A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

What is the proper way to type "acute on chronic?" - lorimt12

Posted: Mar 03, 2010

Is it acute-on-chronic?  Or acute on chronic?

Hyphens - MT

[ In Reply To ..]
Technically, it would be acute-on-chronic kidney disease, yet chronic kidney disease, acute on chronic. However, I think the hyphen is a bit much here, so I leave it off in all cases for this. Doubt you could get in much trouble for using it in my first example, though.

Thank you! - lorimt12

[ In Reply To ..]

You're Welcome! - MT

[ In Reply To ..]
You are very welcome, but anything can happen, so don't take my word! I personally don't fret over this one, though. Most people who do our grading/auditing do not mark down for such silly things. I don't think so, anyway.

Similar Messages:

Acute-on-chronic Or Acute On Chronic
Feb 06, 2010

How would  you type this... Acute-on-chronic or acute on chronic? ...

Acute On Chronic
May 22, 2010

Which is the correct way -- acute on chronic or acute-on-chronic? ...

Acute-on-chronic Vs Acute On Chronic
May 31, 2011

I have used acute-on-chronic for years, but more recently my VR prints out acute on chronic.  Did I miss something?  i.e. acute-on-chronic kidney disease. ...

Acute On Chronic COPD
Jan 11, 2012

SOAP report, under A. Is it transcribed as "Acute on chronic chronic obstructive pulmonary disease" or "Acute on chronic obstructive pulmonary disease"? ...

Which Is It Guys! Acute AND Chronic Back Pain
Mar 20, 2010

I just received my audit of five reports and in the diagnosis I put: Acute and chronic low back pain.  I received a minor feedback and it was changed in the diagnosis to: Acute on chronic low back pain.  Is this something new that I am not aware of? ...

Proper Way To Type It
Dec 19, 2014

Doc just says in Diagnosis "3 4 neuroma" Should that be 3/4, 3-4, 3,4 or other? ...

Proper Way To Type A Word
Feb 08, 2010

Just wondering...what is the proper way of typing CO2? ...

What Is The Proper Way To Type SubQ?
Mar 28, 2014

Warfarin subQ b.i.d. TYIA. ...

Proper Way To Type Out Degree Of Burns
Oct 21, 2010

Can someone help me with the proper way to type third degree burns or 3rd degree burns.  thanks so much. ...

Proper Way To Type 10 And A Half Ounces?
Sep 26, 2011

I'm new to the AAMT book of style and just want to confirm...If dictation states 10 and a half ounces, do you type it as 10.5 ounces?  Thanks! ...

Proper Way To Type Smoking History
Sep 30, 2011

What is the proper way to transcribe: "... a 25 to 30-pack-year history of smoking..." Can someone please provide a reference in the BOS (3rd edition). Thanks!! ...

Proper Way To Type This Kind Of Drug Dosage?
Oct 22, 2010

.... 25 mg one-half daily, .... 5 mg one daily. Should I type it like that ^^ or should I use numbers? - 25 mg 1/2 daily, 5 mg 1 daily?? I know the BOS says to type out one number when there are 2 consecutive numbers, but these are technically not consecutive since they are seperated by mg. I can't find any official rules on what I should do here. any help appreciated. ...

Proper Way To Type Years Of Residency...please See Message
Jul 25, 2012

A resident is dictating a letter for a doctor and I am not sure of the proper way to type the year of residency:  "Dictated by Dr. Carol Smith, Resident 3, for Dr. Jones."  OR:  "Dictated by Dr. Carol Smith, Resident III, for Dr. Jones."  TIA! ...

Is 7 Cpl Straight Type Standard For Acute Care Part Time? NM
Oct 03, 2012

What Is The Proper Way To Type Q.4 H. When The Physician Says Q.4 Hours Not Q.4 "H" Sm
May 06, 2011

I do not have the third edition BOS and curious as to what it says also.  Thanks ...

Chronic Bysacalebrium?
Nov 10, 2011

S/s Chronic bysacalebrium from a spina bifida.   Not sure if it starts with a B. Sounds like it definitely ends with "brium". I'm having a heck of a time finding anything remotely like it or a list of things caused by spina bifida. ...

Medication For Chronic Pain
Nov 07, 2009

This is a patient with chronic neck pain who takes hydrocodone 7.5/325 and what sounds like "carcithordal" 325 mg 4  times daily - any ideas ...

ASR Chronic Errors List
Sep 09, 2010

Here are some of my observances of chronic ASR errors, though sometimes it gets it right.  Most are not a biggie, but one could get marked down on an audit. 1.  BiPaP.  Should be BiPAP.  2.  Levothyroxine.  ASR capitalizes the "L" for some reason.  This med is a generic for the brand Levothyroid.  Should be levothyroxine. 3.  FIO2.  Should be FiO2. 4.  Hospice.  In the English dictionary, this is simply hospice. If a specific organi ...

Chronic (s/l) Tonsillus Production?
Oct 13, 2010

Tonsillectomy report and it says, "She also has chronic tonsillus production?"  It s/l tonsillus or tonsillis? Does anyone know what that word could be?  Thanks. ...

Chronic Woody Cholecystitis?
Oct 26, 2010

He is clearly stating "woody" but is it spelled like this?  Thanks. ...

Chronic Tonsil Infection
Jul 10, 2012

She has (deforter) breathing and (epic) episodes per her mother. Help! ...

Chronic Kidney Disease
May 27, 2013

Doctor is dicating what s/l:  patient was admitted to the (GEM) unit?; the patient has chronic kidney disease..thx ...

S/l Chronic Tropic-impairing Medicines
Nov 04, 2009

Diltiazem, digoxin, and s/l chronic tropic-impairing medicines are now stopped. Patient has atrial arrythmia. ...

Q About Staging Of Chronic Kidney Disease
Jan 15, 2010

Doc dictates "The patient has a history of chronic kidney disease (stage 4 to stage 5) ?!?!  is that how it is transcribed per the BOS II ... I just moved and cannot locate my book for verification. ...

S/l Coryzal Chronic Liver Disease..help Please
Jun 11, 2010

scheduled for upper endoscopy to rule out s/l "coryzal" chrinic liver disease???   TY ...

Chronic Renal Insufficiency, Secondary To
Mar 06, 2011

Chronic renal insufficiency, secondary to s/l "knee-fur" sclerosis ...

S/l Chronic Small Drain Hepatitis B
Feb 15, 2012

s/l Chronic small drain hepatitis B ...

What Is The Proper Way
Aug 01, 2010

crow's feet crows' feet crows feet THANKS!!  ...

A Test For Chronic Kidney Disease. S/l ''P-urea''
Dec 03, 2009

A 57-year-old woman with chronic kidney disease.  In the Plan, dr (soft spoken with heavy accent) says "We will do a (s/l) P-urea or (s/l) Fe-urea.'' ?   Thanks very much for any help. ...

Chronic Kidney Disease Consultation Report
May 15, 2012

which of the 2 is correct: a.) Lasix 60 mg present by EMF b.)Lasix 60 mg present by EMS? ...