A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Employee vs IC - U.S. Labor and Treasury regulators announced a huge new - enforcement campaign this year

Posted: Apr 28, 2010

I just got an Email from BLR (Business and Legal Resources).  They provide information to Human Resources Departments to make sure they are following federal and state laws. 

One of their upcoming Webinars is regarding “Employee versus Independent Contractor.”  Too bad I cannot afford it ($219).  I would really be interested in what they have to say since Employee versus Independent Contractor has been a hot topic on this Board, and from the responses, there are still many people who misunderstand the rules and regulations.

I really hope MTSO “suits” from the offending companies are aware of what is ahead of them.    

I found some of the points they are going to discuss interesting:

Employee vs. Independent Contractor: Where’s the Line? Make the Proper Call & Stay Out of Court

Employee vs. Independent Contractor Webinar

Employee or independent contractor? That’s the million-dollar question—literally—facing many employers these days:

• Classifying workers as contractors can be very tricky – especially since the IRS, the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA), Title VII, and state-level regulations all define “contractors” in different ways.
  • U.S. Labor and Treasury regulators just announced a huge new enforcement campaign this year, hiring more inspectors and giving grants to states to pursue employers that misclassify contractors.
  • If you incorrectly designate an employee as a contractor (even if it’s an honest mistake), you’ll face costly penalties and back-tax claims.

You’ll learn:

• The most current federal and state tests used to determine whether a worker is an employee or an independent contractor
  • What types of workers cause the most confusion with classification, from construction and franchise personnel to trainees and home-based staffers
  • The “red flags” you should look for when you conduct a self-audit to identify potential contractor problems
  • The safest ways to correct contractor misclassifications (without triggering a legal claim in the process)
  • How to create bulletproof contractor agreements that will survive in state and federal courts
  • What steps you should follow to sever your relationship with any contractor

Looks like there may be some shake-ups coming if it is true that the “U.S. Labor and Treasury regulators just announced a huge new enforcement campaign this year, hiring more inspectors and giving grants to states to pursue employers that misclassify contractors,” since we know many companies already are taking advantage of Independent Contractors who are actually Employees.   It looks like there is a good chance that any company that has Employees AND Independent Contractors will probably be audited soon. 

Because of TAT issues, the unintended consequence would hurt us more than help us.  These companies may find it impossible to keep Independent Contractors, since in all likelihood they will no longer be able to force a schedule on Independent Contractors.  That means, either these companies will require that everyone become an Employee, or they will let all the Independent Contractors go and start off-shoring more to India, where they do not have to deal with this issue.

Bottom line – in the next few years, the only Independent Contractors left may be individuals who have small accounts of their own.  It looks like the big MTSO who offers Independent Contractor status may be a thing of the past. 

Just one more nail in the coffin of the Medical Transcription profession.  I certainly would not encourage anyone to begin classes now.  If you think jobs are hard to find now, wait until several thousand Independent Contractors start looking for Employee status positions. 

I hope I am wrong.  But the writing seems to be on the wall.  It is just a matter of time before there will only be a few super-max, MedQuist-like MTSOs left and we either work for them or have to choose another career.

Sad -- to say the least. 

IC status has been abused on both sides for a long time. It's time - the issue is addressed once and for all. nm

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

Fabulous! sm - Long time MT

[ In Reply To ..]
All you have to do is look at one of the job boards to see how many companies are skating on thin ice saying that all their jobs are IC status rather than employee status. Just another way to cheat the worker. They are trying to get out of paying their half of SS along with benefits. About time that chicken came home to roost.

Not sure - MTMania

[ In Reply To ..]
"Bottom line – in the next few years, the only Independent Contractors left may be individuals who have small accounts of their own. It looks like the big MTSO who offers Independent Contractor status may be a thing of the past. "

Where did this conclusion stem from? I work for a mid-sized MT service and I'm a true IC. They have crossed all their T's and dotted their I's. They also offer an employee status but those who opt for that have different rules than we ICs have.

There will be more regulation and I suspect those companies who are willfully skirting the law will be held accountable.

I just seriously think more regulation is going to result in many more unhappy (and unemployed) MTs.

There's an ad on - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
another jobs board right now where they state in their ad that they're looking for an IC to adhere to a set schedule. So many of the MTSOs are just really clueless about the law.

