A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Finding a job as a new coder - LK

Posted: Sep 30, 2011

I am an MT considering going to school for coding.  I have been reading the message boards of the coding professional organization and found it to be full of comments from new certified coders who can't find jobs without experience, and some have been looking for over a year.  I am leaving the MT field after only 6 years due to salaries going into the tank with SR.  I think coding would be a good fit for me, but hate to spend thousands of dollars and a year of school time on something that won't pay off in the end.  I only have about 10 years left to work, but need to do something where I can bring in a decent income.   Anybody out there who is a recent coding grad who could give me some insight?  Is this field as tough to break into as it sounds?  Thanks for any advice. 

What kind of certification are they saying that they have? - Just wondering

[ In Reply To ..]
Did they say what kind of "certification" they have? There are all kinds, and even some flaky organizations that are out there "certifying" coders, not to mention the schools that tell their students they are "certified" when they graduate. Did they say what kind of certification(s) they hold?

Also, some may have other reasons why they are not employable - See message

[ In Reply To ..]
It would be interesting to see their resumes, etc. Then there are personality and work ethics that also keep people from passing job interviews.

I am newly credentialed as a CPC - sm - Coder-to-be

[ In Reply To ..]
There are NO jobs out there for me in my area. Everyone wants experience, it is true. No experience = no job offers.

I hold out hope that coders who can will retire before ICD-10 so they don't have to learn it. I really enjoyed coding class so I can't say I'm sorry that I did it.

It's difficult to get a job in ANY field. - Coder

[ In Reply To ..]
Think about this . . . every working coder I know at one time applied for that first job without experience. Coders who have no experience get jobs every day--I see it happen.

It is difficult to get a job in ANY field. I've even seen nurses who couldn't get jobs, and the job market for lawyers is horrible. Even physicians can have difficulty finding jobs.

As someone mentioned, personality factors play a large part in this. Eeyores need not apply. People who need constant supervision need not apply. People who are unprofessional need not apply. Lots of things will shut you out of a job.

When you're in a competitive situation applying for a job that requires smarts and drive, well, then that's what you need to exhibit. As several people have noted below, it is recommended that you get both the CPC and the CCS. That maximizes your opportunities. Even if you do not think you want to do inpatient coding, getting that CCS says something positive about your smarts and drive--it says you went the extra mile for yourself and by extension for your future employer. It says you understand the job. It says you know MORE than the average applicant who has only a CPC.

Most importantly, it gives you credentials with employers no matter what their affiliation or preference is for a professional organization. If they're AAPC, you have the CPC. If they're AHIMA, you have the CCS.

If you don't have both, you effectively shut yourself out of half the job market, regardless of what type of coding it is. I don't know about you, but if it were me, I'd rather have more credentials than less. I'd plan ahead and take a program that provided enough to pass both, and then I'd take both until I passed them. That is, in fact, what I did, and it worked for me. I believe that it's what you need to do, too.

Great advice. - LK

[ In Reply To ..]
You're right - jobs are tough right now everywhere. You gave some great advice, and I do agree that if you have the right credentials, attitude, and determination, there are jobs to be had. Thanks for pointing that out.

Similar Messages:

Question For Coder & Coder 2
Sep 28, 2013

When asked to code pulmonary nodule, with no other information, how can you tell the correct code?  Under nodule I see pulmonary, solitary 793.11, I see lung, solitary 793.11 & solitary, lung 518.89. I already know that the 518 one is correct but I have no idea why. ...

Ekg Finding
Nov 22, 2009

EkG shows subacute S/L semi versus pericarditis. ...

Help Finding Gel Name
Apr 25, 2010

This is for a 7-yo with a chin laceration. Wound was anesthetized with s/l "lead" gel. Or could be bled gel, black gel-not clear at all.   Can anyone help here? ...

Finding A Job
Aug 11, 2010

I am getting ready to graduate from Penn Foster in the Medical Transcription program. I was real exited about this at first, but I am hearing that it is not easy to find a job. Does anyone know of a transcription company that hires newbies?                                                                      Jenny ...

