A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Job Availability for New Coder - Bizzi One

Posted: Feb 09, 2011

I am planning on enrolling in Andrews School to begin a new career in medical coding and also plan to become certified following that.  While looking at job opportunities, I see that most ALL job openings require 2-5 years experience in this profession.  On the other hand, I also read where this field of work is in demand of more coders.  Obviously, after finishing my course and becoming certified, I don't expect to walk right in and nail down the first job or two that I apply for, but if the medical coding field is going to be "in demand" of coders (even today), will there be opportunities for "new coders" to qualify for these job openings - or do you think we all will need to start at just getting our foot in the door of a hospital/clinic at a very low salary and work our way up to an average salary.  The reason I ask is, I currently work full time (yes, for the government), as well as part time doing medical transcription,  but am wanting to take early retirement from my government job and change careers to medical coding. I am single, own my home - with monthly house payments, and have bills to pay.  One thing I know for certain is that I cannot leave my current job with my current salary ($44,000 per year), and think that I can start a new job in medical coding at $29,000 (more/less) and be able to live on that income. I can take a somewhat of a cut, and certainly understand that I will have to do that - just not a HUGE cut.

Can anyone give me any advice about the job market/salary outlook and is there anyone else who may be in my shoes also. 

Thanks so much!

coding - Elsa

[ In Reply To ..]
Without coding experience the coding certificate will not get you a coding job. I've had my certificate for 7 years but it always comes down to 'we don't want to spend the time training.' They always want somebody with 2 or more years experience AND the coding certificate. If I knew then what I know now I would have saved the money I spent on the coding programs.

Elsa - Anonymous

[ In Reply To ..]
Thank you very much for your honesty. I'm a student just finishing my program and find what you say to be true. The ads that I have seen want experience plus certification. I'm hoping to get hired by my current employer where I work as an MT, they will take on new coders and let them train, otherwise I don't think my chances will be too good unless I take an entry level job and work my way up, I do find that they want you to come in and be ready to go, but I think employers in all occupations look for that. I didn't go to Andrews, maybe that would have made a difference. I want to stay in transcription as long as there is a job for me anyway. You didn't say, but are you currently working as a coder?

coding - elsa

[ In Reply To ..]
Nope, still working as a transcriptionist.

Certificate versus certification - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
I had no experience, but I got a job, and I know lots of people who had no experience, but got jobs. I don't know anyone, in fact, who had experience coding before getting a job in coding. Virtually EVERY coder out there once had no experience, yet GOT A JOB. How else would it happen???

Just to be clear, there is a huge difference between a certificaTE and a certificaTION. A certificaTE saying you finished a program isn't much help in getting a job, that's true. However, a certificaTION from AHIMA or the AAPC is entirely different.

I am pretty sure you are not an AAPC or AHIMA-certified coder because if you were, you would have phrased your email differently. You would have said something like "I'm a __(fill in the certification and organization)__," rather than "I've had my certificate for."

It can be difficult for anyone to get a job, but sometimes it's not the career field that is at fault. In your email, you project a negative attitude and a lack of understanding of coding, of certifications, and of what employers want. You might be so discouraged now that this would be expected, but it's probably what has kept you from getting a job. Employers may have picked up on misunderstandings. If they are telling you that they don't have time to train, then they have pegged you as a person who NEEDS training and needs more than they can afford. They're telling you that they don't think your preparation is adequate, not that they don't hire people without experience.

I agree - ....

[ In Reply To ..]
I agree. On the AAPC website under job postings, I am totally shocked at the number of people replying to a post with misspelled words, bad grammar, and unable to follow directions of the poster. I am currently enrolled at our local college in a coding program and will sit for the certificaTION exam (either CPC or CPC-H) later this year. I am planning on offering to intern (for free) a couple of hours a day at local clinics and/or hospital to gain hands on experience and have successfully lined up a couple already. Being in MT, I can adjust my schedule to accommodate a couple of hours a day to intern and hopefully will prove that I am quite capable of coding.

Outlook - Coder

[ In Reply To ..]
Not ALL jobs REQUIRE 2-5 years experience. Some might, but the rest of them would be hard put to fill their jobs because there aren't enough experienced coders to go around. Something like 1/3 of all coding jobs sit around empty because there just aren't enough coders. Most employers will say they PREFER experience, but they will still hire without it, especially if the coder has an AAPC or AHIMA certification.

And, franky, with one or both of those, you shouldn't avoid applying even if they say experience is required--you need the experience of applying and interviewing. You need to learn to write a resume that will convey your seriousness and competence. You need practice presenting a polished professional image, too.

It is so possible to get hired without experience that some people start looking early and get easy coding jobs or jobs doing something in coding, but maybe not full-fledged coding, while they are still in school.

Do I think you'll need to start at a very low salary? No, I don't. I don't think that because I've seen the salary surveys. One is on the AAPC website. You should be able to find it.

