A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

What is the proper way to type q.4 h. when the physician says q.4 hours not q.4 "H" sm - TIA

Posted: May 06, 2011

I do not have the third edition BOS and curious as to what it says also.  Thanks

I have copied and pasted what the 2nd edition BOS says about it, but really want the 3rd - TIA

[ In Reply To ..]
I guess I should have read up on this better as this was taken off of my QA score.

Invalid Latin abbreviations such as q.a.m. (every morning) and mixed Latin
and English abbreviations such as q.4 hours (every 4 hours) have become commonplace. However, as with all abbreviations, avoid those that are
obscure (like a.c.b. for before breakfast) or dangerous. For example, b.i.w. is
both obscure and dangerous. It is intended to mean twice weekly but it
could be mistaken for twice daily, resulting in a dosage frequency seven
times that intended.
Note: AAMT continues to discourage

Here is what my BOS says (not sure if 2 or 3) - this is from Benchmark KB

[ In Reply To ..]

Drug terminology: Use lowercase abbreviations with periods for Latin abbreviations that are related to doses and dosages. Do not use abbreviations found on the "Dangerous Abbreviations" list from ISMP (See 9.3.2—ISMP Recommendations—above). Avoid using all capitals because they emphasize the abbreviation rather than the drug name. Avoid lowercase abbreviations without periods because some may be misread as words. Do not translate.

Abbreviation Latin Phrase English Translation
a.c. ante cibum before food
b.i.d. bis in die twice a day
gtt. guttae drops (spell out)
n.p.o. nil per os nothing by mouth
n.r. non repetatur do not repeat
p.c. post cibum after food
p.o. per os by mouth
p.r.n. pro re nata as needed
q.4 h. quaque 4 hora every 4 hours
q.h. quaque hora every hour
q.i.d. quarter in die four times a day
t.i.d. ter in die three times a day
u.d. ut dictum as directed

Note: We have inserted a space after the numeral 4 in q.4 h. on the advice of ISMP so that the number is more easily and clearly read. Invalid Latin abbreviations such as q.a.m. (every morning) and mixed Latin and English abbreviations such as q.4 hours (every 4 hours) have become commonplace. However, as with all abbreviations, avoid those that are obscure (like a.c.b. for before breakfast) or dangerous. For example, b.i.w. is both obscure and dangerous. It is intended to mean twice weekly but it could be mistaken for twice daily resulting in a dosage frequency seven times that intended.

Here is what it says about terms dictated in full - Amber

[ In Reply To ..]

Do not use an abbreviation when a term is dictated in full. Exception: Units of measure.

Some facilities allow for the abbreviation of dosage instructions when dictated in full. AHDI does not recommend doing this arbitrarily unless the provider/facility clearly has a preference for this practice. If facility preference is unknown, transcribe in full as dictated. If facility preference dictates abbreviation of these terms, even if dictated in full, be careful not to use any of the dosage abbreviations that appear on the dangerous abbreviations list (See 9.3—Dangerous Abbreviations—below).

EXAMPLE

D: The patient is to take Tylenol three times a day as needed for pain.
T: The patient is to take Tylenol t.i.d. p.r.n. pain. (when facility preference is known)
or:
T: The patient is to take Tylenol three times a day as needed for pain. (in all other instances)

I would think this would go with the q.4 hours thing...unless it is the client preference to have q.4 h, if they dictate q.4 hours you should transcribe q.4 hours.

It is the 3rd edition - just found it - Amber

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

Similar Messages:

Proper Way To Type It
Dec 19, 2014

Doc just says in Diagnosis "3 4 neuroma" Should that be 3/4, 3-4, 3,4 or other? ...

Proper Way To Type A Word
Feb 08, 2010

Just wondering...what is the proper way of typing CO2? ...

What Is The Proper Way To Type SubQ?
Mar 28, 2014

Warfarin subQ b.i.d. TYIA. ...

