Home     Contact Us    
Main Board Job Seeker's Board Job Wanted Board Resume Bank Company Board Word Help M*Modal Nuance New MTs Classifieds Offshore Concerns VR/Speech Recognition Tech Help Coding/Medical Billing
Gab Board Politics Comedy Stop Games Faith Board Prayer Requests Health Issues

ADVERTISEMENT

Main Board Today's Top Viewed: gall bladder surgery.. (Views: 33)

For those MTs seeking retraining for another - line of work.

Posted: Feb 19th, 2016 - 12:07 pm

I've been an MT for almost 20 years now. Needless to say I make peanuts now. I need to be retrained for something else. I'm wanting to get into Medical Coding as it seems like the most natural transition for me. Because I need help financially to attend school, and being older I don't have the luxury of taking a 2 year community college course, I'm needing to go to a private school to get to work as soon as possible and they are costly. They have payment plans but I just don't have the $ for the payments. I felt stuck.

I contacted my state Dept of Labor and was recommended to check into the TAA program and do a search to see if any of my past employers had a petition filed on them and if it was approved. I did the search only to find that the company I worked for did indeed have a petition approved but it had expired. Luckily, I still contacted the DOL, told him I had worked for the company during the effective time period the petition was in force. They then investigated and, to my total surprise, found that I am, in fact, approved for retraining under that expired petition!  They pay the full expense of retraining; books, tuition, the whole nine yards. I feel like I hit the jackpot!

So, my suggestion to you is this. Go to this website:  doleta.gov  and search by company name to see if they have had a petition filed for TAA (Trade Adjustment Assistance).  If, during the course of your employment, they have an approved application, you too may qualify for assistance.  This is not income-based or low income, it is because they have sent work overseas and this has negatively impacted our employment and our earnings.

Good luck to you! Don't give up.

ADVERTISEMENT

Post A Reply Reply By Email Options

Complete Discussion Below: ( marks the location of current message within thread)