A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Has anyone at SS ever had enough work to qualify and/or stayed long enough sm - former SSMT

Posted: Mar 13, 2011

to receive the 3-month and 6-month installments of the signon bonus?   I could not get enough lines so I never qualified for benefits or the bonus.  (It actually is based on hours worked, but if you do less than 135 lines/hour you get fired, so if you work 8 hours and only have 200 lines that shift, you have to lie and say you only worked an hour or whatever.)  I'm just curious.  I see they are still advertising, although at least they no longer promise they have work out the wazoo.

I didn't make it, but I'm just happy to be away. I was told, though, that it is illegal s - LTMT

[ In Reply To ..]
for them not to pay you since they expect you to sit there and "check back every hour" during your shift, even when there is no work. I will not pursue it, but someone may some day. I just chalk it up to a lesson learned.

I'd pursue it, even if they only owed me 5 cents. nm - MT Wordz

[ In Reply To ..]

What is illegal? - mt2

[ In Reply To ..]
x
It is illegal for them to ask you to be present and not pay you. sm - LTMT
[ In Reply To ..]
I would work an hour of my shift or so and run out of work and was told "check back every hour," thus my presence was still required, but I was not compensated for that time. The officer of another company told me that such a practice is illegal when you are an employee. It is not worth it to me to pursue it, plus I did not keep any documentation of the emails from the qmanager. I am just happy to be away from such a sinkhole of a job.
Reply to LMT - mt2
[ In Reply To ..]
Is that a federal or state law? I can sit here for 2 - 3 hours with no work whatsoever. I need to check into this. I don't even make minimum wage at this rate. This is par for the course for this company. Also no shift differential paid or weekend differential paid.
I'm sorry -- I honestly do not know. I know they can tell you to flex sm - LTMT
[ In Reply To ..]
your time, but I was told they cannot require you to sit there your whole shift without compensating you in some manner. I hope this is not bad information. As I said, I was describing this to an officer of another company and she told me it was illegal. I assume it is a Federal labor law, but I honestly do not know.

They are no longer paying the shift differential and weekend differential? That's too bad because the weekend differential was nice, and Friday and Saturday were pretty much the only days I ever had enough work for a full shift.

Good luck to you. I truly know the pain of it all. I was supposed to be full time and I do not think I ever had a check with more than 6000 lines on it. I heard promises of a "big new account" and it will get better, hang in there, we understand ... blah, blah, blah. And the people I dealt with there are quite pleasant, but that does not pay the bills. There are certainly better places out there that do not overhire.
LO LTMT - MT2
[ In Reply To ..]
I am not with SS, but with another company. Promises up the wazoo, or just being ignored, and then they wonder why the negative comments on the boards.

Softscript - mt2

[ In Reply To ..]
You would think by their add, that they are very busy. I almost applied to them.

Yes, it is mindboggling that even with PMs - there is no work. One must wonder

[ In Reply To ..]
what the purpose of production managers was given they seem to have solved not a thing and the seemingly cranium-less leader manages to keep her job.

SS PMs - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
First I am not A PM or any type of management. However, to call a PM brainless is totally uncalled for. What do you expect them to do, pull work out of their butts? What would you do in their position? My PM does the best she can, always has, but the way SS MTs have been in the past, no respect for management and now when they are made to tow the line, they don't like it. I'll bet if they worked any place else, they wouldn't be allowed to "work when they want" or talk to and treat their superiors the way they do, they'd be gone. Go ahead and bash me, I won't be here to read it. My PM is doing the best she can, unfortunately her "higher ups" don't give a damn.

You Got It Right - Still Around

[ In Reply To ..]
Boy, did you ever call this right...good for you! Yes just because they are production managers, it don't mean they are able to give more work, the accounts have to be there first and then there has to be that thing called dictation for us to have the work. If they don't dictate, well.... you know the drill...we don't work. And then there is that thing called respect... should be in EVERY aspect of your life, not just your job...... just saying.. Personally, I agree, beyond the PMs, is probably the problem...

