A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Quitting school - PK

Posted: Mar 06, 2010

I am taking MT at Career Step, but I am unable to understand these doctors even if I slow down or speed up. I think I am going to quit because how can you transcribe if you can not understand. Can anyone give me some input?

get used to it, this is how it is when you will be a working MT - MT school

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

But we're just typists - doncha know

[ In Reply To ..]
This just goes to illustrate how much we must know in order to do this job. But we are still considered just typists and replaceable with a cardboard cutout from third world countries.

Sadly, those are probably easy ones - no ear? Time to leave

[ In Reply To ..]
Either you have an "ear" for accents or you don't. It won't get any better; it will only get worse. The truth is, even if you practice these docs until you can understand them, they'll just keep giving you harder ones, because the more skilled you get the more hard ESL you will receive. I type some doctors that even QA admits they can't understand and have to send through blanks. They are everywhere - the easy docs get sent overseas or to VR or to train new people on the account, the seasoned american MTs are stuck typing the bad ESL. I've asked your question before to QA and they inform me "its your JOB as an MT to type it". Don't like the job? Time to cut your losses.

Don't quit - Rainbo

[ In Reply To ..]
I say do not quit. I just completed Career Step and am a working MT now. There were times when I wanted to give up, but I pushed forward and am happier than I have been in a long time.

I'm realizing that the 800 or so files that we had to type for Career Step are not the norm and are some of the hardest reports you'll probably face. Just keep pushing forward and don't give up on yourself. You'll get there.

Quitting - PK

[ In Reply To ..]
What did you do when you could not understand what the Doctor was saying?
If you have a key then look it over while playing - sm -
[ In Reply To ..]
the voice file. If you don't have an answer key, then move onto another one since you are just doing practice work. You can always go back to the one or ones giving you trouble later.
It is likely that - Glenda
[ In Reply To ..]
you are not understanding what the doctor is saying because you do not know what it is he/she is supposed to be saying. You do not yet have sufficient training or a body of experience to draw from to answer the question "what should I be hearing here?" Sometimes, the only way you can understand is to know what to expect in that particular context.

It takes time, training, and listening to many, many dictations to know what terms are appropriate in specific contexts when the speaker's dictation is not crystal clear. If you quit now, you will certainly never develop the "ear" you need or the depth of knowledge you need to be able to make sense of that random collection of syllables or even to know where the syllables separate into words.

Sometimes, you just have to know what it is before you can hear it. That comes from good training and experience.
This is the best reply to your post. I was trying to figure out how to say it... pls sm - CaliDeb
[ In Reply To ..]
I actually think you either have an ear or you don't. But even if you have one and you don't understand what it is you are supposed to be hearing, it just won't make sense. Maybe even put the tapes away for a while and go back to the terminoloty and anatomy. Really really learn the suffixes and prefixes. Flashcards! Really! I read someone made fun of them here on this board, but you can bet everybody from the physician to the radiologist tech to the lab pathologist to the MT used flash cards to learn that stuff.

Once you get how to put the sounds, terms, and meanings together it will come so much easier. There is a point though, where you might realize you just don't have an ear, and that is nothing to be ashamed of.

How did I know I have an ear? My mom was born with a cleft palate and is deaf in one ear and is from Long Island! So I had experience figuring out what people said from the womb pretty much!

Good luck.

school - mt

[ In Reply To ..]
if there isn't any way to get your money back, I'd finished it out. Otherwise, I'd get the heck out of there and do something else with your time.

Quitting school - workingmt

[ In Reply To ..]
I'm curious, but didn't you know what medical transcription was before you enrolled in the course? No offense, but I get the impression that some people are enrolling in MT school before they really know what it's all about because they want to work at home. It does get easier as time goes on, so hang in there if you have already invested the time and money.

you have to develop an ear with every dictator on every new job - you are hired for. experience makes it come faste

[ In Reply To ..]

