A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Told Nuance Was Overcharging For Lines, Now Lines Drastically Reduced - NuanceZombie

Posted: May 02, 2012

My main account was a good one, and the lines were very good, mostly ER work. I have been on this account for over a year and a half now. We recently received an e-mail stating that Nuance had discovered that the line count was charging incorrectly, as instituted by them, and they had been crediting us with MORE lines than we were actually doing and overcharging the client.

Now get this, they informed us that they would not make US pay it back, for their mistake, but that our new lines would reflect the correct way of counting lines.

All fine and dandy, but now an account that is great I can barely get over 400 lines in an hour and now all the work has disappeared? I don't want to name the account, but I am wondering has anyone else noticed that they suddenly are not hitting the line counts they used to on the same account, or are you on this account perhaps and have noticed this?

Has anyone else noticed that suddenly the work is just not there any longer in the past few weeks?

Would love to hear what other Nuance editors think.

Lines/Work - Vassie

[ In Reply To ..]
I too have had my lines drastically change. Of course, it has been a HUGE change since losing M Modal but now even more horrid. I cannot even break 2000 on most days. The audio has become worse and the VR is going backwards instead of forward. I run out of work a lot more frequently, but Nuance loves to over hire to keep up with the mass exodus they always have. I just hope when they are caught for skimming lines, we get our share :) Glad to be leaving here next week for good.

Leaving too - NuanceZombie

[ In Reply To ..]
I am also leaving, just accepted another position, with M Modal :) I cannot wait! The pay is higher, they pay for 6 holidays with company holiday pay, not our own PTO, which is 40 hours in your first year, and their incentive program is actually a real incentive program. Also, they do not outsource, so hopefully the work will be steady. Good luck with your new position!

Okay, I know the pay is higher at M*Modal, but - what do you mean they

[ In Reply To ..]
dont outsource? Do you mean "your" account in particular? Because some accounts are global at M*Modal.

I do work on an account there for a group of hospitals owned by the same organization which has it in their contract that the work stays in the United States. So my account does not have any outsourcing going on.

Is that possibly what you mean? Just wondered because you know people on here will be quick to call you a liar and wouldn't want to see you attract the flammers.

Congrats on the new job.
M-Modal - NuanceZombie
[ In Reply To ..]
Sorry for the confusion! The new job is not with M-Modal, but with a company that utilizes M-Modal platform with their own software for VR. They are 100% US based and do not outsource, though in this industry that could change in a wink of an eye, or they could get gobbled up by the big guns. Hopefully, this company will last 6 months or so. By then I will be finished in school and out of the MT world. Sad to leave, but I have too many years to go before retirement to stick around at these wages, at least for my situation. Thank you for the kind words!
I wish you the best. - You know alot of these..
[ In Reply To ..]
Hospitals are having it put in their contract that their work stays in the US, so hopefully there will eventually be a decline in outsourcing.

I dont blame you for moving on to another career or should I say way of making a living, since its kinda hard to refer to transcription as a career anymore.

At any rate best wishes to you!

Overcharging.. sounds familiar - nn

[ In Reply To ..]
Sounds similar to something that happened at Medquist years ago. If memory serves the formula of line counting they used to pay the MTs and the way they billed company were different. they did NOT make up the pay to us MTs, but did make a big donation to AHDI in our names and we were offered a few perks through them. There was a lawsuit and everything, but the MTs lost out on it.

overcharging - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
I have several friends who were told they had been overpaid, and had their next checks DOCKED for the amount that was supposedly "overpaid." One has lost her home and is living temporarily on a couch in a living room of a friend. Run, run, run from this company!

Overcharging - CG13

[ In Reply To ..]
I have run into this situation on site at a hospital once. A new supervisor came in and said the characters/lines were not being calculated correctly and same thing...they would not make us pay it back but we all took a 60% pay cut immediately. It was a hoax. I counted and kept documentation and everything to prove her wrong and my job was threatened for not being a TEAM PLAYER. Seriously???? It is a definite ploy to cut your pay. I wonder if that supervisor is not working for Nuance...

