A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

MT School - Sally

Posted: Mar 08, 2010

Does anyone know a good MT school course? There are so many of them out, but not sure which ones are worth trying. TIA.

Andrews, M-TEC, and Career Step are in the top 3, I believe...sm - sosmt

[ In Reply To ..]
I went to Andrews 10 years ago and had a job before I graduated. They are expensive, but you get what you pay for, IMO.

M-TEC not so much anymore, changed owner, curriculum and tuition . - Andrews

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

I agree Andrews is a better choice now, but M-Tec grads are still getting jobs - n/m

[ In Reply To ..]
n/m

MTEC and Andrews comparison - Typin_away

[ In Reply To ..]
I listed this above with my discussion on MTEC but I thought that it may help future students look at the differences between Andrews and MTEC when they are searching about schools.

In my opinion they are both great schools.

Andrews offers 8 reference books.
MTEC offers 16 reference books.

Andrews - 2122 minutes of dictation with an optional 1500 minutes of dictation.
MTEC - 2425 minutes of dictation with an optional 1000 minutes of dictation.

Both use the SUM program. I believe both allow you access to an instructor.

So the additional $1175 at MTEC would be for the webinar classrooms and the other 8 reference books.

The dictation minutes are slightly more for the graded portion of the program at MTEC but if a student wanted to do some optional dictations they could make that up at Andrews.

MTEC program is now 12 months and Andrews is 18 months.

So that is the differences in a nutshell.

MT Course - Trollbaby

[ In Reply To ..]
Allstate Transcription has the best AIM course out there. Do not pay thousands of dollars for these other courses. This company will teach you what you need to know. Good Luck!

I've never heard anyone (but you) say anything good about them. NM - deb

[ In Reply To ..]
x

I would be careful with Allstate - Old MTSO

[ In Reply To ..]
and any other program that does not use the SUM program. They simply will not prepare you adequately. (And no, I do not now nor have I ever, worked for SUM.) I have, however, been in position to hire/fire and evaluate MTs. In my opinion, your very best bet is to go with Andrews. It is like going to Harvard; if you can cut it, you cannot do better!

MT School - eagles_fan

[ In Reply To ..]
I just graduated from Andrews, and I highly recommend it.

Sally - Old MTSO

[ In Reply To ..]
Just make sure that whatever one you choose uses the SUM program. That is key.

Similar Messages:

Medtrans MT School? Anyone Heard Of This? Looking To Start MT School That Is Affordable.
Dec 21, 2011

:) ...

Has Anyone Ever Gone Through Allied School For Coding? Other School Recommendations?
Jun 24, 2014

I was wondering if anyone has ever gone through Allied School in California for billing & coding.  If so, how was your experience?  Were you able to find work in coding after finishing the course and getting your certification?  I have been a medical transcriptionist for the past 10-11 years and am now looking at getting into coding.  My best friend and I are going to take a course together.   If you wouldn't recommend Allied as a school, who would you reco ...

Coding School - Considering Going To A School
Sep 22, 2011

I am an MT who is considering going to school for coding.  I am thinking about taking the course through Andrews and will probably start next year because I will have to save up some of the money.  I am wondering if you think coding may eventually go the way of medical transcription and be outsourced to India.  I do not think it will so I just wanted to get the opinions of other coders.  I realize it will be a hard course but I think it will be worth the effort.  Any thoughts would be appre ...

How Is School Going For Everyone?
May 22, 2010

I know a lot of MTs are back in school, how are you progressing?  I'm waiting for my FAFSA at the moment and am taking 9 more credits this summer (if everything goes smoothly)  We are living on my husband's income and have had to cut down on quite a bit.  I plan on getting my MSW, hopefully within three to four years.  Anyone else want to share? ...

School Help!
May 09, 2012

Hi there...I am wondering if anyone has any advice about which school might be a better idea and why for Medical Transcription: At Home Professions Career Step I live in Minnesota, want to work only from home, have 3 4 year college degrees, one a Master's.  thanks! ...

