A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Anyone refused to type a doc for ethical reasons? - Ihatebeinginmt

Posted: May 05, 2011

Because I'm about to refuse to start typing a certain GYN oncologist, the little butchering, castrating, &*()(* that he is, has anyone else done this?

Anyone refuse to type a doc for ethical reasons? - Ihatebeinginmt

[ In Reply To ..]
Because I'm about to refuse to type a etc, etc, geez I better read my posts first!!!!

If you hate it, quit - You ARE an MT

[ In Reply To ..]
If you hate it so much, why do it?

Your job isn't to judge a dictator, it's to put their words on a page.

Do it or don't. Really is a very easy resolution.

I refused in another field. You either live your - convictions or betray them. Questions

[ In Reply To ..]
of "ethics/morality" typically arise when acting on them might cost somebody something, and then the usual answer is they can be ignored if money or being unpleasant at a party is involved. Nevertheless, either way you choose you'll have plenty of company.

No, and would never refuse because I don't agree - with his/her (insert whatever here)

[ In Reply To ..]
To each his own, but I think that is a bit holier-than-thou ridiculous.

That may sound holier than thou, but clinical - ihateblahblahblah

[ In Reply To ..]
personnel ARE allowed to do this, even to the point of refusing to work with certain doctors. So why not us?

She asked if we would refuse - not if it should be allowed

[ In Reply To ..]
Of course you/we can refuse to do any work, and if your conscience dictates that you cannot type words on a page, don't type words on a page.

I wouldn't refuse either.

no but there are a couple of co-MTs I refuse to work with for ethical - reasons. TISME (nm)

[ In Reply To ..]

So worried about what others are doing...then 'wah' at paycheck time.

I think I can infer what procedure you are - talking about SM

[ In Reply To ..]
and, if I am correct, this is a legal procedure in our country. If you feel so strongly about this, find a job at a hospital that does not do this procedure. Spend more time on your own business and do your job.

Really, you are makiing the report - for the patient, not the doctor.

[ In Reply To ..]
Get over yourself and do your job!
right I'll get right on that. - but thanks anyway.
[ In Reply To ..]
x

I have no idea what 'procedure' you are talking about (small message) - you are not making sense to me

[ In Reply To ..]
I'm talking about those who spend time manipulating the computer system/hospital platform to mainpulate others, see check on what or how many they are going, cherry picking, skipping and the like - with the work as a whole. Ths usual unethical practices that take time away from typing.

have no idea where you are coming from.
my job is perfect.

SM - you answered as if talking to TISME and - I responded inproperly because of that.

[ In Reply To ..]
MODERATOR, people are responding under the wrong post - and it is becomeing a prob. HELP?
[ In Reply To ..]
tnanks
Response - SM - Moderator
[ In Reply To ..]
It doesn't happen often. The only thing I can do is delete the post out of line which I will not do unless it needs to be for other reasons.

we are allowed, but I haven't done it.....sm - Tiny

[ In Reply To ..]
Where I work we are allowed to refuse a report for personal reasons. I know a woman who refuses to type for a doc because a close relative died on the operating table under him. Some women cannot stomach doing anything having to do with child abuse issues or domestic violence. I suppose this could be considered ethical reasons. I myself have a hard time with reports having to do with people with mental handicaps who are in distress, but I don't refuse to type them.

No, but had a couple of situations where maybe - I should have - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
One was a guy who kept yelling obscenities into the recorder directed at whatever MT was transcribing. A lot of "fu" and some sexually harassing comments, all came completely out of nowhere. I am able to avoid him by just waiting until someone else took his job out of the queue, so I am unofficially refusing to transcribe him.

Another doctor isn't so easy to avoid as she dictates long reports most MTs at my company don't want, so they skip her. Also, she's crazy, I think. She once clearly said that a patient was committing violent crimes and planning more. There were plenty of details, so I don't think the doctor was exaggerating. The doctor then said they didn't want to be "on the hook for that" so "just delete those comments, MT." I didn't know how to report it or if the state I was working for even allowed reporting it, if it would violate HIPAA, etc. Ended up just sending it to QA. Would love to be able to refuse to transcribe her stuff, but I know my company won't allow it.

reply - OldTimer

[ In Reply To ..]
Docs swearing and using obscenities while dictating especially if directed to the MT is uncalled for and in most if not all case not allowed. I am surprised your management did not read him/her the riot act and make him stop. That's ridiculous and should not be allowed. No one deserves such abuse.

Or just assign it to somebody like me. The worse - somebody is, the more unabusable

[ In Reply To ..]
I am. I just figure there's something wrong with that person.

