Home     Contact Us    
Main Board Job Seeker's Board Job Wanted Board Resume Bank Company Board Word Help M*Modal Nuance New MTs Classifieds Offshore Concerns VR/Speech Recognition Tech Help Coding/Medical Billing
Gab Board Politics Comedy Stop Games Faith Board Prayer Requests Health Issues

ADVERTISEMENT

Main Board Today's Top Viewed: gall bladder surgery.. (Views: 57)

AARP etc - college for the older crowd (or not that old) - Egghead

Posted: Feb 19th, 2016 - 11:57 pm In Reply to: For those MTs seeking retraining for another - line of work.

I'm not going back to school myself (I would if I could get excited about something!) - but I noticed something through AARP, who said that some colleges/schools will waive or reduce fees for seniors taking a credit course - it depends on the school. Or you can perhaps audit (sit in on) courses instead, but of course then you don't get official credit for it - and auditing isn't just for seniors. Again, need to check with the school.

At scholarships.com -- "Despite the incentives for adult scholarships, many students still believe the financial aid myth that there are no scholarships for adult students....they are more hesitant when it comes to applying and searching for scholarships. The chances of finding scholarships for adult students attending a community college or vocational school instead of a four-year college or university might also seem slim.

The same advice applies to adult students as to high school seniors: there are scholarships out there for everyone. Most scholarship providers do not put age limits for scholarships, such as the Scholarships.com Area of Study college scholarships are available to any students who will be enrolled in college next year. There are also numerous scholarships for adult students. Your college may offer special scholarships for adult students. Your current employer may even pay part of your tuition [HAHA, NOT MY MTSO], especially if your degree is related to the company’s line of work. Additionally, you can do a free scholarship search here on Scholarships.com and instantly get a list of scholarship awards that apply to your situation. With all the challenges of going back to school, adding a scholarship search to the list might be a daunting task, but it can pay off in the end."
Note, there are grants too if you're under a certain income level. Etc. It's worth checking out scholarship websites. Plus, locally here in my city, there are also an incredible number of scholarships offered through a certain foundation - found out about it when my kids graduated high school. Some were restricted to certain age levels, some not.

ADVERTISEMENT

Post A Reply Reply By Email Options

Complete Discussion Below: ( marks the location of current message within thread)