A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Physician Scribes - Cheela

Posted: Jun 21, 2013

Physician scribe jobs have just come to my attention.  Been browsing the Internet and heard about it locally, too.  Can't find a really detailed description of what these scribes actually do in a day's work.  Anyone know?  Thanks!

They follow the MD around and - more

[ In Reply To ..]
write down the PE findings, enter data into the EMR, sometimes do the dictation. There may be other duties - whatever the doctor needs. I have seen a few ads for this job before.

When I looked into it . . . - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
In my area they weren't paying all that well. NOW, they are paid more than what I am making. Ain't that a kick in the pants?

Similar Messages:

Referring Physician Vs Requesting Physician
Apr 30, 2013

What is the difference between referring physician and requesting physician? ...

The New MT -- Medical Scribes?
Oct 09, 2011

Does anyone have good input on whether medical scribes are the new medical transcriptionists only being filled my medical students, medical assistants or a part-time or piecemeal clerk at a lower rate (hourly or by piece) than medical transcriptionists -- if lower pay is even possible? Also, what are any inputs on RHIT and the medical coding future? I already have a bachelor's degree but thought about another associate degree in RHIT in a CAHIIM accredited program. From your viewpoint, wou ...

Information About Scribes?
Nov 09, 2011

Can anybody give me information about scribes?  I just applied for a job that is for a medical transcriptionist/medical assistant which requires the transcriptionist to scribe for the doctor.  I'm concluding that you are in with the doctor and patient and basically just typing what he is saying during the appt rather than doc trying to treat the patient and document information at the same time.  Do these types of positions usually get paid higher than a transcriptionist?  Thanks for an ...

Medical Scribes...
Sep 13, 2012

Has anyone ever worked as a "Medical Scribe?" Will you tell me about it, please? ...

Remote Scribes
Jun 24, 2013

We all know the frustration in dictation where they don't use a pause button, how our salaries dwindle to nothing as a result.  I noted an ad on the Job Seeker's Board to train to become a "remote scribe" for .07 to .08 CPL.  Doesn't it seem this would also dwindle to nothing as it seems there would be far more waiting for data to enter and would take forever to complete a line if you are working in real time.  Anyone have any info on how this would work? ...

MTs Will Make The Best Scribes
Sep 05, 2013

There is a budding new profession, for which MTs will be perfect.  It's explained in an article at http://smartype.com/id12.html.  Both the demand and the pay for transcription are dropping precipitously.  It's a good time to consider a career transition.  The tough part will be finding physicians who recognize that their lives will be immensely better if they have YOU doing all their EHR documentation...and that it's easily worth $40K per year. ...

Has Anybody Heard Of Scribes?
Oct 23, 2013

Has anybody heard of scribes?  Is this something that someone who has worked in medical transcription could possibly go into?  ...

Virtual Scribes
Apr 02, 2014

I ran across a company offering virtual scribes. Their scribes sound like a cross between transcriptionist, coding, assistant. It is done over the internet. The company I ran across is Physicians Angels. I could not find any career page to check out possible positions/requirements, and I don't know if it is done by ILPs, although their office is in the states. Anyone heard of virtual scribes and know of other companies that do this? Always looking for a way to break away from ...

Med-scribes In Naples, FL
May 07, 2014

Any information is appreciated...in particular, having to work too many accounts and OOW situations. THANK YOU. ...

PAY FOR VIRTUAL SCRIBES
Jun 12, 2015

My question is this...if you were working as a virtual scribe (via hipaa compliant video) from home what would you expect the pay per patient to be? Not hourly, just per patient that you documented and turned in to your supervisor at end of day...keep in mind you'd probably be on video about 4 hours a day. I'm really interested to see the responses to this question. ...

Scribes - Starting Salary
Mar 30, 2010

I do medical transcription for a local specialty practice.  They are transitioning to EHR and gave notice to their MTs that they would be cutting back on their MT needs starting next week.  Today, the office mgr. called and asked if I would be interested in a Scribe position.  In short, I am.  The manager would like to learn my salary requirements.  I am thinking of asking to start at $10/hour.  Does that seem reasonable.  N.B. Idaho ranks 49/50 in per capita i ...

Are Scribes Taking MT Jobs Away?
Dec 04, 2010

http://ahdilounge.blogspot.com/2010/11/trsi-to-train-medical-scribes.html?showComment=1291473665715#c222684303620260150 ...

Been Hearing A Lot About Medical Scribes
May 30, 2012

I have been hearing a lot about medical scribes.  I am wondering if the transcription companies are going to start losing accounts because the doctors are going to switch to this new way of doing the medical records.  Has this happened to anyone yet? ...

Interesting Article About Scribes, Etc.
Aug 28, 2013

"Wow, the rates have gone down! Only $8-$10 per hour for these folks? That̢۪s great! Minimum wage in Oregon is currently $8.40 per hour. That means that I can get someone smart enough to learn medical terminology (the average medical student̢۪s vocabulary doubles over four years of medical school), operate an EMR (every one is different, and most all of them are hideously complex), listen carefully (a rare commodity in itself), type quickly (remember, the average follow-up visit only las ...

NY Times Article About Scribes
Jan 14, 2014

Our world is ever changing, do you fight it or find a way to advance with it.   Here is a NYtimes article about scribes..  It covers the third person in the room syndrome.     http://www.nytimes.com/2014/01/14/health/a-busy-doctors-right-hand-ever-ready-to-type.html?emc=eta1&_r=0 ...

