A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Several of us had interviews today or recently...How did you do? Here's my experience... - MTJ

Posted: May 30, 2013

I had an overall positive experience; however, I wish I'd said a couple things more smoothly and thought of a couple more questions to ask (I did ask a few).  Still, for my first interview in years, I think it went well, and I sold myself pretty strongly, too.  I thought I'd share the main questions that came up and how I attempted to handle them: 

Questions I got were (these aren't in order):

Why do you think you'll be a fit?  (I said I was "uniquely qualified" because I had both a strong medical background (as a medical transcriptionist) and also proficient computer skills (not in those exact words, but similar).  The company had stressed both areas in their ad.

What do you know, or is your understanding, about this position?  (Basically, I described what I'd read in their ad and website.)

How knowledgeable are you working with computers?  (This is my other strong suit, and I told I am computer savvy and provided examples of why I think this.)

Tell me about yourself.  (This is where I shined as I had practiced, but not memorized what to say.  I kept my answer fairly brief, but I started with my schooling, emphasized my gpa and course work, then moved into relevant work history, included a brief example of what I did as a team player on previous jobs, and even added in my volunteer work as it is related.  The interviewer seemed very, very happy.)

Anyway, I don't know if I'll get the job, but it was a good experience and next time I don't think I'll be quite so nervous!  I have to say that I'm over the moon hopeful and excited to possibly land this, but also to get out into the world again.  I never realized how very worn down I was feeling until the prospect of moving into something else presented itself... 

You will always - Second guess yourself

[ In Reply To ..]
I was suprised at how "out of the interview" loop I was. I had been an MT for 15 years before quitting in December. Prior to that, I did mostly secretarial work and was proficient at interviews and almost always got the position I was seeking.

If you don't get the job, don't second guess yourself. There are always woulda, coulda, shoulda's out there!

Sounds like you shined!

I hate interviews - dont want to do anymore

[ In Reply To ..]
after the last one, which I bombed, I swore I would not do anymore. These were for non-MT jobs.

Once read to try to consider a poor interview - as a positive experience. sm

[ In Reply To ..]
The more interviews you go on, the more confident and savvy you get at them. The fear of the unknown starts to dissipate. Obviously it is no fun getting rejected, but I applaud you for having the courage to go out and try in the first place. I do hope you try again. Hey, if anything, it gets you out of the house, right?

How do you know - You bombed?

[ In Reply To ..]
How do you know you bombed? If you didn't get the job, it doesn't mean you bombed. It could mean any number of things, having nothing to do with your interview. Don't give up on that, please.

We must keep in mind that there are different interview styles by managers. Some are VERY formal, and those are actually the hardest interviews. I "bombed" one of those and decided not to feel bad. It was almost as if they were expecting cookie-cutter answers.

My best interviewer (and I got the job) was someone who basically just chatted! I loved it. In retrospect (a week later), I realized that he got everything he needed out of me without asking specific questions. Example: He said, "Gosh, I take my children out for pancakes, and it can be embarrassing because they start acting up." I just casually responded "Heck, I'm sure the pancake house is used to that, kids are kids and that's their job." I realized after the fact that he was trying to see how I feel about small children, as this job would require having small children having x-rays and things. He didn't ask "So, do you like children?"

My point is, part of getting the job is the interviewers style,too.

It could also be they decided to hire within. It could be (unfortunately) they had to play the race card, as we call it. Someone not as qualified, but they're a certain race so they have to hire them. The list can go on and on, but we humans tend to blame ourselves.

Anyway, don't give up. Keep at it.

One of those YouTube videos made an excellent point: - MTJ

[ In Reply To ..]
There are no bad candidates, only the wrong "fit" for a job. Plus, in my opinion, it's sometimes probably just miscommunication, and the person might have been great.

Please don't give up or be so hard on yourself! It's tough, but I think with practice/experience, the interviewing process can be less daunting.

Mine went well. It was not as formal an - interview as I had

[ In Reply To ..]
expected. I did come prepared in a suit with a tailor-made resume. The manager did hit me with the "tell me about yourself," and thanks to the links posted below, I knew how to answer. She asked me how much money I wanted/hour and she didn't flinch. She is going to call me tomorrow and see about getting me in to meet the doctor (her husband).

Wow! Sounds like you've got the job! - MTJ

[ In Reply To ..]
That's fantastic! The tips are helping me, too. I'm incredibly nervous and somewhat shy, so it's very tough to interview. I almost backed out twice, but then I got my courage up and just went for it. I think going over the possible tough questions ahead of time really helps.

Good for you! - That took courage

[ In Reply To ..]
All People-

Mind you that many of these job people who are interviewing you are not necessarily looking for the technical qualifications! They are trying to get a feel for how you would fit in with their client force and their work force. Often, the technical part of the training is the least of their worries.