Meditec School
Nov 30, 2009

I am looking into taking a course with Meditec.  Unfortnately, I cannot find any information about this on the boards.  If anyone has taken their billing/coding course, please let me know if you were prepared for employment when done.  Thanks in advance.  ...

Has Anyone Gone To Allied For MT School?
Dec 31, 2009

Just wondering if anyone went to Allied Medical Schooling for MT and how they liked it? How did you do and if you felt prepared for work after getting done with it? I just want to know how others done with it and how they liked it? ...

School Questions . . .
Jan 19, 2010

Okay, so I know there are recommended schools out there.  But what about the local community college?  If I were to take coding classes there, could I get certified?  What about some of these online schools?  Can you coders share your schooling/training experience please? ...

MT Course At ALLIED Med School
Jan 23, 2010

Has anyone heard anything about Allied Medical School's Medical Transcription course? They are approved by AHDI, the price is reasonable (not cheapest but not most expensive) and the course includes a laptop, CD materials and actual textbooks(unlike CareerStep that provides photo copies). I want to get started on my schooling but I want to make the best choice I can. Any info/feed back would be greatly appreciated. ...

Is 40 Too Old To Go Back To School?
Feb 02, 2010

Being an MT is not paying my bills.  I am thinking about going back to school, but I am 40 and it has been so long since I was in high school.  I have to google to help my son with his 4th grade homework let alone do college math. AND it will be 2 to 4 years before I will get a good job.  I am leaning towards radiology tech, lab tech, or maybe nursing.  Can't  decide just yet but I know that EMR isn't going to be taking those jobs away!!!  Any advice ...

To Those Back In School
Mar 01, 2010

How are you adjusting?  Today is my first day and I want to pull my hair out, lol!  I know I need to give myself a chance to adjust, but i'm the type I want to learn quickly so I don't stress over it or feel incompetent.  I'm just rusty I guess, I hope I get into the groove of things, maybe get to the point where I enjoy it.  Just wondering how you all are doing with the school or profession change.  I've been an MT so long I feel like i'm c ...

Quitting School
Mar 06, 2010

I am taking MT at Career Step, but I am unable to understand these doctors even if I slow down or speed up. I think I am going to quit because how can you transcribe if you can not understand. Can anyone give me some input? ...

Picking The Right School
Mar 16, 2010

I am trying to find a school to get a medical transcription certification. There seem to be so many, but Penn Foster's seems the most affordable. To anyone with experience/knowledge is this a good school that will enable me to find work once completed? ...

Anyone Going Back To School
May 04, 2010

How do you get a loan to help pay bills while in school?  I'm in the middle of a FAFSA loan for fall semester, but she told me it is for school only.  Someone said they were using part of it to supplement the household income?  What kind of loan would that be?  TIA ...

Online Or At School
Jun 26, 2010

I am just curious. Is there a big difference between online coding classes and going into school?  I feel (I am taking online course) that maybe going into the classroom would be most beneficial. ...

BACK TO SCHOOL
Jul 12, 2010

Like so many others at MQ and everywhere, I went back to school, spent 4 1/2 years and $40 K+.  That was 1 1/2 years ago.  I cannot get a job teaching nor subbing, not even in a clerical capacity.  Student loan has come due and I'm back to struggling here at Q, making hardly enough to pay bills, much less take on the $350 a month student loan payment.  I got a degree in education and in our city there are now problems in the major district, citing crooked administration ...

Who Is Going Back To School....
Sep 18, 2010

Just wondering who is going back to school, or planning to, and what you are studying. ...

Recommend MT School
Sep 28, 2010

Hi, I am interested in taking a MT online course and would like some recommendations on some online schools.  I don't want to make the wrong decision and waste my money. Can anyone please  telll about a few schools so I can make my decision? Thanks ...

