A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Religious reasons for not changing your hours, can you get UE? - nan

Posted: Jan 29, 2013

It may be state to state also but let's say you had a religious reason for not working saturdays or sundays and they said to you "if you work sundays and saturdays you will have work" but you were not hired to work these dates as you stated when you were hired it was because of religious reasons, can you get unemployment? They are changing your schedule that you didn't sign up for, for a reason, religious objection. Just wondering.

UE - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
If you have a contract for this company stating this, it is worth a try.

I, however, just would not work those days and see if you get fired. Then if you have your contract apply to UE and you should have no problem.

If they start not giving you work also because you refuse to work Sat or Sun or very little work, then go to UE and apply for partial UE.

However, if you quit for this reason you might not get UE.

and some people wonder.... - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
why this profession is in the state it is in or why they are making such low wages. It is because they have to overhire to cover MTs as the OP as well as pay for a QA babysitter to go over their work they do not feel like proofing....I am sorry, but healthcare is 24/7. If after you try this, do not be surprised if you are sitting around with NJA.

And no I do not expect my transcriptionists to work during church hours, etc., but the most I ask for is help with 1 report on the weekend, which is OK to come in Monday morning my time, afternoon her time.

Employee status means being a team player, assisting on the weekends as well to keep the accounts in TAT, so you have a job during the week.

Are you a small MTSO? I guess you are not - familiar with the games SM

[ In Reply To ..]
played by the big 2. Not only to they offshore most of the work, they overhire just in case. They have no allegiance to anyone or anything except profit. Now with EPIC and other EHRs coming on board, it is going to be even more difficult to get enough work. The right and moral thing to do would be to address the issues of this industry honestly and lay off MTs so they can collect UE until they can find another job. People can be played with only so much and then they break. The big 2 hope you break so you will quit and they will be off the hook for UE. Everything you wrote used to be true, I would bet that most of the MTs on this board used to work for someone who treated them fairly, paid equitably, etc., and the MTs went out of their way to pitch in and do their part to make the company great, working extra, working weekends, etc., whatever was needed. How long to do expect MTs to keep doing their part when the company no longer cares whether they become homeless or can't feed their children.

Just curious where you draw the line. - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
If you hire an employee for set hours/set days, let's say here M-F/9-5, and you have them sign paperwork stating such upon hire, just how much do you expect you can get away with using the "healthcare is 24/7" excuse? Can you suddenly change them to Sunday - Thursday? How about changing them to four 10-hour shifts? Is it okay to change them to 2nd or 3rd shift to fit your needs?

Now try this situation... if you hire an employee M-F/9-5, have them sign paperwork stating such upon hire, and that employee doesn't show up on time to work the agreed upon schedule, is that acceptable? I mean, healthcare is 24/7, so it will be there at 10:00 or 11:00, right?

Shifting the blame to the MT for the company changing the terms agreed upon when hired, IMO, is unacceptable, and using the "healthcare is 24/7" line is insulting. Even more insulting is expecting the employee to not only accept the violation of the hiring agreement without question and work hours that they were not hired to work, but then expect them to sit there with no work once the change is made.

I hope the OP (and anyone else in the same situation) contacts the DOL or an attorney to find out what their rights are. Whether the employee cannot work because of religious reasons, childcare reasons, or because of their own healthcare needs is not the issue here... it's the company that's violating the terms of hire. If the company needs someone to work weekends, let them hire someone to work the weekends.

I think people should contact department of labor - and the unemployment office

[ In Reply To ..]
It is not what I wanted to hear, but I was told by unemployment that if you are offered work and refuse, that you will not collect unemployment.

Please note, I do not work for unemployment, I am not a suit, I am not angry or bitter, I am just stating what I was told.

Call the unemployment office and ask but - when I was hired (sm)

[ In Reply To ..]
the letter specifically stated they have every right to change your schedule based on client's needs. So you either accept the change or move on in your career to a place either closed on Sundays or whatever religious needs you have or will not require you work those days.

You might want to consider something in a small clinic or physician's office that's closed on weekends. Good luck!

Why the dislike on this post? - me

[ In Reply To ..]
I think it's a legitimate question. For example, if you are Jewish you are not permitted to work on the Sabbath which is from sundown Friday to sundown Saturday. Also Catholics are taught that Sunday is a day of rest and is a violation of the 3rd commandment to work on Sunday. So I really do not understand the dislike on here. Atheist maybe?

Similar Messages:

Changing Down To 30-35 Hours Instead Of 40
Sep 12, 2014

So, progressive part time anyone? Obviously, the PTO accrual (which is pretty pitiful even at full strength) is way less, but when you have to keep using all your PTO anyway to make up the paycheck and your lph goes down because of that, what's the point of that? I am considering going down to 30-35 hours so I don't have to scratch all the time to make up to 40 hours, even if my PTO accrual goes down, mainly because I am sick of having to "flex" every morning, noon, and night to get ...

Flexibility With MQ - Changing Hours For Sports Activities, Etc.
Oct 12, 2009

Is this pretty much depending on who your direct supervisor is or is this new time keeping thing one that allows you to make changes, switch shifts, etc.? ...

