A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Do You Qualify for Unemployment Compensation? - wheres_my_job

Posted: Jan 12, 2012

The other day I was getting a bit nervous, so I checked - there's certain dollar amounts required over a certain time period, so this is something you might want to check into - I get the feeling the next couple of years might be a bumpy ride (bumpier ride) for a few of us, transitioning "out."  And I want out.  So the time to check into all this is well before you get laid off (if possible).  Or you have to quit, but are still eligible for unemployment because of the REASON you quit.  Still, there is a minimum dollar amount you need to make.

Unemployment - JW

[ In Reply To ..]
In most states being an IC you will not qualify for unemployment.

That's true - wheres_my_job

[ In Reply To ..]
IC status sounds good, seems like the pay may be a tad higher...but there you are, when push comes to shove, with nothing...I've got employee status thankfully - with so much volatility, and the possibility of MT'ing drying up completely, and the possibility you yourself may never want to do it again...better make sure you know where you stand...thanks JW for commenting.

I collected UE. - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
You have to check the regulations in the state you live in. They can be different.

In my state, there is rarely (not never) a reason to quit your job and collect unemployment. A tremendous reduction in income is reason to collect UE, but not to quit because you can collect UE at the same time you work. You usually are not eligible for UE if you are fired (unless it is through no fault of your own, i.e., laid off).

There is a 1-week waiting period so you should definitely apply the very day you are laid off if possible. It made things easier for me, but it was only about 50% of my normal income. Therefore, I foolishly jumped at the first job offered to me. Wish I had waited because that job sucked and I made more on UE (doing fine now though). Take your time and find the right job.

Very important - In my state, you have to list 3 places where you applied for a job each week to continue your benefits. This can get tricky in the MT business, so make sure you test, and supply a phone number, and proof that you did so because they do verify your applications.

Often, companies try to get you to quit so you will not be eligible for UE. I was wise to that. I was audited 1-2 times a week, 100%. They could not pin anything on me, even the line counts because I could not do them if they did not supply them. I was bouned around from account to account from sun up to way past sun down. When I threatened to legal assistance, I was laid off with severance and an agreement to UE. Many times these MTSOs will do anything to get out of that, but I had been there 10 years, very reliable, double the required lines, and perfect audits. They had offered shored the work and it could be proven, so they could not object.

Again, check the regulations in the state that you live in.

Excuse me - I meant off-shored - cause for UE. - no message

[ In Reply To ..]
x

Similar Messages:

Is It Really Possible To Qualify For Partial Unemployment?
Oct 10, 2010

By year's end, I will have made about half of what I normally make working the same number of FT hours.  I've read suggestions on here to apply for partial UI, which could probably save my behind - I'm not sure how much longer I can pay the rent and not sure where me and kids would go.  However, is it really possible to qualify for that considering the nature of our work, paid by production?  Could'nt it be argued (wrongly so!!) that we just slacked off and did ...

Qualify For Unemployment If Taken Over And Decline Offer?
Aug 20, 2010

If a regular employer decides to outsource you to an MTSO and you are offered a position but declined to go, does that make you ineligible for unemployment becuase you were offered something? i.e., not a straight layoff?  I don't think they will "guarantee" our old pay of course...since it is production....Or is that all up to the company that is letting you go (what they say when unemployment contacts them?)  ...

Something To Think About Regarding Unemployment Compensation
Sep 30, 2014

I found this interesting and just wanted to pass this information along.  Unemployment compensation if you are either terminated or laid off, is not necessarily "a given."  I was laid off one employee position at the beginning of July and terminated from an employee positon the beginning of August.  The company I was laid off from, I was only with for a short period of time, and they lost the account.  The second positon, I was with then company for 3 months, and could not me ...

No Self-esteem, What Else Do I Qualify For?
Aug 23, 2013

I was laid off in March after 6 years subcontracting with a small MTSO.   The drop in work was sudden, when the main client switched to a point and click system.   I am mad at myself that I had not gone ahead and started planning for another career.  I have found a part-time manual labor job, and have gone back to school and get financial aid, but it is not enough.  I am a single mom and have had to ask my parents for help several times, and my step father told me y ...

