A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Qualify for unemployment if taken over and decline offer? - pacificqueen

Posted: Aug 20, 2010

If a regular employer decides to outsource you to an MTSO and you are offered a position but declined to go, does that make you ineligible for unemployment becuase you were offered something? i.e., not a straight layoff?  I don't think they will "guarantee" our old pay of course...since it is production....Or is that all up to the company that is letting you go (what they say when unemployment contacts them?) 

NO, you will not qualify - Me

[ In Reply To ..]
Well I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but when the previous hospital corp. I worked for went to Spheris and laid us off, we were all offered employment with that slave outfit. Most people declined it, saying that would sweep floors at McDonald's first. Anyway, we did that knowing that unemployment laws state that if you turn down an offer, you lose out on benefits. I am truly sorry, but that's the way it works, and they KNOW this. It is win-win for the company, with hardly any unemployment claims from their former employees.

Unemployment - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
You have to check with the state which will be paying your unemployment. I was in the same situation, did not want to go with company that came in. As long as you have a letter stating your position was eliminated, you can get it, but you must have the separation paper stating you were let go because of "lack of work", in my case, company did not get contract renewed.

It depends on the state you live in - RLee

[ In Reply To ..]
Back in 2005 I was employed at a local neurology office, in which I had worked for 17 plus years. The new office manager decided to outsource to an MTSO in my state, which happens to be Maine, and the company was NEMT. He said we were being terminated at the end of the month but a recruiter from NEMT would be contacting us and would be testing us and they were very interested in taking us on board, as we already knew the dictators. My coworker and I declined the offer and testing. We both contacted the unemployment office, as our positions were being eliminated and being outsourced. We both were granted unemmployment benefits on the basis of our positions were eliminated at the in-house job. The neurology office did not fight the unemployment. All your unemployment office needs to know is that your position was eliminated due to outsourcing - do not offer any other info unless specifically asked. Fortunately at that time I was only on unemployment for 3 weeks before getting another in-house position. Unfortunately today I am on unemployment due to the results of working for a large MTSO - Transcend. When the unemployment office contacts your employer they have to state your position were eliminated due to outsourcing. Who is to say that if you did take the offer to go with the MTSO and you were tested you would pass their test?? I am not saying you would not pass, but the way these companies test today you never know. Good luck in whatever the outcome is.

I agree with RLee. Tell them your position is being outsourced... - ndmt

[ In Reply To ..]
and leave it at that. Your former employer is the only one who can decline your UE benefits, and I don't know they could prove whether or not you were really offered a job with the new company. UE in our state also states that the job has to be similar to the one you are losing, i.e., same pay, benefits, hours, etc. The possibility exists that the new company would want you to work second shift or provide your own computer, which would be a completely different setup from the job your are losing.

If you want to collect UE versus taking the other job, leave the burden of proof to everyone else and say as little as possible.

The current employer would probably fight UE, because it counts against - their taxes, and they know you have a job offer.

[ In Reply To ..]
It depends on how much the outgoing employer wants to fight it. Technically, if you have a firm job offer, you shouldn't be eligible.
If the firm offer is for 3 cpl versus $17/hour, you don't... - ndmt
[ In Reply To ..]
have to accept the offer. UE is for replacing the job you had, not for the job they want to stick you with. The old employer can fight it, but they cannot force you to take a lesser job or dictate that you have to work for such-and-such place. UE insurance is to pay benefits when your job is eliminated through no fault of your own. Your only requirement is to actively be seeking a job to replace the job you lost. I think everyone would agree that working for an MTSO on production versus an hourly job in a hospital is not the same thing.
You still do not have to accept the job - RLee
[ In Reply To ..]
The job offer has to be the same capacity to the job you are leaving - you do not have to accept that job if anything differs, i.e. pay, schedule,requirements, etc. My coworker and I actually quit on the spot when we were told that our jobs were being outsourced and we were being terminated at the end of the month. We both decided that we were not going to be used and hung up to dry while the neurology office got everything set in place with the outsource company. Why should we be loyal employees (as I had been for 17 plus years) for another 3 weeks when we were being kicked to the curb. All we told the unemployment office was our job was being outsourced and even after quitting on the spot the neurology office never fought it and there was never any type of an appeal. And, yes we both told the unemployment office we quit on the spot due to our jobs being outsourced in 3 weeks!

Sometimes you can (sm) - Long time MT

[ In Reply To ..]
In Washington state, if the new company is offering 20% or more less than you are used to making, you qualify for unemployment.

Similar Messages:

Is It Really Possible To Qualify For Partial Unemployment?
Oct 10, 2010

By year's end, I will have made about half of what I normally make working the same number of FT hours.  I've read suggestions on here to apply for partial UI, which could probably save my behind - I'm not sure how much longer I can pay the rent and not sure where me and kids would go.  However, is it really possible to qualify for that considering the nature of our work, paid by production?  Could'nt it be argued (wrongly so!!) that we just slacked off and did ...

