A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Question on current price/line and more. - MontanaGal

Posted: Oct 11, 2010

My current account (hospital ER) is switching to a different system where I will connect via the internet and type live into their system. We have been on the PC Anywhere system for years. I have been charging .12/line gross line count. The new system will count 65 characters/line. I think I will need to charge more to keep my pay equal. With this account, I cover stats Mon through Fri with no extra charge. I have 12 years experience and re-read and verify to make everything as perfect as humanly possible.

To continue my current quality and service, I think I'm going to have to charge .16/line with the 65 character line count. Is that way out of line? I would rather one fee and not charge extra for the stats and faxes, etc.

I appreciate any input.

My two cents - oaf

[ In Reply To ..]
Be sure to clarify if the 65 cpl count is with or without spaces, etc. When you switch to character from gross it makes a HUGE difference. Do they realize you will have to change your rates? I would just take a document and figure it out divided by 65 (with or without spaces depending on what they want) and see how much you would need to charge to continue your current income. I wish you luck! I know when I had to make the change I lost money - but I was an employee and not an IC at the time.

You will have to totally renegiotiate your contract - see message

[ In Reply To ..]
regarding line count, cpl, etc. Like the other poster said, do a comparison of gross line versus 65 char with spaces and 65 char without spaces. Need to determine exactly how the lines are counted with the new system and go from there.

Good luck on that.... just lost an account - sm - ITKMT

[ In Reply To ..]
to India, was charging .12 cpl/65 chac/line, immaculate work, great TAT, still lost it (and typed live in their system as well...now a bunch of people in india have total access to this hospital). You will not hold onto if you raise your price. I would just bit the bullet and stay at .12 and make the slightly less amount. Not too many get gross lines anymore, count yourself lucky for having had that at all.

I have to agree with ITKMT - sm - michelle

[ In Reply To ..]
I have been in this business for 13 years and actually run my own service (incorporated last year). I have about 10 clinics (totaling about 40 doctors) and charge most of my clients 11-12 cpl - 55 characters with spaces. No extra charges for stats (and we do A LOT of them), faxes, etc. just like you. I have had most of my clients for several years and if I went to one of them and told them that I was going to up my rate by 4 cpl, they would most likely dump me like a hot potato! I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but with most clinics and doctors trying to cut costs every way feasibly possible, I'm afraid if you try to up your rate to that amount, you might not have the outcome you want. There are so many options these days, they will try just about anything to save a dollar! And amazingly enough, somehow, the MT seems to be the first thing they decide they can change...I DO NOT understand this! However, depending on your relationship with your client, you might have better luck than I. In years past, I have charged by the gross line, but had to stop that about two years ago and go to character line counts. To help with the decrease in lines that occurred, I started using Abacus to help me count. It helps a little bit when doing character counts because you can add parameters to count due to formatting and other document properties. You might want to check out a good line counting software if that is something you can integrate in with the new system. Good luck in whatever you decide to do! In this day and age of outsourcing to foreign countries, I can't stand to hear of "one of us" losing an account to them...so I hope everything works out for you!!!

You might find this helpful... - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
It looks to me like, mathematically, at least, you'd have to charge 17+ cents per 65-character line to actually equal 12 cpl gross. I'd think it would be helpful to run some of your documents through a counter like Word's Word Count for a double-check, though.

see link below

Jeeze I am with the wrong company for sure. - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
get 10 cpl and 60% of that for SR for the hardest, crappiest work that India won't touch. Take your 12 cpl and dance to the bank.

cents per line - jane

[ In Reply To ..]
iagree, 12 cents per line is good. the way things are going those of us who have work should be careful of making demands for more.....

Similar Messages:

Does Anyone Know What The Current Line Rate For ASR Is Now
Apr 01, 2010

Last I heard it was 3.5 cpl.  Do they offer shift incentives?  Thx. ...

Can Someone Tell Me Current Line Rate For Nuance??
Nov 22, 2012

Just wondering what the current cpl for editing and transcribing is for Nuance.  I know what I make with Transcend and would like to keep it that way.  Hubby is out of work and I cannot afford a pay cut of any kind.  Peanut butter and jelly - it's what's for dinner!!!! :( ...

