall, you're not PRODUCING the spaces.  And since most of the transcribed work is still done in the same application as the VR work, you dont get paid spaces for transcribed work. You should be getting paid a higher line rate, however, for what you produce from scratch (and I mean higher than 8 or 9).  But this is where I see services taking advantage, by ...

Paid For Spaces Versus Black Character Only
Apr 05, 2010

Just as an experiment...With Saince I typed about 12-13 reports, typed one that was 18 minutes long in the midst of the others.  It equaled a little over 400 lines (it was under 420). Now, with a job that pays for spaces, I typed one report 12 min long - 126 lines.  Typing 10 reports, I hit 424 lines. The Saince reports were standard type, most 1-1/2 to 2 pages long...ONLY 400 lines???  Most of the ones I just did this morning for another company were mostly 1 page long, VR, dis ...

Does Anyone Know What 0.08 Line Without Spaces Equals Out To With Spaces?
Nov 25, 2010

Does anyone know what 0.08 line without spaces equals out to with spaces? ...

I Get Paid By The Minutes Typed. Is There Anyone Else Out There That Gets Paid By The Minute.
Mar 01, 2012

I was curious if any other MTs are getting paid by the minute too. Replies are welcomed. I am required to get 131 minutes for an 8 hour shift. We get incentive if over. We also use VR, so that helps, and we have weighted doctors. Thanks, MeL ...

Without Spaces
May 31, 2010

How are you supposed to be able to count characters without spaces? This just seems odd to me.  Guess you learn something new every day. ...

Pay For Spaces
Sep 15, 2010

Does anyone know if Diskriter, Amphion, Etransplus pay for spaces?  Need help asap so I can accept or reject offer.  Thanks in advance. ...

Pay Without Spaces Is...?
Jan 10, 2011

If a position offers pay without spaces, would that pretty much cut pay in half when compared to pay with spaces? ...

Does Acusis Pay For Spaces, Or Only By VBC?
Nov 21, 2009

X ...

Just Saw A New Ad ... .07 Cpl, Without Spaces, IC, No Benefits And Want (sm)
Jan 16, 2010

Five years experience and especially experience in basic 4.  Surely you jest! ...

5 Cpl/43 Vbc Only = About 6 Cpl/65 Char W/spaces...sm
Apr 16, 2010

and the explanation is that they are trying to compete with other companies who pay their MTs 2 cpl.  Has anyone seen any companies who pay 2 cpl?  sad, sad, sad... ...

K&R Consulting Don't Pay For Spaces?
May 02, 2010

Does anyone know anything about K&R, other than they don't pay for spaces?  Do they pay more per line to compensate?  I was thinking about picking up some extra work and have done VA work in the past, so was just wondering.  Thanks. MJ ...

Who Uses Two Spaces After Punctuation Other Than Me?
Sep 07, 2010

I was reading and found it is okay to use one space after punctuation.  This is going to be a hard habit to break.  I am old school and was taught to use two spaces after punctuation in typing class.   Thanks for any comments.   Mel ...

Does It Matter If There Are 2 Spaces After A
Sep 08, 2010

this one of those fabulous things that is taken care of on the back-end?  That would save me a few strokes.  ...

Does Anyone Know What 8 Cpl W/O Spaces Is Comparable To?
Nov 12, 2010

TIA :-) ...

VBC Pay Versus With Spaces Pay
Jun 15, 2011

What would 4.4 cents editing VBC average out to if compared to transcribing with spaces? ...

Escription Pay For Spaces
Mar 21, 2011

I was wondering if there is someone who could answer a question about Escription.  I am currently an Escription editor and do not get paid spaces.  Does anyone know if this is true with all Escription accounts, or if it is a company-specific thing?  TIA! ...

Does SoftScript Pay For Spaces? Nm
Jul 15, 2011

x ...

Keystrokes - Does KS Pay For Spaces, Etc?
Jan 26, 2012

Does KS pay for spaces, etc?  Any info is appreciated good, bad or ugly.  TIA! ...

Does Synernet Pay For Spaces?
Jun 05, 2012

Just curious, I'm trying to decide between a few companies and I totally forgot to ask the interviewer.  I think the whole VBC thing is criminal.  It's bad enough not being paid for all of the research, demographics and CCs we do, but to not pay for characters that we actually type just because they don't print out in black and white is OUTRAGEOUS!!!  ...

Free Spaces
Jan 26, 2013

Hi from Australia on Australia Day.  Only new at this MT at home business.  Struggling to get my line count up.  In all honesty it would take a few months to add in enough shortcuts to make it worthwhile.  I have been racking my brain over how to get those two spaces at the end of a sentence for free.  Finally it has come to me.  We all need to do an autotext incorporaing the last letter of a sentence and the first letter of the following sentence ie  I saw Liz ...

Not Paying For Spaces
Feb 04, 2013

I've seen it posted in various threads that companies are not paying for typing spaces. I can't get my head around that. What's their rationale? It's a keystroke, just like any letter or number. ...

Visible Spaces
Mar 20, 2013

Okay, when did Nuance announce they were not paying for visible spaces in a report? I'm a former Transcend employee and heard this news today. Is this documented somewhere? If so, someone please tell me where. I'm dumbfounded. How low can this company get? ...

Why Do Some Companies Not Pay For Spaces?
Jul 30, 2013

I am very curious as to why companies do not pay for all keystrokes. I just left a job that I felt like they were stealing from me. The spaces really add up. Honestly I felt like I was being robbed. I wasn't told in the beginning that was their practice. ...

Does Synernet Pay For Spaces
Aug 10, 2013

Wondering if Synernet pays for spaces?  That's one thing I forgot to ask recruiter.   ...

Does Transtech Pay For Spaces
May 16, 2014

Does Transtech pay for spaces? ...

Does Nuance Pay For Spaces?
Nov 10, 2014

Does Nuance pay for spaces?  TIA ...

Spaces/footers
Dec 15, 2014

I see in TTS ad they pay for headers, footers and spaces.  Sounds like lines are easier to come by with this company.  ...