A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Did you ever change jobs and realize you made a mistake? - middleagemt

Posted: Apr 13, 2011

I recently left a company after four years because the grass seemed greener elsewhere, has anyone ever done this and then realized right away it was a huge mistake?  I feel guilty after the company has trained me and worked with me for almost two weeks but I am so miserable, any suggestions or advice of what to do?

Yes, been there & got the T-shirt. - s/msg

[ In Reply To ..]
I worked for many years in-house at a hospital. I wanted a change, wanted to move somewhere different, and the hospital had no at-home option. So I quit and joined a national MT company. Big, stupid, HUGE, GIGANTIC mistake! In the hospital, I used to bring home about $1250 per pay period after taxes. Now that paycheck has shrunk to around $500.

I did the same thing with a national MT company - lka

[ In Reply To ..]
but I came crawling back to the company I left, as at least there I had better pay and benefits, albeit boring just typing clinic notes for family medicine.

If you have a good relationship with the employer you left, I would approach them and see about getting your job back. Luckily for me, the person they hired to replace me had so many personal problems and was hardly there (this was after 6 weeks) and I got the job back. I originally left it because not much for pay increases and when I went back still did not get a pay increase, but at least I knew I could do the work and be in that "safe" mode financially.

Same here, left a cushy in-house position - to be home with my

[ In Reply To ..]
daughter. Worst career move I could have made. Lousy benefits, pay down 50%. Sure wish I would have stayed and just gotten day care on the school breaks.

Oh yeah...sm - Rainy

[ In Reply To ..]
Left an MTSO after 10+ years, then lasted less than 4 months at the new place, and 3 of those months I was looking for a new employer. You have been at this new place for only 2 weeks. Could it be just the newness of this job is making you miserable? Change can be hard. Historically, I always wanted to quit a new job within 2 weeks, always tried to give it a month, and usually ended up staying years. Sorry you are feeling this way. Good luck to you.

Don't think so - middleagemt

[ In Reply To ..]
I don't think it is the newness, just have been frustrated by being hired and lack of work. I have flexed almost every day, cannot work on getting my production up or getting real familiar with account specifics, in 2 weeks I have been training on 6 different accounts, but never manage to stay on any more than a few hours and then get moved again. When hired was promised a primary and a secondary, with plenty of work, now have 6 and of course all have different acct specifics. Just very frustrating and ready to leave. I really think after 25+ years it is time to get out of MT.

Ah, lack of work is different...sm - Rainy

[ In Reply To ..]
I am a single woman with a single income, so staying there would not be an option. Sure they spent time and money training you, but you are holding up your end of the bargain by trying to work by flexing (a pet peeve of mine) and taking on more accounts. BTW, I also have 25+ years experience and think it is time for a change from MTing. The hardest part is figuring out what I want to do. I really do hope things work out for you.

Yep, left a hospital job sm - Tiny

[ In Reply To ..]
to work for a smaller company. Big mistake!!!! If you know now you are going to be miserable see if you can get your old job back now. Yes, they spent time training you, but you are also on a probationary period and if they didn't think it was working out they would let you go, so you should have the same option don't you think?

I mean, are you going to stay somewhere where you are going to be miserable because you feel guilty? You only feel guilty because you obviously have a work ethic and I admire that, but, if it's that bad, you might want to reconsider.

Also, does it seem bad now because you are learning all new things? When I started my job 2 years ago I hated it. But, now 2 years later it does not seem overwhelming at all. There were many days when I thought there is no way I can keep doing this, but now I'm glad I stayed. So, really give it some thought.

Similar Messages:

I Made A Mistake
May 18, 2010

I just got called by "the boss" about a mistake I made yesterday.  I feel horrible.  I am glad they called.  It was a good heads up for me.  They down played it but still I am feeling upset.  I know it will pass but it's made for a tough morning.  Kinda shakes my confidence.  Thanks for listening. ...

I Made A Big Mistake
Nov 25, 2014

I'm trying to get my old job back. ...

I Made The Awesome Mistake Of.......sm
Dec 07, 2013

deciding to check FIESA this morning.... REALLY DUMB DECISION!  I have just about given up doing correction reversals, especially since ALL of my post-audit QA is done offshore.  And most definitely now because they must've just hired someone off the street over there to do my post audits.  Seriously, there is 1 offshore QA person in particular who will consistently go through my reports and delete text that I have either transcribed or edited (correctly I might add) and put& ...

