A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

line counts - When figuring lines, do most people include spaces? - Tammy

Posted: Jul 24, 2012

When figuring lines, do most people include spaces?

line counts - Tammy

[ In Reply To ..]
Some background on the question: Spaces have always been included in the line count where I have worked, but a new company is taking over and they don't include the spaces in the line count, which results in a hefty paycut. So I wondered what the norm was.

Hi, Tammy: they should tell you... - (see message)

[ In Reply To ..]
....how many characters to a line AND whether or not it includes spaces. If they don't say, I would definitely ask.

I've been told that one place pays "X" cpl for a 65-character line, which includes spaces; and one pays for only visible black characters (usually called VBC), but the line length for that company is only 55 characters per line. So, if you have roughly 10 words in a line, it comes out to about the same number of keystrokes. If there are more than 10 words, you lose out a little; but if there are less than 10 words, you come out a little bit ahead. It probably all balances out to be pretty close to the same.

True, but watch for.. - thankful

[ In Reply To ..]
the character line amount and the VBC. I have recently worked for a company who paid on a 65 character line but not for VBC (spaces)... it is a huge pay cut, wouldn't do it again.

line counts - Tammy

[ In Reply To ..]
The company I'm with now pays "X" for a 65-character line and includes spaces. The new company will pay 1 cent less for a 63-character line and does not include spaces. When I figured out my invoice with the new pay, it comes out to about $100 to $150 less every two weeks.

Could there be a difference in the type of transcription? i.e., now I just type in Word but will be going to a web-based system (I have no idea what that is). Or is it all about the same?

Similar Messages:

MTSOs Are Counting Spaces In Their Line Counts?
Jun 10, 2010

Anyone know if the MTSOs are counting spaces in their line counts?  Is the standard still a 65 character line?   ...

Line Counts - Umber Of Characters And Spaces And Divide By 65
Jun 12, 2013

Can someone help me out here ?  I have forgotten the purpose of this.  I work for a company that does transcription in Microsoft Word.  Of course you can check your line counts in word, but this company says that isn't right and we have to take the number of characters and spaces and divide by 65 and that is our line count, which is always less than what Word says.  Can anybody remember why it's different?  Thanks. ...

Line Counts - Type A Certain Number Of Lines Per Day
Sep 01, 2010

Right now I work doing transcription but have never had to type a certain number of lines per day.  We just have to have our work done in a timely manner.....24-48 hours.  I am looking at taking a job where they require 1000-1200 lines per day working FT hours and am curious how long that would take typically?  I am not the fastest typist in the world and don't want to get in over my head.  If I can't work overtime and need to get that many lines done, it concerns me.  For tho ...

Is It True That FOCUS, Only Counts Half Of Your Lines When Calculating VR Lines?
Jan 30, 2012

if you make 4 cents per line at 1000 lines a day, they really calculate it at 500 lines per day x 4 cents, making it really 2 cents per line for the full 1000.   I heard this, and I am really interested in knowing if it is true. ...

Do Our Lines Per Hour Include Or Exclude Inactive Time?
Jun 18, 2014

When figuring your lines per hour, is that for the whole time you are clocked in or is inactive time deducted? ...

Nuance Line Counts - Required Line Counts?
Jan 01, 2013

Can you tell me what the required line counts are for Nuance please ? ...

Does Anyone Know What 0.08 Line Without Spaces Equals Out To With Spaces?
Nov 25, 2010

Does anyone know what 0.08 line without spaces equals out to with spaces? ...

I Need Help In Figuring Out My Line Count?
Oct 16, 2011

I've done this before but can't figure it out now.  I've totalled my line counts each day for a week including ASR and straight transcription, but now what do I do with that total?  Do I divide it by 7 days in the week or however many days I work or is it the hours I work?  Thanks for helping me. ...

Help With Figuring Out Line Count
May 10, 2012

I am new and so far have had no problems with running out of work which is what happened all the time when I was with Medquist (M Modal) but where do you find the breakdown of your lines???  I gave gone into FIESA and generate reports and I see all my lines grouped together but not broken down as to what was VR and the other straight dictation.  Or I am looking it and don't even realize it.  Thanks ...

Can Someone Please Explain To Me The Process Of Figuring Out Your Line Count Rate? . . . .
May 18, 2010

I understand that the potential is there to maybe collect unemployment due to low, unavailable work with the Q.  I am curious as to how to figure my hourly rate with the Q to see if I am even making minimum rate in my state (which is $7.25/hour)  any one interested in explaining the process on how to figure this out?   Thanking one and all in advance. ...

Lines/spaces Question
Apr 11, 2013

I do not get paid for spaces and I am wondering how many more lines per day I would get if spaces were included.  If I type 1200 lines without spaces included in the line count, what would be a rough estimate on how many that would be if spaces were included? ...

65-char. With Spaces Excluding Blank Lines
Dec 06, 2010

I was offered a job by The Transcription Doctors, Inc. with the pay being 8cpl or 3cpl for editing, 65-characters with spaces excluding blank lines.  My question is ... Is the excluding blank lines part normal or is that super cheap of them?  I know 3cpl for editing is already cheap...Do most companies include even blank lines?  I hope someone knows...Thank you. ...