Kept Current Line Rate, Luckily, Sm
Dec 17, 2014

but I paid them $11 from the privledge of working in Intregra this week.  Mind you, I only work PT and I didn't get a full week in as I was sick one day, so next week, I'll pay them more to work on that "productive" platform.  My husband told me to tell them to F off and quit.  I think he has the right idea.  ...

Help Me Price This Please?
Feb 09, 2012

How much would you charge per line (or hour) for a 4 doc family practice office?  I don't have the first clue but have just been given this opportunity after working at a national for 7 cpl straight typing.  ...

What Price Experience?
Oct 11, 2009

I've been working doing transcription full time for a small privately owned company for over a year.  I am nearly done with my certification and lucked into this job through a friend.  I am also a Medical Assitant and work full time at another job (nonmedical...I relocated and have been unable to find a job in my field).  As I am learning on-the-job, I have been given a Neurologist, Urologist, Pain Management and Orthopedic Surgeon as my full time doctors.  I don't ...

Price To Charge
May 04, 2013

What would you charge for a private account if you had to use a printer and had to pick up and deliver the work? ...

Just How Much Work To Ya Think MM Gets Done For 1/2 Price By
Sep 13, 2014

s ...

Whats A Fair Price
Jan 20, 2010

Hi all, Quick question. I live in washington state and I just graduated from my MT course and had a doc call me to let me know that he wanted me to do transcription for him and my question is what is a fair price to be charging, all I ever hear is what is unfair. Thanks, Dude Mom ...

MTSO Getting Full Price And Paying 4 To MT
Jan 05, 2010

I just got a solicitation that an MTSO in Florida is for sale. It gives a breakdown of their accounts (not by name)showing how much they are charging the provider and how much they are paying the MT. For VR, they are getting 11 to 11.5 cpl and only paying the MT 4 cpl. FYI ...

Is Instant Text Worth The Price
Mar 03, 2010

I am thinking of investing into an expander program but wondering if Instant Text is worth the price.  If it is I have no problem spending the money but how comparable are others out there?  I can't find enough info online to satisfy me for which way to turn.  Thanks!   Tami ...

MT Line Became A 65-character Line Instead Of A Gross Line?
Feb 21, 2015

Does anyone remember when, and why, an MT line became a 65-character line instead of a gross line? And what company was responsible for this, if any? ...

Is There A Difference Between A Sylvan 65 Character Line And Using The Line Count In Word - Sm
Jun 15, 2012

to divide by 65 to get the number of lines??? Thanks. ...

Okay, If You Were Making .04/line With VR But Offered 08/line With Transcription . . . Unlimited Amt
Apr 22, 2010

I do have some benefits with the VR job, but not good enough to even take them on right now.  After 3 months I will start accruing PTO up to 12 days a year.  Is it worth it?  I was thinking having benefits would be really nice for once in the last 16 years, but now I am thinking it may not be worth the struggle to make a living on VR.  They said the platform for transcription is chartnet or chartscript?  What do you all think? ...

LINE RATES - A Company That Offers 7.6 Cpl On A 50 Character Line
Nov 14, 2010

I am starting with a company that offers 7.6 cpl on a 50 character line.  Is this good and what does it equal money wise on a 65 character line rate?   Thanks in advance. ...

VR Line Count - What Kind Of Line Production Should I Shoot For
Mar 24, 2011

I was just hired on with a company to do strictly VR. I am only going to be working part time so about 4 hours a day. I am wondering from those who do VR what kind of line production should I shoot for in 4 hours of work? What is the normal VR line count for part time? I have read that most who are working full time or 8 hours a day are doing more than 1,000, even 2,000 a day. The company I will be working for wants a minimum of 10,000 lines in a payperiod which the lady said even with part time ...