Try re-reading the original post - Maybe it will make

[ In Reply To ..]
sense to you with a 2nd read.

Laughed until I just about - pottied in my pantaloons

[ In Reply To ..]
when reading the comment "no respect for management and now when they are made to tow the line, they don't like it" and the comment "talk to and treat their superiors the way they do, they'd be gone."

Superiors earn respect by managing well and treating those who make their positions possible with dignity and as though they give a *h*t about their well-being. Let me repeat that Superiors EARN respect.

Not only that, what about staff who tow the line with no return on investment. Return on investment that lacks due to a very real degree of ineptness on the part of the Superiors you mention. You gave me a hearty and healthy laugh! Thanks so very much!

As far as your comment "My PM is doing the best she can, unfortunately her "higher ups" don't give a damn." SO VERY TRUE. THAT PM ACCEPTED THE POSITION and now gets to figure it out ΓΆ€“ or not. What kind of game does your PM have to solve industry-wide problems is the real question. No doubt your PM has a terrific mid-management level of understanding as to what the workers managed have gone through. Does your PM care about that in any meaningful way is another question.

PMS are about staffing, not finding work - starstruck

[ In Reply To ..]
I was whining to someone at SS about being pulled off my old accounts and reassigned brand new ones and hating it and was told that the PMs pick and choose who staffs what accounts and what shifts and that no one has the power/authority to change anything the PMs decide. So they are truly there simply to manage the feeble amount of work that is actually there, not get new work for us.

Production Manager is not Sales - Keepitreal

[ In Reply To ..]

Ummmmm, of course they don't get you new work. As the name would imply, they are production managers. Companies have sales people that are supposed to bring in more work.

What is so sad about this is they actually do not even consider where your experience level is.. - JK

[ In Reply To ..]
They just put you where they want too. No thought/checking your experience. So sad. SS used to be a good company to work for (yes I know some will disagree).

Softscript....out of work almost nightly - SS PM MT

[ In Reply To ..]
I have 8 accounts and average approximately 12 to 20 hours of work a week, although I was offered a full time, 40-hour a week job. This place is crazy. Asking the PMs over and over again why there is no work is a waste of time and don't believe for a second that they have no say when they put 50 (that's 50!!!) MTs on a 350 bed hospital and promise "lots and lots of work." That lasted for 1 day and I was out by the second day. It is not a lack of respect, I do not like to be lied to and I have a living to make and promises that go nowhere are worthless. This is overstaffing, plain and simplem and they are lying if they tell you different. I have worked third shift forever, and have never seen a company run this badly, or had managers lie to me about why they continue to advertise when I am close to living in my car.

SS - out of work

[ In Reply To ..]
hey, you want to start our own "global email loop" since management can't stand the thought? ROFLMAO

Similar Messages:

The Final Straw, The Only Reason I Have Stayed So Long
Apr 02, 2010

I just received a letter from Medquist saying they will no longer be offering Kaiser Insurance which I have had for years.  That means starting all over finding a doctor and having insurance that doesn't cover anything.  I was with Blue Cross before Kaiser and nothing was covered.  It's a scam. ...

No Self-esteem, What Else Do I Qualify For?
Aug 23, 2013

I was laid off in March after 6 years subcontracting with a small MTSO.   The drop in work was sudden, when the main client switched to a point and click system.   I am mad at myself that I had not gone ahead and started planning for another career.  I have found a part-time manual labor job, and have gone back to school and get financial aid, but it is not enough.  I am a single mom and have had to ask my parents for help several times, and my step father told me y ...

Is It Really Possible To Qualify For Partial Unemployment?
Oct 10, 2010

By year's end, I will have made about half of what I normally make working the same number of FT hours.  I've read suggestions on here to apply for partial UI, which could probably save my behind - I'm not sure how much longer I can pay the rent and not sure where me and kids would go.  However, is it really possible to qualify for that considering the nature of our work, paid by production?  Could'nt it be argued (wrongly so!!) that we just slacked off and did ...

