A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

coder/cmt - anyone

Posted: Jan 15, 2012

Anyone who went into coding from MT, are/were you a CMT and if so did you keep your CMT credential up after being in coding a while or did you let it fall away seeing really no further need for it?  Having to keep up coding credentials is enough and I wonder if I really need to keep it.   Any reasons why I should keep it? 

So funny you asked this - sm - Coder-to-be

[ In Reply To ..]
I am/have been a CMT for years. I am about to let it lapse even though I don't have a coding job and may not ever find one. I originally got the CMT because my job at the time paid more if I got the credential. Other than that it has been meaningless, really. The CPC credential, on the other hand, is more feasible, for me, and I actually attend a local chapter meeting (NEVER had any CMT meetings near me to attend) and the CPC meetings are interesting for the most part and I like them and networking. Ours always includes a meal which adds to the intermingling and meeting others who are in (and some not in) the field of coding.

Long story short, even though I am still an MT, I am letting my CMT lapse. ADHI never did a thing for me and once I could compare them to the AAPC, there is no comparison in how much better the AAPC is run and actually cares about us. I never had that impression from ADHI.

thanks for your reply - The

[ In Reply To ..]
only thing it did for me was just for me as a personal achievement. No one else cared. I think I will let mine go too. Something in me hesitates to let go of it.

I actually feel the same - sm - Coder-to-be

[ In Reply To ..]
I was going to let it lapse the last cycle but just couldn't do it. My cycle is up next year and I have done NOTHING for credit so I think this may be the time - haha! I don't have the patience or time to "make-up" all that work. Too expensive and again, it is doing me absolutely no good.

As someone who did let her CMT go... - CMTx2

[ In Reply To ..]
I'd urge you not to make the same mistake I did. As I posted below, letting my first CMT go is one of my biggest professional regrets.

You never know what the future holds or what is right around the corner for any of us with Epic coming.

I do agree with you, though: AHDI never did a darn thing for me... or anyone else, for that matter.
I think the CMT may be the only good thing they ever did - CMT
[ In Reply To ..]
The CMT was a great idea if they could have convinced the MTSOs to go with it, but they didn't or couldn't. Did they try? Probably not, because the top layer of AHDI formerly AAMT was always the MTSOs, wasn't it? It was never about the MTs, and yes, it should have been. We've had nobody in our corner.

Now it appears that even the CMT is being corrupted, in my opinion. It used to be that you had to demonstrate that you could describe difficult dictation in a number of specialties, including surgery. Now, you get blips of dictation and more disconnected pieces of information that don't really impact your ability as an MT. In other words, it's so head-in-the-clouds academic that it's no longer an indication of whether you can transcribe or not.

Agree, agree,, agree - Letting it lapse 2

[ In Reply To ..]
I agree with what you said. You saved me some time.

AAPC and AHIMA actually DO something for me. I get recognizable value from those certifications.

For me, paying for the renewal is not a big issue, but the aggravation of filling out the paperwork, requesting approval, and trying to sort CEUs into the categories is more trouble than it is worth. So is trying to keep track of 3 years worth of CEUs to suit their preferred schedule. And then we get to their hokey "word warriors," punctuation silliness and the requirement for CEUs in MT technology. I am no longer interested in word processing and expanders. Nor am I interested in emailing them to get a verdict on what exactly informatics counts for.

On top of that, I feel that renewing supports an organization that did everything wrong.

Have to agree with everything you said - sm - Coder-to-be

[ In Reply To ..]
AHDI has done nothing for me except charge me a fortune for every CEC they require. At least the AAPC has free things and low cost things to keep your credential and I find them interesting.

I hate to let it go, just for the accomplishment of having it, but most people could truly care less at a job interview. Sad but true.

On the other hand, - Maybe

[ In Reply To ..]
I'll keep it just in case I need to do MT temporarily if I can't find another Coding job at some point in the future.

I'm keeping mine because I don't want to have to retest in the future - if it gets to be important

[ In Reply To ..]
This is a crazy world. Everything in healthcare changes with the wind. There's a possibility that the CMT may really matter in the future. For that reason, I'm keeping mine.

Keeping up your CMEs is easy. Just use the journal articles and take the quizzes online. Be sure you have enough in each category. It may take a few hours, or less. Free. No stress.

Agreed. IF I go into coding, I am keeping mine. - CMTx2

[ In Reply To ..]
The reason I am CMTx2 is because I let my first CMT lapse for lack of CEs. My employer at the time didn't give it any credence, actually told me it didn't matter to her, and I was so happy in that job I was going to work there *forever*. ::: eye roll :::

Letting my first CMT lapse is one of my biggest professional regrets. I was foolish, shouldn't have done it.

The second time around, the test was MUCH more difficult than it was back in the mid '90s.