Proper Way To Type Out Degree Of Burns
Oct 21, 2010

Can someone help me with the proper way to type third degree burns or 3rd degree burns.  thanks so much. ...

Proper Way To Type 10 And A Half Ounces?
Sep 26, 2011

I'm new to the AAMT book of style and just want to confirm...If dictation states 10 and a half ounces, do you type it as 10.5 ounces?  Thanks! ...

Proper Way To Type Smoking History
Sep 30, 2011

What is the proper way to transcribe: "... a 25 to 30-pack-year history of smoking..." Can someone please provide a reference in the BOS (3rd edition). Thanks!! ...

Proper Way To Type This Kind Of Drug Dosage?
Oct 22, 2010

.... 25 mg one-half daily, .... 5 mg one daily. Should I type it like that ^^ or should I use numbers? - 25 mg 1/2 daily, 5 mg 1 daily?? I know the BOS says to type out one number when there are 2 consecutive numbers, but these are technically not consecutive since they are seperated by mg. I can't find any official rules on what I should do here. any help appreciated. ...

Proper Way To Type Years Of Residency...please See Message
Jul 25, 2012

A resident is dictating a letter for a doctor and I am not sure of the proper way to type the year of residency:  "Dictated by Dr. Carol Smith, Resident 3, for Dr. Jones."  OR:  "Dictated by Dr. Carol Smith, Resident III, for Dr. Jones."  TIA! ...

What Is The Proper Way To Type "acute On Chronic?"
Mar 03, 2010

Is it acute-on-chronic?  Or acute on chronic? ...

Who Would Type 10 Or 12 Hours A Day To RAISE
Aug 12, 2011

For that paltry 2 week's a year and no sick leave????  I think the ones typing off the clock are either trying to make a decent check or at least get their minimum lines and not get fired.  ...

Trying To Type For 8 Hours And Having No Flexibility
Oct 20, 2012

Having a problem trying to type for 8 hours and having no flexibility. Any suggestions? ...

Referring Physician Vs Requesting Physician
Apr 30, 2013

What is the difference between referring physician and requesting physician? ...

On Average How Many Hours Would It Take To Type 1750 Lines Per Day With Straight Typing??? Thanks. N
Jun 01, 2012

nm ...

Just Applied To Nuance. Curious What Hours Most Of You Work And What Hours 2nd Shift Is?
Jul 10, 2012

Please don't discourage me from applying to Nuance.  I just lost my job today and I need a job BAD!  Plus, I've only got two semesters of college left before I graduate and move out of this field.  Anyway, can someone tell me what 2nd shift hours are? And I'm curious to know when most of you work. Thanks ...

Shesh. Been Sitting Here 6 Hours For 3-1/2 Hours Of Work.
Apr 17, 2013

Somehow, I think we should be getting paid for the time we are waiting between jobs, especially since the wait isn't fitting into the 15-minute wait period. - Of course, waiting put under work availability. ...

Department Of Labor Says 40 Hours Equals 40 Hours...
Sep 16, 2014

...check it out for yourselves. Employees are not independent contractors. If you signed up for a straight 8 per day, your time sheet should reflect only the breaks you take off the clock. They are so messing with you folks! ...

Physician Look-ups
Nov 23, 2010

Does anyone have any good websites for looking up physician names?  Started a new job and I am all over the country on some of these physicians.  Sometimes i have a full name, other times just a last name and no clue as to what the speciality is.  Thanks in advance for your help.  ...

Physician Thank You
Dec 08, 2014

So, I'm editing this report and it comes to the end and the physician states, "Transcriptionist, thank you so very, very much.  I appreciate you and your work."  Totally made my day!  Since this physican doesn't know it was me doing the report, I wanted to pass it on so hopefully it'll make someone else's day too.  Please no negative comments.  I have enough negative (as we all do).  Let me just enjoy the thank-you, and even more the appreciatio ...

