A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Yahoo! Article about MT being #4 best job to have for flexibility - Hayseed

Posted: Nov 04, 2010

Totally made me LOL this morning, especially the "You get to decide your own hours" line.  I cut and pasted this section of the article but the full report can be found here:

http://education.yahoo.net/articles/flexible_careers_that_pay.htm?wid=1

Career #4 - Medical Transcriptionist

Medical transcriptionists listen to and transcribe dictated recordings made by doctors and other health care professionals. As a medical transcriptionist, you would need to understand medical terminology, anatomy and physiology, diagnostic procedures, pharmacology, and treatment assessments.

Freedom Factor: A great many medical transcriptionists work at home, thanks to the growing practice of receiving dictation over the Internet. If you're one of these home-based medical transcriptionists, you get to decide your own hours. It's up to you whether you work full time, part time, evenings, or weekends.

Training: Completion of a two-year associate's degree or one-year certificate program is highly recommended, but not always required. Many programs include supervised on-the-job experience.

Salary: Medical transcriptionists had a median hourly wage of $15.41 in May 2008, with the top 10 percent of transcriptionists earning more than $21.81 per hour.

Actually, the salary, at least, seems almost realistic. - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
No "$50,000 a year" in your pajamas poo.

Salary - RLee

[ In Reply To ..]
The salary mentioned was in 2008 - they need to do an update more in depth to the declning wages (slave wages) in the MT industry and the reasons why. I used to make that wage in 2008, but 2009 barely made a living and 2010 on unemployment. Thanks for the laugh!!!!!

Seems very accurate to me then and now. - gaga

[ In Reply To ..]
Am making roughly $22 to $24 an hour now compared to 2008.

Seems pretty accurate to me - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
At one of the larger companies I once worked for, I had a schedule, but I did get to chose what shift and what hours out of that shift I wanted to work. I now work for a medium-sized where I do work when I want and do average prob 15000 lines per bimonthly pay period at 9 cpl. Not to mention what I am saving in gas, childcare, clothing, eating out, etc.

I'd say they were right on target with it. - ?

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

It reads to me as propaganda. Something - Lowly paid MT with lots of experience

[ In Reply To ..]
a school would put out trying to lure people into taking their course.

Until two years ago, I was making $20+/hour, now it is more like $9 and that is really with pushing. I would take a minimum wage job in a heartbeat if I could get one. The pay is about the same and the amount of responsibility and knowledge is far less. I never get beyond the online application. I am guessing it is my age. So for those who are making this great wage, you are one account away from the real world of transcription today. I hope you have paid off your houses and cars when your salaries are high. That is what has saved me.

Similar Messages:

Article On Bosses From Yahoo This Morning
Mar 26, 2010

According to Yahoo:  Have you not heard? It's the 21st century. Threats and power plays just do not cut it anymore (and they were always a terrible way to manage). Yes, you pay people's salaries but that doesn't mean you're their lord and master. You are their leader, however. Leaders lead by inspiring, teaching, encouraging, and, yes, serving their employees. Good leaders never need to threaten. If you really want to motivate people, consider giving them a stake in th ...

India Outsourcing Article From Yahoo News
Mar 26, 2010

Check out this article on outsourcing and the newly passed healthcare bill. This article talks about how the massive job increases are pretty much going to go go India and not stay here in the U.S. http://news.yahoo.com/s/csm/20100325/wl_csm/290215   ...

Webmedx Flexibility?
Oct 10, 2011

I expect all companies have schedules and time clocks anymore, but could you tell me if Webmedx allows a little flexibility for extra runs to school for forgotten lunch, timing in 15 minutes early or late, etc.  As long as you get your total lines and hours in are they pretty easy to work with? ...

Part Time Job With Flexibility
Jan 29, 2012

I have a job part time job right now but am commited to specific hours. Due to some personal issues and changes with the company, I'm looking for something new. Was wondering if anyone knew of any companies hiring part time employees right now with super flexible schedules. ...

Accentus - Flexibility With Schedules
Feb 21, 2012

Hi.  I was wondering if there are any Accentus employees here that could tell me a little about working for them..specifically, their 15 hour weekend position, 3rd shift positions and if they are employee status positions.  I was also wondering if it a set schedule because I had read that there is more flexibility with schedules with Accentus, etc.  Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks! ...

Do Any Of You Ever Post On Yahoo Answers?
Mar 16, 2012

I am not sure if tihis is the right place to post this, but I used to ask questions there all the time.  Now just recently I went on there and could not believe all the profanity and inappropriate subjects they let people post there.  It is really awful and I am shocked to see some things that are passed up for censoring.  People call each other jerks and bigoted racists all the time.  I am wondering where are their moderators and why is no one doing anything to stop thi ...

Trying To Type For 8 Hours And Having No Flexibility
Oct 20, 2012

Having a problem trying to type for 8 hours and having no flexibility. Any suggestions? ...

Has Anyone Interviewed Via Yahoo For An MT Position With CHS
Jan 30, 2014

I applied for a job on mtjobs.com.  I received an email for an interview via yahoo.  They want to deposit $$ in an account for me to buy "supplies/software/etc" so I can start my MT job with them.  Has anyone ever heard of this?  I'm sensing scam...... ...

MY YAHOO Making Me Sign In Every Time
Jun 19, 2010

Suddenly now I have to sign in every time all day long on My Yahoo, even though the box is checked to keep me signed in for two weeks.  Anyone know how to fix this?  It's a PIA to keep signing in over & over.     No reply from Yahoo when I wrote them (surprise, suprise!) ...

