A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Another great article - about crappy MT pay

Posted: Sep 12, 2012

From the magazine "For the Record."

http://www.fortherecordmag.com/archives/091012p22.shtml

quote from that article regarding Transcend lawsuit - Des

[ In Reply To ..]
"The outcome of this lawsuit could have significant ramifications for MTs, says Jay Vance, CMT, CHP, of Superior Global Solutions, an outsourcing company in Plano, Texas. âUp until this point, as long as the transcriptionists are willing to sit back and take whatever is given to them in terms of compensation and working conditions, then thatâs the way itâs going to be. But now that a group of people have actually taken a stand and said, âWe donât believe that this practice is right, ethical, or legal,â now all of a sudden, everybody in the industry is waiting to see whatâs going to happen,â he says."

quotes from that article regarding compensation - Des

[ In Reply To ..]
"Quality also should play a larger role in compensation, says the MT who wished to remain anonymous."

"Some MTs believe those who work on multiple accounts per day should receive extra compensation for their flexibility and versatility. Others believe they should be paid more for working on weekends and holidays or when working overtime on reports that are more difficult to transcribe."

"Another suggestion is for employers to consider the accuracy of speech recognition technology when setting line rates." ... "Likewise, MTs could earn more money for editing documents produced by difficult dictators and less for those who speak clearly."

"Compensation should incorporate all tasks that MTs perform, such as checking e-mails, reviewing quality assurance reports, and researching demographics, Nicholls says."

To the original poster, thank you for sharing this article with us! - Des

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

Thank you for posting - great article

[ In Reply To ..]
This is a great article that brings to light the challenges MTs have been experiencing. The one thing that I don't understand is that MTSOs still don't understand fair compensation. I believe in the article it was quoted that $14 per hour wouldn't be unresonable compensation for an MT. I don't think that is right. I used to make more than $20 per hour, and even though my pay has been significantly cut, I can usually make more than $14 per hour on production.

I agree with you... - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
I could easily average 24 to 30 an hour before speech rec. Now, I average 12 to 17. I think 14 is TOO LOW based on the facts that they point out, that speech rec requires the same skill set. I think starting pay might be 14, but that MTs with over 10 years experience should be well over 20!

I think that is combined with an incentive pay, or line rate - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
That's what I got out of it. I know the local hospital here still pays a base hourly wage and a line rate/incentive on top of that, which equates to a very fair wage. Those MTs never quit and the jobs go fast if they retire, etc. I used to average 30/hour based on a very nice per line rate. I didn't even have to work 40 hours to come out making twice as much 4 years ago as I do now. Well, back to work for me. Have a good day.

Thank you for posting this. - NM

[ In Reply To ..]
x

Do you know what is sickening about the MT responses? - Whatever

[ In Reply To ..]
There was quote after quote of these women who had been in the industry for a long time who were "thankful" to be getting minimum wage. They are what is wrong and why this has turned into a job comparable to working at 7-11. No, it is NOT OKAY that I make less than 50% of what I did 10 years ago. Good grief. This is why I am getting out of MT altogether. I'm on track in the R.N. program and I'm so glad that Human Anatomy-101 hurts sooooo bad. Because it is better than this APPALLING and cowardly response. No man would ever say that. I don't think women should either.

I agree. No man would accept what women have been trained to - accept. And MTSo counts on this. nm

[ In Reply To ..]
s

Nope. Greedy business owners are what is wrong. sm - greedsux

[ In Reply To ..]
In fact, all the greedy business people are what is wrong. They aren't satisfied with living comfortably...they desire to be mega-rich. Not just in MT, but in most businesses these days. Greed. No concern for all the people they are bankrupting. Just Greed and more Greed.

We actually had a business owner in a nearby town who comes out and states this himself. So, what does he do? Does he practice what he preaches? He shares his profits with his employees. He says he is quite comfortable. He has a conscious. Makes him happy and makes his people the most loyal work force in the state. He does this every year.

Women willing to accept minimum wage are not the problem. MTSOs would just go offshore if nobody would work for them.