Interesting Article On Scribes...
Mar 01, 2014

From Health Care IT News - February 2014.  Interview with an ER doctor about using scribes in the ER and the process of documenting/entering information. http://www.healthcareitnews.com/blog/medical-scribes-history-present-illness-now-narrative ...

Will Meaningful Use Requirements Knock Out Scribes?
May 03, 2012

Interesting article about stage 2 meaningful use, particularly committees trying to decide if it prohibits anyone but a physician entering data into the EMR.  The article specifically references scribes, but I wonder what the implications are for MT. http://www.healthcareitnews.com/news/do-doctors-have-be-typists-get-mu-incentives ...

Oranges And Apples --- EHR And Point-n-click And Scribes
Nov 10, 2011

I think these ideas are getting used interchangeably when they are very different applications.  EHR is still transcribed documents, just not paper charts.  Facilities have already been on this for a good while now and the transcriptionist will basically see no difference as we don't usually handle a chart anyways in-house or virtually.  However, it is the point-n-click programs that are phasing out the transcribed document.  ...

Physician Look-ups
Nov 23, 2010

Does anyone have any good websites for looking up physician names?  Started a new job and I am all over the country on some of these physicians.  Sometimes i have a full name, other times just a last name and no clue as to what the speciality is.  Thanks in advance for your help.  ...

Physician Thank You
Dec 08, 2014

So, I'm editing this report and it comes to the end and the physician states, "Transcriptionist, thank you so very, very much.  I appreciate you and your work."  Totally made my day!  Since this physican doesn't know it was me doing the report, I wanted to pass it on so hopefully it'll make someone else's day too.  Please no negative comments.  I have enough negative (as we all do).  Let me just enjoy the thank-you, and even more the appreciatio ...

Resident Physician
Nov 26, 2010

I have alway been told when in doubt, leave a blank. Resident did not give attending physician's name. There was a doctor's name in the hearder as attending, but I  was not sure so I left the attending line blank at the bottom of the report. My boss calls me and tell s me to go on a limb and guess in the future.  I do not like those ethics because it leaves me up for problems in the future.  Comments welcomed. ...

Physician's Addresses
Sep 01, 2011

What's a good website to use to get current addresses of physicians?  Thanks ...

One Physician Transcription
Oct 06, 2011

I have been approached by a physician to do his transcription.  This is to be done at home.  What equipment will I need for transcribing  --- also, what equipment will the physician need for dictating?  I appreciate all your suggestions.  I have done transcription for this doc at a hospital.  The hospital went voice recognition -- using a company 100+ miles away.  He wants me to do the transcription for surgeries he does in a different location other than ...

Associated Or Associative Physician
Sep 14, 2012

The doctor I transcribe for sometimes says "Associated Physician" and sometimes says "Associative Physician" and then lists the doctor's name.   Sometimes he will also list a "Primary Physician."  Just curious to see if there is a difference between associated vs associative and if one would be better than the other in this situation.  Any thoughts? Thanks! ...

Another Physician's Comments On Using The EMR
Nov 23, 2012

Below is a link to a NY Times editorial.  "The advent of electronic medical records has been a boon to patient safety and physician efficiency in many ways. But it has also brought with it a slew of “timesaving” tricks that have had some unintended consequences. These tricks make it so easy for doctors to document the results of standard exams and conversations with patients that it appears more and more of them are being documented without ever having happened in the first pla ...

PSA: Consulting Physician
Oct 03, 2013

I admit, this is a huge pet peeve of mine.  The consulting physician is the one who goes to see the patient at the request of the REFERRING physician.  I wish I could get some docs to read this and state the difference.  If I was typing, I could just correct it right away but I have to correct it on the VR.  ...

Just A Message From A Physician
May 21, 2015

Hello everyone and sorry to intrude. I just wanted to say thank you. I'm a hospitalist physician and I dictate daily. I would say about 10% of my dictations contain a "_______" that needs to be corrected, maybe less...and I am someone who mutters a LOT. So I'm surprised it's not a much higher percentage. And when I hear some of my fellow internationally-born docs dictate, I'm amazed that ANYONE, let alone someone over the phone, would be able to understand what this person i ...

Physician Do Not Dictate List
Mar 15, 2010

Since we have a (lengthy) Do Not Use list, I think the doctors should be versed in proper dictating form with a Do Not Dictate list to include "next", "next number", "new line", "skip line", "and", and "uh, uh, uh" and all those other little irritating words that ASR loves!  Charge them 3 cents MORE per line of dictation if they can't maintain 98% with no blanks sent back to them!!!!!!!! ...

Need Opinions Please ... On IME The Physician Dictates .... (sm)
Aug 17, 2010

Most vena cava clips these days can be MRIed - MRId ........ Would it be ed behind MRI or just the d?  Both look very odd.   TIA ...

Bowing To Physician's Wishes
Jun 24, 2011

Just got an E-mail from our QA person stating that a physician is complaining that we are not sending CC's to the PCP that he gives at the beginning of the report.  Now, I do realize that this information has been placed into the Client Profile under specific instructions for this physician, but sometimes when you are working on the same facility and feel comfortable you stop looking at the CP for every single MD.  This is not a facility I type on often, and apparently it is not j ...