A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

CMS Final Rule - coding student

Posted: Jan 30, 2013

This was published in the Federal Register last week, correct?  I have a friend who is in a battle with an insurance company over a very sick child.  They are always throwing up obstacles for coverage.

She told me that out-of-network treatment is covered at 50% of 200% of Medicare rates.  So we are trying to uncover exactly what that rate is.  Is the CMS Final Rule document what  I am looking for to help her?

Is Coder here?  Expert insight would be so appreciated

It depends on the treatment . . . - but you knew that

[ In Reply To ..]
You're trying to find what the Medicare rate would be for the service?

Rummage around on the Medicare website. www.cms.gov Try googling "cms Fee Schedule 2013," then choose the CMS link itself.

You need to use the rates that were in effect when the child had the treatment.

Let us know what you found.

Thank you - coding student

[ In Reply To ..]
The child has several diagnoses, including I believe 315.32. What is basically happening is that the child has a period of seizure activity and then loses language from the seizures. I don't know if there is a firm diagnosis yet, but it is similar to Landau Kleffner syndrome in that it is a rare seizure disorder (perhaps without a name yet) The child is very intelligent and there is no MR. There absolutely must be intensive therapies with the kind of speech delay that is being faced. Mom has managed to get child in for evaluations and consultation with a couple of world-class neurologists.

Mom is the hardest-working single mom that I know and yet she still manages to have her child in all of the therapies that the doctors are telling her are critical: speech, occupational therapy, physical therapy, and behavioral therapy (psychotherapy is the hardest therapy to get covered).

I want to help her not only gather information in order for her to fight denials of therapies (which were previously covered earlier in 2012), but to be prepared for this next year.

I found this: http://www.apta.org/PTinMotion/NewsNow/2012/11/2/FinalFeeSchedule/ and would absolutely love some help breaking it down. Mom is extremely intelligent and needs no hand-holding, just ammo. Puts me to shame!

There is not much protection coming from our state laws for these kids. The tactics that this insurance company has pulled on this family are even more despicable than usual. This child is beautiful and this family deserves any help you can throw this way. Thanks if you can help.

What is the problem you want to solve? - Coder

[ In Reply To ..]
From your first post, I thought you needed a source for the actual fee schedule itself. You said that the insurance company paid 50% of 200% of Medicare rates, so it seemed that you were trying to verify how much they would have reimbursed for, say, a particular claim. That's why I told you how to find the CMS Fee Schedule. Did you try that? Were you successful? Did it help in terms of giving you what you need?

The apta article is just an article. The link to the fee schedule is broken, so I'm not sure what you saw. I am not sure that breaking down the article is going to help, because there isn't anything in it that would be useful. But, I'm not sure what the problem is yet, either.

Insurance companies may be despicable, but if you are buying insurance from them, you have accepted their coverage rules. You accept that staying within network will cost you less. You accept that going out of network will cost you more. They don't pay for everything, even if your doctor thinks you need it. And a lot of times, it is the way the physician presents the case that determines if it gets paid or not.

So, there can be many reasons an insurer might deny payment. Medicare, for instance, has a lot of noncovered services. They may feel they are medically worthless or potentially harmful. They may expect to see "improvement" and deny coverage if no improvement can be expected, or if there aren't enough patients to tell if improvement can be expected. Insurers might deny particularly expensive, experimental services.

Insurers are not charitable institutions. Most of them are for-profit businesses. All patients are deserving, so arguments pointing toward that fall flat with them. You just have to deal with them in a focused, businesslike fashion.

First of all, you have to figure out what they cover. The policy tells you and their website tells you. The doctor's office should be able to tell you more about this.

You said they covered therapy earlier in 2012 but now do not? What changed?

Realize that the insurer has specific coverage rules and that you MUST accommodate the rules before they'll pay. They want to see exactly how those therapies will be beneficial. Is there medical evidence that they benefit patients WITH THAT DIAGNOSIS? Psychotherapy and speech therapy, for instance, might not be covered for a patient who has diagnosis 315.32, but might be for other diagnoses.