great article.. - but will they listen...nope

[ In Reply To ..]
Its all about greed, as previously stated in the replies. It is a great article, however, when they state what we can do about our wages....how many of us have gone to HR and higher up than that and voiced our opinions about our wages or lost a job b/c of things being shifted over to India and could only find a job making what we were making years ago, instead of being compensated for our experience in the field. If it happens anymore, compensation for experience, I would like to know where. I was promised a sign on when I came back to Nuance, as well as after my 90 days I would get a pay increase, now nearly 2 years later with them I am making the same as what I was making (line rate) 5 years ago when I last worked with them...only my paycheck itself has dropped. I never received a sign on bonus and the excuse for that was just that, an excuse. I didn't work all of my required shift and I couldn't, I had no work and there was not enough work to make up my work on other shifts. I want out of all this VR and I am having a problem finding a job that doesn't have anything to do with VR at all. I made more money working straight type than VR. To me, VR is more involved and should not be paid half of what straight type is paid. I have expressed that numerous of times. I have also expressed that b/c I am constantly placed on the H accounts "b/c you can do the work" I should be paid more than those working on the easier accounts w/ little to no ESLs...I was ignored. To be in this position for well over a decade, now making less than ever before, it is a shame. I love my job, the pay just stinks. On my account, I am lucky if I am averaging 10.00 an hour, where I used to average 20+ an hour. It is all about money, hospitals outsource to MTSOs to save money, the MTSO then outsources to India or other countries to further save money and this leaves the highly skilled US based MTs (that are needed mind you) barely scrapping the surface in pay. Unfair is hardly the word for it!!!

Similar Messages:

Great "For The Record" Article Regarding Credentialing
Apr 08, 2011

http://viewer.zmags.com/publication/615073e3#/615073e3/10 ...

Great Line Counts Require Great Dictators.
Feb 11, 2015

I'm always over 200 until I get Mr. Mumblemouth who knows he is not forming actual words when he hums through the PE, as my counts plummet to as loiw as 75 LPH.   Then I get a long report from an excellent fast-talking dictator and my LPH jumps to 340.   Question:  Why is it that the MTSO does not comprehend the fact that our production depends on the capability of the provider to dictate correctly?   The horrid dictators are never told they are doing anything wrong as ...

Great Transcription Job - Great Pay -
Dec 20, 2011

I worked for LabCorp for 7 years - started at $14/hr - left 7 yrs later at $19.86/hour -- company has own credit card for employees -  called a Clear Card - available to ALL employees - Regular working hours. EASY transcription!!!  Could do it in my sleep!  Benefits.  Had a lot of overtime if you wanted it - ($28 an hour when I left - at time and a half).  I would recommend LabCorp to EVERYONE!  They also have data entry if interested.  lower pay, though.& ...

This Article Just Says It All.
Oct 09, 2012

Whole WSJ Article
Mar 08, 2014

A medical services company owned by a J.P. Morgan Chase JPM +0.85% & Co. private-equity arm is preparing to file for bankruptcy protection in the next two weeks as it struggles under a hefty debt load and declining sales, people familiar with the matter said.M*Modal is in discussions with its creditors on a prearranged restructuring plan that would streamline its trip through bankruptcy court, these people said. The bankruptcy negotiations come about 18 months after One Equity Partners took ...

MedicalScribes - An Article About Them
Sep 07, 2010

This is an interesting article about using medical scribes to do transcription.  It is a way for doctors to create electronic medical records and not have to enter information into computers themselves. http://articles.latimes.com/2010/sep/06/health/la-he-medical-scribes-20100906 ...

Interesting Article On VBC...
Jun 14, 2011

http://health-information.advanceweb.com/Article/VBC-Compensation-for-MTs.aspx Read the comments too.  The second one is on point! ...

Article About Nuance
Feb 19, 2011

I don't work for Nuance or the other 3 MTSOs listed, but I found this article clear and with devastating details about the exact cost of what happens to the local economy when employers opt to switch to the offshoring companies: http://www.abc4.com/content/news/slc/story/University-of-Utah-Hospital-sending-local-jobs/ApYQbQl0d0OqwCx2vzmjlQ.cspx or search "University of Utah Hospital sending local jobs overseas" "Hundreds of people just like Rachelle are losing their jobs at medical tra ...

Article About MT Credentialing
Apr 09, 2011

I just brought in my mail and there was the March 28 issue of "For the Record", a magazine that was part of my AHDI membership benefits. I don't know why they're still sending it to me because my AHDI membership ran out, but I the cover story of this issue is "The MT Credentialing Debate: What do Medical Transcriptionists Gain by Adding RMT or CMT to Their Resumes?" I haven't started reading it yet, but it should be interesting! ...

Recent Article About MQ
Aug 01, 2011

http://ahdilounge.blogspot.com/2011/08/medquists-new-ceo-re-branding-on.html   They seem pretty happy about having 28 sites in India and want to keep offshoring more of their work.  I really wonder how many Americans, if properly educated about the whole thing, would really want their medical history sent overseas.  I know clinics/hospitals don't care.  They are using MQ and other services that offshore because they want to save a buck on services.  Yeah I know, s ...

Interesting Article...
Aug 07, 2011

This just basically proves that it still takes a human to do what a computer can't do...     ...

