A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

When clocking out for breaks, how do you make up time? - SBH

Posted: Oct 21, 2013

If I clock out to go to the bathroom, how do I make up the time and stay within my "scheduled hours"?  Just wondering how everyone else works this out.  Apparently, they no have a perfomance checker to correlate when clocked in and actually on what you are doing in DQM now.  Also, does anyone know how to check the time worked in DQM?

Clock - Mt

[ In Reply To ..]
I dont clock out to go to the bathroom.

I don't clock out for anything - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
I eat at the desk, usually while reviewing a report..Doesn't take up much time to make food anyway, so not worth clocking out. 8 hours glues to this desk is more than enough

same here, and here's how I justify it - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
They don't care about all the times I sat there for 10 minutes with no work, then another 7 minutes, and another 12 minutes... so I feel justified making a sandwich each day at 4-5 minutes.

I thought we were required to take a lunch break? - nm

[ In Reply To ..]
x

Same here ... no breaks - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
I usually have something "premade" in the fridge - leftovers, tuna salad, etc where I can just grab and go. Bathroom breaks are running there, going, and running back. There is no way I'm spending even one minute longer at my desk to make up those 2-5 minute lapses during the day!

Taking breaks - JustMe

[ In Reply To ..]
You should be able to start your shift 15 minutes early and end 15 minutes after if you're a person who likes or needs to take breaks like I do but check with your TSM to be sure. If 30 minutes is not enough time, I'd contact my TSM for a schedule change to allow time for breaks. To my knowledge, we don't have access to the time worked in Fluency. I believe they've had the capability to see what we're doing on Fluency for quite a long time now and finally gave us access to some of it by letting us see our inactive time. Hope this helps.

They can see everything in DQM or - Anon

[ In Reply To ..]
whatever it is called now. It puts it in chart form, every second we spend, every minute is documented in a graft all they do is choose your name, the date they want to look at and you would be amazed at what supervisors and mgm can see. I know I have been there as a supervisor before (never again, too stressful) but they can and do see it ALL. They can also look to see if we are working off the clock making up lines or trying to get more lines, almost like a GPS in your body following your every move! Just be careful, stick to schedules, and take small 3-5 minute breaks as you need to, I do and every doctor in America will tell you that you need to rest your eyes and stretch your legs and empty your bladder hourly (well some do not have to empty bladder that much), anyhow, it is a tough spot we are in, but if you are like me and need a job until something pops up, then march on.

You get a nice long ASR report, turn the speed to low, - put a brick

[ In Reply To ..]
on the pedal and go to the bathroom and each lunch. If the report ends, repeat the process. Slide back to the beginning and put the brick back on. Yes we are serious and yes we have done this. Keeps everything "active" with no downtime. Unless you want the extra ten cents you would make by clocking out and making it up. I didn't. Wasn't making any money anyways.

I just take 10, 15, - 20 minute breaks

[ In Reply To ..]
whenever I need them and don't clock off and on. They have never hasseled me about this (2 years), which is surprising, because they always find other reasons to harass me. I just can't sit for hours and hours on end without feeling sick and distracted. If we are now so deep into Bangladeshi sweat shop mode with this job, then I will gladly pass it on to whoever needs it.

Me too. - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
I run to the bathroom, I eat at the desk. If my kids call and need something, I answer the phone and talk as long as they need to..No one has ever said a thing to me. But I have my line counts, and quality, and I rarely have any emergencies come up where I can't work. They know if the internet is working, so am I. I think that is really all they care about.

Why use a brick? Ctrl plus space bar - JustMe

[ In Reply To ..]
Why use a brick when Ctrl plus the space bar starts and stops dictation when you don't feel like using the foot pedal. I use this all the time during dictation to give my ankle and foot a break on good dictations. :-)

If you do this, then they are going to ask why were in that report so long - nnn

[ In Reply To ..]
They know all the tricks. That won't work. It looks to conspicious if you are in a report for an hour and it should only take you 10 minutes at most to type.