If it was easy, everybody would be doing it. - deb

[ In Reply To ..]
I graduated from CS, and yes, those reports are hard. So are many of the doctors I've had to transcribe since then. I certainly wouldn't give up if this is what you want to do (I doubt you can get a refund). Do the best you can, and go over every report afterwards and learn everything you can from it. Study up on anatomy, the more you are familiar with what the doctor is talking about, the more likely you will be able to understand what he is saying.

endurance... - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
I am wondering how many times you listen to a word, a phrase when you don't understand? I don't think I had a natural ear for this work, but I persisted. Sometimes I'd listen 50 times to a word. I'd train my brain to relax. It would be stressful not to understand and then it made things worse. By "wearing that foot pedal out," and listening so many times, I realized when I wasn't trying, I could hear it. So like I said, I taught myself to relax. I also found when I couldn't hear a word, to erase the word before it, as often if the tense or something wasn't right, it would mess up my ability to hear the word in question. If this is what you want to do, you must have to work very hard in the beginning. Persistence can pay off.

many are not encouragers, - endurance is by a 35-year MT

[ In Reply To ..]
Not everyone learns at the same rate, or even the same way. There have been times as a seasoned MT, I thought maybe I lost my ability. But you hang in there, when you hit an obstacle (accent or whatever), you persist until you overcome. Same like in other aspects of life. e/m if you wish.

One has to know when to quit, like everything in life. - nm

[ In Reply To ..]
and this only the PERSON can know.

Good advice here, relaxing is key and not freaking - sm - HLINVA

[ In Reply To ..]
yourself out about it. I have a good ear for the most part but I have a couple fast talkers that even stump me from time to time. I find if I just blank it and go back after I am done 9/10 times I can get the blank, also of course there is the possibility he will say it again, hopefully clearly, in the dictation. I have another Dr. that butchers certain words and drug names, luckily I have a clue of what he is trying to say and make him look like a genius---LOL.

listen to a word 50 times? This you can only afford - 50 times?

[ In Reply To ..]
to do when you are in training.
Under time- and production-pressure, being employed, and having to deliver your line minimum in TAT, who can afford to listen 50 times to a word?
I listen 5 times to a word, then I leave a blank , for the QA.

I really hope that technology experts will come up soon with a BETTER method to document doctors' medical reports, because until now it SUCKS, VR included.

The only ones who profitted till now are the software vendors and the big natuionals.

One has to know when to let go.

Quitting school - pauline

[ In Reply To ..]
Right now the MT field is not too good. If you decide not to do the MT course, what about learning medical billing. There is a bid demand for that right now it seems. I have been an MT for 30 years and I used to make good money working at a local hospital plus a PT job too. Lost both of those to outsource companies. Now I make half the money I used to, but I like medical transcription and the economy is rough right now so I am just staying put. I am 60 now and I do not want to go back to school unless I have to so I am hanging on until retirement. I hope I can hold on until then.

Quitting school - pauline

[ In Reply To ..]
I meant to say this: There is a big demand for that right now it seems. Sorry about the typo. I really do get good QA scores. It has been one of those days.

keep trying, it gets easier - ggmt

[ In Reply To ..]
I was the same way when I started school. It took weeks before I really got the hang of it. To be honest, it will take you a LONG time to be able to hear what is said every time. I'm a newbie (graduated 4 months ago, started work 2 months ago) and just took a test for a company where I struggled to hear plenty of words. School helped me learn how to research to find words, medical terms, gave me tons of examples to look over, etc.

All that said, I think MT is a really difficult job to get into. You already paid your money so I won't tell you to not enroll. Now that you're enrolled, don't quit.

Hang in there - sadiebug523

[ In Reply To ..]
It gets easier. But you will always have docs you can't understand. Always. That's just the way it is. When I was training what I would do is just type the report, leave a blank right away if I didn't understand it and when I listened to the audio again I was able to fill in the blanks. What you have to understand is that your "ear" will come only with experience. I cried for 2 straight weeks at my first job after school. It was so hard but after a few months it got easier. You are not alone in having a hard time with dictators. Every MT no matter what their experience is going to have a doctor they cannot do. I have a fairly easy time with Indian doctors. After 4 years as an MT I still have difficulty with Hispanic doctors. Just can't do 'em. I muddle through but it is not pretty. Hang in there and like some other posters said you may want to consider taking some billing courses or coading courses. It will make you more valuable to potential employers. Good luck in whatever you decide to do.

school - lee

[ In Reply To ..]
I noticed in your post you said you recently graduated, do you mind me asking where you went to school? I have a couple online schools I am looking into & trying to get as many opinions on schools as possible.

Thank you!!

Quitting transcription school - Ex-MT

[ In Reply To ..]
Just quit! I am telling you that you can spend your time better learning something more interesting and more profitable at school than bullsh_t transcription. If you continue on to finish the lame transcription training, you have no idea what you are headed for once you get out. I chose to work as an MT years ago, because at that time it pain more than medical assisting -- no more. You will be lucky to earn a livable wage in a reasonable amount of hours with reasonable work requirements. You will be competing with third-world countries, third-world standards, and third-world wages, etc. Think about it. . .