The diagnoses submitted by various physicians might be differing enough to indicate that the problem is not severe or that it isn't known what the problem is. Or, if you know that therapies are covered, it might be that therapists are submitting incorrect information, leading to denials.

It might just be the practice of this insurer to deny most claims up front, only paying them after the doctor or patient exhibit significant effort to get paid.

As aggravated as you might be with this insurer, a "working with them" mindset helps more than a "fighting against them." Fighting them is very hard, but you can often get some success from objective, calm, sincere efforts.

Getting coverage "in general" won't work. You have to do it for each therapy or service.

Find out from the insurer what they cover and under what circumstances. If the services ARE covered, then they should be paid. Figure out why payment was denied. The insurer will tell you, but it might be in their coded lingo and hard to figure out. Is it the diagnosis? The procedure code? Or did the care provider fail to file the claim correctly? Did they use the wrong codes for it? Did they fail to submit the documentation that was necessary? Were the therapies ordered correctly? Did the insurer receive documentation of that?

If the service is NOT covered, things are much more difficult. You then have to demonstrate that services SHOULD be covered and why. If they were paid last year, but now are not being paid, the actual coverage might not be the problem. We'll hope that isn't what it is.

Keep in mind that if Medicare does not cover something, that something will not be on the fee schedule. It isn't a verbal description of the something, either, but the CPT code number. That code has to appear on the fee schedule. Think about it . . . if code is not there with a payment rate listed, how can you calculate the payment? If a care provider called it code abcdef last month, but now calls it abchij, and abchij isn't covered . . . Or, if abchij and abcdef are only covered for particular diagnoses and the diagosis matches abcdef but not abchij . . .

Find out what they cover. Compare the paid claims and denials to what they cover. That tells you what the problem is.

Another tactic might be more productive, especially if the insurer simply will not cover the services. If this child is that ill and will require that kind of intensive treatment, see if Medicaid would be a better option for the family.

The Wikipedia article on this condition notes that Boston Children's has a program for this. If the family is in a program like that, they can help get it covered. After you get all your ducks in row, you might contact them for advice.

That article listed some references. You can find more, most likely, using a Medline or PubMed search (google it). If scholarly articles support the use of those therapies, then you can use them to justify coverage, but if they do not, the insurer will use them to de-support them.

Similar Messages:

Mom's Rule
May 21, 2012

Has anyone ever heard of the verbiage "follow Mom's rule" in ER plan of care??  Physician states, "he is to follow Mom's rule"....... ...

Final Paychecks
Feb 06, 2010

Has anyone who has left MQ either by quitting or termination had any trouble receiving their final paycheck(s) and PTO balance? ...

Final Check
Jun 30, 2010

Do anybody know how your final check is sent by Keystrokes?  I had direct deposit and wondered if it would go that way or be mailed out. ...

Final Diagnosis
Apr 22, 2010

Final Diagnosis..... ACE, ASA  s/l "steve a" stable angina pectoris   ...

Anyone Know About Final Checks . . .
Jun 25, 2010

I finally cut ties with the Q after being returning to work for them and finding them not to be the company they once were or the pay was not the same.  After careful consideration and finding another position, I resigned.  Awaiting my pay out from my PTO and being told it would be deposited today, nada.   Anyone have any idea about this?  Will this be sent as a final check or did I get the royal kick in the you know where and will not see that PTO payout. Thanks Q. ...

Perhaps Final Update
Mar 19, 2012

This will probably be my final post.  As some of you might recall, I graduated with my MD in 2010, and just received notice this week that I will be starting residency in July in Family Medicine.  I once again want to reiterate to all of the MTs and QAs out there slaving away for M*Modal that there is no computer in the world that can replace a human brain, that your skills are valuable, and that you are professionals and irreplaceable.  My 30 years in medical transcription was in ...

Final Paycheck - Does Anyone Know....sm
Jul 21, 2012

if your final paycheck is direct deposited or if they mail your check?  Thanks. ...