Does that work for you? - Lulu

[ In Reply To ..]
I tried doing that for awhile to see if my inactive time would go down or stay the same. It didn't change anything for me, same inactive time, brick or no brick. Guess it depends on a lot of factors, wonder how accurate their little charts are?

Brick not gonna do it - Jax

[ In Reply To ..]
The idle time tracker starts clocking time 30 seconds after a key is pressed on your keyboard. Playing the audio with a brick on the foot pedal or using CTRL + space bar will NOT keep your system active. There has to be continual input from the keyboard. It's a joke.

but... - ASR

[ In Reply To ..]
Everyone knows how perfect ASR is so we should be able to just read along. So why do they expect input from the keyboard every 30 seconds?
I think there is some misinformation above - JustMe
[ In Reply To ..]
I use Ctrl+space to start and stop audio and on some rpts I don't have to touch the keys very much at all. Based on my stats, I'm sure as long as audio is playing it's not counted as idle time or I would have more than 5 minutes of idle time in a day.

I only clock out for my lunch break. I'm not wasting time clocking in - and out all day long. NM

[ In Reply To ..]
x

They are watching - and making lists

[ In Reply To ..]
My friend said she just got word that not only can they watch, they have now decided to track us all so that our clock hours match our production hours, and if they don't match you will be accused of "over reporting" your hours...and you will be punished. This strikes me as ludicrous as the time clock means nothing to our pay. Just another form of bullying and I do not use that term frivolously.

Clock hours - Jess

[ In Reply To ..]
The reason why they are (or have been) "watching" our times is because if you are clocked in and dont make at least minimum wage they have to pay you for at least minimum wage (according to what state you are in pay). So if your clocked in and do not make what adds up to be minimum wage, for whatever reason, they have to pay you. I'm not sure exactly how they figure your time, whether it be production time or actual clocked in time.

Agreed - I REFUSE to let that stop me from being myself - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
I absolutely refuse to allow "Big Brother" to determine whether or not I go to the bathroom, stop for lunch or answer my phone when it rings. We are paid on PRODUCTION so the one and only thing they should be concerned with is if we are PRODUCING, not whether or not our "clock hours" matches our "production hours". I remember in the not so distant past when we didn't even HAVE to clock in and out and the only reason we're having to do it now is because their hands got slapped for not paying their employees overtime when it was earned.

JUST LET THEM start barking about my "clock time" vs "production time". Just let them. This tenured and 15-year long loyal, 99.9% accuracy rated, MME will slam the door so hard it'll make their bells ring.

I say bring it - they dont scare me nm

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

they scare the bejesus otta me! - chicken little

[ In Reply To ..]
Terrified of them, can't lose this job, the stress is horrendous.
Uhm whatcha afraid of - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
there are labor laws that allow for coffee breaks and bathroom breaks..what does MModal care so long as you are making your minimum lines, if your not producing they aren't paying you
This - reaction
[ In Reply To ..]
is why they get away with what they do.
Exactly - anon
[ In Reply To ..]
Totally, completely agreed ... they keep their power by "scaring the bejesus" out of people just like this.

Sorry, but the "bejesus" doesn't get scared out of me very easily, and it would take an entity a thousand times scarier than MModal to do it.
Right there with you, terrified too but in the - shaking in my flipflops
[ In Reply To ..]
meantime, I am putting in applications elsewhere, even non-MT. This is the worst company I have ever had the misfortune to work for.

They do that for PTO time accrued. I am part time and don't earn any PTO anyway so not sure why - they would care

[ In Reply To ..]
but I guess for full time that is why.

