A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Making so little with N that I qualify for $121 a month in food stamps as individual. In FL. NM - feellikeIwonthelottery

Posted: May 30, 2014

xxxx

Making so little- - Glad you are

[ In Reply To ..]
able to get help but it really irks me that hard-working MTs are forced to this as the CEO and MTSO rake in the profits. I wish I could hit the lottery big, I would love to bust each and every one of them. I do not think there is 1 MTSO that pays the MT what they are worth especially not with the V-Wreck taking over. Best of luck to you and don't let it get you down.

If you qualify for food stamps, check out what - else you qualify for.

[ In Reply To ..]
Generally speaking, people who qualify for food stamps usually qualify for other assistance such as free or reduced-rate phone, etc.

I know it probably goes against your grain to be "on the dole", but hey - you didn't create the situation, did you?

I now qualify for 20% off my utility bill. - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
Never ever thought I would be taking a handout. I was raised to work hard and give back, not take.

I've often thought this: With our pay being cut so drastically and others in other professions as well, why doesn't the Federal Government do something about it? Surely they see how much money their NOT getting in tax revenue.

And even if the minimum wage is raised to $10 or whatever, it is still not a living wage where I live and even if it is implemented (or something higher), it's still down the road a year or two.

Not the OP, but 2 dislikes for getting 20% off utilities - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
Really, WHO has the nerve to dislike this. You are such a _____
The Working Poor - nn
[ In Reply To ..]
Anyone who works as hard as an MT and qualifies for help should feel no shame in accepting it. None whatsoever.

I'm the one who posted about the 20%. - I cannot believe my eyes.
[ In Reply To ..]
Will the 2 dislikers please tell us why you disliked my post? Is it because:

(A) You don't qualify (yet) and are upset?

or

(B) You're ashamed because you're part of HR and are sitting pretty and don't want the word out about the big Nasty?
20% - burnedoutco
[ In Reply To ..]
Probably HR as they troll these boards. Doubt they are ashamed though. What goes around comes around. If you dislike someone getting help, what kind of person could you be? Sad, miserable, nasty. Make sure you get all the help you are entitled to. I know so many people who have gone from having comfortable incomes in this profession to being homeless after being outsourced.

you were raised to work hard and not take - Val

[ In Reply To ..]
but think of all those MBAs and tech people studying and scheming about how to take more from you.

The Fed Gov't celebrates technology as innovative, etc. The fantasy was that technology would free up people to be "creative" and have lots of time and money to spend in malls. We all know the reality.

Utility bill - MT

[ In Reply To ..]
Is that a government thing or is it offered by your utility company?

Food stamps - Pollyanna

[ In Reply To ..]
I went through months of red tape to get food stamps only to have them for 2 months and then they were taken away!! I have sticker shock every time I go in a grocery store! It's downright frightening.

Reply to Pollyanna re: Foodstamps - Floridagram

[ In Reply To ..]
Not sure where you are geographically, but I have received food stamps both from the State of Florida and when I moved to IL, received food stamps there as well. My food stamps were good for a number of months in Florida and were "not taken away." With Florida, when it came time to renew them, I just went online and renewed. My IL food stamps just came up for renewal and rather than online, that was done through an automated telephone interview. Not sure why you only got them for 2 months, unless you reported an increase in income or something and yes, that would change your "status" as far as receiving food stamps. Also, there is "not a lot of red tape" involved with getting food stamps. With my food stamps from IL, I applied online July 4, 2013, got a call the next day saying I had been approved, and went the following Tuesday to get my EBT card at the local office.
Is it true that you can't quality if you... - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
...have a tiny and shrinking savings account and own a home (for now)?
Re: Food Stamps and qualifications - Floridagram
[ In Reply To ..]
It may. I do not own my home or even have a savings account, but requirements do vary by state. I have a friend of mine in IL, has her adult grandson living with her. He is on SSDI and because he is listed on the mortgage with her, he only gets $45 a month or so. A friend of mine in FL, who is disabled, gets the full amount, even though she is married and they own the home; however, house is only in hubby's name and she "pays rent" to hubby.

Similar Messages:

Food Stamps
Aug 01, 2012

Article about how walmart creates workers needing to be on food stamps and benefits from that as well....like MTs needing to get food stamps and collect unemployment benefits while employed.     ...

Has Anyone Applied For Food Stamps?
Apr 10, 2013

I just wonder if they contact your employer to verify you are not making any money. How long did it take? Can you use them for pet food? ...