While In Training, If You Found A Mistake Made By
Jan 10, 2012

QA when they were checking your work, would you tell your trainer; i.e., something was "corrected" on one of the reports I did; after looking again at the client profile, the way I had done it was the customer's preferred way.  TIA for opinions. ...

I Made A Mistake On This Board I Need To Correct
Sep 26, 2012

I said Nuance pays according to experience.  Obviously, that was wrong.  I lost track of the thread or else I would have said something earlier.  Apologies! ...

One Mistake Made Me Fail An Audit.
Jun 09, 2015

I admit I made a mistake.  I forgot to add a cc.  Never mind that all the other jobs that were audited were 100%.  I am only human but Mmodal does not care.  ...

Got A Reversal Only Because They Made A Mistake Listing Me As The Dictator
Feb 18, 2015

I can just see their smug red face conceding they made a mistake. Makes my day. Now back to my dictating! ...

Keystbrokes Paycut--I Believe A Change Was Made
Feb 15, 2011

I could have sworn I saw in the KS newsletter a few months ago that they purchased Hudson/Chartnet. I'd say that's a MAJOR change! ...

2 Jobs That Will Never Be Offshored...if You Want A Career Change
Jan 29, 2010

Makes sense to me; I'd opt to be an electrician (if I can't get on disability). Automotive technicians and mechanics repair and maintain automobiles and light trucks. Motorists need these services near their homes and businesses, meaning this hands-on work would be pretty hard for someone in another country to do. So rest easy. This job is staying close to home.  Training is a 6-month or 1-year automotive repair certificate program or a 2-year associate degree program.& ...

Trying To Change Jobs For The First Time... Need Advice!
Jan 19, 2011

I am in the process of trying to find a new job. I have been working at my current job for 4 months. This was my first job, so I am a little nervous when it comes to giving notice. I am worried that they might try to keep me because, as far as I can tell, they will have a significant overflow on my accounts if I do leave. I really like my job and accounts, but I do not have anywhere near enough work, and the schedule is not working for me anymore. I am worried about what they will do if I try to ...

I Need Help With Stupid Split Jobs. When Did It Change From Old Way? Sm
Apr 21, 2011

I can't believe I have not had a split job since new changes to DQS, but today I have a split job.  I did what I thought was the correct way and had cursor where it should be.  Asked for split, then yes, and oh my heavens.  I cannot get anything of the other original to pull up and NO ADT info will even load.  Sorry I had to break this, and I have sent a message to my QA Sup to help this very old dog.   Does anyone else get totally confused on how they changed ...

I Made A Total Of $19,000 For 2011. Would Anyone Mind Sharing What They Made For The Year. I Am Ju
Jan 27, 2012

hopeful ...

Ever Realize The First Day A Job Is Not For You?
Jun 01, 2010

Did you ever start a job and realize immediately that it is not the right one for you, that you will be miserable in it? Too many crazy account specifics. Too much bumbling around with the software to get to the actual typing. Too much crap. The thing is, I am so broke beyond belief. But this job is just awful. I am stuck between a rock and a hard place. My goodness, I am so sick of this profession. Sick of taking test after test with company after company and them never responding ba ...

Mistake I Came Across
Dec 29, 2012

It continues to amaze me some of the mistakes I come across. Fosamax is not prescribed for a 6-year-old child with kidney disease/kidney transplant, Phos-Nak is.  ...

You Do Realize That
Jun 02, 2013

Reports go through hospital/clinic QCs (not every report) and if they are not over 99% Nuance doesn't get paid.  ...

MQ Execs - When Will You Realize That You Have
Mar 08, 2010

The hardest thing for executives to do is to acknowledge the need to take a new direction. Study after study has shown the propensity of the people at the top to fiddle around the edges of failed initiatives trying to "fix" them - but, like Nero, they fiddle while Rome burns. To call Medquist's history "spotty", especially in the area of employee relations, but also with respect to some of it's technology initiatives, would sadly understate the case. This company is very badly ...

What Happens When It's The Doctor's Mistake?
Jun 18, 2010

I am a former Spheris MT, now begrudgingly a MQ MT (not that Spheris was all that great either).  As was pointed out below, we are still on Spheris rules for the most part but I don't expect that to last forever.  At Spheris, if we think a doctor has made a mistake, we are encouraged to flag it but that entails putting in a blank, just as if we didn't understand the dictator.  If we have too many blanks in a given period, we lose our incentive pay.  They do not diff ...