Also, coarse or vulgar language? Whatever. However offended someone might choose to be over it, coarseness is not a moral issue and transcribing it not an ethical issue. Personal word style is like vulgar or inappropriate clothes--they may send some observer off into a pet, but that's it. Now, spreading malicious gossip with any word style--that's immoral. Following an employer's order to alter a report to hide injury done to a patient--that's highly immoral, no matter how refined the language used to perpetrate the crime might be and no matter how much we might be paid to do it.

agreverlying, OTimer, but you'd be surprised how many people in mgmt won't - approach a Dr. about ANYTHING.

[ In Reply To ..]
scawwy. and bet this buttbutt is not easily told his shoe is untied...tyrantical and all.

I would just get over it and do your job. you are not helping - by taking it personally.

[ In Reply To ..]
what are you, chronic victim? he is not speaking to you personally. Yet you get all bent out of shape and then do something that is disruptive to everyone in the workflow - it's called cherry picking. Avoiding the worst is the same as picking the best, just another form of sticking it to others.

He's blowing off steam. Someone has to be the grown-up here, might as well be you. Ignore the crap and get on with it.

abortion H&Ps, op notes, etc - OldHand

[ In Reply To ..]
I won't type the H&Ps for this. I won't be a part of helping to make this happen. If the anesthesiologist refuses to anesthetize the patient because there is no H&P on the chart -- well and good, maybe she will change her mind. (However, usually one of my colleagues, knowing how strongly I feel about it, has typed the H&P.) I will transcribe op notes and discharge summaries because I believe there does need to be a record of what has happened, and if the mother does come to regret what she has done, and later carries a later baby to term, that op note/discharge summary dealing with her TAB could become important for the health of the baby or the mother. But, I don't want any part of my living to come from this, and I give that money away either to an organization to help pregnant women or sometimes to a pro-life political candidate.

That's ABSURD. It's not your place to judge that - patient, or to sabotage her care!

[ In Reply To ..]
Would you want someone to try to "force" you to have an abortion if you didn't want one?

Then why do you think you have any right whatsoever, religious beliefs or not, to try to force another person not to have one, if it is HER choice?

IT'S NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS !!!!!

HOW DARE YOU TELL ME I DO NOT HAVE THE RIGHT TO MAKE MORAL DECISIONS REGARDING HOW I EARN MY LIVING! - old Hand

[ In Reply To ..]
I have the right to make moral judgements regarding my own behavior. I will not do anything to help make it possible for an innocent defenseless human being to be killed. I have had my own crisis pregnancy and I know there is always another way; I have walked in those shoes.

Because something is legal, doesn't make it moral. And by the way, the law gives me the right to refuse to participate in any way in an abortion (or participate in any other act that I regard as immoral for that matter.) I make no bones about this at the time of my employment interviews, if this is unacceptable to the hospital, they do not have to hire me (I have never not been hired for this reason, incidentally.) I am certainly not alone, I have known more than a few hospital-employed MTs over the years who have refused to have ANYTHING to do with these reports. I in fact am more liberal than some, because I will transcribe op notes and discharges.

you'd be fired on my watch. It's not your place to pull that card on your job. - you are only to judge yourself.
[ In Reply To ..]
x
Why do you work in healthcare? - Disgusted
[ In Reply To ..]
These attitudes make it hard to consider some of my fellow MTs healthcare professionals. If you were a nurse working in the ER and a woman came in after having had an AB would you refuse to help care for her?

I am just absolutely disgusted by the lack of professionalism. And we want to be thought of as educated professionals? Really?

You have walked in those shoes? You couldn't possibly have walked in all of those shoes. You've been a 12-year-old pregnant with her father's baby? You were beaten in an alley and raped? You were gang raped and don't know who the father is? There is no way possible you've suffered every single scenario that could possibly lead to electing an AB.

We're never going to be taken seriously as members of the healthcare team with these archaic attitudes. We have absolutely no idea what lead the patient to that decision. Thank god these attitudes are at home doing nothing more than typing the reports and not in position that is supposed to provide care and compassion to a patient.

YES -- and I won. - (sm)

[ In Reply To ..]
I was working on a weekend at our local hospital. Jerk doctor was using racial slurs to describe an African-American female patient (using the "n" word and stating things like "she must be from Memfrica" -- which he referred to Memphis as -- Memfrica). I replaced it with "African-American" and completed the report. He called about 2 hours later and said that wasn't what he said. I told him I realized that but I wasn't going to transcribe such a obscene and needless phrase. He threatened to have me fired.