No sympathy - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
You can "barely get 400 lph?" Wow, my heart bleeds. I can barely get 300 on my insanely heavy ESL, op note heavy account. What stinks is we probably get paid the same, you to do easy ER and me to do the heavy lifting.

Don't Assume - NuanceZombie

[ In Reply To ..]

That because my account is heavy ER that is isn't inundated with ESL. That would be a false assumption. My account, while heavy ERs, is so because I work the entire night, from 8:00 pm until 6:00 am, not fun hours, particularly with small children, and I work all weekend long and part of the week as well, not to mention the additional days I put in to make up lines.

My account has plenty of ESL, and they are Mandarin in origin.  So, yeah, there are rather specific difficulties in transcribing this ESL demographic. I would kill for an OP account. I have been doing this for 16+ years and OP notes are a breeze. While having their own specific verbiage, they are a pleasure for most experienced transcriptionists/VR editors.

Also, my entire career has been spent in acute, for larger teaching hospitals, which means plenty of medical students and PAs galore dictating. Fun, fun, fun. One of my favorite accounts was with Transcend and was 95% ESL.  Loved it, hit mad lines on it, 385 and above, per hour, but as most know, Nuance has now gobbled up Transcend, so my part-time job went out the window with the merge for "job safety" reasons.

I sympathize that your account is so difficult.  Ask for a backup, ask to be transferred, something, and while it might not do much good, at least you tried. I sit for X amount of hours trying to make 80 bucks if I lucky now, which is why I am in the process of leaving Nuance, fingers crossed my new home will be a good fit.  You can do the same.  Go elsewhere and find an account that works for you.

I can't figure lines out - as they

[ In Reply To ..]
don't match what I transcribed. Anyone else having this problem? Gotten an answer from management?

Similar Messages:

Escription - 250 Line Count Minimum - Median Lines Or Average Lines?
Dec 20, 2014

Does anybody know which column companies look at to decide if you are meeting the minimum 250 requirement in Escription? When I look at the metrics there are 2 columns...median lines per hour and average lines per hour. ...

Is It True That FOCUS, Only Counts Half Of Your Lines When Calculating VR Lines?
Jan 30, 2012

if you make 4 cents per line at 1000 lines a day, they really calculate it at 500 lines per day x 4 cents, making it really 2 cents per line for the full 1000.   I heard this, and I am really interested in knowing if it is true. ...

TransTech Lines - Required Hours But Are Short Lines?
Jun 10, 2011

What do you do when you have the required hours but are short lines? I got an email that I need to "make plans to have my shortage made up." The only problem is that I'm up to date with my hours for the pay period so far. The other problem is that I have plans Saturday night and Sunday (both being my scheduled time off) that don't include TransTech. It's getting harder and harder to defend this company when they can't hold up their end of the agreement and continually ...

TransTech Lines - How Many Lines Do You Average During The Day/week?
Jan 19, 2011

Just wondering if the TT MTs would like share ... how many lines do you average during the day/week?  I'm doing about 9,000 to 10,000 a week and wonder if I should be pushing myself more.  How much of your count is VR?  I do probably 15% traditional and 85% VR but that, of course, varies week to week.   ...

Custom Lines Versus Standard Lines
Jan 08, 2013

Which do you use - custom lines - 65 character lines with spaces or standard lines - seems like so much more for standard lines????   Cathy ...

Are MS Word Lines The Same As Medquist Lines?
Jan 18, 2011

I am having a discrepancy issue with lines....wondered if MS Word and Medquist use a different number of characters per line.  Thanks.... ...

