Home     Contact Us    
Main Board Job Seeker's Board Job Wanted Board Resume Bank Company Board Word Help M*Modal Nuance New MTs Classifieds Offshore Concerns VR/Speech Recognition Tech Help Coding/Medical Billing
Gab Board Politics Comedy Stop Games Faith Board Prayer Requests Health Issues

ADVERTISEMENT

Company Board

I agree it is important to keep - this and similar situations in mind

Posted: Jul 11th, 2019 - 2:46 am In Reply to: single moms? - NM

I am not criticizing anyone and I do have sympathy for business owners struggling to keep their companies afloat. Kudos to the employees who have expressed their loyalty to KS and are helping them get through hard times. MTs are not the only ones who have been suffering. But I think it is very helpful for all of us to keep in mind that late pay happens (and believe me, KS is not the only one; some try to get out of paying at all). Hearing as much as possible about the state of our profession helps us be cautious about who we work for and realize how much we have to plan ahead when we accept a new job. I'm nearing retirement and still, incredibly, managing to cobble a decent living from transcription. I have to juggle multiple jobs and keep a close watch on pay dates, but I live in the boonies and it beats the heck out of minimum wage at the hardware store or nightmare local hospital with commuting, etc. (as I know from experience). Last year I worked for someone who paid monthly and not ever on time, but it helped keep me afloat. Maybe some day I will want to work for KS, accept and plan ahead for late pays. Never say never. Although I have to admit, late pay at a job that keeps many of us one paycheck away from homelessness is a major bummer. It's worth considering that our willingness to find ways to deal with all these downsides is a major factor in preventing transcription from going the way of the dodo. Not only are we still here in spite of massive efforts to eliminate us, but I think it's slowly getting better. Providers are mad as #@!! about EHR and having to become their own transcriptionists, and I for one am doing better than I have in years. A year ago I was eliminated by my MTSO after 20 years and took low-paying long-commute work you don't even want to hear about (despite a 4-year degree and more). After leaving a second horrible abusive job I took advice I read here (to do an inet search and apply for the first MT opening you find), I got a great second IC MT job to add to a part-time I'd had for years and am, incredibly, making more than I did 10 years ago. Yes, I work 10-12 hour days 6-7 days a week, but my child is away in college, I still love transcription, and I'm still working at home. I just replaced my 16-year-old car with one I'm not afraid to drive and I can afford decent food.

ADVERTISEMENT

Post A Reply Reply By Email Options

Complete Discussion Below: ( marks the location of current message within thread)