A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Department of Labor says 40 hours equals 40 hours... - if that is your commitment

Posted: Sep 16, 2014

...check it out for yourselves. Employees are not independent contractors. If you signed up for a straight 8 per day, your time sheet should reflect only the breaks you take off the clock. They are so messing with you folks!

Could you elaborate? - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
Is your post regarding how you code your time card? For instance, you do not have work, and you code time card OOW, if allowed by TSM? Or are you saying that if you signed up for 40 hours (or whatever) and you do not have work that equals 40 hours (or whatever) for the week, you are supposed to get 40 hours of work per week since you are are not an IC? If that is the case, how is that applicable to part-time employees who might not even be getting the 20 hours of work a week they signed up for, if that is the point of your post? Don't mean to be dense. Bear with me.

40 hours - Smalltowngal

[ In Reply To ..]
I am sure the OP will respond, but I think she means if you are hired for an 8 hour day, let's say 8-4:30 or whatever depending on breaks, that is what you work. If they don't have work, that should not be your concern and you should not have to take PTO to compensate. You should log on at the beginning of your shift, work and log off at the end. Now the problem is, if you don't have work and sit there for your full shift, you don't make any money and they could care less. When I was at MM and the NJA was on a regular basis, I took that time to find another job. Again, like she said, they are messing with you to their advantage not yours. Then there is applying for partial UE too. I never did that, so don't much about it, but a lot of MTs do that as well. Make these companies accountable for your work, not the other way around. Log off when you are done and that's it. If they fire you because of not meeting your line count, then report them to the Dept of Labor and collect UE and find a lawyer! Hit them where they live and stop being abused by these places!

Smalltowngirl explains it perfectly. They pay you minimum wage - for your state if not providing you work.

[ In Reply To ..]
Also, just like she said, the downside is you only make minimum wage. The upside, it does not happen real often in a row if your supervisor values HER job. Nuance hates paying make-up pay worse than they hate employees who know the real score.

40 hours committment - ANON

[ In Reply To ..]
The fact that they have you sign a paper and return it stating YOUR schedule that they agreed upon on hire, tell you you MUST adhere to it or you will be fired, then turn right around and leave OT open at all times even when work is low and THEN have nerve to tell us to "flex and make it up when work is available" (at THEIR convenience of course as it has to be approved by them) is against Labor practice as well. It may be "at will" to hire and fire, but what is agreed upon, and signed, is still a contract.

It is simple. If there is not enough work to get in - your time for the week, file partial UE.

[ In Reply To ..]
People have been doing it forever. You file for those weeks when the work is not available and your income drops. If you have a full week of work, you don't file for that week. There is nothing Nuance can do about it, it's perfectly legal.

Similar Messages:

How The Hospital Department Covers Weekend Shifts/hours
Jan 24, 2014

I am curious if anyone is an at-home transcriptionist who works for a hospital and how the department covers weekend shifts/hours. Also curious what kind of hours you are required to work during the week and how many people are on the transcription team.  Or if you'd just share what your company does for scheduling and what the hours are.  I am looking for some ideas for our team.   Small hospital.  Weekend coverage only includes priority jobs (H&Ps). Thanks! ...

Has Anyone Taken Their Work Hours To The Labor Comissioner (sm)
Oct 16, 2012

If so, what state are you in and what was the result? ...

Just Applied To Nuance. Curious What Hours Most Of You Work And What Hours 2nd Shift Is?
Jul 10, 2012

Please don't discourage me from applying to Nuance.  I just lost my job today and I need a job BAD!  Plus, I've only got two semesters of college left before I graduate and move out of this field.  Anyway, can someone tell me what 2nd shift hours are? And I'm curious to know when most of you work. Thanks ...

Shesh. Been Sitting Here 6 Hours For 3-1/2 Hours Of Work.
Apr 17, 2013

Somehow, I think we should be getting paid for the time we are waiting between jobs, especially since the wait isn't fitting into the 15-minute wait period. - Of course, waiting put under work availability. ...