A Link To An Article
Mar 14, 2012

http://mttoolsonline.com/2011/01/25/medical-transcription-a-salary-perspective-over-11-years/ Article about MTs salaries compared to other jobs in the HIM department.  If you don't want to click on the link, google the following:  Medical Transcription A Salary Perspective over 11 years. ...

Good Article: ST Vs. SR
Jun 16, 2012

MTs Need to Get Off Inaccurate Pay Scale http://www.fortherecordmag.com/archives/050712p29.shtml#.T7hYiI60y30.facebook ...

Another Interesting Article...sm
Jul 12, 2012

found this interesting and encouraging... ...

Medigrafix Article
Aug 22, 2012

http://www.wowt.com/factfinders/headlines/Medical-Workers-Not-Being-Paid-166705406.html?mobile=yes ...

For The Record Article About MT Pay
Sep 11, 2012

http://www.fortherecordmag.com/archives/091012p22.shtml   ...

Interesting Article Re EMR
Sep 22, 2012

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/22/business/medicare-billing-rises-at-hospitals-with-electronic-records.html?smid=pl-share Please read!   ...

Here's A Article About Compensation
Mar 11, 2013

Here’s an article by For the Record magazine that is worth reading. Sometimes, their articles are a lot of fluff, AHDI stressing we need them, or words just filling a page, but this one affirms what we have all known for a very long time.   http://www.fortherecordmag.com/archives/091012p22.shtml Interesting what is written about the Transcend lawsuit too. What can we do? At the end of the article, it mentions “MTs need to work with their employers to develop a fair compensat ...

M*Modal WSJ Article
Mar 08, 2014

A medical services company owned by a J.P. Morgan Chase JPM +0.85% & Co. private-equity arm is preparing to file for bankruptcy protection in the next two weeks as it struggles under a hefty debt load and declining sales, people familiar with the matter said. M*Modal is in discussions with its creditors on a prearranged restructuring plan that would streamline its trip through bankruptcy court, these people said. The bankruptcy negotiations come about 18 months after One ...

Must Read Article
Apr 10, 2014

I had to share this with each and every transcriptionist out there.  It is always darkest before the dawn.          ...

A Must-read Article!
Mar 25, 2015

Just saw this article posted in Nuance board.  MTs need to stop working for companies who do not value them!!!  We all know what companies this article and I are talking about! ...

Must Read Article On EHR
May 07, 2015

. ...

Check Out This Article
Jun 04, 2015

Reminded me of our business, except worse!  How humiliating for them. http://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/04/us/last-task-after-layoff-at-disney-train-foreign-replacements.html?_r=0 ...

Oh Just Great! NOT No OT Pay For Me.
Mar 03, 2011

I was just informed that, even though I worked OT in my time zone (PST) and before my shift (second shift), their day is in CST, so anything after their midnight (CST) goes to the next day - that days and hours count in CST. Geez, maybe I should be working my shift in CST hours. That could be nice. I would get to start 2 hours earlier and stop at a more decent hour. This stinks like week-old fish, and I'm thinking the Calif EED might look at it a different way! ...

Great Fun Looking For A New FT Job
Oct 30, 2011

because when I find a line rate that is deplorable, I will email them back a scolding message how they should be ashamed of themselves and I would have applied to them but for that. Imagine if we all did that even when not looking for a job. ...

ISN'T V.R. GREAT!!??!!
Sep 01, 2012

I edit radiology V.R. Reports and Had to post this one..This just goes to show you how well V.R. really works. It printed: Patient motion of skiers detail with multiple scans repeated multiple times to little of L. He said: Patient motion OBSCURES detail with multiple scans repeated multiple times to little AVAIL. Thank God this doctor knows he needs an editor. Most hospitals are letting the doctors "edit" their own work (which they don't do and just sign the stuff and let it go thru b ...

Great...NJA Now But, Hey!
Apr 17, 2013

cause we are fighting for scraps of work.  I bet whoever's idea that was got a big ol' bonus ...

Great TAT!
May 31, 2013

Wow got an email about how great our TAT is.  Care to wonder why?  I get 1 report, finish that, and then spend the next 5 to 10 minutes pushing that freaking button hoping I get the next job before somebody else does, all the while our TL says how wonderful we all are to keep up that TAT and make her look good.  Yeah she gets the bonus and I go on food stamps, what a wonderful company this is!  ...

Ah, This Would Be Great!
Jul 05, 2013

Just imagine if some of these terrible dictators had to go in and edit to fix their botched up VR reports for a while.  I'm sure it would not take very long before they cleaned up that messy dictation.  :) ...

Another Great Tip
Jul 30, 2013

If you are not sure leave a QA marker....but don't be not sure too many times or we will dock your pay! ...