Off Due To Religious Holiday? Anyone Know....
Jan 15, 2015

if your employer has to give you the day off WITHOUT you using your PTO for a religious holiday you celebrate, such as Easter ??? Thank you. ...

Religious Quotes On Company Emails (sm)
Feb 15, 2010

This has been bothering me for some time now.  First of all, let's make something very clear, I am not an atheist.  I am a very spiritual, moral and ethical person.  However, the supervisors and managers at the company I have been with for about a year now always seem to have a Christian quote appended other their names in the company-based emails.  I am very uncomfortable with that in a work setting, especially with these people being in a position of power&nb ...

CHANGING JOBS/CHANGING EMPLOYEES
Feb 23, 2011

I have been applying and studying the "online transcription world" for about 2 months, so I realize I have am a neophyte. BUT-it seems to me that what is happening here is a huge waste of time and money. If the companies paid enough, ACTUALLY had work when they hire, were able to ACTUALLY pay the employees at all,  and treated employees well, then the transcriptionists wouldn't go looking for another job and leave.  THEN the companies wouldn't have to maintain recruiters, pos ...

What Are The Reasons One Would Not Get Unemployment?
Sep 06, 2013

n/a ...

Reasons Why VR Stinks
May 05, 2014

* - It sucks at numbers (not that numbers are important on a legal medical document or mean life and death in dosing etc.) * - It puts diagnoses on paper that weren't even said! * - It takes a phone number (emergency contact for patient) and inserts 02/08/2014 07/04/2013 04/03/2014 05/05/2013 04/02/2014 (what the ????) * - You can't make any money * - It can't recognize the difference between ASSESSMENT: AND IMPRESSION: It doesn't matter, whichever they said, it will say ...

My Reasons For Dragging My Feet On 6.1.
Sep 15, 2010

have nothing to do with difficulty, upload/download time, or any MT-related issues. The majority of you STILL DON'T GET IT.  6.1. is an enhancement for back-end editing. Back-end editing means more automatiion and need for fewer and fewer real live human MTs to do MQ work. So great, jump on the bandwagon to eliminate your jobs.  I'm relatively confident I'll be one of the last to be let go whether I upgrade to 6.1 now or a month from now or whenever. You are just mak ...

One Of The Reasons A Union Will Never Work
Feb 03, 2011

"I am looking for a transcription company that does SOAP notes preferably. I have 15 years of transcription experience and would like to do something part-time and weekends." I read this today.  I considered it could be a bait post since not far under it is one equal eyebrow-raising. But here's an MT who can say, "I have 15 years experience" and I would venture to guess, couldn't hold a candle to many of the newer and older acute-care MTs. Years of experience really becomes mea ...

Reasons For Discontent With Nuance
Jul 31, 2013

I know Nuance management watches this board carefully and know they are aware of issues we have, but wanted once again to put it in black and white.  Main issues are, in my humble opinion: 1.  Horrible health insurance.  Basically just major medical.  Makes me look forward to whatever Obamacare might offer.2.  Fiesa and QA/QC that make mountains out of molehills and seem to be intent on making us feel we are only worth the pittance we receive.3. The bonuses and difficul ...

TOP 10 REASONS TO DISLIKE NUANCE
May 20, 2014

1.  Low pay. 2.  Fiesa with no rhyme or reason for scores. 3. Too many managers/mini managers with rambling corporate speak emails. 4. Rambling client specifics on different accounts all subject to interpretation. 5.  Client specifics not uniform. 6.  Spark.  People you are told to contact are unavailable.  Lists should be alphabetized.   7.  Incompetent support staff. 8.  Bad VR which does not learn through correction.  Same mistakes over ...

Anyone Refused To Type A Doc For Ethical Reasons?
May 05, 2011

Because I'm about to refuse to start typing a certain GYN oncologist, the little butchering, castrating, &*()(* that he is, has anyone else done this? ...

Just Applied To Nuance. Curious What Hours Most Of You Work And What Hours 2nd Shift Is?
Jul 10, 2012

Please don't discourage me from applying to Nuance.  I just lost my job today and I need a job BAD!  Plus, I've only got two semesters of college left before I graduate and move out of this field.  Anyway, can someone tell me what 2nd shift hours are? And I'm curious to know when most of you work. Thanks ...

Shesh. Been Sitting Here 6 Hours For 3-1/2 Hours Of Work.
Apr 17, 2013

Somehow, I think we should be getting paid for the time we are waiting between jobs, especially since the wait isn't fitting into the 15-minute wait period. - Of course, waiting put under work availability. ...

Department Of Labor Says 40 Hours Equals 40 Hours...
Sep 16, 2014

...check it out for yourselves. Employees are not independent contractors. If you signed up for a straight 8 per day, your time sheet should reflect only the breaks you take off the clock. They are so messing with you folks! ...