I disagree with your prediction, though. I've been in this business for more years than I want to think about, and we used to have plenty of true IC status jobs. It worked out just fine before the bigger MTSOs jumped in and started trying to stick all the ICs on a schedule. I look forward to the law finally being enforced. Now if we can just start penalizing the companies who offshore...

Another thing I hope the DOL addresses - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
since there seem to be a lot of people going to them right now for help & it looks like we may get some help, is that we are piecemeal workers supposed to be paid for every character we type, but we are required to spend about 30% of the time researching and filling in demos and CCs for free these days, and supposedly that's the most important part of the report with all the HIPAA laws.

Similar Messages:

CA. Labor Board States "Good Case" Regarding Unpaid Labor
Jun 22, 2015

A fellow MT posted on the Nuance board that she contacted the California Labor Board regarding unpaid labor.  I hope this case creates a precedent!  For me, some jobs are so laden with problems half my time is spent researching and correcting dictator errors - for no pay!  We are not paid to check email, answer email, train, review of all the documents emailed to us, review changes in procedure, doctor exceptions to the rule, working with tech support, reviewing QA, searchin ...

Today My Hospital Account Announced Its "launch" Of EMR In December 2012...
Jan 25, 2012

Would appreciate replies from anyone who's actually been through this - how long after it begins will we last? There are maybe 50 of us transcribers, all told.  Thanks. ...

Statutory Employee Vs. Traditional Employee Status Inquiry
Oct 10, 2013

I'm seeing more and more job postings for statutory employee status.  I'm trying to figure out what an appropriate line rate request equivalent would be since I would be responsible for withholding income taxes.  For example if the traditional employee line rate is 8 cpl for transcription what would I need to request for statutory status?  The same or more? ...

HUGE Laughs......SM
Jan 29, 2013

I'm in an HIT program after doing transcription for about 5 years and deciding that I'm tired of being a wandering sheep, and I just read the first chapter in one of my textbooks, which says that "speech recognition software is 95% to 99% accurate."  I'll be pointing out in my class that that is a grievous error. ...

A Huge Eye Opener
Dec 08, 2013

I had a HUGE eye opener yesterday.  We are not the only ones who are being replaced by software, it is happening in every single industry - I read a big article yesterday announcing this "really cool" (the article's opinion, not mine) new way to place an order at Chili's - on an iPad type tablet that is brought to your table when you are seated - point and click.  Then your order goes directly to the kitchen electronically and your dinner is brought to you by a staff member w ...

Ok Question............My CCM Says Huge Over Time Sm
Dec 17, 2011

as we all know it is going to be totally different on 12/26..............why?  Does anyone know what is happening the 26th?  End of pay period is the 24th, 25th starts a new one so what significance does the 26th hold?  ...

That MLK Holiday Is A HUGE One... To Not Have Work
Jan 24, 2013

I guess I should plan for a week off for Valentines Day, hey? ...

Ipswitch Is A HUGE JOKE
Apr 24, 2013

I can't get to anything but the first page of my inbox.  Oops, now can't even get that. Maybe I'll sit here and work on my Quality essay. ...

Huge Account Going To EPIC
Oct 16, 2013

So, we were just informed that a huge account is being rolled out to EPIC and "assured" there would be "minimal" volume loss.  Can somebody who has been through this please give us the true facts?  I'm inclined to not want to drink the Nuance Kool-Aid. Thanks in advance. ...

As Much As I Detest The Huge Unforgiving
Jan 29, 2015

worked for, I must admit that their unrelenting and harsh criticism of my work and their 99.7% plus demand for perfection has made me a better transcriptionist. I now work for a company where I acheive 100% on nearly all audits and had the same experience at another company before this one. I just knew I was better than N or M had me made out to be. ...

Huge Numbers Of MTs Have Recently Hit Retirement Age
May 18, 2010

I've heard for maybe 10 years now that right now, 2010, is when vast numbers of MTs were supposed to hit retirement age and quit work. What is retirement age? I don't want to retire, but when does a person really need to retire even if they don't want to? ...

MTSO Lost Huge Account
Jul 17, 2010

Small to medium-sized company lost a very large long-term client.  Naturally, the MTs are to blame.  Reason given was the work was out of turn around on weekends and MTs did not meet their commitments.  I can't say what percentage of MTs did not meet their commitments.  I do know that I always have.  I also know that I have kept an accurate log of the work on this very large account and 75 to 90% of the time the work runs out on Sunday, with no work available on Mon ...