I Can't Qualify For Health Insurance With A VR Job
May 03, 2011

This is my first VR job. I cannot make enough lines to qualify for health insurance on it. This is the first time I have ever had this problem. I could easily exceed my line count with a straight typing job. The only way I could meet line count now is if I blaze through the jobs without proofreading and put out bad-quality jobs. I wouldn't even be able to get up to stretch my legs ever. I'd have to cut my lunch down to 30 minutes. And even then I'd be about 1000 to ...

For The First Time, I Qualify For EIC Because Of MM Wages
Mar 30, 2013

Guess I have sunk to a new low. With ASR and NJA, I have joined the working poor. Can't wait until I finish school and get out of here. My wage is less than when I started MT 25 years ago. Just trying to hold on until I finish school. ...

Has Anyone At SS Ever Had Enough Work To Qualify And/or Stayed Long Enough Sm
Mar 13, 2011

to receive the 3-month and 6-month installments of the signon bonus?   I could not get enough lines so I never qualified for benefits or the bonus.  (It actually is based on hours worked, but if you do less than 135 lines/hour you get fired, so if you work 8 hours and only have 200 lines that shift, you have to lie and say you only worked an hour or whatever.)  I'm just curious.  I see they are still advertising, although at least they no longer promise they ha ...

Did Anyone Qualify For Or Get Notice Of The Quartery Bonus Yet?
Apr 05, 2013

I asked HR and was told that we would get an email by the end of this week regarding the quarterly bonuses. It's Friday afternoon. Anybody get an email yet? ...

Apparently I Qualify For Their Health Insurance.
Jul 03, 2013

I also am wondering how much would be taken out of my check for the health insurance for just myself. Thanks! ...

FIESA - Was Able To Qualify For The Quarterly Bonus
Jul 11, 2014

and in spite of every obstacle known to man thrown in my face, I was able to qualify for the quarterly bonus. Does anyone know when it will be paid out? ...

I Qualify For Unemployement Due To My Line Rate Being Reduced.
Apr 15, 2015

Took copies of all documentation in to local state employment office and it is fair grounds for quitting since my overall pay has been reduced again.  Doing a happy dance and getting ready to have time for a full time job search andtesting. :D ...

Independent Contractor - Must Have Flexible Schedule To Qualify For IC Status
Mar 11, 2010

I am thinking about pursuing a job as an independent contractor as I am retired and want something to do more than the money (retired hospital transcriptionist). It is my understanding that an IC must have flexible schedule to qualify for IC status, yet the job ads specify second and third shift as well as weekend days. Can they do this? I know the government is cracking down on ICs to make sure they are truly ICs (we all know the transcription companies will do everything to preserve their bo ...

Making So Little With N That I Qualify For $121 A Month In Food Stamps As Individual. In FL. NM
May 30, 2014

xxxx ...

Compensation
May 19, 2013

One company lists compensation as:  "$1.06 per dictated minute & up depending on acute experience and operative report experience.." I've always been paid per line and am not familiar at all with this form of compensation..  Does anyone have any experience with this, and does it sounds okay?  It's an IC position.  Thanks. ...

New Compensation
Oct 26, 2014

I wonder if the new compensation is that they are making us all independent contractors.  What a hoot that would be.. ...

PTO Under New Compensation
Dec 31, 2014

Hello.  I have requested and been approved for some PTO hours for Christmas Eve.  On the time log I just approved, it shows the hours but does not show a monetary figure for them.  Could anyone tell me how they calculate that? Thanks! ...

Worker's Compensation Through MQ
Apr 01, 2010

What company do we file through?  Any info appreciated, TIA. ...

M*Modal And Compensation
Aug 26, 2011

Does anyone know how an MT is compensated when they begin using M*Modal and basically editing?  If paid by the line, if M*Modal creates a report consiisting of 75 lines, and you edit a few lines here and there, are you paid for the entire report (the full 75 lines) or just paid for what lines you edit?  ...