Department Of Labor Audit
May 07, 2015

I received an email recently from my company stating that they were undergoing a random DOL audit followed by a questionnaire in the mail from the DOL...which the company stated was voluntary and it was up to us to decide if we wanted to answer it.  Just wondering if anyone has experienced this and knows what is going on and how this could affect our jobs?  I am currently working as an independent contractor on a Veterans Affairs account and would like to keep my job...a ...

Webmedx/Department Of Labor Cold Call???
Jan 27, 2011

Just curious, Has anyone, working for Webmedx, received an anaymous call, from the Department of Revenue, requesting information about your salary at Webmedx, stating they received your information as part of a list of employees from Webmedx??? I declined to answer as the individual could/would not provide any identifying information, including name, and the number was blocked.  Please advise as I am concerned about possible identity theft, especially in light of the fact that I am not e ...

Survey Of Interest For Department Of Labor Suit.
May 07, 2015

I've been observing Medquist/M*modal for the past number of years since their previous law suit. The technologies they have employed as of late are widely viewed as intentionally inhibiting, many employees stating that this speech recognition program, as well as constant shuffling of work pools, or "pods" prevent the familiarity that is central to profit,accuracy, and productivity. I intend to gauge the interest and willingness of participation in the current M*modal employee community. Pl ...

Has Anyone Reported A Company To The Department Of Labor For Unpaid Overtime?
Aug 06, 2011

If you have, can you explain the process?  Did you supply them with a weekly log of your hours?  Did you file to the state you reside or the Department of Labor where your company has its main office?  How long did it take to get your check;-)  How were you paid - did they figure an average hourly rate as we are paid per line?  Any info appreciated.  ...

Anyone Had Successfully Filed A Claim With The Department Of Labor Regarding Unpaid Time?
Oct 03, 2013

I was wondering if anyone had successfully filed a claim with the Department of Labor regarding unpaid time waiting for jobs or being "engaged to wait."  ...

Is It Possible To Get 40 Hours' Work In 40 Hours?
Aug 09, 2014

If it takes more, how many more? I realize this is an answer dependent on many factors, but I'm talking in general terms. Thank you. ...

Less Than 24 Hours PT??
Nov 20, 2009

I understand with 24 hours you get PTO, but can you be scheduled for less than 24. That is a lot for a PT position. Most companies only require 20 per week. ...

Q8h Or Every Eight Hours?
Mar 12, 2010

Which is correct? I thought I had remembered something from the BOS (which I can't find in my office right now) that said if the dictator said q 8 hours then it should be spelled out as every eight hours. Is that correct or am I losing my mind? ...

Best Hours
Aug 28, 2010

I know there are so many on here who are fed up with Medquist.  But, can anyone tell me if there is any shift or days that work is usually available?  Overnight shift?  Evenings?  I have 2 friends who work for MQ and they are not out of jobs when they work.  (well, that's what they tell me).  They said it actually just depends on the account.   Is anybody here OK with MQ, maybe not perfectly happy, but not destitute either?  TIA ...

Every 4 Hours
Jun 29, 2011

so can someone clear me up about how to type q4h   ?? (as in every 4 hours).    thanks! ...

Only 8 Hours...
Dec 08, 2011

Ok, I'm not as fast as I used to be and the doctors keep giving names of physicians that are not on their list and are spelled different ways so I take the time to look them up because blanks are not a thing I like to leave on a report.  Today we get an email that we can no longer work off the clock which for me is a problem.  Do you take the time to look things up like that or what do you do to get past the OCD of trying not to leave a blank?  I feel like MQ is chasing ...

Q.6-8 Hours?
Apr 25, 2012

Doc says q. 6 to 8 hours with food.  Is that transcribed "q.6-8 hours"? Thanks for any help! ...

TTS - 8 Hours
Jul 15, 2012

I thought if we logged 7 hrs/day was considered okay, but now I'm getting notices that it is supposed to be 8 hrs/day - 8 hrs a day of actual transcription is pretty hard to concentrate - the mind and body has to take breaks! ...