MT To Coder?
Aug 28, 2011

Hello all.  I am currently an MT and for many reasons I am considering leaving that career.  I was wondering about coding and billing.  How is the pay?  As an MT I have seen the pay go down considerably over the years and was wondering if coding/billing is in the same boat. Also, would you recommend becoming a coder in this economy?  Which school has the best program?  Thanks. ...

Coder/cmt
Jan 15, 2012

Anyone who went into coding from MT, are/were you a CMT and if so did you keep your CMT credential up after being in coding a while or did you let it fall away seeing really no further need for it?  Having to keep up coding credentials is enough and I wonder if I really need to keep it.   Any reasons why I should keep it?  ...

MT To Coder
Feb 16, 2012

Question about coding bootcamps, does anyone have any experience with HCPro bootcamps?  I have been an MT for 17+ years and want to switch to coding.  Would this be appropriate for someone with my background?  Thanks for the help.  ...

MT-to-Coder
Nov 06, 2012

Deleted. ...

Not A Coder
Jul 26, 2013

I'm not a medical coder.  The only ties I have to the medical profession is that I'm a patient.  This transition from ICD-9 to ICD-10, exactly how is this happening.  Do you all have to go back to school to learn ICD-10?  From the outside looking in, it sounds like a major undertaking, but hopefully it's not. ...

An MT To A Coder
Sep 21, 2014

I am posting to (hopefully) give coding students hope, not to get dislikes on my post, but it is what it is. Here's my story: I graduated from coding school about a year ago, after being an MT for over 25 years. I am working as a coder and I am learning every day (reminds me of back in the day as a a new MT). There were so many days when I wanted to give up on coding because, let's face it, it's not easy, but I didn't. I honestly think I will make it as a coder, but I probabl ...

From MT To GT To Coder
May 10, 2015

Just saying hi, and I really appreciate this board.  I've been lurking for a while.  I went to Career Step for medical transcription, but soon after graduating, I found the quick turn around time for MT just didn't work for my toddler and homeschooler, so I switched to GT. Now, 5 years later, it's time to switch things up again, and I've always been interested in the behind the scenes medical paperwork (as nerdy as that sounds!). So feeling kind of lost, I de ...

Finding Own Clients PLEASE HELP
Oct 21, 2009

Hi Everyone, Right now the company I work for hardly has any work.  I am thinking about sending out a letter to local clinics and also maybe putting out an ad on craigslist for transcription work.  Have you tried this?  I have questions:   What things do I have to consider? How do I charge people (I know I can do line count in INstantText and figure out line count and cost)-is 10 CPL a good place to start?  Are there other costs I need to factor in?  How about tax ...

Finding PA/PAC Names!
Oct 28, 2009

For those "low-talkers" who won't spell the PA/PACs name, combined with my endless list of names, does anyone know the easiest way to just do a generic search for all of them? It's exhausting! Thanks, y'all! ...

Finding Another Job Vent
Oct 31, 2009

I need to find a new job.  The company I'm working for is replacing med transcriptionists with voice recognition and electronic health records.  This is not the first time this has happened either, . . it happened at another hospital I worked for.  The company's response was "you can go work for the service."  Yeah, right, at half the pay.  After working at a good in-house hospital job for nine years, I realize how home MTs are so mistreated.  And, ...

Still Having Trouble Finding This
Jan 30, 2010

I have asked this before and got an answer but do not see what was suggested I would be able to see.  After I have requested a day off in schedule source, if I go into the "days off" page, where is the approval?  I see a yellow box that says "request" but do not see anything about the answer to the request.  I also checked my calendar - is there something on the calendar about it?  Last time I made a request I found out at the last minute I did indeed have it off, but had not ...

New MT Finding Position
Jul 01, 2010

I am a current student at the MSU of Technology.  I am currently looking for a position in Medical Transcription or Medical Billing.  I am very fustrated.  PLEASE HELP!! ...

Finding Experience
Sep 20, 2010

Why is it so difficult to find a job in the MT field?  There are many more quality jobs for MT's that have 2+ years of experience.  Can I use my schooling as experience? How do I find a job as a graduate with an Associate Degree?   SB ...