Awaiting Final Pay
Jun 28, 2013

I have been waiting for final pay from MTSO since May when check was "sent" It has not been received by me, nor has it been returned to MTSO.   Operator of MTSO says they have "fulfilled their legal obligation" and the fact that I have not received money is unfortunate.  Apparently no new check will be issued or Direct Deposit made until original check is returned as not deliverable.  Thoughts and advice please? Yes, I have emailed weekly and have the same response.  ...

Anyone Else Ever Get A Final Warning (PM)?
Jul 31, 2014

Just curious if anyone has gotten a final warning or if anyone has been fired from Mmodal?   I think I might be next...hoping if I do that I will be able to get unemployment because I am really trying to do my best but have not been able to pass audits for long....  ...

Rule For Adding A
Mar 24, 2010

Hello. It might just be too early but can someone tell me the rule as to when to add A?  Like the doc says HISTORY: 72-year-old woman who..... Should I be adding A to the beginning? HISTORY:  A 72-year-old...   ...

SIRS Rule Out PTI S/l
Sep 18, 2010

In the diagnosis section this doc says "SIRS.  Rule out s/l PTI."  So, I found SIRS (systemic inflammatory response syndrome) but I can't find out what s/l PTI is to go along with it.  Any ideas? ...

AHDI Rule
Feb 10, 2011

What is BOS ruling on using the word "post" when typing (for example) status postcholecystectomy?  Where in BOS is this found? ...

Rule Changed?
Jun 29, 2011

murmurs, gallops, or rubs  OR  murmurs, gallops or rubs? I am old school and taught that the first is correct, but I waste a huge amount of time and keystrokes correcting this and other instances like this.  I looked at the AAMT link, but really didn't get a sufficient answer if the second is OK to leave as that is the preferred way ASR puts it; however, every grammar site I looked at online puts the additional comma in. ...

ESL Rule Of Thumb
Nov 17, 2011

As American-born, English-speaking doctors are becoming the minority, I think all companies should openly state what percentage of ESL will be encountered in a new job and then ask 1 year of experience for each percentage of ESL; e.g. 40% ESL (the maximum I can personally tolerate) 4 years experience plus a differential in the line rate, too. What do y'all think? ...

AAMT Rule
May 16, 2012

dictated: levothyroxine 1200 micrograms daily transcribed: levothyroxine 1200 mcg daily   is this correct? pls help. ...

Assessment: Rule Out S/l Wad-dey-o
Dec 24, 2012

EMS responding to a patient who just had ablation for SVT last week and is complaining of weakness and dizziness. Cannot find with much searching. Thanks for your help! ...

New 6-minute Rule-sm
Aug 14, 2013

When you get NJA you have the 3 options as we did before.  When you choose to "make up time", at the very end of the explaination, it says something along the line of entering a leave request on teamwork for excused no pay?  This only makes sense if in fact you cannot or do not make up the time, but the policy does not explain it that way.  Example:  You work 2 hours and get NJA.  You have 6 hours to make up and can only make up 4.  The remaining 2 hours must be en ...

What Is The New Rule For How Many Days Off Without Pay
Nov 24, 2013

I really don't see what it matters now that we don't get PTO and if we aren't getting paid for it so what. Seems stupid to me that they would care how much time we have off if they aren't paying us anyway but anyone know now the most days you can take for the year part time and full time?  I know they took away PTO for part timers and cut it for full time but wasn't sure of the new rules. Also, when does it start over again if you used up your unpaid time off days. ...

Does Anyone Know Offhand MM's Rule If
Aug 26, 2014

no patient name is given?  Do we transcribe it as "UNKNOWN, NAME" or "NO NAME, GIVEN" etc?  Or where this info is located?  I've searched DQS guidelines and TSG and can't seem to find it.  TIA! ...

Help Please Im Looking Can't Find The Rule
Feb 09, 2015

Do I need to put a marker in there as a warning. I totally forgot and never usually get this..checking the guides now coming up empty ...