To Coder - Bizzi One

[ In Reply To ..]
Coder - Thanks for your reply. You've given me some encouragement to proceed forward with my plans. I've been a state employee for 27 years, and it's just a little nerve racking to switch gears into a new career at my age with the hopes of "surviving" in this day and age. In hind-sight, I should have gone into the medical field 30 years ago - but didn't. I love learning all I can about it....

Thanks again!

Similar Messages:

Question For Coder & Coder 2
Sep 28, 2013

When asked to code pulmonary nodule, with no other information, how can you tell the correct code?  Under nodule I see pulmonary, solitary 793.11, I see lung, solitary 793.11 & solitary, lung 518.89. I already know that the 518 one is correct but I have no idea why. ...

ExecuScribe Availability, Pay, Etc..
Oct 11, 2011

Any current info on this company as of 2011, as in work availability, pay, etc..   I can't find them listed on the BBB's website and that concerns me.  Is there another way to check on a company to see if they're legit? ...

How Do You Check Job Availability
Feb 03, 2013

How do you check job availability? Thank you so much! ...

Work Availability
Sep 06, 2013

I am in California but as I understood the law, if they REQUIRE you to return to work and they still cannot provide work, they are REQUIRED to pay you work availability again.  Isn't that true?  Also I have only seen any of this in emails.  Why hasn't the policy officially been changed yet.  Working on researching a complaint with the labor board.  This is BS. ...

Do We Do Work Availability?
Sep 26, 2014

s ...

VR Rates And Work Availability
Nov 15, 2010

Can anyone tell me what the following companies pay for VR?  I would also really like to know if anyone has any problems with no work available, trouble meeting quotas, "funny" line counts, etc. I am job shopping and this is my short list of companies.  (Though I am really looking at Webmedx)  1.  Webmedx 2.  Diskriter. 3.  Precyse. 4.   Proscript. Thank in advance for any information you are wiling to share! ...

NJA And Work Availability. Different For Each Account?
Nov 24, 2012

I'm so mixed up. What I read here about no jobs available and what we are being  required to do is much different.  Originally we were told to check for work every 30 minutes and could enter 30 min of work availability, but had to stay all shift.   The following day after doing this we get an email that says that was wrong and we can only have 15 min work availability and the time cards would be corrected to take out that extra 15 min originally instructed to include.&n ...

Curious About Something,,availability Of Work
Dec 31, 2012

Those of you with limited work, I mean really low line counts..What tier are you?  Im a 3 and I rarely run out of work..Wondering if they are limiting based on experience? Not that that is right, the whole thing just makes no sense ...

Work Availability E-mail
Jan 20, 2014

Anyone else get this e-mail.  WOW.  Unbelievable.  In part: . . . there are 2 options for when we have NJA/WA   1.  Make up time the same day NJA occurs.  If you can't get in all time throughout the day to contact  TSM to make up additional time when slots are available.  DO NOT work outside your hours on any other day without permission from TSM.   2.  PTO. There is no excused absence to be used for time not able to get in.  . . .& ...

Work Availability Controlled By Schools?
Aug 26, 2010

All summer, my work has been slowly but steadily drying up.   "NJA" pops up so often, my PC screen is now starting to show those letters in that spot, even when I'm not logged on.  When your work gets slow, and you contact your company to inquire about it, don't you just WONDER how our workflow could possibly be tied-in with your local educational system?  I know I sure do. May 2010:   Reason for NJA?   "School is almost over." Early June 2010 ...

How Do You Figure Your Work Availability Time?
Nov 23, 2012

Like say you wait 5 minutes, get a job, no job, wait 5 minutes, get a job, no job, etc., till you have accumulated 15 minutes, but then how do you show it on the clock? Or do you restart the clock each time a job comes in? ...

I Am Thinking Of Clocking In Under Work Availability While
Apr 25, 2013

If I am sitting at my computer waiting for jobs to come in every 5-13 minutes, I should be paid. I should not have to be penalized by an adverse effect on my line count if I were to stay clocked in as production. Waiting for jobs while clocked out is still being on the job if you are signed into Fluency. So, the way I figure, you are still working, but off the clock. Plus, as proof that you are working off the clock, your Fluency log in time will be greater than your clocked in time. ...

How Do We Enter Tech DT - Under Work Availability?
May 18, 2015

x ...

MT To Coder?
Aug 28, 2011

Hello all.  I am currently an MT and for many reasons I am considering leaving that career.  I was wondering about coding and billing.  How is the pay?  As an MT I have seen the pay go down considerably over the years and was wondering if coding/billing is in the same boat. Also, would you recommend becoming a coder in this economy?  Which school has the best program?  Thanks. ...

Coder/cmt
Jan 15, 2012

Anyone who went into coding from MT, are/were you a CMT and if so did you keep your CMT credential up after being in coding a while or did you let it fall away seeing really no further need for it?  Having to keep up coding credentials is enough and I wonder if I really need to keep it.   Any reasons why I should keep it?  ...

MT To Coder
Feb 16, 2012

Question about coding bootcamps, does anyone have any experience with HCPro bootcamps?  I have been an MT for 17+ years and want to switch to coding.  Would this be appropriate for someone with my background?  Thanks for the help.  ...