This is the best time to just be yourself! Let yourself shine.
Let your personality - Show
[ In Reply To ..]
I think sometimes we get too stiff on interviews. Show a little bit of your personality, whatever the strong point is: Sense of humor, easy-going nature; compassion. Just don't ham it up too much.

Guys! I woke up to a JOB OFFER!!!! - MTJ

[ In Reply To ..]
I really think that practicing my answers to some of the tougher, frequently asked interview questions really helped!

I now have to do my paperwork and get shot records, TB skin test, etc., before starting, but I'm on Cloud 9!!!!!

Congrats! nm - Fist bump.

[ In Reply To ..]
: )

great! - what is the job?

[ In Reply To ..]
very happy for you.

Yay you!! Best of luck to you! You will - do great!

[ In Reply To ..]
I got a call back for a second interview on Monday but have lost my nerve. Worrying about juggling child care and other things. If they offer me the job, I will take it, but I have cold feet right now. I will see how the second interview goes.

Similar Messages:

Anyone Else Experience This Recently?
Aug 31, 2012

For the past month, I've applied for an MT position with almost every MTSO who posts a job.  I've tested with all of them, and I don't get a call back. This is a new thing for me.  I've been in the industry over 20 years, have done every specialty plus QA. In the past when I've looked for a job I've found one in only one day.  What's up? ...

Is InScribe LLC, Kentucky Changing; Anyone Recently Apply Or Been Hired Who Has Years Of Experience;
May 11, 2011

Okay, I know InScribe LLC (Kentucky) has been on the Boards multiple times (at least monthly, if not weekly, it seems), but I just noticed they have a “Premium” ad at the top of the Job Seeker’s Board.  I guess these “Featured Listings” are not free, as the other listings are.  If I remember correctly, most of the posts on the Boards have been by Newbies, because InScribe evidently is one of the few MTSOs that hire new graduates.  However, it appear ...

I Did Not Get Paid Today... Any Experience With This
Mar 23, 2012

I have worked here since the 28th of Feb and expected to be paid today.  No check in the mail.  I am really worried that I won't get paid.  I tried to sign into ultipro and it said no account made for me.  Does this mean I am not in payroll? Also, it says in the employee handbook it takes up to 2 pay cycles for direct deposit to take effect.  If the next pay is the 6th and I still get a paper check I may be evicted by the time it gets here.  I am extremely co ...

Two New Ads For MLS With 1 Year Experience Today
Jan 12, 2015

proving to be very exciting. Two ads 3 min apart. Goooo Nuance!! ...

Do They Actually Do Exit Interviews?
Apr 07, 2015

I was reading in the employee handbook where it says that like to do exit interviews when an employee voluntarily terminates employment. Do they actually do that? ...

AcuTrans - Railroad Interviews
Aug 02, 2012

Did anyone else test for AcuTrans recently?   ...

Why Bother With Exit Interviews
Dec 06, 2013

when all they have to do is read this board to find out why MTs are leaving?  Not that I expect any logical actions from them but since they are paying an outside company to do the interviews, this is an added expense.   ...

Two Great Interviews With Accentus STARTeam. Waiting, Waiting, Waiting...
May 10, 2012

I applied, tested for and passed for the Accentus STARTeam position.  I received a call from HR for the first interview and went on to a second interview with who would be my transcrition manager within hours of the first interview.  I was on the phone with her for over an hour.  She was very excited about my experience and told me I would be a great fit.  It was very clear that she thought I would be a valuable addition to her team and the interview went very, very well. &nb ...

New Graduate - Experience In Transcription Is Experience
Nov 11, 2009

I am a new graduate and need to find a job! I am also new to this site. I got the site info from a friend that has been doing transcription work for many years. She has given me some leads, but as of now, nothing! It appears that most of these companies wnat 2 or more years experience. Does anyone know how I can start and get some experience? I suppose in anything and not just medical. Experience in transcription is experience, right? ...

Are Timesheets Approved Today? Nothing From TSM On Monday Or Today. NM
Jan 01, 2014

xx ...

Email Working Today? Silent Today.
Feb 25, 2015

By this time in the day, usually, there has been at least 7 emails - several from QA, at least 2-3 backlog updates, and 1 reminder to work our shift and work our entire shift. ...

For All The MTs Who Have Recently Been Let Go, Can You
Nov 05, 2012

please post how much you got paid per line.  I think that really is why you all were let go because you made too much per line.  We can narrow it down to that if you would all post how much you made.  Thanks ...

Recently!
May 25, 2013

raise! Hopefully it's across the board! ...