Would you clock out to go to bathroom at an office? - Same rules for your home office

[ In Reply To ..]
Office workers are not asked to clock out and use the restroom on their own time. Do you think our "leaders" make up time for their breaks? They SAY they work 24/7 but how often do they answer their office phone during business hours? NEVER. How many holidays do they make sure and take advantage of? EVERY ONE. How many do we get? ZERO (we used to get 10 holidays and 5 days sick time). How much sick and real vacation time do they get (not using PTO to supplement NJA hours)? Lots. Now, let's put that in perspective and don't we look silly for falling for their nonsense. They get far more than they pay for as it is. I say stand firm and pee on the clock! hahaha.

In my state we get paid for breaks but even if we didn't, I would not clock out - jjj

[ In Reply To ..]
I don't care if they can see every move I make. If they want to fire me for something that they don't like..bring it on. I'm ready to retire anyway

My QC told me the time to take a break and not have - it count against you is

[ In Reply To ..]
While you are on the screen that tells you what your next 2 jobs are ... the one that comes up just after you finish a report and just before you download your next one. When you are on this screen, time is not counting against you - but once you've downloaded your next job and have it up on your screen, the clock starts ticking so bathroom breaks, lunch breaks, etc should be taken just before you download your next report.

Hope this helps.

Similar Messages:

Make Up Time
Sep 30, 2012

Do we still have to make up time in the evening on Friday? ...

NJA And Make Up Time
Feb 18, 2013

Been talking with another MT/ME about NJA and makeup  time.  She was told/asked by her supervisor to change shifts.  She brought up the fact that work was being shipped to India and was told that was not the case that she just  needed a different schedule.  How is that going to help? She is on day shift now.  People on second and third are running out of work.  Confused how changing work schedule will change  NJA.  Can't wait to hear what her man ...

What Do You Do If You Cannot Make Up Time?
Sep 05, 2013

I cannot be at my computer all hours throughout the day, that is why I signed up for a particular shift! I am part time, have had littel work for a long time, and almost no PTO. What are some of you doing in a case like this? Seems as if the only option is to let you go, because you are not compling (or just cannot ) or you quit! ...

Does This New QA-First Time System Make
Mar 14, 2010

I have come to not trust MQ and I am feeling as though this is another way of bilking us for lines, ease in firing, or something.  Am I alone here, or just being paranoid? ...

MAKE UP TIME WEEKEND?????
Jun 07, 2012

CAN YOU BELIEVE THIS???? Asking to "help them out" on Saturday for those who needed to make up work!!! Got 18 hours last week and only 5 this week, where was all the work then???? Rather file for unemployment than to do this weekend work anymore.  ...

When There's Never Any Work To Make Up Your Time,
Nov 19, 2012

you don't have any PTO left from using it all up on NJA, and you have to just take off without pay, what does that do as far as your insurance?  Will you lose it?   I guess the lesson here is to only take a couple of days of PTO & save the rest for NJA in the fall/winter...? ...

How Much Does An At-home MT Make Part Time?
Nov 08, 2009

I was wondering if anyone would share their wages with me, because  I read on this forum that lots of MT's are upset about the way that the MT schools are saying that you can "make so much money", and I am going through careerstep (about to take my final actually). I wanted to realistically grasp how much money I could really be making with this career. I am wanting home-based because I have an infant child.     ...

Are There Any Companies Who Don't Make Their QAs Transcribe All The Time?
Dec 07, 2009

I became a QA years ago because of carpal tunnel, and the last couple of companies I've worked for have hired me to QA but never had enough QA work, and I've ended up transcribing most of the time.  My hands simply cannot take it, so any leads would be greatly appreciated!  Please feel free to email me! ...

Does Being A Long-time MT Make You More Valuable If You Become A Coder?
Mar 28, 2010

So if someone has been an MT for 10 years and then moves onto coding, does that make them more valuable to employers? Also do you recommend the Andrews School over the rest?  I am pretty sure I am going to do this but am wondering if I should sit in college class and do all of this or go with the Andrews School. Is there really a PLUS to taking the classes on campus in a classroom setting?  Thanks! ...