TransTech Lines - How Many Lines Do You Average Per Day
Jul 13, 2011

How many lines do you average per day - VR and traditional?  I know it's been VERY slow lately, but when things are going well, how many lines do you normally get? I'm trying to figure out where the average numbers are.  For me, I do about 350 trad and about 1400 VR in 8 hours. Well, my timesheet says 8 hours, but my clock says that number MAY(!) be a little higher.  Again, these are numbers I pull when things are going well and I'm not waiting for work to download. I'v ...

Going From Nuance To TTS - How Are The Lines?
May 28, 2014

I see edit line requirements 250 per hour. At Nuance sometimes the SR is so crappy that might be difficult to do and maintain their Fiesa crap.  Is it easier to get lines?  Is the SR such that you are not correcting every other word?  Appreciate any info. ...

Nuance Lines Per Hour
Sep 19, 2013

Does anyone know how Nuance figures lines per hour.  We just moved to production pay and I'll be damned if I can figure out how they determine LPH.  What I see in EditScript and what they tell me are completely different but there is no rhyme or reason to it.  Seems like a crap shoot - I never know how I'm doing.  Thanks for any input.  ...

Nuance ES MTs. How Do You Keep Accurate Count Of Your Lines?
Feb 15, 2011

When I was Encompass, we used MT Monitor for EditScript, which did a fairly good job.  I never much paid attention to the Alt + x Metrics because of using MT Monitor pretty exlusively.  Now, since MT Monitor is soon to be nixed, apparently, it has stopped counting lines (just characters, but I can divide those by 65) and is missing whole reports over periods of time for me.  But Metrics is even worse.  It's recording only about 2/3 of my reports, if that.  I don&# ...

Webmedx/Nuance Lines Per Hour
Nov 18, 2011

How many lines per hour are most people averaging right now on this platform? I am getting a mixture of straight type /VR that varies daily. They have not shown us any reports of how everyone is doing as a group. I don't think I can make the quota in 8 hours to qualify for benefits. I am trying.  We have open enrollment for insurance ending November 30.  The 1st week in December, they will tell us what the pay plan is for the future.  Granted, insurance ra ...

Nuance Hours/lines Discrepancy
Nov 30, 2011

There was a post last week on Nuance pay discrepancies. I had a 3 hour discrepancy, didn't think too much of it. I thought maybe I made a mistake. This time it is a 5 hour discrepancy. I know I didn't make a 5 hour mistake on my time punches. My lines are not what they should be either. I am about to find another job. I don't make enough as it is without being shorted. Did anyone else notice this with this last pay period? ...

Question About Nuance Policy On Qualified (template) Lines
Dec 03, 2014

I was originally with one of the ambulatory groups that came through the back door of Nuance.  Our old ways of doing things have slowly been phased out since Nuance acquired us.  Currently I get 8.5 cpl for standard lines and 1 cpl for qualified (template) lines.  I haven't gotten the email about the video yet, but I've been reading on here about the new 7 cpl rate. What about template lines? Does Nuance pay for template lines? Thanks...  ...

About How Many Lines?
Dec 10, 2010

Can anybody that types radiology tell me how on average about how many lines they do an hour or a day?  I am being switched to by the line and have always been paid by the report.  Thanks.  ...

TT Lines?
Feb 11, 2011

Does anyone else struggle to get 2000 lines a day with TransTech?  I've been at TT for about 4-1/2 years, but I'm having a hard time getting over 2000 lines a day.  If you get more than 2000 a day in your 8 hours, can you share your tips?   ...

VBC Lines
Mar 19, 2011

Seems like with the industry pretty much switching to VBC lines, we should get a higher line rate.  Like that is going to happen.  Thoughts? ...

150 Lines Per Hr Or ASR 350?
Sep 09, 2011

so I get my offer from MedQuist today after they acquired AllType.  In order to qualify for benefits, I have to type 150 lines per hr or do voice recognition editing at 350 per hr.  I don't know if I can do this.  On a good account, no problem.  But ASR on accounts I have been doing are ridiculous, so many random errors, no way you can skim through them.  Any body out there that consistently gets these line counts every week without working more than 39 hrs per week ...