Similar Messages:

Medtrans MT School? Anyone Heard Of This? Looking To Start MT School That Is Affordable.
Dec 21, 2011

:) ...

Has Anyone Ever Gone Through Allied School For Coding? Other School Recommendations?
Jun 24, 2014

I was wondering if anyone has ever gone through Allied School in California for billing & coding.  If so, how was your experience?  Were you able to find work in coding after finishing the course and getting your certification?  I have been a medical transcriptionist for the past 10-11 years and am now looking at getting into coding.  My best friend and I are going to take a course together.   If you wouldn't recommend Allied as a school, who would you reco ...

Quitting: IC
Dec 28, 2009

I've been working as an IC for a small operation.  There is no written contract, and in fact nothing was stated verbally about terms, conditions, etc. In keeping with the above ;) , they are disorganized and unprofessional, and I want out.  In fact, I have already written my resignation notice. Another MT just up and quit the other day.  I wish to do the same, even though I have never, ever done this in my life (I'm 46 and have been working since the age of 17).&n ...

PTO When Quitting?
Aug 02, 2010

I'm planning on quitting soon, (yahhhh, finally got a decent offer as an MT), but am wondering if I will have any trouble getting my PTO from MedQuist.  Does anyone know if by law they must give you any PTO you have coming when you leave?  How much notice do you think I should give, 1 or 2 weeks?  Thanks! ...

Can't Believe Every Day There Are More Quitting
Aug 29, 2010

We just going to whittle down to 1 MT and 0 dictations? ...

Quitting MQ
Mar 26, 2011

Can anyone tell me how long it takes to get your last paycheck from MQ once you quit?  Shouldn't it be sent to you at the regular time?  Didn't get mine yesterday or today, so I'm guessing they are holding it for some reason. ...

Quitting/PTO
Dec 21, 2012

Did anyone from Transcend quit and if so did you have PTO left and are you getting it paid out to you? ...

Quitting TTS
Oct 08, 2014

Do they require 2 weeks' notice? ...

Protocol For Quitting MQ
Jan 28, 2011

Anyone on here who has quit the Q? Did you give 2 weeks notice or what? What did they do when you told them? Did you email or place a call? ...

So Close To Quitting
Oct 07, 2011

I have to vent!  At the moment, there are no words to express how much I hate this job.  i am so sick of listening to foreigners who sound like they have marbles in their mouths and the women sounding like shrill little girls with marbles in their mouths, struggling with all my heart and soul to do a good job, for pennies, knowing if I send to QA for help, my pennies will be taken away.  This is insanity!  I swear, I've died and gone to hell!  ...

Quitting W/o Notice
Nov 25, 2011

Considering quitting Transcend w/o notice.  I understand I will not be able to be rehired.  In years past I quit MQ w/o working through my full 2 weeks too.  (I know... BAD, BAD, BAD.) I am concerned though that if I go to work for a smaller company and they are bought out by one of these 2  (which seems to be a high probability) I could be screwed. In the field these days you have to have a FT job and try it out before you quit.  Then you are trying to do both and get ...

Quitting Nuance
Jan 10, 2012

So I'm leaving NTS (I was happy as a Webbie) in about 4 weeks once I'm done training at the hospital here.  I was wondering if anyone who quit there in the past few weeks/months could tell me what they are doing with the company equipment they provided being that NTS doesn't want to deal with equipment lending. ...

PTO At Nuance When Quitting
Jan 24, 2012

My last day at Nuance was a couple weeks ago.  I wonder how long it will be before I get my PTO I had accrued? ...

When Quitting/is This The Norm?
Apr 10, 2012

I gave notice to my employer last week that I had to quit. I sent her a very nice email thanking her for the opportunity, but it just wasn't going to work out for me. I was very pleasant and upbeat, but I have yet to receive an acknowledgement. I was even able to log in with my password still. It's been 5 days now. You'd think she would have read her email by now, right? ...

I Wonder How Many People Are Quitting Because...
Mar 27, 2013

the recent e-mail we got said they need help in other regions, so we should pull together and help them.  I am wondering if these are crappy account on the crappy eBTXT and the reason they need help is because of MTs leaving.  I surely wish I could afford to leave, not makinig any money anymore. ...

Quitting/insurance
Jan 06, 2014

Questions: If you quit, when does your insurance lapse?  ...