Resident Physician
Nov 26, 2010

I have alway been told when in doubt, leave a blank. Resident did not give attending physician's name. There was a doctor's name in the hearder as attending, but I  was not sure so I left the attending line blank at the bottom of the report. My boss calls me and tell s me to go on a limb and guess in the future.  I do not like those ethics because it leaves me up for problems in the future.  Comments welcomed. ...

Physician's Addresses
Sep 01, 2011

What's a good website to use to get current addresses of physicians?  Thanks ...

One Physician Transcription
Oct 06, 2011

I have been approached by a physician to do his transcription.  This is to be done at home.  What equipment will I need for transcribing  --- also, what equipment will the physician need for dictating?  I appreciate all your suggestions.  I have done transcription for this doc at a hospital.  The hospital went voice recognition -- using a company 100+ miles away.  He wants me to do the transcription for surgeries he does in a different location other than ...

Associated Or Associative Physician
Sep 14, 2012

The doctor I transcribe for sometimes says "Associated Physician" and sometimes says "Associative Physician" and then lists the doctor's name.   Sometimes he will also list a "Primary Physician."  Just curious to see if there is a difference between associated vs associative and if one would be better than the other in this situation.  Any thoughts? Thanks! ...

Another Physician's Comments On Using The EMR
Nov 23, 2012

Below is a link to a NY Times editorial.  "The advent of electronic medical records has been a boon to patient safety and physician efficiency in many ways. But it has also brought with it a slew of “timesaving” tricks that have had some unintended consequences. These tricks make it so easy for doctors to document the results of standard exams and conversations with patients that it appears more and more of them are being documented without ever having happened in the first pla ...

Physician Scribes
Jun 21, 2013

Physician scribe jobs have just come to my attention.  Been browsing the Internet and heard about it locally, too.  Can't find a really detailed description of what these scribes actually do in a day's work.  Anyone know?  Thanks! ...

PSA: Consulting Physician
Oct 03, 2013

I admit, this is a huge pet peeve of mine.  The consulting physician is the one who goes to see the patient at the request of the REFERRING physician.  I wish I could get some docs to read this and state the difference.  If I was typing, I could just correct it right away but I have to correct it on the VR.  ...

Just A Message From A Physician
May 21, 2015

Hello everyone and sorry to intrude. I just wanted to say thank you. I'm a hospitalist physician and I dictate daily. I would say about 10% of my dictations contain a "_______" that needs to be corrected, maybe less...and I am someone who mutters a LOT. So I'm surprised it's not a much higher percentage. And when I hear some of my fellow internationally-born docs dictate, I'm amazed that ANYONE, let alone someone over the phone, would be able to understand what this person i ...

What Is The Proper Way
Aug 01, 2010

crow's feet crows' feet crows feet THANKS!!  ...

Physician Do Not Dictate List
Mar 15, 2010

Since we have a (lengthy) Do Not Use list, I think the doctors should be versed in proper dictating form with a Do Not Dictate list to include "next", "next number", "new line", "skip line", "and", and "uh, uh, uh" and all those other little irritating words that ASR loves!  Charge them 3 cents MORE per line of dictation if they can't maintain 98% with no blanks sent back to them!!!!!!!! ...

Need Opinions Please ... On IME The Physician Dictates .... (sm)
Aug 17, 2010

Most vena cava clips these days can be MRIed - MRId ........ Would it be ed behind MRI or just the d?  Both look very odd.   TIA ...

Bowing To Physician's Wishes
Jun 24, 2011

Just got an E-mail from our QA person stating that a physician is complaining that we are not sending CC's to the PCP that he gives at the beginning of the report.  Now, I do realize that this information has been placed into the Client Profile under specific instructions for this physician, but sometimes when you are working on the same facility and feel comfortable you stop looking at the CP for every single MD.  This is not a facility I type on often, and apparently it is not j ...