Do You Qualify For Unemployment Compensation?
Jan 12, 2012

The other day I was getting a bit nervous, so I checked - there's certain dollar amounts required over a certain time period, so this is something you might want to check into - I get the feeling the next couple of years might be a bumpy ride (bumpier ride) for a few of us, transitioning "out."  And I want out.  So the time to check into all this is well before you get laid off (if possible).  Or you have to quit, but are still eligible for unemployment because of the REASON ...

MTs Are Being Phased Out, But There Is An Overall Decline...
Sep 27, 2013

Of note is this advertisement, but it's just a small sample: The JOHNNIE WALKER Company is asking all car owners with driver's license,who are above 20 years of age to advertise with there car for JOHNNIE WALKER.you will be receiving $400 weekly as the payment methos for allowing JOHNNIE WALKER wrap your car,if interested email back asap. ...

OMG, All I Want To Do Is Decline Coverage
Nov 25, 2013

I can't get the stupid thing to submit. It would be so much easier if there was just a button that says "Continue current coverage" I'm done, have to work, cant deal with this crap ...

This Is Contributing To The Decline In The Profession Too!!
Jun 22, 2010

Oh, I am so angry right now!!  I was just looking through ads and somehow ended up on Freelancer.com - people are over there BEGGING for jobs that pay $25 per audio hour (tops) or are entering bids for 35 hours of transcription at $0.20 per audio minute!!  Really?  Have you done the math?? UGH!!! The best was an Indian site that was asking for a medical transcriptionist with a 48 hour TAT paying...wait for it....wait for it....$1.50 cpl!!!!  I had the best time reading those ...

No Self-esteem, What Else Do I Qualify For?
Aug 23, 2013

I was laid off in March after 6 years subcontracting with a small MTSO.   The drop in work was sudden, when the main client switched to a point and click system.   I am mad at myself that I had not gone ahead and started planning for another career.  I have found a part-time manual labor job, and have gone back to school and get financial aid, but it is not enough.  I am a single mom and have had to ask my parents for help several times, and my step father told me y ...

I Can't Qualify For Health Insurance With A VR Job
May 03, 2011

This is my first VR job. I cannot make enough lines to qualify for health insurance on it. This is the first time I have ever had this problem. I could easily exceed my line count with a straight typing job. The only way I could meet line count now is if I blaze through the jobs without proofreading and put out bad-quality jobs. I wouldn't even be able to get up to stretch my legs ever. I'd have to cut my lunch down to 30 minutes. And even then I'd be about 1000 to ...

For The First Time, I Qualify For EIC Because Of MM Wages
Mar 30, 2013

Guess I have sunk to a new low. With ASR and NJA, I have joined the working poor. Can't wait until I finish school and get out of here. My wage is less than when I started MT 25 years ago. Just trying to hold on until I finish school. ...

Has Anyone At SS Ever Had Enough Work To Qualify And/or Stayed Long Enough Sm
Mar 13, 2011

to receive the 3-month and 6-month installments of the signon bonus?   I could not get enough lines so I never qualified for benefits or the bonus.  (It actually is based on hours worked, but if you do less than 135 lines/hour you get fired, so if you work 8 hours and only have 200 lines that shift, you have to lie and say you only worked an hour or whatever.)  I'm just curious.  I see they are still advertising, although at least they no longer promise they ha ...

Did Anyone Qualify For Or Get Notice Of The Quartery Bonus Yet?
Apr 05, 2013

I asked HR and was told that we would get an email by the end of this week regarding the quarterly bonuses. It's Friday afternoon. Anybody get an email yet? ...

Apparently I Qualify For Their Health Insurance.
Jul 03, 2013

I also am wondering how much would be taken out of my check for the health insurance for just myself. Thanks! ...

FIESA - Was Able To Qualify For The Quarterly Bonus
Jul 11, 2014

and in spite of every obstacle known to man thrown in my face, I was able to qualify for the quarterly bonus. Does anyone know when it will be paid out? ...

I Qualify For Unemployement Due To My Line Rate Being Reduced.
Apr 15, 2015

Took copies of all documentation in to local state employment office and it is fair grounds for quitting since my overall pay has been reduced again.  Doing a happy dance and getting ready to have time for a full time job search andtesting. :D ...

Independent Contractor - Must Have Flexible Schedule To Qualify For IC Status
Mar 11, 2010

I am thinking about pursuing a job as an independent contractor as I am retired and want something to do more than the money (retired hospital transcriptionist). It is my understanding that an IC must have flexible schedule to qualify for IC status, yet the job ads specify second and third shift as well as weekend days. Can they do this? I know the government is cracking down on ICs to make sure they are truly ICs (we all know the transcription companies will do everything to preserve their bo ...