Lines Based On Characters With No Spaces, Throughts?
Jul 19, 2013

I just got a transcription job and am being paid with Word Count characters without spaces. I was told I would be making 9 cpl but when I figure out the spaces, it's around 7 cpl. Your thoughts on this please. Thanks. ...

Escription - 250 Line Count Minimum - Median Lines Or Average Lines?
Dec 20, 2014

Does anybody know which column companies look at to decide if you are meeting the minimum 250 requirement in Escription? When I look at the metrics there are 2 columns...median lines per hour and average lines per hour. ...

A Question For Those Of You With Seriously Low Lines Counts (sm)
Jan 04, 2013

Do you have another job on the side?  Are you married or have someone else helping out?  This is not specifically directed at the gal who made 300.00 in three months but to anyone who is in the same boat.  I'm just wondering how in the world anybody is making it on just that amount.  ...

IT And Line Counts Vs Other Line Count Programs
Oct 24, 2011

I would like opinions about the IT (Instant Text) line count program? Do you find it user friendly? Are there other programs preferred/easier? Any suggestions or opinions? TIA. ...

Line Counts - An Accurate Line Counter?
Aug 14, 2012

I was wondering if someone could point me in the direction of an accurate line counter. I currently use Word, but am not sure if it's accurate.  ...

7 Cents A Line W/o Spaces!!
Oct 24, 2011

There has got to be something better than this!!  Any one know of any companies that pay more than this for subcontractor with 4 years experience? ...

Line Count And Spaces
Nov 30, 2011

Started working for a company just about 2 months ago.  Contract states they pay for a 65 character line including spaces and bolding.  Have been making about 50 lines per hour.  Their system is window XP profession version and it is their computer.  Does 50 lines per hour sound right.  At my worst, at my last job I did at least 100 lines per hour.  There is no way to do a line count in Word on their computer because it is set up the same as in their system.  I ...

Line Rates/spaces
Aug 11, 2012

Does getting paid for spaces add about 2 cents to line rate?  I was getting 10 cpl for an account (not paid for spaces) and then lost that to offshoring.  The new account pays 8 cpl, but paid for spaces, so they say that's equivalent.  Does that sound right?  Is that the average rate now?    Interesting article just stumbled on:  http://mttoolsonline.com/2011/01/26/medical-transcription-theres-just-no-money-in-it/ ...

How Many Characters With Spaces Is A Line, Pls
May 19, 2015

I'm thinking 36, but want to make sure..I was bored today and kept track of pretty much everything I did that I don't get paid for, wish I could include time on google looking up information..But ...

What Other Lines Of Work Are People Considering?
Nov 12, 2014

Currently unemployed (lost a long-time position with medical facility) and like so many people, I am looking to get into something else. Within healthcare people have suggested coding and health information management--both of which are already being outsourced, to a degree. I was looking at an HR records position which already has an outsourcing company advertising to do the same job. Obviously I have to be more concerned with immediate employment than future outsourcing, however I am keepin ...

Does Amphion Pay On A 65 Character Line With Spaces?
Jun 14, 2010

nm ...

Would You Work For $0.05 A Line, Based On 65-characters With Spaces?
Nov 13, 2009

I have been offered a job with a company for clinic notes, which are the easiest.  As far as schedule goes, I just have to complete it w/in 24-hours.  So the kicker is, the pay is $0.05 a line, based on 65 characters with spaces.  They only pay once a month.  They also use Microsoft counter as well, which I am not sure if that is good or bad.  Would you take this position? ...

Question About 7 Cents A Line With Spaces Counted
May 10, 2012

I have a question:  I currently make 8 cents a line, but it is VBC.  If I had a job that paid 7 cents normally, but paid for spaces and other things in the report would one be coming out ahead making at least 8 cents a line or may be even more when it is all figured out?  Has anyone ever done this and actually making more $$$ by making the 7 cents a line instead of 8 cents?   I used to have a job that paid 10 to 10.5 cents a line, but they sold out. I was just ...

What Is The Average # Of VBCs In A 65-character Line With Spaces?
Mar 06, 2013

x ...

OSI Line Counts..
Aug 05, 2010

I was wondering if anyone knows exactly what OSI cuts out of their line counts?  Seeing as they use a remote website for line counts, it is pretty obvious they cut corners with what MTs get paid on.  I was just wondering WHAT are the cutting?  Do they only pay 1 space?  Do they not pay if you copy and paste? Do they only pay on a % per page - meaning if you have little on 1 page you aren't going to get any credit for those lines, etc?  Just curio ...

Line Counts Less?
Sep 07, 2010

Is it me, or does it seem that since 6.1 went into effect, my counts are a lot lower than usual when I check them under statistics. ...

Line Counts And ESL
Nov 12, 2011

I know this has been discussed before, but what is up with these line counts?  I used to have no problem doing 200+ lph.  Now, I work at the same pace on an account with less ESL speakers and I struggle to get my required 150 lph.  I won't even comment on the fact that my straight typing has dwindled away to maybe 10 lines a day...on a good day.  Thanks for listening...this is just all so very frustrating.  I try to keep a positive attitude and be very diligent about my work and ...

Line Counts/KNR
Feb 03, 2012

For MTs with this company, are any of you having trouble meeting the line count required with VBC within a 40-hour timeframe?  I even have expander program.   ...