I Can't Qualify For Health Insurance With A VR Job
May 03, 2011

This is my first VR job. I cannot make enough lines to qualify for health insurance on it. This is the first time I have ever had this problem. I could easily exceed my line count with a straight typing job. The only way I could meet line count now is if I blaze through the jobs without proofreading and put out bad-quality jobs. I wouldn't even be able to get up to stretch my legs ever. I'd have to cut my lunch down to 30 minutes. And even then I'd be about 1000 to ...

Do You Qualify For Unemployment Compensation?
Jan 12, 2012

The other day I was getting a bit nervous, so I checked - there's certain dollar amounts required over a certain time period, so this is something you might want to check into - I get the feeling the next couple of years might be a bumpy ride (bumpier ride) for a few of us, transitioning "out."  And I want out.  So the time to check into all this is well before you get laid off (if possible).  Or you have to quit, but are still eligible for unemployment because of the REASON ...

For The First Time, I Qualify For EIC Because Of MM Wages
Mar 30, 2013

Guess I have sunk to a new low. With ASR and NJA, I have joined the working poor. Can't wait until I finish school and get out of here. My wage is less than when I started MT 25 years ago. Just trying to hold on until I finish school. ...

Qualify For Unemployment If Taken Over And Decline Offer?
Aug 20, 2010

If a regular employer decides to outsource you to an MTSO and you are offered a position but declined to go, does that make you ineligible for unemployment becuase you were offered something? i.e., not a straight layoff?  I don't think they will "guarantee" our old pay of course...since it is production....Or is that all up to the company that is letting you go (what they say when unemployment contacts them?)  ...

Did Anyone Qualify For Or Get Notice Of The Quartery Bonus Yet?
Apr 05, 2013

I asked HR and was told that we would get an email by the end of this week regarding the quarterly bonuses. It's Friday afternoon. Anybody get an email yet? ...

Apparently I Qualify For Their Health Insurance.
Jul 03, 2013

I also am wondering how much would be taken out of my check for the health insurance for just myself. Thanks! ...

FIESA - Was Able To Qualify For The Quarterly Bonus
Jul 11, 2014

and in spite of every obstacle known to man thrown in my face, I was able to qualify for the quarterly bonus. Does anyone know when it will be paid out? ...

I Qualify For Unemployement Due To My Line Rate Being Reduced.
Apr 15, 2015

Took copies of all documentation in to local state employment office and it is fair grounds for quitting since my overall pay has been reduced again.  Doing a happy dance and getting ready to have time for a full time job search andtesting. :D ...

Independent Contractor - Must Have Flexible Schedule To Qualify For IC Status
Mar 11, 2010

I am thinking about pursuing a job as an independent contractor as I am retired and want something to do more than the money (retired hospital transcriptionist). It is my understanding that an IC must have flexible schedule to qualify for IC status, yet the job ads specify second and third shift as well as weekend days. Can they do this? I know the government is cracking down on ICs to make sure they are truly ICs (we all know the transcription companies will do everything to preserve their bo ...

Making So Little With N That I Qualify For $121 A Month In Food Stamps As Individual. In FL. NM
May 30, 2014

xxxx ...

Involves A "5-week-long" Or "5-week Long" Treatment.
Jul 12, 2012

This would involve a "5-week long" treatment to the breast.  ...

How Long Does It Take.....sm
Mar 26, 2010

Geez!  I was hired by a national last Friday.  It is a full week later, and they haven't even gotten all the paperwork done.  I thought I had completed it all and then they said human resources forgot a few papers.  Well, they have yet to email them to me today.  I thought I would be at least training by now.  It has been a full week.  I mean they still have to install software on my computer, and I still have to train on ES and the account specs.  Ge ...

