Home     Contact Us    
Main Board Job Seeker's Board Job Wanted Board Resume Bank Company Board Word Help M*Modal Nuance New MTs Classifieds Offshore Concerns VR/Speech Recognition Tech Help Coding/Medical Billing
Gab Board Politics Comedy Stop Games Faith Board Prayer Requests Health Issues

ADVERTISEMENT

Main Board

Proofreading versus scoping - Jen

Posted: Nov 18th, 2020 - 6:10 pm In Reply to: Switching from MT to Scoping - Mua

I think proofreading is less likely to bring you the money you need as quickly as scoping will. It's harder to find clients. That's one reason I took on scoping. With a MT background, I don't think you need to hire a proofreader for scoping at first. But I double read my work for awhile so that slowed things down. Also, I did have a 2-year proofreading background so I felt I had all the info. But Internet Scoping School teaches a lot of the same proofreading information. I can't answer how long it will take you to build up to the level you're wanting. Do you have kids at home? Do you have any health issues? Can you devote 100% of your time to learning scoping and getting up to speed quickly? It took me about 5 months to get to the level you're talking about, but I have things that slow me down. Then, Covid hit, and I lost all my work. That's mostly been remedied in the legal field now, and everyone is super behind.

The online proofreading course took me about a year to complete, but you can get it done faster. I had health issues that slowed things down for a few months. Honestly, I'd do the scoping first because it pays better and then you could always branch into proofreading too because you could offer proofreading in the software you'd be using or proofreading on a PDF with an ipad. You can check out the Proofread Anywhere site for the cost. I don't remember anymore. It was somewhere around $1000. Now, because of COVID, and so much legal work being behind, you might be able to find proofreading work. Depends on how much you want to hustle and market your services.

Unfortunately, as with any training like this, the cost comes at making less money for awhile unless you have a job you can lean on while you squeeze in your schooling/learning.

Only you know your situation and the different scenarios that will work best for you.

ADVERTISEMENT

Post A Reply Reply By Email Options

Complete Discussion Below: ( marks the location of current message within thread)