A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

"State Certified" Birth Certificate - Linda

Posted: Apr 25, 2015

I took some pre-employment documents to a notary yesterday.  The birth certificate, issued by the hospital where I was born 62 years ago, I was told would not do for ID because it was not "state certified".  In order to get a state certified birth certificate, you have to have the notary certify they have seen my birth certificate, then the state issues one they call "certified".  This makes absolutely no sense to me and only delays employment.  Anyone else had this experience?

Sure - Happened after 9/11

[ In Reply To ..]
Had to send off for my state certified BC to get my driver's license and other things.

Birth certificate - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
I'm the same age as you, so your post caught my eye. I went and pulled my birth certificate from my file to see if there was a certification on it. Indeed there is. It's notarized (embossed) with a stamp that actually has the name of the state, and there's a also a short paragraph on the side that states, "This is to certify that the above is a true and correct copy of the original certificate, which has become a perpetual record in the archives of the (state) Department of Public Health..." Then it's signed with red ink and "Vital Records Service."

This is the first time I've ever examined it closely, but I've never had to use it for any purpose that I can recall.

Nothing to do with 9/11, a copy of your - BC just does not work

[ In Reply To ..]
in every situation. I have requested and obtained ones over the years (before 9/11) to be certified, red seal of state.

Well, a copy of my BC - always worked before

[ In Reply To ..]
09/11, getting a job, getting a license, etc. After 09/11, I was told at the license bureau that because of new regs I had to have a certified copy of my BC. So it did have to do with 9/11 for some of us.
Tried goggling and came up with nothing - about 9/11 new BC but
[ In Reply To ..]
most talked about certified which I have had for years now. Maybe a slow day and the person you spoke with just trying to work up a conversation with you. Nothing new on Google noted. Think someone was kidding you. I just checked my passport, did not turn the old one in, lost that one and started all over. New one obtained 2011. Sent in my certified BC and got it because never had another kind of BC.
Real ID - see link
[ In Reply To ..]
http://www.dmv.org/articles/the-real-id-act-are-you-ready-for-a-national-id/

I moved to MO and this is what they told me: Because of 9/11, my old driver's license from KS wasn't "proof" and my copy of my BC from the hospital wasn't "proof" and I had to send off for my state certified BC
I think that is exactly what I have been saying all - along, raised red seal certified BC
[ In Reply To ..]
You keep talking about 9/11 as if that made any difference in "identification." Places just never accepted "copies" of birth certificates, not now, not before 9/11. I started getting passports in the 80s and then you had to have a "certified, red raised seal birth certificate." In 2011 after I had lost the first one and needed another passport, I again had to send in a "certified, red raised seal birth certificate." I would have never thought to send in a copy of my BC just like I know they would never accept my driver's license as ID. I said, might have been a slow day as far as the statement about "after 9/11" because places always want BCs that are "certified," not copies. Flying in the US we are able to use driver's license as ID. I never do this, always use my passport as it is about the best ID you can have.
Sure they did - My photocopy of my
[ In Reply To ..]
hospital-issued BC was accepted in every job I ever had (I'm 61). Anytime I moved to a different state, my old DL was proof of ID until I moved to MO lately and 9/11 is the reason they gave me. That's my story. Yours is different. Fine.
Towel thrown in - NM
[ In Reply To ..]
State certified birth certificate - Tinker
[ In Reply To ..]
I had to have a state certified birth certificate in the 1980s when I applied for my first passport.

BC - Dotts

[ In Reply To ..]
I am in Illinois and yes I had a hospital birth certificate, even with my footprints on it (don't know if that was because I am an identical twin), but had to contact the Lake County, Illinois courthouse to obtain a legal birth certificate copy at a cost of $5 I think. Never heard of "state certified" as you mention it; not sure what they mean by that. You normally contact the County seat where you were born.

Had to get certified BC after my father - died and

[ In Reply To ..]
you get it from the state where they were born, I guess that is where the "state" certificate is coming from. Fairly easy process for me. I think I also got BC for his wife (my stepmom) after her death, again from the state in which she was born. My brother killed in a wreck in my state (he lived in another) and mother asked me to see about getting certified death certificate here and was able to do that from our state.

Birth certificate - all smiles

[ In Reply To ..]
Birth certificates are managed state by state, so what is valid in one state may be different in another.

My birth certificate has said "state certified" and has a stamp on it for decades, long before 9/11.

I think it is because the original birth certificates are on microfilm microfiche or whatever, and they are looking at the original, then creating a certification.