Similar Messages:

Question For Coder & Coder 2
Sep 28, 2013

When asked to code pulmonary nodule, with no other information, how can you tell the correct code?  Under nodule I see pulmonary, solitary 793.11, I see lung, solitary 793.11 & solitary, lung 518.89. I already know that the 518 one is correct but I have no idea why. ...

MT To Coder?
Aug 28, 2011

Hello all.  I am currently an MT and for many reasons I am considering leaving that career.  I was wondering about coding and billing.  How is the pay?  As an MT I have seen the pay go down considerably over the years and was wondering if coding/billing is in the same boat. Also, would you recommend becoming a coder in this economy?  Which school has the best program?  Thanks. ...

MT To Coder
Feb 16, 2012

Question about coding bootcamps, does anyone have any experience with HCPro bootcamps?  I have been an MT for 17+ years and want to switch to coding.  Would this be appropriate for someone with my background?  Thanks for the help.  ...

MT-to-Coder
Nov 06, 2012

Deleted. ...

Not A Coder
Jul 26, 2013

I'm not a medical coder.  The only ties I have to the medical profession is that I'm a patient.  This transition from ICD-9 to ICD-10, exactly how is this happening.  Do you all have to go back to school to learn ICD-10?  From the outside looking in, it sounds like a major undertaking, but hopefully it's not. ...

An MT To A Coder
Sep 21, 2014

I am posting to (hopefully) give coding students hope, not to get dislikes on my post, but it is what it is. Here's my story: I graduated from coding school about a year ago, after being an MT for over 25 years. I am working as a coder and I am learning every day (reminds me of back in the day as a a new MT). There were so many days when I wanted to give up on coding because, let's face it, it's not easy, but I didn't. I honestly think I will make it as a coder, but I probabl ...

From MT To GT To Coder
May 10, 2015

Just saying hi, and I really appreciate this board.  I've been lurking for a while.  I went to Career Step for medical transcription, but soon after graduating, I found the quick turn around time for MT just didn't work for my toddler and homeschooler, so I switched to GT. Now, 5 years later, it's time to switch things up again, and I've always been interested in the behind the scenes medical paperwork (as nerdy as that sounds!). So feeling kind of lost, I de ...

Advice On Getting First Job From A Coder
Jul 12, 2010

The following is a post I found on the AAPC web site. I asked the poster first if it was okay to re-post here and he said okay.  Quote begins as follows: My first coding job was about six years ago. I had called a local college asking about some health billing classes and as I was about to hang up the phone I asked the lady "by the way how do you get your first job in this field?". She said "it's kind of tough, but wait, someone put a card up on the board yesterday...". She got a car ...

Job Availability For New Coder
Feb 09, 2011

I am planning on enrolling in Andrews School to begin a new career in medical coding and also plan to become certified following that.  While looking at job opportunities, I see that most ALL job openings require 2-5 years experience in this profession.  On the other hand, I also read where this field of work is in demand of more coders.  Obviously, after finishing my course and becoming certified, I don't expect to walk right in and nail down the first job or two that I ...

EMR Vs Medical Coder
May 25, 2011

I hope this is not a dumb question, but do need some enlightening.  I was at my doctor's office this morning and in the midst of the exam we got to talking about my goal to take the medical coding schooling (through Andrews). She was concerned that with the EMR process today, medical coders would not be as involved with actual coding as they have been in the past and therefore the job market not as promising. My doctor's clinic has the computer screen in the office and she sh ...

Glad I'm Not A Coder
Sep 12, 2011

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424053111904103404576560742746021106.html?mod=WSJ_hp_MIDDLENexttoWhatsNewsThird ...

Finding A Job As A New Coder
Sep 30, 2011

I am an MT considering going to school for coding.  I have been reading the message boards of the coding professional organization and found it to be full of comments from new certified coders who can't find jobs without experience, and some have been looking for over a year.  I am leaving the MT field after only 6 years due to salaries going into the tank with SR.  I think coding would be a good fit for me, but hate to spend thousands of dollars and a year of school time on ...

If You Are A Certified Coder...
Nov 05, 2011

what other jobs would you be qualified for if by chance coding does disappear. There are quite a few posters saying it will. Thanks ...

Transcriptionist To Coder
Nov 14, 2011

Hello everyone.  I have posted here before about this topic. I am thinking about taking a coding course, probably through Andrews, and was wondering which credential to get first...the CPC or CCS?  Which one is more desirable for employers?  If there are any other credentials I would need, please let me know because I have just started researching this.  Thank you. ...

Questions For CODER
Jun 05, 2012

I have read many of your postings and find them all to be extremely intelligent, informative, and logical.  Here is my situation.  Seven years as MT (mostly acute care accounts with H&P's, discharge summaries, consultations, operations and procedures).  I have a BA in biology and a master's in ecology.  Was making good income until editing replaced transcribing, plus industry rates keep going down with constant buyouts/mergers.  I am 61 years old. I h ...