Sten-Tel - Can You Believe This Compensation?
Mar 13, 2012

Sten-Tel has add on MTJobs.  Can you believe this compensation?  I hope they have NO replies.  " Starting rate ranges: 5–6 cents per transcribed line; 2-3 cents per edited line." ...

Nuance Compensation ????
Jul 16, 2012

No one ever said for sure if this compensation had been to offset insurance costs, MUP or whatever?  I didn't get it and am curious why it was not across the board.   They may have been caught with their pants down on this one. ...

Coding Compensation
Oct 11, 2012

I am an MT of 20 years and 2 companies in this year alone have skimmed lines from me, albeit 1 company paid up and now am waiting on the other before I quit. I want to get out of MT and see that others have made the transition. How are at home coders compensated? MTs are paid by the line and just curious as to how coders are paid.   Thank you. Hope you are enjoying your fall where ever you may be! ...

Compensation Letter?
Dec 12, 2012

I've seen a couple of folks post on here about getting a compensation letter but I've gotten nothing other than the info they presented at the meeting yesterday.  Did they e-mail this or snail mail it?   ...

Compensation - For Transcenders
Dec 16, 2012

As you transition to Nuance, you will have training jobs going to QC.  This will count against your QC percentage and affect your ability to earn any increased increment in line rate based on your quality.  Please plan ahead carefully for a much lower paycheck and look for another job as hard as you can.  Advise all would-be MTs to look into coding or some other profession entirely.  MTs are living at poverty levels these days and we have to get the word out.  With VR ca ...

MT Compensation By MModal.
Jan 04, 2013

http://mmodal2.wordpress.com/2010/07/23/mt-compensation/ Please remember this – your company is paid for its OUTPUT, not for that high percent gain! This industry has seen an alarming increase in MTs who are not interested in transcription as a full-time career. What is happening to the career MT? How will the profession attract the quality-minded, dedicated professional if MTs can’t make any money? It won’t – it will attract the person interested in making a bit of ex ...

Here's A Article About Compensation
Mar 11, 2013

Here’s an article by For the Record magazine that is worth reading. Sometimes, their articles are a lot of fluff, AHDI stressing we need them, or words just filling a page, but this one affirms what we have all known for a very long time.   http://www.fortherecordmag.com/archives/091012p22.shtml Interesting what is written about the Transcend lawsuit too. What can we do? At the end of the article, it mentions “MTs need to work with their employers to develop a fair compensat ...

California NJA Compensation
Aug 07, 2013

To whoever it was that said they are compensated for NJA in California, can you give me some more info on how you found out about CA compensation for NJA?  Did your TSM or HR confirm?  How exactly do you enter it in Teamwork?  I am also a California MT with NJA almost every day.  Thanks. ...

Compensation Question
Sep 21, 2013

I work from home for a small hospital. I pull up the patient's account and place the reports into it. Most of my doctors are so great and give me the account number or patient information. However, I have one doctor who is bad about not giving me any information to find the account. I spend more time trying to find his patient's accounts than actually transcribing his reports. I am wondering how I can ask for compensation for this. I make .15 cents per 65 characters. Does anyone make e ...

Nuance CEO Compensation...
May 05, 2014

Saw this today. Apparently CEO of Nuance, Paul Ricci, made around $29 million last year. Makes me sick that when I was there I was barely making minimum wage after being an MT for 15 years. The article talks about how he was compensated too much even though stocks were dropping. I think the more important point is how the MTs have been treated. THAT never reaches the article of course.    http://www.bostonglobe.com/business/2014/04/28/nuance-ceo-paul-ricci-tops-pay-among-massachusett ...

Nuance Compensation
Jul 30, 2014

Any Nuance employees have any idea what the new compensation plan is going to be? ...

Wages And Compensation
Aug 07, 2014

I came into this field long after the precedent was set on pay.  I knew coming into this that the average wage ran from 6 cpl to 10 cpl, with most jobs hovering around 7 to 8 cpl.  What I didn't account for was that in more than 10 or 15 years, we'd still be at that rate.  Not only has our wage not gone up in over a decade, even with cost of living increases, but that when they came out with speech recognition, someone thought, "Well, it's doing half the work, so y ...