Nuance Flexibility & Standards Questions
Dec 04, 2013

I work from home part-time for a large hospital corporation locally, but we are constantly running out of work and being asked to use PTO or VTO and take the day off.  I'm running out of PTO and cannot afford to take the day off without pay.  I don't need insurance or any of that, as I get it through my current employer but to supplement income I decided to apply at Nuance.  A recruiter got back to me with the link to their pre-employment testing.  My question is th ...

Flexibility With MQ - Changing Hours For Sports Activities, Etc.
Oct 12, 2009

Is this pretty much depending on who your direct supervisor is or is this new time keeping thing one that allows you to make changes, switch shifts, etc.? ...

Question On How Companies Deal With Schedule Flexibility.
Dec 01, 2009

I would like to know how different companies work with you as far as schedule flexibility.  For example, if you are working second shift and your child's music concert was during your shift, how would your company (or previous companies) work with you on that?  Any companies that are especially flexible or any that are especially not?  Along that line, any companies that give you, say a 10-12 hour window to get 8 hours in?   Thanks for any info you can give me. ...

Companies With A Yahoo E-mail Account Just Look Shady.
May 15, 2014

Or maybe it's just me?   ...

2 More Ads At Other Job Site With Resumes Going To Yahoo Email Addys.
May 24, 2014

ridiculous pay rate of $1.30 per line. Just beware that is you respond to these ads, there is a good chance they are a scam. Check MTStars archives for postings on these scam ads. ...

Anybody Know Of A Company With Clinic Work, IC, Minor Flexibility In Hours?
Jan 22, 2015

I've been out of MT for a few years to go back to college after spending a decade at the daily grind but finances require me to go back to work and so I'm crawling back to the industry again. Anyone know of any companies (nationals fine by me) who are hiring for clinic work? It would be extra ideal to find an IC position that offered me even minor flexibility with my schedule so I could break to drive my kids to school and husband to and from work etc. since we are currently all s ...

Yahoo News "India's Medical Schools Plagued With Fraud"
Jun 18, 2015

A commenter said that to work in the US, the foreign doctor has to intern in the States.  I have to research if that is true.  Anyone know? ...

This Article Just Says It All.
Oct 09, 2012

Whole WSJ Article
Mar 08, 2014

A medical services company owned by a J.P. Morgan Chase JPM +0.85% & Co. private-equity arm is preparing to file for bankruptcy protection in the next two weeks as it struggles under a hefty debt load and declining sales, people familiar with the matter said.M*Modal is in discussions with its creditors on a prearranged restructuring plan that would streamline its trip through bankruptcy court, these people said. The bankruptcy negotiations come about 18 months after One Equity Partners took ...

MedicalScribes - An Article About Them
Sep 07, 2010

This is an interesting article about using medical scribes to do transcription.  It is a way for doctors to create electronic medical records and not have to enter information into computers themselves. http://articles.latimes.com/2010/sep/06/health/la-he-medical-scribes-20100906 ...

Interesting Article On VBC...
Jun 14, 2011

http://health-information.advanceweb.com/Article/VBC-Compensation-for-MTs.aspx Read the comments too.  The second one is on point! ...

Article About Nuance
Feb 19, 2011

I don't work for Nuance or the other 3 MTSOs listed, but I found this article clear and with devastating details about the exact cost of what happens to the local economy when employers opt to switch to the offshoring companies: http://www.abc4.com/content/news/slc/story/University-of-Utah-Hospital-sending-local-jobs/ApYQbQl0d0OqwCx2vzmjlQ.cspx or search "University of Utah Hospital sending local jobs overseas" "Hundreds of people just like Rachelle are losing their jobs at medical tra ...

Article About MT Credentialing
Apr 09, 2011

I just brought in my mail and there was the March 28 issue of "For the Record", a magazine that was part of my AHDI membership benefits. I don't know why they're still sending it to me because my AHDI membership ran out, but I the cover story of this issue is "The MT Credentialing Debate: What do Medical Transcriptionists Gain by Adding RMT or CMT to Their Resumes?" I haven't started reading it yet, but it should be interesting! ...

Recent Article About MQ
Aug 01, 2011

http://ahdilounge.blogspot.com/2011/08/medquists-new-ceo-re-branding-on.html   They seem pretty happy about having 28 sites in India and want to keep offshoring more of their work.  I really wonder how many Americans, if properly educated about the whole thing, would really want their medical history sent overseas.  I know clinics/hospitals don't care.  They are using MQ and other services that offshore because they want to save a buck on services.  Yeah I know, s ...

Interesting Article...
Aug 07, 2011

This just basically proves that it still takes a human to do what a computer can't do...     ...

A Link To An Article
Mar 14, 2012

http://mttoolsonline.com/2011/01/25/medical-transcription-a-salary-perspective-over-11-years/ Article about MTs salaries compared to other jobs in the HIM department.  If you don't want to click on the link, google the following:  Medical Transcription A Salary Perspective over 11 years. ...

Good Article: ST Vs. SR
Jun 16, 2012

MTs Need to Get Off Inaccurate Pay Scale http://www.fortherecordmag.com/archives/050712p29.shtml#.T7hYiI60y30.facebook ...

Another Interesting Article...sm
Jul 12, 2012

found this interesting and encouraging... ...

Medigrafix Article
Aug 22, 2012

http://www.wowt.com/factfinders/headlines/Medical-Workers-Not-Being-Paid-166705406.html?mobile=yes ...

For The Record Article About MT Pay
Sep 11, 2012

http://www.fortherecordmag.com/archives/091012p22.shtml   ...

Another Great Article
Sep 12, 2012

From the magazine "For the Record."   http://www.fortherecordmag.com/archives/091012p22.shtml ...