NJA- How Long Do We Have To Sit Here?
May 31, 2010

My shift was supposed to start at 8, it is now 8:15 and only 1 job has come through.   Can I send my email and be done with it or once a job comes through do I wait another 15 minutes?   ...

How Long Would It Take?
Oct 18, 2010

Can anyone tell me how long it might take, on average, to type 60 minutes' worth of dictation?  Thank you! ...

Sorry, Rather Long
Nov 21, 2010

This is in the PE section of a consult and the patient is alert but sedated.   ...The neurologic is ( s/l tense) and is intact.  Pulses in the periphery are good.   Thanks in advance for any suggestions.  Sally ...

Why Does It Take So Long?
Mar 08, 2011

Anyone out there notice this?  That it takes twice as long to do an op note anymore in ASR what with all the cutting, pasting, standards, going back to check whether or not to delete headings, blah, blah.  It used to be a cinch to simply bring in one of my standards and make the appropriate changes according to the audio, but now with ASR, it takes twice as long.  I feel like I'm running in place and going nowhere just to make ASR learn something.  It's such a waste ...

How Long
Apr 01, 2011

How long does it take to find a new job with so many people looking for work.  ...

It Has Been A Long Day...
Apr 14, 2011

The patient did some googling and recognized the tightness he was having may have been from a heart attack... Should I capitalize googling?    ...

Need A Job? (long)
Mar 01, 2012

Started working for my current office 7 years ago.  Worked 1 year in the office then needed to work from home so went on contract.  Things were great, plenty of overtime, work as much or as little as I want and still have plenty of time to spend with my family.  After 4 years they could no longer offer me a contract per se, but still had plenty of work so I stayed with them.  Things changed, started having trouble getting my checks on time, sometimes would be becaus ...

How Long Were We Down?
Jun 11, 2012

I can't remember how long we have to be down to get downtime.  Seems like it has to be at least half an hour. ...

How Long Does It Take To Not Be Known As An MT
Jan 24, 2013

I have known where this 'profession' was headed for years; even in the late 1990s I knew. I earned the education that I need with both an associate degree and bachelor's degree (bachelor's degree from Big 10 university) and, still, many people view me as an MT, which we can all agree is not good. I have experience in my new line of work, and I have worked in that field in the past. How long is it really going to take before people do not view me with all the negative stereoty ...

You Know You Have Been Doing MT Too Long When
Apr 07, 2013

you are cleaning out your desk and find a magnetic tape eraser :)   Probably belongs in a museum :) ...

Wow--long Job
May 01, 2013

Edited a job that was 4689 long.  YIKES!  That is the biggest one I have done in a very long, long time.   ...

So Long MM
Mar 15, 2014

I've done my time! On to something else! I can't say my experience here has been terrible, certainly not as bad as some others I have seen, but I just feel it's time to go. Something else presented itself and I took it.  I'll still be checking in on you all once in awhile.  Would like to especially like to wish the potential coders well; I think that's a great opportunity! Wish me luck! ...

How Long Did It Take You To Get Off Of QA?
Dec 01, 2014

I have only been working a couple of months at Nuance and I am just wondering how long it takes to get off of QA and become DSP status.  It feels like QA is nitpicking me to death.  This is the longest I have ever been on QA before.  How long does it generally take to get off of QA.  My last audit was 99.85%.   I cannot seem to get a straight answer from my TSM either... ...

How Long On Non-DSP?
Jan 14, 2015

How long do newbies typically spend on non-DSP status, and besides not having to pend every report, what does it mean to be granted DSP status? ...

That Took Me Long Enough!
Mar 23, 2015

I quit today. No 2 weeks notice. No anything. "You won't ever be able to work for Nuance again if you do this." That's like saying, "You won't ever be able to hit yourself in the face with a hammer again if you throw it away."  There is NO WAY an MT can survive not knowing what they will make week to week. Who can budget like that? They can stick their "compensation plan" up their yin yang.  I am free!  :)  ...