So Far (2 Hours In) Don't Like DQS 7 -
Jul 24, 2012

Can we change the color of the audio highlight.  Mine is purple and it is driving me nuts.  It used to be yellow in the old DQS.  Thanks ...

Hours For FT Or PT? Sm
Sep 05, 2012

How many hours are considered FT?  How about for PT work?  Thanks. ...

PT Less Than 20 Hours. Possible??
Jul 16, 2013

As hard as it is for Nuance to get/retain employees has anyone every been able to negotiate for less than 20 hours PT with them? ...

PT Is How Many Hours?
Jan 20, 2014

I am planning on going PT, the least amount of PT as possible as I have been diagnosed with CHF and atrial fib and the stress of this job will wind up killing me.  I am already on partial retirement, so just need a few extra hours/week.  What is the least amount of PT hours a person can work?  Thank you. ...

13 Hours To Go
Feb 20, 2014

I have 13 hours left to work at this company and then I am done.  I am typing what I consider good grammar for the ESLs and not worrying about an audit.  My blood pressure has come down.  I am cruising, not swearing and can finally see the light at the end of the tunnel and it is not a train.  This company has been wonderful to me for most of my time as an MT.  I am saddened by the changes that have happened in the last few years.  I am going to work in Central Supp ...

OOW Yet Again. Twice In Less Than 2 Hours. What Is Up?
Apr 16, 2014

Have less than 3 hours of PTO. This is getting really old. ...

Regarding The PTO And 104 Hours Without Pay...
Jun 18, 2014

I noticed when I took a day off without pay, at the end of the pay period, the PTO earned shown in UltriPro was only 4.14 hours instead of 4.62. Does this mean if we take any of that 104 hours of unpaid time off they were so generous to give us, our actual paid time off will be cut?   Has anyone else noticed this?  How sleezy. ...

PT 16 Hours
Aug 17, 2014

Does anybody work less than 20 hours?  I now work 24 hours, but due to a medical condition, I am finding it hard to work 24 hours, 16 would be much better.  Does anyone know if they make exceptions to the rule of at least 24 hours? ...

How Are You Getting Your Hours In?
Feb 17, 2015

How are you all getting your hours in with the current low volumes? I do not work without being paid so I will NOT sit around 16 hours a day waiting for a report or 2 to come trickling in. Is everyone having this issue. I used to have a couple of exclusives who, since the TSM was let go, are no longer exclusives with no explanation as to why the change. So now I am pretty much at the mercy of what comes in and when, and as I said, I don't give any company my time without compensation fo ...

PT Hours
Mar 06, 2015

Does anyone work 12 or 16 hours/week?  I see in the policies there are such hours that can be worked.  I am wondering how to go about switching.  Should I just tell my manager next pay period I have to switch to 12 or 16 hours?  It is due to medical conditions and I just got disability but I find I need a little bit more money/month to feel safe.  Im wondering if they will give me grief.  I have been here 17 years and always pass my audits, the last 2 audits were 99 ...

PT Hours Question
Oct 14, 2009

Two questions:  If you sign on to Medquist part time, is there a certain number of hours/schedule that you have to adhere to?  Also, can you go over that number of hours (work extra) or do you need permission to do so? ...

Why Do They Keep Asking For Extra Hours?
Nov 10, 2009

I don't know about you all but my CCM is constantly asking us to work "extra," even when there are no late jobs and not an over abundance of dictation.  What is the deal?  The other night we were requested to work at least 1 extra hour.  Tonight they are asking again.  I don't know about you all but I have a family and other things I like to do other than work.  Don't they realize we have lives away from MQ???  Besides, that extra hour is really not g ...

So You Can't Roll Over 40 Hours PTO?
Dec 12, 2009

I always thought that you could carry over PTO under 40 hours into the new year but someone was telling me today that they did away with that policy or are doing away with that policy and that you will loose everything now and start fresh with PTO.... So is that true or is she just mistaken?  If that is the case I am SCREWED because I didn't ask for any time off this season and will lose about 30 hours.... so I hope it is not. ...