3rd Week With NJA, But Ineligible For Food Stamps Due To Gross Pay. Depressed.
Jan 05, 2014

while the managers and higher ups collect their checks with no problems.  Got to find another job SOON.  ...

Anyone Get MModals Employee Of The Month This Month?
Feb 22, 2013

Saw they posted the new list. anyone get it? ...

Individual Stats
Feb 02, 2015

since I stopped sending blanks to QA.  No 3cpl deduction for me. ...

Moving From EE Status To Self-employed; COBRA Or Individual
Feb 18, 2013

In my late 50's, health history mainly diabetic and overweight...in general, have those of you who have made a similar change found premiums of individual plans to be better or worse than offered through COBRA?  Thanks for any input. ...

Individual Line Counts On IChart And Dictaphone
Jun 23, 2014

Been at Nuance about 3 months now.  How to I approve line count on WebClock when I have no idea how many reports Nuance is counting.  Nuance just comes up with a number and I am told to approve it.  Does anyone just accept Nuance word for the line counts and approve their timesheet?   Does anyone know how to do individual line counts on Dictaphone platform or Word for a guestimate if the line counts Nuance comes up at the end of the pay period are even close to accurate?&nbs ...

Medical Benefits - What The Deductible Is For A Single Individual, Full-time
May 02, 2010

Hi, Someone was kind eough to answer a question regarding health benefits for me, but I forgot to ask what the deductible is for a single individual, full-time.  I would appreciate this if anyone knows!   ...

3-month Versus 3 Month
May 13, 2014

Which is correct:  "The patient is here for a 3-month followup visit."  or  "The patient is here for a 3 month followup visit."   I was always told in this instance that it is without the hyphen becuase putting the hyphen in it will mean that the visit is 3 months long versus a visit at 3 months' time.   Which is the correct way to do this?  I got a correction back on a file and I was pretty sure I had it right.   ...

No Self-esteem, What Else Do I Qualify For?
Aug 23, 2013

I was laid off in March after 6 years subcontracting with a small MTSO.   The drop in work was sudden, when the main client switched to a point and click system.   I am mad at myself that I had not gone ahead and started planning for another career.  I have found a part-time manual labor job, and have gone back to school and get financial aid, but it is not enough.  I am a single mom and have had to ask my parents for help several times, and my step father told me y ...

Is It Really Possible To Qualify For Partial Unemployment?
Oct 10, 2010

By year's end, I will have made about half of what I normally make working the same number of FT hours.  I've read suggestions on here to apply for partial UI, which could probably save my behind - I'm not sure how much longer I can pay the rent and not sure where me and kids would go.  However, is it really possible to qualify for that considering the nature of our work, paid by production?  Could'nt it be argued (wrongly so!!) that we just slacked off and did ...

I Can't Qualify For Health Insurance With A VR Job
May 03, 2011

This is my first VR job. I cannot make enough lines to qualify for health insurance on it. This is the first time I have ever had this problem. I could easily exceed my line count with a straight typing job. The only way I could meet line count now is if I blaze through the jobs without proofreading and put out bad-quality jobs. I wouldn't even be able to get up to stretch my legs ever. I'd have to cut my lunch down to 30 minutes. And even then I'd be about 1000 to ...

Do You Qualify For Unemployment Compensation?
Jan 12, 2012

The other day I was getting a bit nervous, so I checked - there's certain dollar amounts required over a certain time period, so this is something you might want to check into - I get the feeling the next couple of years might be a bumpy ride (bumpier ride) for a few of us, transitioning "out."  And I want out.  So the time to check into all this is well before you get laid off (if possible).  Or you have to quit, but are still eligible for unemployment because of the REASON ...

For The First Time, I Qualify For EIC Because Of MM Wages
Mar 30, 2013

Guess I have sunk to a new low. With ASR and NJA, I have joined the working poor. Can't wait until I finish school and get out of here. My wage is less than when I started MT 25 years ago. Just trying to hold on until I finish school. ...

Food For
Apr 26, 2012

To illustrate the stark difference between those so many believe to be "they" and those they consider to be "we."  Let us as AMERICAN MTs think:  "… why the Central Americans… at Kaiser Permanente in Los Angeles had always been “on board” in terms of active grassroots participation in their local union, in contrast with non-immigrant workers who viewed the union as a sort of utility, with a bill (dues) that came once a month, but not a collective. …El ...