So, I went to the console, pulled up the completed job, recorded the voice twice on 2 microcassettes, put one in my purse with a copy of what I transcribed. I took the other microcassette and a copy of the report and walked over to the doctor's lounge in the hospital. When I walked in there were about 8 doctors sitting there (all men) and I threw it at him. I told him he could use the "n" word all he wanted in his dictation but I would NEVER transcribe that. I also told him that if thought threatening my job because I didn't transcribe that was going to make me do it he was wrong. I then told him if I EVER heard of him using that language to describe patients or anyone else here that I would call the ACLU and the NAACP immediately, provide evidence to them, and the local media and request an immediate press conference and play it for them.

No one said a word. I walked out and went back to my office.

Never heard a word about it. A few weeks later, he was gone.

Good for you! - ihateblahblahblah

[ In Reply To ..]
I would have done the same thing! I've never personally had that happen, but I've heard about others who have.

Similar Messages:

Ethical Question
Aug 10, 2010

Here's a strange predicament I need advice on. I have worked for local clinic A for 14 years subcontracting. I was helping a friend who is an IC type for an ultrasound tech who would contract to read ultrasounds at various clinics. One of the clinics was clinic A. I get my work from the friend that the tech dictated and sent to her; however, due to an agreement between clinic A and ultrasound tech, I billed clinic A for that work along with my regular work. I send the typed reports directly ...

Has Anybody Refused To Use Landesk? I Don't Want To
May 24, 2013

The email I got said something about it being company policy to allow them maintain my computer but I've never seen that. I don't want them being able to access my computer whenever they want and install/remove stuff.  I used to have one computer just for work but it died so I've been having to use my personal one until I can save up enough (on these meager wages) to buy a new one. I just wondered if anybody refused to install it and if so, how well that went over. ...

Has Anyone Refused To Put LANDesk On Their Personal PC & What
Oct 11, 2014

x ...

My Visa Gift Card Was Refused?
Dec 26, 2009

I tried to use my giftcard today and it was refused. It was give by transcend, a visa giftcard, and it was refused when i tried to use it. I didn't see anything that came with it saying it had to be authorized or anything. Has anyone else had this problem? Do you have an authorization number i can call to authorize my card? Suggestions? Thanks ...

NEMT - Anyone Else Refused Because Of The State They Live In?
Jan 26, 2010

I live in MI, and I'm looking to supplement my current IC accounts, so applied with them.  Their response is they don't hire anyone living in MI!!  This is the first time I have ever had a company say anything like this.  Just curious. ...

What Are The Reasons One Would Not Get Unemployment?
Sep 06, 2013

n/a ...

Reasons Why VR Stinks
May 05, 2014

* - It sucks at numbers (not that numbers are important on a legal medical document or mean life and death in dosing etc.) * - It puts diagnoses on paper that weren't even said! * - It takes a phone number (emergency contact for patient) and inserts 02/08/2014 07/04/2013 04/03/2014 05/05/2013 04/02/2014 (what the ????) * - You can't make any money * - It can't recognize the difference between ASSESSMENT: AND IMPRESSION: It doesn't matter, whichever they said, it will say ...

My Reasons For Dragging My Feet On 6.1.
Sep 15, 2010

have nothing to do with difficulty, upload/download time, or any MT-related issues. The majority of you STILL DON'T GET IT.  6.1. is an enhancement for back-end editing. Back-end editing means more automatiion and need for fewer and fewer real live human MTs to do MQ work. So great, jump on the bandwagon to eliminate your jobs.  I'm relatively confident I'll be one of the last to be let go whether I upgrade to 6.1 now or a month from now or whenever. You are just mak ...

One Of The Reasons A Union Will Never Work
Feb 03, 2011

"I am looking for a transcription company that does SOAP notes preferably. I have 15 years of transcription experience and would like to do something part-time and weekends." I read this today.  I considered it could be a bait post since not far under it is one equal eyebrow-raising. But here's an MT who can say, "I have 15 years experience" and I would venture to guess, couldn't hold a candle to many of the newer and older acute-care MTs. Years of experience really becomes mea ...

Reasons For Discontent With Nuance
Jul 31, 2013

I know Nuance management watches this board carefully and know they are aware of issues we have, but wanted once again to put it in black and white.  Main issues are, in my humble opinion: 1.  Horrible health insurance.  Basically just major medical.  Makes me look forward to whatever Obamacare might offer.2.  Fiesa and QA/QC that make mountains out of molehills and seem to be intent on making us feel we are only worth the pittance we receive.3. The bonuses and difficul ...