Why Does QA Take Lines Away From You If...
Jan 08, 2012

you send in a report with a blank?  or even if they think you made an error like with comma placement?  They end up taking three lines away if you leave a blank for a doctor's name that you could not understand or verify!  do all places do this, or just some?  I don't think it is ethical, myself.  but just asking.  ...

My First VR Job....how Many Lines?
Mar 29, 2012

The company that hired me as an IC wants to know how many lines I will agree to produce per day.  This will be my first job as doing voice recognition.  I am clueless.  I know how many lines I can transcribe but this is a totally different ballgame, right?  I do not want to over comit.  How would you suggest I handle this question on their forms?  TIA ...

How Do They Keep Up With VR Lines?
May 21, 2012

When I check to see how many lines I've done today there are none for the work I've done with VR.  How can they tell what I'd done? Do they just guess????????? I'd not be surprised at all. ...

Pay Per Pt Vs Lines
May 23, 2012

i transcribe for a local physician and get paid per patient (and not very much!) instead of by the line.  i've been doing this for a couple of years now and just cannot get used to not being paid by the line.....it's like i just eat, sleep and breathe by the line!!!  and i cannot even get the physician to even try to understand how being paid by the line works.  needless to say, there is a huge discrepancy in pay between per patient and lines and even more so when i' ...

How Many Lines In A Day?
Dec 08, 2012

I am curious as to how many lines on average you do in a day.  Please no posts complaining about lack of work or big bad MTSOs...  I really am just looking for a number and would really like to try to get this info with as little drama as possible.   Thank you :) ...

VR Lines
Jan 29, 2013

Can any large producer out there tell me how many lines they are able to do in voice per hour?  I cannot get past 400 and was wondering if anyone could.   ...

How Many Lines??
May 17, 2013

Seriously, does anyone know how many lines per hour it would take to make a $1400.00 gross paycheck, not counting the "quarterly bonus" figuring my QA score was 99.5... lol!!! I used to know and achieve this back the Webmedx days, right now I have no idea. Thanks! ...

Lines
Dec 09, 2014

Has anyone else noticed that the LPH average has dropped? I am typing more than I was and yet it is still lower significantly?  ...

QT Lines?
Dec 17, 2014

Where are the QT lines that we used to get paid 1 cent for?  I don't see any of that listed on the time card. ...

Can Anyone Tell Me (lines)......
Jan 29, 2015

how they calculate your lph rate now? Minimum is 100 clph. I'm wondering b/c since they half the speech lines, this does not seem to be your true accurate LPH. For instance if I type 100 in an hour and do 100 speech in the same hour, do they strictly look at that and say your LPH is 200 OR do they say 100 for regular, only 50 for speech, so your LPH is 150? B/c as you see, the later formula makes it appear as if you actually do less when in fact you don't and that is not accurate. I as ...

Minimum Lines Per Day
Jan 11, 2010

I asked this question already on the company board, but I ask it also on this board: What do companies do if an MT turns in 98% accurate work, or above, but does not transcribe the minimum lines per day, as an employee? Does this MT always get fired, or how do companies handle this? TIA ...

VR - How Many Lines Per Hour Do You Do? (sm)
Jan 21, 2010

With decades of experience as an MT, I'm just now getting into VR. I'd like to know, if you would please care to share, just how many lines per hour you are able to get with VR. I know this varies from person to person and platform to platform, but please, help me out with this! I'm terrified I'm going to go broke doing this! Thanks in advance. ...

VR - Lines Per Hour
Feb 05, 2010

I don't have much to compare to, as this is the only company I've worked for as an editor. I wanted to get an idea of the different platforms we each use and our lines per hour. Talking only about editing and not straight typing, what do you average lph and what platform do you use?  Thank you!  ...