Home     Contact Us    
Main Board Job Seeker's Board Job Wanted Board Resume Bank Company Board Word Help M*Modal Nuance New MTs Classifieds Offshore Concerns VR/Speech Recognition Tech Help Coding/Medical Billing
Gab Board Politics Comedy Stop Games Faith Board Prayer Requests Health Issues

ADVERTISEMENT

Main Board

I apologize for the rude responders here - MT

Posted: Aug 27th, 2017 - 3:56 am In Reply to: I am not a scammer - hansenhomemaker

They are taking their bitterness out on you. They could have responded in a much more helpful way without being insulting.

The truth is, it's a terrible career to get into. Many are at companies making minimum wage or competing with others for the jobs that trickle in, working three jobs just to make a living wage, or sending out resumes with 30 years of experience and not hearing anything back because the few companies left get hundreds of applications.

It's become an extremely high-stress job (some places literally dock your pay for errors, even trivial ones). If a doctor makes a dictation mistake, or there is a software error, or the dictator didn't punch in something correctly, because you didn't catch it, it's your error and you will be penalized accordingly. Did I mention that you have people actually grading your work daily down to the "a" and "ands"? I am not exaggerating. It is SO stressful.

Voice recognition and offshoring are not going away as long as hospital administrators feel they are "saving money." In fact, the trend is MORE facilities going to EPIC/"point and click" and Dragon (in fact, just in the past two months, huge national accounts switched over when Nuance was Cyberattacked and many MTs were laid off).

And the important thing: Anybody who is telling you it is a flexible career is a flat-out liar. It used to be...20 years ago. Besides the fact you will be competing with people with 25-30 years of experience for job openings, if you do get a job, this is the likely scenario:
One weekend day is mandatory - you will most certainly have to work a Saturday or Sunday.
If a holiday falls on your schedule, they are mandatory.
Only longtimers/those with seniority at companies get day shifts. You will be offered second or third shift.
Companies now require you adhere to an insanely strict schedule of clocking in and clocking out. Some of the largest companies even monitor keyboard time to make sure your time card matches when you said you were working.

So, while I think people have been unnecessarily rude, it comes out of frustration. The main point is they are trying to tell you to not do it for all the reasons above. It is nothing like these schools are still trying to shill. So sorry.

Link below is the kind of fact that is more realistic:

LINK/URL: New MT finding a job

ADVERTISEMENT

Post A Reply Reply By Email Options

Complete Discussion Below: ( marks the location of current message within thread)