TOP 10 REASONS TO DISLIKE NUANCE
May 20, 2014

1.  Low pay. 2.  Fiesa with no rhyme or reason for scores. 3. Too many managers/mini managers with rambling corporate speak emails. 4. Rambling client specifics on different accounts all subject to interpretation. 5.  Client specifics not uniform. 6.  Spark.  People you are told to contact are unavailable.  Lists should be alphabetized.   7.  Incompetent support staff. 8.  Bad VR which does not learn through correction.  Same mistakes over ...

Religious Reasons For Not Changing Your Hours, Can You Get UE?
Jan 29, 2013

It may be state to state also but let's say you had a religious reason for not working saturdays or sundays and they said to you "if you work sundays and saturdays you will have work" but you were not hired to work these dates as you stated when you were hired it was because of religious reasons, can you get unemployment? They are changing your schedule that you didn't sign up for, for a reason, religious objection. Just wondering. ...

New Physican Look Up For "security" Reasons??
Sep 12, 2010

I don't get the email with the FAQ's about 6.1 says that the new physician look up (that apparently they are getting a lot of complaints from MTs about) is because of a security issue with choosing the wrong doctor.  Well, I could understand THAT, but I don't see how this new slower way makes any difference in that regard....you could still JUST as easily choose the wrong doctor this way too.    The way they can and SHOULD address the problem of choosing the wrong ...

What Is The Correct Way To Type Hepatitis C "type 2A/2C Or IIA/11C?
May 14, 2010

. ...

Doctor Says RF X3. Do I Type RF X3 Or Type Out Refill X3
Jun 23, 2010

nm ...

If It Is Dictated Type 2 Or 3 Acromion, Do You Type 2 Or 3 Or II Or III?
Sep 08, 2010

TIA ...

HELP: If ECG Is Dictated, Can I Type As Is, Or Type In Full?
Nov 09, 2010

If ECG is dictated, can I use the abbreviation, or type in full? ...

MMSE Is Pertinent To "an Abunzant" Type Dementia Of Alzheim'er Type. :/ ESL
Apr 22, 2010

MMSE is pertinent to "an abunzant" type dementia of Alzheim'er type. ...

Type 2 Or Type II Diabetes
Nov 20, 2009

Which is the correct way to type...type 2 or type II diabetes? tia. ...

Anyone Type For Silent Type?
Aug 10, 2010

Wondering if anyone out there has any feedback about working for Silent Type?  I have done the test and have been told I will interview in two weeks when the position becomes available... I think there is a mandatory 2 day training in NJ?  Anyone done this and survived?  How's the pay?  I was considering going to work for MedQuist because they are taking over one of my current IC accounts but after reading in the MedQuist section I think I'll skip that one.  Th ...

All Type Pay?
Nov 10, 2009

Does anyone know what pay range All Type starts off at?  Does anyone have any experience with them?  I have a test to complete and before I invest my time taking it, I wanted to get some feedback.  Thanks ahead of time. ...

How Do You Type
Nov 13, 2009

4-ply lift... He has been weightbearing as tolerated in a boot with a full 4-ply lift. tia. ...

Type 3 Or Type III
Nov 16, 2009

type 3 or III subacromial impingement... tia. ...

How Do You Type This?
Jan 18, 2010

at this point we are going to get an "AP lateral scapular Y"? ...

Would You Type This?
Mar 09, 2010

Doctor says "we will punt him over to Dr.  So and So." Would you type "punt," leave blank, or replace this with "send," "refer," or something more appropriate? This doctor is always saying odd things...LOL. ...

All-type
Mar 16, 2010

I know that I asked before but never got a response, although many read my post.  Anyone working now, or ever worked for All-Type?  Need good and bad.  The last archive I saw was for September 2009.  Was offered a job, and now nothing.  Is this familiar?  ...

How To Type This?
Mar 24, 2010

There is grade 3 anterolisthesis of C3 upon C4 with fairly significant associated spinal stenosis. ...

Type Of Lab
May 01, 2010

Heavy ESL: "more specific autoimmune antibodies like a scade profile" ...

How Do You Type Q Day
Jun 28, 2010

She is still taking Percocet 1 to 1-1/2 tablets Q-day..tia. ...

Anything On All Type?
Jun 28, 2010

Hey all!   Thinking about leaving my current company.  All Type says they can give me an all typing account, I have been doing mostly VR for over a year and am making less and less money.    So I am curious about All Type.  Thanks! ...