Need Help Finding Pay Schedule Please
Oct 05, 2010

I lost pay schedule for the year in the e-mail purge. Can someone please help me? ...

Finding A Position?
Jan 18, 2011

I graduated from a medical transcription course last April.  I still haven't found a position. I have tried everything!  I have sent out resumes, flyers, letters to Dr. offices. I have applied at several of the companies online, and everyone wants experienced MT's, taking a course isn't enough!  Any ideas?  ...

Finding A Job For A Newbie...
Apr 22, 2011

Hi, Does anyone have advice for a "newbie" transcriptionist finding work?  It seems all the job ads want minimum 2 years experience.  I've just completed a medical transcription course and would appreciate any advise on finding work.  Thanks! Happy Easter!   ...

Finding It Hard To
Jan 17, 2012

sit at a keyboard for 8 hrs a day everyday.  Guess I'm just getting old.  Wish I could find part-time work.  Does anyone know of any good companies that will allow part-time (20-25 hrs)? Doesn't seem to be very many out there.  TIA. ...

Laparoscopy Finding
Jan 18, 2012

Dictated:  She underwent an uneventful laparoscopic right hemicolectomy for a right colon cancer.  Laparoscopy failed to reveal any signs of carcinomatosis or liver s/l studying or stutting.   Thanks for looking and for any help. ...

Knee MRI Finding
Feb 02, 2012

Dictated:  MRI reported as positive for minimal s/l truckation (truh-KAY-shun) of the posterior horn of the lateral meniscus, possibly secondary to prior injury.  No displaced meniscal fragment was identified. I was thinking "truncation" (shortening), but does that fit in context?  I have not heard with regard to menisci before. Thanks for any help. ...

Laboratory Finding
Oct 21, 2012

Doctor is dictating "Assessment and Plan" findings. She is dictating about Restless Legs.  She dictates "Looking at his last labs, his  (sounds like Endo sees) were low. " Not sure what "Endosees" or "Indosees" or it even could be "NDCs are low." I am not sure what she is dictating. I cannot locate anything close to that. Wondering if it has anything to do the patient's iron level.. any help would be appreciated. Thanks! ...

Finding MT Remote Job
Dec 01, 2012

I recently obtained my Certificate from a community college for Medical Transcription/Coding. I also work full time at our county mental health clinic, scheduling appointments for patients, answering telephones and transcribing reports for 3 psychiatrists (2 speaking in broken Indian dialect). I have submitted many resumes online to all types of transcription agencies and physician's offices. Can anyone tell me how long it takes to get a job as a remote transcriptionist and if you have any ...

Disability & Finding A Job
Dec 19, 2012

I am ready to come off of disability. Should I tell whomever I am applying with that I am on it? ...

My BOB Is Finding Out Restricting PT To 28
Nov 26, 2013

PT has been offered to work anything less than 37 hours.  Do ya think they will reinstate PT PTO as the next bribe to get more PT'ers to work? ...

Is Anyone Having Any Luck Finding A Job Right Now Or Is It
Dec 02, 2013

actually getting worse than before.  I have a lot of experience and can do ESLs very well.  ...

Don't Give Up On Finding A New Job
Dec 30, 2013

I have been transcribing for 31 years. Hospital laid us off in 2008, went with our contract provider, then Nuance took over her employees. I have been looking for a job for over a year and finally found one. Starting on Jan. 6, I will be working for a local pathology office doing minimum transcription as well as other things, meaning no more sitting all day long looking at a dumb computer. It is 8-5 M-F. They are starting me out at $13.50 an hr. The only problem I have is Nuance wants me to give ...

Is Age A Factor In Not Finding An MT Job?
Mar 31, 2014

Have any of you had a hard time finding work as an MT because of age discrimination?  I have run into this for the very first time this year.  I have not worked for a few months because they laid off a lot of MTs at the company I worked for; mainly because they promised something they could not give.  We would have 4 or 5 accounts and no work on almost all of them.  We would be left scrambling for work and got the worst work possible.  The supervisor at night watched the ...