Re: Career Step Final
Feb 03, 2010

I was curious to hear if anybody failed the second part of the final? I got a 13% on the second part only because I was having serious trouble hearing the doctor clearly. I took that final last June, and I am wanting to take the final again in May. I am worried that I am going to come across the same problem even after practicing for so many months and getting helpful tips from the Career Step final. I am currently working part-time typing overflow reports and I am doing rather well with that. S ...

Just Scored A Surprise 84% On Final...:(
Apr 08, 2010

I just received a score on my Allied Med School Final exam of 84%, which really surprises me as I have been scoring upwards of 95 on the assignments and felt really good about these 5 transcriptions. From your experiences, what are my chances of ever being able to find a job with an 84 on my certificate? Trying to decide whether to try the second attempt or not - worried that my grade on it would be even lower... ...

Has Any One From Transcend Seen The Final Results Of The
Aug 10, 2010

biggest loser contest?  I saw June, but nothing after that.   Not that I will win it, but just curious since I felt it was a very unfair contest.  ...

LAVH-BSO On Final Diagnoses
Jan 22, 2011

I am doing a DS.  I can't believe this has never come up before (or I've forgotten!) - When typing LAVH-BSO on the diagnoses, can I use LAVH-BSO or do I need to spell it all out?  I would think LAVH-BSO would be more readable, but I know the rule is to spell it out.  I'm trying to be practical here, but it may come back to haunt me. Thanks ...

Ophth-A Final Word
Jan 29, 2012

I just wanted to let those of you know who were helpful in my quest for an ophth sample....I am very grateful for the help I got.  All I wanted was some information on samples.  To the rest of you MTs who responded with criticism, judgment, and assumptions...stick it in your ear! One of you thought I cared what a "blessed" life you had and went on and on about it. ?? What?  Didn't really fit my post, but okay...guess you gotta tell someone! Someone else, maybe the same perso ...

RIPPED OFF ON FINAL PAYCHECK
Jun 30, 2012

I resigned from MModal a week ago, June 23rd and received my final paycheck deposit yesterday.  It was over $100 short!  I worked the same number of hours I also do and transcribed within the ball park the same number of lines.   I also had 12 hours of PTO they owed me for that I had not used.  It doesn't appear that I was paid for all of that either.  For some reason they sent me 5 check stubs - I usually only got 2 per pay periods.  I get direct deposit. &nbs ...

FINAL (HOPEFULLY) WORD ON RADTRANS
Aug 07, 2012

This is hopefully my final post on RADTRANS.  Shortly after my last post, I received an e-mail from owner of RADTRANS.  Apparently someone e-mailed her regarding what I said (according to her email she has no reason to go to this website, this is what she said:  I DON'T GO ON THERE OBVIOUSLY AS I HAVE NO NEED TO.....   THAT'S A SITE FOR "MT'S WHO HAVE SOUR GRAPES"   LOL  A CHAT ROOM I SUPPOSE FOR MT'S WHO HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO TH ...

Final Paycheck Question
May 25, 2013

Has anyone ever been told that the final pay from an MT company will not come all at once, and will be divided up into 2 final payments?  I thought this company would send me one final check, but she stated that they are sending it out according to their pay schedule and the final check will not come until the second week in June!!  It is not a tremendous sum; the first check I received was last week and it was around $370, and the second one I doubt will even be $200.   I ha ...

Medwrite -- The Final Scoop
May 30, 2013

This is an except of an email that I received from the CEO of the company today.  This was after I sent an email last week and things were "misconstrued" on their part.  After reading this, I am of the opinion that while yes, they offer straight transcription at a "decent rate" by today's standards, it also explains to me why I was tearing my hair out on the dictators I had.  We American MTs were getting the "garbage," with no way of being able to look things up by patient.&n ...

Crepitance - The Final Word?
Jun 15, 2013

Can anyone tell me in no uncertain terms, with absolute certainty - is crepitance a word? I cannot find it anywhere EXCEPT on sites like this where MTs are saying it is not a word. I always thought it was not a word but, of course, it keeps creeping up in reports. I even find it often in voice rec reports, over and over, which tells me that other MTs are not changing it - and this is what is prompting me to ask. Please help - thanks! ...