Thinking About Quitting
Jan 06, 2014

I am so fed up with this job.  I barely make $8 an hour, and part of that is how much I hate the job and how slow it makes me want to go.  The other is that I still CARE about the work I do, so I spend time on it. I came from making $15 an hour to this, and I just cannot take the beating anymore.  I am seriously thinking of calling my TSM and saying, BUH BUY!  Then finding another job in the downtime. It's even affecting my health.  My stomach KILLS me every morning before I s ...

Quitting Without Notice
Feb 10, 2014

If I work as an IC and quit without giving any notice, can the lady I work for legally withhold my paycheck and not pay my final invoice? I know as an IC we really do not have any rights with the labor board so if she does not pay me what would be my next course of action? I have never quit without notice but due to the circumstances she has left me without many options. ...

This Close To Quitting
Mar 12, 2014

I am this close to quitting right this second. All I have had is foreign doctors. Are there ANY English speaking doctors left??? They expect 99.8% accuracy with this crap???? Are they kidding me??? I've been sitting here almost screaming because I can't understand a thing they're saying. I had one who was chewing gum like a cow!!! Give me a break. If I had a job to fall back on, I would quit right this second. ...

This Close To Quitting!
Mar 17, 2014

If I didn't need the gol dang money so bad I'd quit right now! More work added on my plate after you cut my pay...twice! This is beyond what I can handle today. I'm only 45 minutes into my shift and I'm crying already. Let me back up, Saturday I was NJA (as usual) so I (stupidly) emailed my PTO requests in for the year, during my shift, and then I get an email about "productive time" and then had another account added to my pool. And given 30 minutes to learn 68 pages of a ...

When Quitting MM Do They Ask For Everything Back?
Mar 28, 2014

I know the hard drive but the keyboard, headset, footpedal?  The monitor is mine so they aren't getting that, just wondered if anyone had any experience in this. ...

Termination, I.e. Quitting.
Sep 17, 2014

Does anybody know where to find information about quitting, where it might state if you should 1 or 2 weeks notice?  ...

Quitting And Getting Unemployment
Dec 11, 2014

Has anyone ever heard of anyone quitting a transcription job and still being able to collect unemployment? If so, how? TY. ...

Question About Quitting
Mar 25, 2015

On the last day of work when you quit, I know they turn everything off but what about your Shorthand file (since you own it.) ...

Fired Or Quitting?
Apr 24, 2015

I've noticed a lot of posts on here recently of MT's talking about their last day at Nuance coming up soon, and that has me wondering:  Are most people just quitting because they've had enough of this craziness, or are they getting fired?  I'm curious because according to the threats I've been given by my TSM recently, I'll be getting the boot within the next couple of weeks for "schedule noncompliance" for not getting in all of my hours each week.  ...

How Much Notice Did You Give When Quitting MQ?
Oct 27, 2009

With the big pay cut & NJA all the time, I don't feel like I owe them a full 2 weeks!  Why do they need 2 weeks' notice when there's not enough work on the system anyway?  Curious how much notice others have given. ...

Purchasing Computer After Quitting
Mar 10, 2010

Does anyone know if we can purchase our computer from the company after quitting? I know that we can keep all of the other equipment (monitor, keyboard, etc), but we have to return to the tower. Does anyone know if we can purchase it from the company? I have been looking for alternate employment, but haven't been able to find another company that will provide equipment. With computer being so expensive, I just thought I'd keep the one I have. Any input? ...

Voluntary Quitting And Unemployment
Jul 18, 2011

Found the following info googling about unemployment and quitting for "good cause."  Apparently, you CAN quit for good cause and receive unemployment.  Below is an excerpt of the reasons that have to be true in order to do this.  I think we have EVERY one of these covered (except for #1).  Alas, how do we PROVE it?  "Title 22, Section 1256-23(c) provides the employer's requirements are unreasonable under any of the following circumstances: The claimant is requi ...

Question On Quitting Protocol
Mar 31, 2012

I am currently working two MT jobs and want to quit one of them. The company I want to quit expects a written 14-day notice, and that's perfectly logical. My question is, should I wait until I receive my latest check (payday is this week), and then give the notice? Or go ahead and do it right now..with the hopes boss won't have sour grapes and decide to do something unthinkable with my money. Also, is it legal to hold money from your check if you don't give the full 14-day notice ...

Quitting MModal Questions
Apr 19, 2012

First is giving notice required? I don't want to be given crappy jobs, but otoh I know it's the right thing to do most places. Second do they do an exit interview? I doubt it as I think this is generally reserved for different types of workers, but just wondering. ...