Payroll's Mistake
Feb 10, 2012

Today the payroll dept made a mistake and everyone who was working got clocked off in error.  Now CCM wants us to go in and fix it ourselves.  Next thing you know they will be sending us a tutorial on how to fix our own computers.  I am so tired of all the things we have to do for no pay that I want to scream.  It's bad enough that we are paid so little for doing what we were hired to do, we get nothing for all the things we have to do that were not in our job descriptio ...

Coming Across A Mistake
Aug 03, 2012

I was looking over already transcribed reports by others to check on a medication and came across a mistake that really makes us look foolish and is something, IMHO, that any transcriptionist would know and this doctor speaks good English.  Would you notify QA so they can correct the report or notify the hospital to correct the report?  Thanks for your opinion.  ...

You Guys Will Never Believe This ASR Mistake
Sep 13, 2012

This ASR mistake was so perfect that it is unbelievable.  It's so unbelievable that I would never have put it on here unless it was for real.  Dictated:  "M-H-C-L, all in caps" ASR:  MT agency hell hole  ...

Back From Vaca Only To Realize...
Aug 10, 2010

Wow I knew I hated my job, but it is much worse than I thought.  Though I have my resume out to find another job and I pray every night to find one, I feel as though I'd rather be without a job than to continue working for this company which has definitely sucked the life out of me and has taken away my ability to earn a decent living.  How does one work 93 hours and only take home 500 bucks...oh yeah by working for the Q, that's how.  Take an 18 year employee who starte ...

Umm... Why Dont These Mental Midgets Realize That
Mar 04, 2010

is the DICTATORS?!   THEY are the ones being sloppy and negligent, not the MT who is trying like hell to understand what on earth they're saying.   If hospitals had to pay a premium to get the dictation of their sloppy-guys transcribed, maybe they'd think twice about hiring them in the first place.  ...

Out Of Work- Dont You Realize That There Are Deductibles That Have To Be Met -sm
Jan 20, 2011

and people are just not going  in for surgeries or waiting till they are horribly sick before coming to the hospital.  It is always slow everywhere I have worked between January and February.  Of course you will be out of work at this time of year.  I have been here long enough to know I work for 2 jobs because of this reason and, unfortunately, both places I work are low on work right now.  Please just suck it up and quit complaining.  At least you have a job and ...

Do These Nut Cases Who Dictate Not Realize It's Okay To Take A Breath
Nov 11, 2011

before they finish a 10-minute dictation.  But, by all means, let's not say anything to them.  After all, they're doctors, residents, PAs, and they don't get up and put their pants on like everybody else.  Forget the poor people on the other end trying to make sense out of the nonsense they spew out of their mouths.  That's my vent for the day!  Now maybe I will feel better! ...

It Would Be Nice If Dictators Would Realize They Work
Sep 11, 2012

for a medical facility and not a fire department.  ...

Don't They Realize These Calls Do Not Increase Moral But Rather
Oct 15, 2012

It's no secret that on the charts and pies, there is the "elite" mgt team where all the money is funneled and then the lowly worker bees, aka MLS who allow that mgt team to enjoy the life they've become so accustomed to.  Why bother to have such a call to just rub it in everyone's face?  ...

Does These Numbskulls That Dictate Not Realize, Or Not Care,
Feb 04, 2013

that we work on production.  When they start to dictate why can't they have their ducks in a row and just dictate?  Why must they sit and scroll through computer screens or a paper chart?  It makes me want to scream.  Ten-minute dictations that produce 30 lines is totally ridiculous, but until the hospitals and MTSOs stand up for us and put a stop to it, it will keep happening.  Okay, I'm through now.  ...

Does Anyone Still Work With Diskriter? Didn't Realize They Were Still Around. NM
Apr 02, 2013

. ...

To Seasoned MTs: How Long Does It Take Before You Realize That A Company Is Not A Good Fit? Sm
Nov 12, 2009

Basically meaning that the platform is not going to MT friendly or you're going to spend too much time filling in patient demo, or a myriad of any other reasons.  And once you found out that it wasn't going to work out, how long did you stick it out? ...

Deleted A File In Express Scribe By Mistake.
Nov 21, 2011

I deleted a file yesterday, and need to get it back if I can.  Is there any way I can recover it?   ...