Medquist Awarded A Huge Contract.
Aug 26, 2010

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/medquist-awarded-contract-with-child-health-corporation-of-america-101383704.html   It does say hospital is outsourcing, so does that mean India? In the latest example of its support for providers nationwide, MedQuist recently signed an agreement with Child Health Corporation of America (CHCA) for clinical documentation and computer-assisted coding technology and outsourced medical transcription and coding services.  MedQuist will implemen ...

Oracle. End Of My Rope. Huge New Account, 70 MTs?
Oct 21, 2010

Anyone else one of the new hires?  Are you on the new huge account?  I've been twiddling my thumbs now.  Guess I need to apply elsewhere.  I had been told before it was a good company, but I need to be actually typing. That really is a lot of MTs to hire and then not have the new account begin.  I read, below, someone said it keeps being delayed. ...

Can We Get Some Experienced Opinions On OTI's Huge Account?
Feb 08, 2011

Would really appreciate input from anyone who works on this account. ...

Nuance Just Lost Huge Account
Sep 04, 2012

Just got email that stated that one of Nuance largest accounts has left them for another "vendor"  They will be slowly removing them from pool and putting everybody elsewhere so they say ...

Is There A Way To Hide The Huge Statistics Panel In 7.2??
Mar 07, 2013

It takes up most of the screen, and I don't care about any of those statistics anyway.  Just let me work without harrassing me about my stats. ...

Why Fire For Not Meeting Production When Getting Huge
Jan 07, 2014

workflow changes due to a large account being lost (wasn't my primary).  Wondered why all of a sudden I was off my primary and getting mostly this account.  Of course, they didn't know it was leaving until it disappeared.  I'd probably have a heart attack if I every heard the truth.  Never know what hospital is going to show up in the queve, more longer transcription jobs, ASR jobs that have to be typed because the ASR does not match up, some horrible dict ...

Brand New HUGE Account Coming (BR). If We Can't Keep Up With What
Jun 10, 2015

we have now and they keep requesting OT, how is this supposed to work!?! ...

Help, I Accidentally Turned On The Huge ADT Box At The Top Of The Report And Don't Remember How
May 31, 2011

off.  Thx. ...

Well, It Happened. Nuance Loses A Huge Account To....
Sep 11, 2013

NUANCE!  Yes, that's right.  The account I have had for 5 + years has now gone with Dragon EHR according to email from TSM today. How do you like them apples? ...

Huge Account Going To Epic In The East Tomorrow
Jan 31, 2014

20 MTs are being moved elsewhere.   ...

Huge Drop In Work At Landmark Transcription
Mar 01, 2014

I've had a huge drop in work at Landmark for the past 3 months.  I've been there for 3 years working on the same account the entire time.  I've looked at my paychecks during these same exact months for the past years and I had much bigger paychecks, meaning much more work.  Here it is a weekend and I had hardly any work yesterday and so far no work today and this account always had work.  It's been this way for almost 4 months.  Anyone work on the big account that starts ...

Anyone In North Who Lost Their Huge Account Last Week With No Explanation?
Apr 19, 2010

nm ...

My Hands Are So Sore From The Huge Number Of Corrections I Am Making
Jun 02, 2013

Any suggestions to ease the pain - like a better way to delete? This is just too ridiculous. ...

Former Nuance Employee Now Has To Become Employee Again
Mar 11, 2014

Has anyone else left Nuance for another company only to have to return after acquisition? Were you just reinstated or did you have to start fresh from day 1 again? ...

Labor Day
Sep 01, 2014

Today is paid at time and a half correct? ...

Labor And Delivery - Help
Mar 24, 2010

s/l  ...  ciesis at term, onset of labor pains... Thanks! ...

OB Help (labor Problem)
Aug 17, 2010

Doc says: "Cesarean was done for s/l arrest of dilatation and descent."  OB is my worst specialty.  I can never figure this stuff out.  Does anyone know if arrest of dilatation and descent is right? I googled and found a couple of variations on this, but nothing absolute. Thanks in advance. ...

Labor Day Is Meaningless For MTs. For Us,
Sep 03, 2010

I don't even really know what the holiday is supposed to be about.  I've been an MT for so long, I can't even remember the last time I had the day off on Labor Day.   As a result, I haven't really paid attention to, or even cared, about what it's supposed to be.  From what I can see, living near a large body of water, it appears that Labor Day is about drinking beer to the point of major intoxication, and then crashing your boat in ...