Impossible To How Many Full-time To Not Make Hours.
Jan 26, 2013

I haven't made by 80 hours per pay in quite a long time (almost a year).  I sure there are some of you out there, too.  They must not mind paying their portion of my benefits from health insurance to life insurance, STD, an on.  What is up with that?  I have never had a call saying I have to make my hours up or get called on the carpet for only sometimes putting in 50 hours or less.  I just don't get it! ...

Make More Money Full Time At McDonalds
Jan 23, 2015

.07 cpl, paying once a month with a fee if direct deposit is utilized?  Geez, thought my job was hideous...  I could literally make more money working minimum wage 40 hours a week.  It is sad what this has come too. 19 years of hard work and dedication to watch it waste away...  ...

What Happens At Nuance If You Are Part-time And Cannot Always Make Line Count?
Apr 26, 2013

I can do it most of the time, but every now and then I miss it, sometimes by as much as 20 lines per hour. I have had 1 email asking that I use my time more productively and make the line count. I actually do use my time as productively as I can. I admit, although I have done this for years, I am not great with VR editing. Also, with the high standards and deductions in FIESA, I really listen and listen again to much of my transcription so I don't fall below wanted numbers there. I am doing ...

How Many Employees Make Under Minimum Wage & Use A Time Clock?
Jun 27, 2014

I recently started working for a new MTSO and am employee-status for the first time.  We use a time clock.  My LPH is half what it should be due to the volume of horrid dictators. When that rare miracle happens and I get all good dictators for an hour my LPH double and meets requirement. My concern is:  How many are fired because they don't meet the required volume for fear of FSLA suits?  Is this still happening like it was a year ago?   What can we do when the l ...

Clocking In And Clocking Out
May 29, 2013

So, some of you talk like clocking in and clocking out is a matter of routine... are we not supposed to stay clocked in all the time?  Is this not necessary if you want to earn that big MINIMUM WAGE PAYCHECK because there is no work?  Someone, please, set me straight!  I want to earn my own MINIMUM WAGE PAYCHECK as soon as possible!    ...

Clocking Out OOW?
May 30, 2013

Got an email earlier this week about the OOW situation, how we are supposed to do regular clock out if we intend to make up the time or clock out OOW if we are not planning to make up the time.  Anybody know what's the difference?  I am OOW now and planning to clock out soon.  I already have time from earlier this week I can't make up and now this.  Just want to know what it means.  Thanks. ...

Clocking Out For KS
May 31, 2013

Did anyone else receive an email from their coordinator about clocking in and out when there is no work on an account?  Maybe I'm wrong, but if I'm assigned a shift and I'm there looking for work, how can I be made to clock out?  If I have to be available in case there is work those 8 hours, I should be paid those 8 hours and be on the clock, right?  That email seems fishy to me.  If there are no customers in line at Burger King, employees don't clock out ...

Anybody Else Having Probs Clocking In Or Out?
Nov 12, 2012

Cannot seem to get into Alphastaff to clock out?  Anyone else having problem? ...

I Don't Mind Clocking In And Out
Dec 02, 2014

I don't mind clocking in and out, everyone has to do that, but if there is down time that needs to be added to my timecard or the like then that should be their job not ours.  I don't have time for all this unpaid crap. I just want to clock in and do my work then clock out and forget about the rest.  They get paid the big bucks to take care of our timecards if there are additions that need to be added. ...

Regarding Clocking In/out Right To The Minute, Or Being Locked Out..
Mar 06, 2010

You are all ready to clock in at precisely the scheduled time only to lose internet connection.  This has happened to me many times, and by the time I have unplugged and replugged and reset modem, and that doesn't work, so had to get on phone with internet tech support, 30 minutes or more have passed by....then what?    OR,  if the power goes out, which can be anywhere from a quick flash on and off to longer....then what?   OR, when getting close to end of shift ...