Gross Line Versus 65 Character Line
Aug 19, 2010

Anyone know if 5 cents per gross line is good or not? Better than 10 cents a 65 character line??   A company is offering this to me & says that at least 1/2 of every report is templated but you still get paid for it.  I make 10 cents a 65 character line with the company I work for at this time.  Please advise so I can make a decision to test or not with them.  ...

Line Counting Software - 65 Characters Per Line
Sep 29, 2010

I need help with a software line counting program.  Excel is acceptable, but I am not sure how to use that aspect.  Any help would be appreciated.  This is for 65 characters per line with no spaces.  Can't that be done in Microsoft Word as well? ...

Line Rate For 65 Printable Character Line
Jul 19, 2011

When a company states a line rate for  a "65 printable character line" does that mean they do not pay for spaces?    I saw an ad saying they pay the highest in the business, which was about 8.5 cents for 65 printable character line.  That to me says without spaces, as it is not a printable character, so that would be a horrible rate surely not one of the best in the business.  Wonder why there is no respect for our thumbs !!!!   ...

IT And Line Counts Vs Other Line Count Programs
Oct 24, 2011

I would like opinions about the IT (Instant Text) line count program? Do you find it user friendly? Are there other programs preferred/easier? Any suggestions or opinions? TIA. ...

MTSOs - Why Anyone Would Do VR For 0.03 Per Line Or Straight Transcription For 0.07 Per Line
Mar 13, 2012

It's beyond me why anyone would do VR for 0.03 per line or straight transcription for 0.07 per line, even 0.08 stinks.  Are we all that desperate to let these companies get away with not paying a living wage?  It's outrageous.  As long as MTs send their resumes to these companies and apply for these positions, the longer it will take to bring us back to the pay level we deserve.   At this point, i'd rather starve then sell my soul to the devil. ...

Line Counts - An Accurate Line Counter?
Aug 14, 2012

I was wondering if someone could point me in the direction of an accurate line counter. I currently use Word, but am not sure if it's accurate.  ...

Current TTD MTs
Oct 21, 2011

Would like to hear from current MTs their opinion and any info you would care to share about TTD.   Thanks. ...

Current Cpl
Apr 15, 2013

What is the current cpl rate that companies should be paying?  ...

I'm A Current MM MT And Would Like To Become MME.
Jan 10, 2015

I can't find any info anymore. Are there still MMEs and are they still testing for this position? Thanks! ...

Any Current Information On TTS
Jan 17, 2010

Would appreciate any current information on TTS, particular related to IC status.  Thanks much. ...

Current Information On TTS
Feb 01, 2010

Thinking of applying and just wondering about pay, platform, accounts etc. Any information would be good. I just want to make sure it is a good place to work.  From the archives, it looks like it is pretty mixed.  People either love it or hated it due to the strict scheduling.  Is the schedule still strict for ICs? Thanks in advance for your information. ...

What Is The Current MQ Atmosphere Like?
Feb 14, 2010

I keep getting recruitment emails, but I am leary from all the bad press I have seen in the past.  I really need a job and wonder if I should reconsider.  Any thoughts?  How is the pay? Do they hire PT?  Need the scoop. ...

Current Information On MD-IT?
Mar 07, 2010

Does anyone have any current information on MD-IT?   I searched the boards and the archives and found nothing.  If anyone could share any information at all, I would appreciate it, thanks. ...

Looking For Current Information On TTS Please (sm)
Jan 05, 2011

Have read the archives but most of it is from 2009 and older, a few posts in 2010 but really hoping to find out more current information.  They are offering IC status but then list the shifts that they expect you to work???  How is the pay, platform, volume of work, managers, communication, you name it, I would like to know it.  :)   TIA ...

Current CMT's - Is It Worth It?
Jan 08, 2011

If I take the CMT test the goal is to increase my income from my current earnings as a full time MT/ME.  But is it worth the $$ and time required to prepare for and take the CMT test?  I am confident that I would have no problem passing the test after adequate review, etc. So is it worth the effort?  Bottom line -- it will cost money to take the exam and it will cost money to either enroll in a review course or buy review materials to prepare for the exam. And the CMT credential ...