Getting Certified Without Going To School
Sep 29, 2010

Would it be possible to get certified if you have not attended school?  I have a friend who has worked as a coder for almost 20 years and has never pursued her certification.  Can she just take the test and become certified and still reap the same benefits as someone who completed a course and then became certified?  I am trying to convince her to do it and have even offered to help her study but I wanted to make sure she doesn't have to attend school to do so. ...

Fresh Out Of School And In Need Of Help!
Oct 19, 2010

I just finished with schooling through Penn Foster and their idea of job placement was sending me to their "Alumni" website to look for job opening...in which all were still requiring experience.  Are there any companies out there that will hire a newbie?!  How are you supposed to get the experience, if no one is willing to give it to you?  Does anyone know of any companies doing internships? I'm definitely in need of some help, so any suggestions that are given, I'm wi ...

Coding School????
Nov 04, 2010

Hi, I am looking into taking courses through a local community college for coding and wanted to know if this would be adequate enough to find a job once I have finished. It is a 32 credit hour program and stated that I would have a medical coding certificate once I completed the courses. I just don't want to spend money on a school/program that won't do me any good once I finish. I already feel I did this with my medical transcription course and don't want to waste any more money. ...

School Medworkshops
Nov 13, 2010

I wan'ted to know if anyone know if medworkshops is a good school? ...

Have Transcribed 30 Yrs, Been Away From It 4 Yrs, Almost Done With MT School To Get RMT, How Can I F
Dec 08, 2010

I was a transcriptionist for 30 years. I have been away from it the last 4 years, except I am a full time online MT student at an approved school through AHDI. I'm due to graduate in July and get my RMT, then I want to get my CMT. I can't find a job transcribing! Does anyone have any suggestions? Everyone seems to want someone with "recent" experience. I haven't forgotten much after transcribing 30 years and I need a job! Help, please! ...

Going Back To School?
Apr 20, 2011

I am almost 51.  I have been in this profession as well as many other aspects from receptionist to office manager. I was doing transcription when it was considered "just typist".  I have taken so many classes, for my own benefit of course, on terminology, anatomy, etc., and of course they were not count toward a degree because hey were all continuing ed courses. I wonder if it stupid for me to go back to school.  Problem is, I could do most managemen ...

School Choices
May 12, 2011

I am trying to decide between MTEC and Andrews School.  I have looked at both programs and they both seem to be great!  I would love some feedback and direction as to which school to go with. They both have given great presentations! ...

Has Anyone Gone To School For Coding At
Jul 08, 2011

I know they only have campuses in Wichita KS, Tulsa OK, Joplin MO, but I was just curious if anyone had gone there. TIA! ...

IC Right Out Of School? Thoughts Please!
Jul 27, 2011

I need some help.  Ok, I have a BA in Psychology, and am soon to be a grad from MTEC.  I have a friend from church who's Dr's office would be willing to hire me as an IC.  However, I'm a little freaked out by that b/c I would not have anyone to check my work, which to me is like a lawsuit waiting to happen.  I don't know if in that case I would pay someone to review my work, or how that would work. I just sent away for a book on being an independant consul ...

School Suggestions
Sep 21, 2011

Does anyone have any school suggestions for transfer acceptance of credits earned and a placement program? ...

Old School Transcription
Oct 05, 2011

I belong to the now dying breed of transcriptionists that still get paid by the hour and work for a great group of docs from home, as an employee. Now, voice recognition is threatening everything I know. I have worked in transcription for 32 years, started in pathology right out of high school! I wanted to let everyone know that I really, really appreciate all the input and conversation you have on this forum. It is a God send to a dinosaur like me. I was offered a job with MedQuist just ...

Good School
Oct 08, 2011

Hello - I am researching schools for MT education/training. I have seen Andrews mentioned here as a very good one. Does anyone have any knowledge of Career Steps or Future MT? I want a great education and don't want to inadvertently get on the "kiss (of death) list"! Any other contenders? Thanks so much for your input!     ...