Qualify For Unemployment If Taken Over And Decline Offer?
Aug 20, 2010

If a regular employer decides to outsource you to an MTSO and you are offered a position but declined to go, does that make you ineligible for unemployment becuase you were offered something? i.e., not a straight layoff?  I don't think they will "guarantee" our old pay of course...since it is production....Or is that all up to the company that is letting you go (what they say when unemployment contacts them?)  ...

Has Anyone At SS Ever Had Enough Work To Qualify And/or Stayed Long Enough Sm
Mar 13, 2011

to receive the 3-month and 6-month installments of the signon bonus?   I could not get enough lines so I never qualified for benefits or the bonus.  (It actually is based on hours worked, but if you do less than 135 lines/hour you get fired, so if you work 8 hours and only have 200 lines that shift, you have to lie and say you only worked an hour or whatever.)  I'm just curious.  I see they are still advertising, although at least they no longer promise they ha ...

Did Anyone Qualify For Or Get Notice Of The Quartery Bonus Yet?
Apr 05, 2013

I asked HR and was told that we would get an email by the end of this week regarding the quarterly bonuses. It's Friday afternoon. Anybody get an email yet? ...

Apparently I Qualify For Their Health Insurance.
Jul 03, 2013

I also am wondering how much would be taken out of my check for the health insurance for just myself. Thanks! ...

FIESA - Was Able To Qualify For The Quarterly Bonus
Jul 11, 2014

and in spite of every obstacle known to man thrown in my face, I was able to qualify for the quarterly bonus. Does anyone know when it will be paid out? ...

S/l Food Dysgrasia
Dec 08, 2010

Though there are no specific food s/l disgrasia, she states that she noticed that when she eats more fruits and vegetables, especially salads, she tends to have more trouble with her bowels. any ideas??? ...

Food Panel
Apr 13, 2011

s/l doc is saying spoo panel or SPU panel or could be food panel if he is just pronouncing it wrong.   "spoo" panel, gluten, lactose intolerance will be checked, and stool O&P.     Any ideas?  Thanks!   ...

Food Inoculant?
Mar 30, 2014

hello, dr. says food inoculant?  patient could have viral etiology or maybe food inoculance?  could not find this to confirm.     TIA! ...

Food For Thought
Nov 05, 2014

Recently the bus drivers in my area got sick of the way they were treated, literally...They called out sick and the next DAY had a 2% pay increase. Dare someone to arrange a case of "MT flu" Im in are you? ...

I Qualify For Unemployement Due To My Line Rate Being Reduced.
Apr 15, 2015

Took copies of all documentation in to local state employment office and it is fair grounds for quitting since my overall pay has been reduced again.  Doing a happy dance and getting ready to have time for a full time job search andtesting. :D ...

Want To Pass This On..food For Thought...
May 21, 2013

I left MM over a month ago.  I interviewed for a job the very next week and they hired me on the spot.  The money was wonderful, hourly only.  It was soooo sweet!  Money great, people there great.  I thanked God every day for it.  Then, on the 4th week, I was informed that my job there was over.  HERE AGAIN...they have no MTs anymore.  WHAT?!!!  Consequently, I am not ever, ever, ever, going to go for an MT job again.  I love the work so ve ...

Independent Contractor - Must Have Flexible Schedule To Qualify For IC Status
Mar 11, 2010

I am thinking about pursuing a job as an independent contractor as I am retired and want something to do more than the money (retired hospital transcriptionist). It is my understanding that an IC must have flexible schedule to qualify for IC status, yet the job ads specify second and third shift as well as weekend days. Can they do this? I know the government is cracking down on ICs to make sure they are truly ICs (we all know the transcription companies will do everything to preserve their bo ...

Food Pedal With Media Player
Feb 10, 2010

does anyone have any idea how to make my USB foot pedal work with Media Player?  thanks.  I've tried everything I could think of.      ...

Please Help With This (fast Food ____ S/l Jonara)
Mar 31, 2011

Typing a SOAP note for a local physician and I know I have heard this word before but do not use it everyday and it is just not clicking this morning!!!  He is telling the patient to stay away from fatty foods and he uses this word in a sentence telling him to "Stay away from the fast food ____ (sounds like jonara or ganara)"   TIA! ...

Some Food For Thought (while We Are In The Bread Lines)
Feb 27, 2015

I just read this article (link below), and am coming to the realization that it is not Medical Transcription companies like Nuance care about, but they are 'suffering' MTs until MT is gone completely, which will be soon in my opinion.  These companies are all competing and working toward selling their programs which will very soon eliminate the need for MT altogether because of the new EHR laws = the doctors will be doing their own editing with little free-style speech at all.&nbs ...