Been Clocking In And Out On My Card Whenever There Isn't Work
Feb 21, 2013

I'm tired of being clocked in and my benefit rate suffering for it so I am clocking in and out. It will probably affect my PTO since I am part time and don't get any anyway but oh well. It looks like I will be using my benefit rate a lot more than PTO what with all this NJA going on ...

From Thread Below, Clocking Out For Potty Break?
Jan 20, 2011

I never clock out for breaks.  Am I supposed to?  I am scheduled for 4 hours at a time with a 1-hour break in the middle.  If I clock out for a break, don't I have to make up the time at the end of my shift?  I don't wanna do that.  I take a break whenever I feel like it.  I can't type 4 hours straight.  How does it work for everybody else? ...

I Am Thinking Of Clocking In Under Work Availability While
Apr 25, 2013

If I am sitting at my computer waiting for jobs to come in every 5-13 minutes, I should be paid. I should not have to be penalized by an adverse effect on my line count if I were to stay clocked in as production. Waiting for jobs while clocked out is still being on the job if you are signed into Fluency. So, the way I figure, you are still working, but off the clock. Plus, as proof that you are working off the clock, your Fluency log in time will be greater than your clocked in time. ...

HOW OFTEN DO YOU TAKE BREAKS?
Nov 10, 2009

When you guys type how often do you take breaks?  Do you find that if you take frequent breaks - say every hour or hour and a half for about 5 minutes that you are more productive?  Or do you sit and type for more than 2 hours straight without stopping?  Just wondering how often others take breaks.  This was also one of the "tips" given by the top producers of the company according to MQ.  They claimed these folks took frequent breaks but went hard at it for an hour or s ...

Sentence Breaks
Nov 12, 2009

Hello to all MT posters- - Am wondering about tips about sentence breaks and comma use. Any advice/guidelines when the doctor is running fast and sentence breaks and paragraphing don't seem obvious? -Thanks to the MT's that give advise in a  professional manner. So many of the newbie posts hit right at home. -Still waiting for my AIM internship to start. Has anyone interned with AIM?   Diane   ...

Regarding Breaks In Certain States
Nov 14, 2009

I lost the email, but supposedly I get a 10-minute break after 4 hours. Do I clock out of DQS but stay clocked on at ScheduleSource or do I stay logged onto both and walk away from the computer for 10 minutes? Does it show up on the time card or only on the pay stub. Does anyone know the details? Thank you. ...

Re PTO Taxes, Breaks
Jul 03, 2012

ok here's the dirt from payroll. If you are paid a lump sum such as PTO, the IRS  considers it "supplemental" and taxes it at 25%! So, if you're considering leaving, best to take all the PTO you have before. Wish I would have known that before. As far as paid breaks, I didn't realize it was "state" dependent...so thanks for that information. Cudos for KY this time requiring a break after 4 hours.  Either way, it would not have mattered to me as I took a break whenev ...

Bathroom Breaks, Etc.
May 13, 2015

I have recently stopped punching in and out for bathroom breaks, coffee, stretching, etc., because in the work place no one has to punch out to use the bathroom, etc. I feel this is very unfair to expect us to punch in and out to use the bathroom. Anyone else? ...

Rest Breaks
May 15, 2015

Does M*Modal pay for rest breaks? ...

Paid Breaks
May 27, 2015

Has anyone every received an employee handbook?  I found this quite interesting, especially the part about state compliance with paid breaks.  I am sure the labor commissioner is going to love that sentence stating taking breaks may affect your MUP/benefit eligibility/weekly hour requirements.  How are they going to explain how this is a paid break? "MEALS/REST BREAKS Employees that are scheduled to work more than six consecutive hours are entitled to two 15 minute paid break periods and ...

Tax Breaks For Companies That OFFSHORE!
Jan 28, 2010

Anybody rejoicing over the fact that we may be finally stopping the offshoring of jobs overseas? I think we should have a party! ...