NJA Recently?
Apr 11, 2014

Just wondering how the NJA problem is since 60 of us have moved on.  We've had 2 new ILP accounts to QA (which are horrible) and 1 group hospitals that have come back from ILP land, but only recieved a small handful of MTs to compensate.  My BOB has been swamped for the past week with late jobs every night.  My TSM says that her manager said that there isn't anybody who can help out.  I was just wondering if he/she is just too lazy to actually look.  I know the ...

Recently Finished
Apr 29, 2011

I just recently finished my MT course through At-Home Professions and Im just waiting to hear back on my final. I feel that I have done well as far as the terminology and looking things up but Im still not comfortable with my punctuation. Does anyone have any advice? ...

To Those Who Have Recently Been Bought By MQ And Still
Dec 07, 2011

working on your accounts from your bought-out company, are you consistently running out of work? We were told things would not change for a while but I'm running out of work all the time.  I tried to apply for SUI this morning online but with this particular situation, I could not answer some questions to complete application so  I have to go down there, which I am getting ready to do.  I don't want to quit but this is getting extremely frustrating punching in and n ...

For Those Who Have Left Recently, Did You Get Your PTO
Nov 16, 2012

I am giving the 2 weeks' notice but I'm curious when they payout the PTO.  TIA! ...

Patient First Recently
Nov 19, 2013

Hi. I was contacted recently by PF, tested again in person, set up for training (which was later rescheduled but is apparently still on), and told I have the job, but so far I have been utterly unable to get anything like an actual offer letter or anything STATING the terms of employment, like pay, PTO, basic benefit info, etc. (and I have asked and asked). Is this normal for them or a recent development? Everything they have TOLD me in person and on the phone has been just what the PF employees ...

Anybody Who Quit Recently, Can You Tell Me
Mar 26, 2014

Just planning ahead.  Thanks. ...

Imedx - Has Anyone Been QA'd Recently
Dec 18, 2014

I am curious, has anyone from Imedx been QA's recently. Can you briefly share me your story and how it went. Thanks a lot! ...

If You've Recently Quit
Dec 30, 2014

Volumes have skyrocketed in the accounts on my team, and while my manager is spewing off that it's just abnormally high volumes, I think it's because people have jumped ship. I was wondering if those of you who quit and still visit this board could comment with your ex-TSM's initials.   ...

MD-IT After Applying And Testing With Them Recently?
Aug 10, 2010

Curious if anyone has heard back from MD-IT after applying and testing with them recently?  TIA. ...

Recently Applied For A Job With Keystrokes
Jun 23, 2011

I have recently applied for a job with Keystrokes. Does anyone have information regarding this company?  If so, please share with me as I am looking something part time and one of my specialties is Otolaryngology. Thanks for any info you may have! ...

Has Anyone Taken The CMT Exam Recently? 
Sep 20, 2010

Has anyone taken the CMT exam recently?  I'm taking a prep course through AHDI and wonder how similar it is to the actual exam.  I'm planning to take it in October & a little nervous after going through the prep.  I have 6 years acute care exp. & am disappointed in myself at my progress so far on the prep course. Getting kind of nervous.  Don't want to throw $400 out the window on this!  Any advice, warnings, etc.? ...

Recently Started On ChartNet
Sep 26, 2010

I have recently started on ChartNet.  I read reviews, which are mostly positive, and my question is why? I find it cumbersome with all the headings you have to make with the control/shift keys and entering, starting new headers, etc.  Not very fluid at all (for me anyway).  Does anyone have advice/tips on how to make this more user-friendly?  Plus I lose reports and have no idea where they go or how to get them back, so I am losing line count as well.  I was happy to read all those positive ...

Transcend-Seems To Be A Lot Of Negative Out There Recently. So Tell Me.....
Jun 19, 2011

Is there anyone out there that does like their job with Transcend and can you tell me why? i.e. flexibility, good account, decent money/benefits etc. Thanks. ...

Has Transcend Become A Better Company Recently?
Mar 02, 2011

I am trying to narrow down some companies to work for and have a job offer on the table from Transcend.  Some of the posts on here and on glassdoor are negative, but are from early 2010 or older.  Has anyone had more recent experience with them?  Fear I'll be jumping out of the pan and into the fire. ...

Anyone Else Recently Start Working For
Nov 10, 2011

Accentus?  WOW!!  That is all I can say.  The platform is so horribly slow and bulky it is pathetic.  The sound files are lousy on top of the foot pedal (or even hitting F8) not "working" when you hit it.  This was the biggest waste of time!!! ...

Anyone In The South Recently Had Their Threshold
Jan 13, 2012

Just wondered how it was working for you? Our CCM said it would not affect production.  I seem to be having to wait between jobs for the next one to load, which will ultimately affect production.  Is anyone else having this problem? ...

Recently Given A 2011 PDR, Keep/sell??
Feb 28, 2012

The doc I work for gave me his 2011 Physicians Desk Reference.  Is that something that would be good refereance material for an MT??? ...