When age 16, I had to obtain my birth certificate to get my driver's license. It had been destroyed in a fire. So I had to supply them with the hospital copy (footprints and all) to get an original birth certificate made.

Interestingly, on my legal certified birth certificate obtained in 1992, they got my mom's name wrong. I'm not dealing with that. Too much government red tape.

My birth cert has a state seal on it, that's what they mean sm - acuteMLS

[ In Reply To ..]
and the last time I had to get one it was $45 from the state I was born.

It has to have a seal on it.

when I say seal I mean the raised seal imprinted on it. - acuteMLS

[ In Reply To ..]
xx

$45 - cherylin

[ In Reply To ..]
That's pretty expensive. What if you don't get the job after going to that much trouble and expense.

Everyone should have a certified birth certificate, so you'll still have one nm - acuteMLS

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

Thanks for replies. Not a copy. - Linda

[ In Reply To ..]
I appreciate all the replies. Like another woman in her 60's state, I have never needed any other birth certificate than the one I got from the hospital where I was born 62 years ago with my footprints stamped on it - not a copy, an original document. I've worked for 3 other services, only one required a notary, and this was the first time I heard that I need a state certified BC. It's kind of ridiculous as I have to get a notary to stamp a form saying they have viewed my original BC from the hospital and based on that they grant a certified BC. So, why not just use the original to start with?

To me sounds like a backwards state - where I live you can pay

[ In Reply To ..]
a notary to sign most anything, having the notary sounds like just a middle man to go through. He said, she said, they said.

Similar Messages:

If You Are Working For A Company In Another State, Do They Follow Their State Rules Or Your States?
May 12, 2010

x ...

Capitalization - Is It.. Board Certified Or Board Certified ?
Mar 08, 2011

is it.. Board Certified or board certified ? ...

Is AA Or Certificate Better Or?
Jan 04, 2011

IS a Associates or certificate better in Coding?  Does it matter as long as you pass the exam which one you have? ...

HIPPA Certificate
Jun 26, 2011

Just wondering if any other MTs have have taken the new HIPPA compliance test?  ...

Need Help In Choosing The Certificate!
Jul 29, 2010

I have completed the medical transcription course with an excellent grade. I am asked to either choose a letter of completion from them, at no cost or a certificate from a list of colleges (with a nominal fee, I do not mind paying). I need suggestions please. Thanks! ...

Child Birth
Jan 12, 2013

Hi. "Frontal vaginal delivery" Simple, duh, I have brain freeze. Can someone help. Thanks. ...

Q.E.D. Wants My Birth Date
Jul 14, 2013

I started the application for Q.E.D. Transcription and saw that the initial section requires a birth date. It won't stop me from applying, but isn't that a form of discrimination? I wish the MTSOs would at least provide a secure site when they require personal information such as physical address and phone. ...

Discrepancy On Birth Date
Mar 18, 2011

I'm new at this, so please don't rail me. The doc says she's an 87-year-old woman, but dictates her birth date as 2003. What do you do in cases like this? ...

Name Of Birth Control Pills?
Sep 22, 2011

Sounds like Prosidia or Lucidia? Cell phone dictation, which is completely warped. The patient has dysmenorrhea and anemia from heavy menses and is going in for a supracervical hysterectomy (this is a preoperative HP), so I would really appreciate the help. Just installed new hard drive, and Stedman's loaded my software incorrectly, so it is uninstalled for now. Way past the birth control pills age. Thanks! ...

Birth Control Pill?
Dec 05, 2011

A female patient is in for symptoms of vaginitis, STD check as well as needing birth control...anybody ever heard of "Librelle?"  Dictated..."She can go with the "Librelle" as she wants, 3 months at a time and metronidazole.....blah, blah, blah...."  I can't seem to verify it anywhere. Thanks for the help! ...

HIPAA Training And Certificate
Sep 10, 2012

Just wondering where to go through to get my HIPAA certificate?  ...

Companies That Will Allow Testing Without A Certificate
Nov 15, 2013

Does anyone know which companies will allow transcription testing for potential employment, without having a transcription degree/certificate?  I know there are some, I'm just not having any luck finding them! ...

Birth Weight Or Birthweight? 1 Or 2 Words?
Jun 09, 2010

I've seen it both ways.  Are both ways correct?  TIA ...

F5 Client Look Up Security Certificate Outdated?
Nov 08, 2010

I just signed on to work and needed to look up a Client Profile to double-check their protocol.  I get this message from windows with a big alert that the site I am trying to connect to their Certificate of Security has expired??? Say What???? I had to pick a choice to go to the site and windows did not want me to do it saying my computer could be corrupted, etc.  I did get to the profile, but what the heck does this mean??? Is it just me or has Medquist forgot to refile something?&nbs ...