New Physican Look Up For "security" Reasons??
Sep 12, 2010

I don't get the email with the FAQ's about 6.1 says that the new physician look up (that apparently they are getting a lot of complaints from MTs about) is because of a security issue with choosing the wrong doctor.  Well, I could understand THAT, but I don't see how this new slower way makes any difference in that regard....you could still JUST as easily choose the wrong doctor this way too.    The way they can and SHOULD address the problem of choosing the wrong ...

Is It Possible To Get 40 Hours' Work In 40 Hours?
Aug 09, 2014

If it takes more, how many more? I realize this is an answer dependent on many factors, but I'm talking in general terms. Thank you. ...

Another Example Of How MT Is Changing
May 06, 2010

Position available for full-time EMR Transcriptionist/Medical Assistant Applicants must have some EXPERIENCE in Electronic Medical Records data entry to qualify. Medical Assistant skills are necessary. For example, how to put on an EKG. Other important skills and qualifications of the ideal candidate are: Strong data entry skills - accuracy is also very important Good patient and people skills Dependable and a good team player ...

WMX - Changing From FT To PT ?
Jun 25, 2011

Does anyone know if you have to request your PTO be paid out when you change status?  I know we don't accrue PTO as PT so I would assume they would.  Just didn't know if I should request those hours on next payperiod or not.  Communication now is rather sketchy, so I thought I would ask here first.  ...

Changing TSM
Jul 03, 2014

What are the chances of changing TSMs or accounts?  I am on an account that has a lousy ESL who won't budge on his "speaking better".  I can never get the man right.  Always, always have errors on his reports.  Told my TSM that if I didn't understand and left blanks, would probably end up the whole thing being blank. ...

I Got In Trouble For Not Changing 1st, 2nd Etc
Oct 23, 2009

I always thought it was optional to spell out 1st, 2nd, or 3rd per AAMT BOS so now I will go look for it.  I am so frustrated though because not only do I get paid less on ASR but it takes longer to do it!  My accounts have to be put into standards and the dictators sure as heck do NOT dictate it that way!  On the physical exam in one of my accounts we have to do headings caps on the left margin, which isn't so bad, but I said they sure as heck don't dictate that way and ...

Changing Transcription
Jan 18, 2010

I recently discovered that another employee has been making changes to transcription that carries my initials along side the doctor's initials, which indicates me as the transcriptionist. I feel that this is not only inappropriate, but possibly also illegal. Is it illegal for someone to change transcription done by someone else without their knowledge and/or permission? Can I be held responsible for her changes within my reports? I do have copies of my original transcripti ...

Changing Professions
Feb 28, 2010

This message is to everyone who posts on this board, especially those who are advising/telling others to get out of the medical transcription field.  It seems that things have changed overnight with voice recognition and electronic charting but it is still very new and probably too soon to tell for sure how it will impact us.  Many of you are imagining the worst and every directive from a company or news item that appears is taken out of context and blown out of proportion by certain p ...

Changing CCM/Region
Sep 07, 2010

I was switched to new accounts back in March, a group of long-term subacute hospitals with the same name and locations all over the country.  HIGH HIGH ESL.  Most of the notes barely 30 seconds long, if that.  They are the worst money accounts possible with more time spent on ADT than typing because the notes are so short.  The ONLY good thing is that I rarely ever run out of work.  My income has gone down over 40% since being put on these accounts.  I ask ...

WMX And Changing Shifts
Sep 04, 2011

If you find you aren't happy with the shift you hired on for, do you have to wait 90 days to ask for a change?  Do you just ask your  manager or is there a request form you need to submit?  TIA. ...

Changing Gears
Dec 14, 2011

Well, here I am-45, recently lost my job due to one of the big MTSOs taking over at the hospital I worked at, and I am seriously considering going back to school.  I was thinking medical reimbursement and coding, but have been reading on some posts about that profession going the same way transcription has.  I would hate to put all of the time, effort, and money into another degree, just to be in the same boat in a couple of years, yet older and even more uneasy about changing to anoth ...

Changing To Something Besides Healthcare
May 20, 2012

Well, I've done it -- I've changed to something else for work other than anything in healthcare. I was an MT for many years, and I can't see any future for decent earnings, benefits or growth unless a person wants to be in direct patient care -- if they can even break into it after all of the hard work to earn another degree. I do have a university degree and changed to a job that pertains to that degree. I have seen many organizations go to Epic, which is an excellent system by t ...

Changing Schedule
Jun 11, 2012

Anybody being asked to change their schedule to a "weekend component or four 10 hour days?" ...

Changing Jobs
Jul 09, 2012

I work for Medscribe right now and just had to take a pay cut (gasp)!  I am seriously thinking about changing jobs but I have been here for 5 years and hate to lose my PTO accrual rate and great schedule.  (M-F flex 6 a.m. to 6 p.m.)  Also, I fear the grass is not greener on the other side.  Our work load has diminished greatly over the past few months and I have a huge fear about this.  What would you do?? I have 13 years experience in transcription and this is the wors ...

Changing Platforms?
Aug 22, 2012

Before totally giving up on this company, I would like to give an E-Scription account a try (currently on Enterprise). Does anyone know who I would contact? TIA. ...