Making So Little With N That I Qualify For $121 A Month In Food Stamps As Individual. In FL. NM
May 30, 2014

xxxx ...

Unemployment Pay For ICs?
Dec 30, 2010

Wondering....was forced to change from statutory employee to IC status with federal ID number instead of SS# when MDI-MD was rolled into Transcend.  Now, Transcend informs that they are NOT going to be employing ICs after Jan 1, 2011. Would like to apply for unemployment, but am being told by a number of people that is not do-able because wages were paid under Federal ID #, not to my social and I signed an IC contract (under great duress, I might add!) Anybody have experience with this, ca ...

Unemployment ??
Aug 01, 2011

Has anyone applied for unemployment when you have run out of work? Just wondering, you can - even if you have work on and off, but not enough, depending on what your state requirements are.  I can no longer survive like this anymore, work then no work - I have only made 100.00 in a week and a half.  Anyone in this occupation should be able to be retrained through EDD as this job is disappearing and we are being taken advantage of ....... Just won ...

Where Does Unemployment Come From If....
Oct 16, 2011

If you live in 1 state and work at home but your employer is located in another state, which state pays your unemployment?  My state pays relatively low but if I am able to collect from my employer's state, I would receive slightly more money per week.  Anyone have any experience with this?   ...

Unemployment In CA-do You Go Through CA?
Apr 15, 2013

I am being told I have to go through TN since MModal is located there. ...

Unemployment FYI: If You Even Think, You Might
Oct 05, 2013

Start getting paperwork documentation in order NOW.  Here's hoping you don't need it, but you will be that much further ahead if you do.   Even if you're not at risk of being fired, laid off could be possible and you would still need this. It could be at least 21 days from the time the question arose, before you receive an answer about benefits.  If your case is complicated in any way, it will take longer. Try as hard as you can to save up at least 2, if not ...

Unemployment
Dec 23, 2014

Does anyone know if you would be eligible for unemployment if you get terminated because you are not "meeting contractual obligations" i.e. LPH/QA?   ...

I Got A Job Offer!
Jan 17, 2010

Haven't even completely finished school, tested for a part time IC position, and I got the job offer today! It can be done, ****! *** Stop with the snide remarks toward experienced MTs who do not share your point of view for this career.   Moderator *** ...

Offer
Dec 07, 2010

hypertype:  Straight VR - 0.6 cents/line, IC status with 10.00 licensing fee every 2 weeks. Mostly ER. Good offer? or bad offer? ...

Job Offer At TTS ?
Sep 19, 2012

Have an offer,not sure though. Would love to hear from others who work there and in the know. How is their QA done, weekly, monthly, every 3 months like where I work now or just how. Do you think the QA is there, fair, critical, just anything I could find out would be nice.  ...

Non-MT Job Offer
Mar 29, 2013

...Okay, I'm not here to start a fight about union vs non-union, but I was just offered a non-MT job at a hospital that has a union, and I am anti-union.  When she told me that it was a union position, my jaw dropped.  She must have seen the look on my face, because she told me that since this is Florida, we don't HAVE to join the union or pay dues or anything like that.  My face brightened up right away. SO, if you are not pro-union be SURE to ask if the state you live ...

Factoids On Unemployment
Dec 27, 2009

Some of you may know some or all of this about unemployment from the "employer's" perspective but here goes.  I just spoke to my brother who is the CEO of his very successful business, with only a handful of employees, but he is looking on netting over 1 mil. next year (!)  Anyway, he lives and works in California.  He told me that if someone applies for disability, the state contacts him to hear his point-of-view.  They tell him why the employee has filed, and he has a ...

Partial Unemployment?
Feb 16, 2010

Anyone had luck in getting partial unemployment as a PT employee?  I have a record of all NJA which does not happen every day but at least a few times each month. ...

Can Anyone Tell Me About Unemployment After Spheris Buy Out?
Mar 15, 2010

Can anyone tell me if I were to survive the MQ buy out and was actually hired by MQ but "things" changed quite a bit, would I be eligible to draw unemployment? ...

Probation And Unemployment
Sep 15, 2010

Does anyone know if you can collect unemployment if it doesn't work out with a company while you are on probation?  In other words, you do your 90 days and either you or the company decides it did not work out.  Can you then recieve unemployment?  Thanks!  ...

Unemployment Issues
Nov 10, 2011

Has anyone ever been offered a job and accepted offer letter only to turn it down and actually not start working at all at the company and then filing for unemployment benefits?  This is what has happened to me.   This happened to me and now evidently it threw up a red flag to unemployment benefits audit department.   Now unemployment has to check with that company I was supposed to start at to verify employment and now I have a 50-50 chance of getting benefits and have to wait a ...