My Experience MT To Coder
Jul 14, 2013

I just wanted to share my experience with those who are interested in reading.  I discovered this board about 2 years ago.  Actually, I used this board very frequently when I was a MT, and then discovered the coding/medical billing link and started to peruse the coversations.  I did what I could to find out how to research coding schools, ask the important questions, and I decided to attend Andrews.  Absolutely no regrets there.  I started my coding training first throug ...

Coder And Coder2 -- Help?!
Sep 21, 2013

I am grappling with something in my mind.  Can you clarify it for me?  What would be the difference between a late effect and a past history when you are coding?   In my book they say "Leg pain resulting from old fracture" or "Intellectual disability due to previous poliomyelitis".  And that's obviously a late effect.  But in my mind, I just can't see doctors telling you that so prettily and obviously.  How do you know if something is a late effe ...

What My Coder Friends Said
Mar 12, 2014

"Idiots!!!  Take the FREE LUNCH!" "OMG!  What is wrong with them?" "Who ARE these people?   Are they insane?  They have to be insane." "And they think coders only make that much?  Hahahahaha!" "Seriously?  They think a 2-year commitment is a problem?  Wow. Just wow." "Sticky notes?  They would pass on this because of STICKY NOTES?" "Nobody told me there were sticky notes.  Are they special or something?  Are we going to order some?  Wi ...

Coder II Job Description
Mar 14, 2014

Can anyone tell me if this is an entry level coder job or does it sound like they are looking for a more experienced person? I am taking the CPC-H exam June 6th. It states medical records coder II.  Qualifications: EDUCATION: Associate Degree in Health Information Technology preferred. Eligible for RHIT or coding certification. SUMMARY OF DUTIES: Codes all diagnosis and procedures on discharged inpatient, and outpatient charts using ICD-9 diagnosis codes, ICD-9 procedure c ...

MM Coder Training.
Jun 27, 2014

Have you heard any more about whether MM will be offering the program again in July? ...

OMG! Just Got A New Job As An Inhouse Coder
Jul 12, 2014

(not my first), and STARTING pay is $60K a year!  I'm ecstatic!  Can't give out the name of the hospital, but will give out the state:  OREGON ...

How Is The MM Coder Program Going?
Oct 27, 2014

in progress and success. Have the glitches all been ironed out? Are you finding it easier now that you've gotten your feet wet? ...

Amphion- MT To Coder?
Nov 10, 2014

Do any current Amphion employees know anything about their MT to Coder program? Is it hard to get into, or require a certain amount of time there?  Just taking a shot in the dark, as I cant find any other info other than whats on their website. ...

New Coder Question
Mar 19, 2015

I am researching my options on schooling...coding versus nursing...to get away from being an MT. The programs for coding to get my CCS and CPC do not take federal financial aide and require a deposit and then monthly payments or some other form of up front payment..... the nursing program will take me much longer than I really want to take right now (on top of having to continue to work full time-- not sure if I could actually even tackle a nursing program while working) BUT because it is a prog ...

Am I Too Old To Be Studying To Be A Medical Coder
Jun 14, 2010

Dear Coders: I am a medical transcriptionist and I want to transition into medical coding.  I am 53 and I want to know if you think I am too old to start a new career as a medical coder. I would like to start the Andrews School or Career Step on September 1, 2010.  I would like some advice.  Thanks.l Doozer ...

MT Interested In Becoming Biller/coder
Oct 06, 2010

Can anyone tell me if there is an online course, school, how long it takes, or what I need to do to find out how much it costs etc, to train in medical billing or coding. I have been an MT for 20 years and need to find a new and/or additional career. Thank you so much for your help.  ...

Starting Salary For New Coder With CCS
Dec 19, 2010

Wondering if anyone can tell me what the starting salary might be for an inpatient coder with CCS with no coding experience but with 5+ years transcription experience (NYC/NJ area).  I would like to know what the salary might be before I sign up for a course.  Thanks!  ...

Same Situation, Past Coder
Aug 28, 2011

Hi, I am in the same situation for being a past coder.  I coded for about 10 years and then did transcription to raise my family.  Now I would very much like to pursue the coding field and get certified.  My schedule limits me from taking outside classes as I am working all different hours part time.  Is there anything decent that would help me refresh my skills and update them on line in order to pass the certification exam down the road or is that totally out of the questi ...

Stay At Home Mom To Coder.....
Apr 20, 2012

I've been a stay at home mom for 7 years. My youngest daughter was born with a heart defect so we decided that it would be great for me to stay home and focus on being a mom. Well 7 years later I decided to get back to work. Since I've been at home for that long I also decided to go back to school to get an education and gain experience to be able to get a job above minimum wage!!! I tried to go to school for coding about 6 years ago but because of health circumstances with her I had t ...

Remote Coder Question
Jun 07, 2012

Does anyone know what remote coders are getting paid, i.e. how much per report.  I am an IC looking for coding position at home. ...