I Thought About Getting A Nail Technician Certificate.
Jan 29, 2013

But the cost is around $5,000, the time is short only 6 months, but with working full time I would have no life with the classes being 4 hours every evening and 7 hours on Saturday. Okay, so if I commit myself to all of that, will I even be able to find a place to work? Most of the nail salons these days are chock full of Vietnamese workers. I rarely see salons with American nail technicians anymore.  What I would love to do is open my own salon, but where would I get the funds to do someth ...

Anyone Have A Website For A Cheatsheet Year Of Birth=age?
Feb 06, 2013

I cannot find the website where I printed it out last year. TIA. ...

Who Would Have Copy Of Medical Transcription Certificate School Closed
Apr 12, 2010

Hi, I need my transcription certificate from Tennessee Career College which I graduated from in 2006. The school is now closed and I have misplaced original certificate. Who would have a copy of that. The Dept of Education? Thanks Lesnbek ...

Can A Twin Gestation Have Different Birth Dates A Couple Weeks Apart
Feb 19, 2011

Both twins are the same gestational age in weeks and days, but on one twin he gives the EDD of 15 days later than the other twin.  Is that possible or do you think he made a mistake in EDD dates? ...

Getting Certified
Apr 01, 2013

I'm currently studying my rear off to become certified, CMT license.  Have almost 15 years of experience under my belt doing this but don't want to waste my time if there won't even be a market for us anymore.  Should I keep going?  Is it worth it?  Can't decide. ...

Getting Certified Without Going To School
Sep 29, 2010

Would it be possible to get certified if you have not attended school?  I have a friend who has worked as a coder for almost 20 years and has never pursued her certification.  Can she just take the test and become certified and still reap the same benefits as someone who completed a course and then became certified?  I am trying to convince her to do it and have even offered to help her study but I wanted to make sure she doesn't have to attend school to do so. ...

If You Are A Certified Coder...
Nov 05, 2011

what other jobs would you be qualified for if by chance coding does disappear. There are quite a few posters saying it will. Thanks ...

Is It Worth Getting Certified?
May 22, 2012

I am wondering if anyone has any advice on becoming a CMT. I have been doing transcription for almost 15 years and I am wondering if I can really make more money if I get my CMT. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated. ...

Certified Letter
Apr 30, 2013

Doc is dictating a letter and wants "Certified" in the letter. Can anyone tell me where to place this in the letter? Thanks! ...

Grads:Certified Ratio
Nov 16, 2010

I am still deciding which coding school will be the best for me.  I was wondering what the grad:certification ratios are for these coding schools.  Does anyone know if this information is available to the general public? ...

ADHI CERTIFIED/EXPERIENCE
Jan 16, 2011

I saw a job posted on line for and MT with two years experience in radiology but ADHI certified is a must.  I have 28 years experience but I am not certified. After 28 years I am still learn new terminology every day.  What makes a company just because someone is certified that they are going to be a great MT?  I see no reason to be certified right now because medical transcription is really dying off.  ...

Certified MT Test/just Wondering
Mar 18, 2011

Just wondering if most/all MT's take the state certification test. I was told that it wasn't neccessary to take the test to get a job, but that it helps. ...

Certified Tumor Registrar
Jun 09, 2011

I have a question, if someone would be so kind. What is the protocol of becoming a Certified Tumor Registrar? Does this happen after one has been coding for awhile? Are there certain credentials? I have researched online and am still confused. Thank you! ...

Certified Letter From Nuance
Sep 21, 2012

I left Nuance a couple of weeks ago and got what i believe is my last check this past pay period and a check for PTO.  I just got a notice of a certified letter from them, any ideas what it could be?   Thanks ...

Medquist Has Been Certified Under The TAA, Or Trade Act, Program
Oct 22, 2009

Medquist has been certified under the TAA, or Trade Act, Program.  This means that former Medquist employees who lost their jobs can get funds to go to school as well as help paying for their COBRA premiums.  They need to go to their local Workforce center to apply.  Here's the site:  http://www.doleta.gov/tradeact/ ...

Certified Cancer Tumor Registrar (CTR)?
May 21, 2014

I just got a flier in the mail from AHIMA about becoming a CTR or Certified Cancer Tumor Registrar.  I have never heard of this and so my curioisty is piqued.  My question is could this be another career or is it another way AHIMA is trying to get money out of us?  I am not sure if the hospitals or clinics in my area would need a CTR but I will also be doing my research!  Thanks! ...