MT-to-Coder
Nov 06, 2012

Deleted. ...

Not A Coder
Jul 26, 2013

I'm not a medical coder.  The only ties I have to the medical profession is that I'm a patient.  This transition from ICD-9 to ICD-10, exactly how is this happening.  Do you all have to go back to school to learn ICD-10?  From the outside looking in, it sounds like a major undertaking, but hopefully it's not. ...

An MT To A Coder
Sep 21, 2014

I am posting to (hopefully) give coding students hope, not to get dislikes on my post, but it is what it is. Here's my story: I graduated from coding school about a year ago, after being an MT for over 25 years. I am working as a coder and I am learning every day (reminds me of back in the day as a a new MT). There were so many days when I wanted to give up on coding because, let's face it, it's not easy, but I didn't. I honestly think I will make it as a coder, but I probabl ...

From MT To GT To Coder
May 10, 2015

Just saying hi, and I really appreciate this board.  I've been lurking for a while.  I went to Career Step for medical transcription, but soon after graduating, I found the quick turn around time for MT just didn't work for my toddler and homeschooler, so I switched to GT. Now, 5 years later, it's time to switch things up again, and I've always been interested in the behind the scenes medical paperwork (as nerdy as that sounds!). So feeling kind of lost, I de ...

Advice On Getting First Job From A Coder
Jul 12, 2010

The following is a post I found on the AAPC web site. I asked the poster first if it was okay to re-post here and he said okay.  Quote begins as follows: My first coding job was about six years ago. I had called a local college asking about some health billing classes and as I was about to hang up the phone I asked the lady "by the way how do you get your first job in this field?". She said "it's kind of tough, but wait, someone put a card up on the board yesterday...". She got a car ...

EMR Vs Medical Coder
May 25, 2011

I hope this is not a dumb question, but do need some enlightening.  I was at my doctor's office this morning and in the midst of the exam we got to talking about my goal to take the medical coding schooling (through Andrews). She was concerned that with the EMR process today, medical coders would not be as involved with actual coding as they have been in the past and therefore the job market not as promising. My doctor's clinic has the computer screen in the office and she sh ...

Glad I'm Not A Coder
Sep 12, 2011

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424053111904103404576560742746021106.html?mod=WSJ_hp_MIDDLENexttoWhatsNewsThird ...

Finding A Job As A New Coder
Sep 30, 2011

I am an MT considering going to school for coding.  I have been reading the message boards of the coding professional organization and found it to be full of comments from new certified coders who can't find jobs without experience, and some have been looking for over a year.  I am leaving the MT field after only 6 years due to salaries going into the tank with SR.  I think coding would be a good fit for me, but hate to spend thousands of dollars and a year of school time on ...

If You Are A Certified Coder...
Nov 05, 2011

what other jobs would you be qualified for if by chance coding does disappear. There are quite a few posters saying it will. Thanks ...

Transcriptionist To Coder
Nov 14, 2011

Hello everyone.  I have posted here before about this topic. I am thinking about taking a coding course, probably through Andrews, and was wondering which credential to get first...the CPC or CCS?  Which one is more desirable for employers?  If there are any other credentials I would need, please let me know because I have just started researching this.  Thank you. ...

Questions For CODER
Jun 05, 2012

I have read many of your postings and find them all to be extremely intelligent, informative, and logical.  Here is my situation.  Seven years as MT (mostly acute care accounts with H&P's, discharge summaries, consultations, operations and procedures).  I have a BA in biology and a master's in ecology.  Was making good income until editing replaced transcribing, plus industry rates keep going down with constant buyouts/mergers.  I am 61 years old. I h ...

My Experience MT To Coder
Jul 14, 2013

I just wanted to share my experience with those who are interested in reading.  I discovered this board about 2 years ago.  Actually, I used this board very frequently when I was a MT, and then discovered the coding/medical billing link and started to peruse the coversations.  I did what I could to find out how to research coding schools, ask the important questions, and I decided to attend Andrews.  Absolutely no regrets there.  I started my coding training first throug ...

Coder And Coder2 -- Help?!
Sep 21, 2013

I am grappling with something in my mind.  Can you clarify it for me?  What would be the difference between a late effect and a past history when you are coding?   In my book they say "Leg pain resulting from old fracture" or "Intellectual disability due to previous poliomyelitis".  And that's obviously a late effect.  But in my mind, I just can't see doctors telling you that so prettily and obviously.  How do you know if something is a late effe ...

What My Coder Friends Said
Mar 12, 2014

"Idiots!!!  Take the FREE LUNCH!" "OMG!  What is wrong with them?" "Who ARE these people?   Are they insane?  They have to be insane." "And they think coders only make that much?  Hahahahaha!" "Seriously?  They think a 2-year commitment is a problem?  Wow. Just wow." "Sticky notes?  They would pass on this because of STICKY NOTES?" "Nobody told me there were sticky notes.  Are they special or something?  Are we going to order some?  Wi ...